Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The argument is that the spray painted statements are vandalism, and vandalism is undeniably a crime, but the type of statements made (e.g., all this racist shit) can't be punished more or less than other statements (e.g., spray painting "BURTON IS A BUTTFACE") without violating the First Amendment. The First Amendment prohibits the state from abridging free speech, the state (in this case, local government in Maryland) charged them with both vandalism and a hate crime based on the statements (speech), thus they're claiming a constitutional issue to penalize them for speech.

Not saying I agree with the argument, but that's the legal argument.
Who's that guy's lawyer? Hate speech isn't prohibited under the 1st Amendment except when it's directed at someone specifically, as it is here, at which point it becomes a hate crime. You know... the thing they were charged with.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The argument is that the spray painted statements are vandalism, and vandalism is undeniably a crime, but the type of statements made (e.g., all this racist shit) can't be punished more or less than other statements (e.g., spray painting "BURTON IS A BUTTFACE") without violating the First Amendment. The First Amendment prohibits the state from abridging free speech, the state (in this case, local government in Maryland) charged them with both vandalism and a hate crime based on the statements (speech), thus they're claiming a constitutional issue to penalize them for speech.

Not saying I agree with the argument, but that's the legal argument.
So 3 of them might get out of the hate crime charges but the one who actually spraypainted that statement is screwed

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I am forever speechless when people do this. I understand how we got here. I know the context, the history, the trajectory, and yet.
You know that every important figure in their life is comforting them and assuring them that they're right.

All of that and they still don't have the capability to understand that racism isn't about intent.

Edit: I also like how he acknowledges that he knew Nazis literally murdered Jews but has to clarify that he didn't know about the "other things" as if that somehow would have made a difference.

He knew enough to know better. This was not a fault in his education.

Edit2: the idea of these mother fuckers having their parents rent them a fucking beach house for an entire week to celebrate makes me fucking sick.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
What a bunch of cunts, and always with the same defense "I didn't know how bad it was" fucking racist pricks.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I've come to realize I did fail," he continued. "It's not what I said in my home; it's what I didn't say."

His dad got it.

Another dude said said something about this, and I'm starting to feel that there is this screwed up psycho thing that's happening with the last generation or two of white folks. Reading about this stuff in books is merely academic, and doesn't portray the truly horrid stuff that people did to each other throughout history. They don't have relatives that are alive that give them anchors to the reality of the past - its just stuff that you read on the internet, or play in a game.

They don't get the ramifications of the word nigger. Hell, they probably get called that themselves when they're playing online. KKK? All they know is the stuff they see in pictures, or the angry shit they read on sites like Stormfront. They don't have relatives who ran for their lives to not get lynched. They don't have the grandfather or great uncle who told them about needing to wrap their arms or legs in bandages, because the firemen's water hoses literally flayed the skin off of them. They don't know any one who actually fought Nazis in World War 2. They don't have Jewish ancestors who talk about how their parents sent them away while they made the trip to Auschwitz, and never saw them again. They don't know anyone who fled from Panama, or Nicaragua, or Somalia, or Sudan. They're so cocooned and cushioned that they just know that drawing dicks and swastikas and saying death to jews and niggers gets a funny rise out of people. Yeah, they know it pisses people off, but it's not HATE speech, right? RIGHT?

This is the kind of shit that really scares me. It scares me because there's plenty of REALLY hateful people who can hide within the idiots like the kids who did the vandalism. There's SO many of these ignorant ass motherfuckers that would be mortified to walk up to a mexican dude and call him a wetback, but just need to get the right bit of pushing to start hating people for fucking no reason, and the next thing you know they're wondering what it would be like to drive by a black guy and just wack him with a baseball bat. Because fuck niggers, right? lol

oldboss

Shinra Employee
Nov 9, 2017
I like the goatfucker analogy the best.

Can't believe how far they went. How could anyone remotely believe anything coming out of such shitstains' mouths?

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
This was an extremely powerful, moving, and well written article. I'm from NYC where diversity is the norm but I have a good friend who teaches in the South. She's black and this kind of thing wasn't surprising at all. These kids really think this shit is all a joke.

The punishment was way too week. Only WEEKENDS in jail? Wtf.

Also the end of the article, with that years senior prank being Trump 2020 hit especially hard. He really made these people even more brazen than they already were, and normalized this hate even more than I already thought was possible.

Oct 30, 2017
Please tell me every single university is being notified for these kids. None of these kids deserve higher education.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why I read threads like this. They just make me want to log off for the day and go to sleep. Really demoralizing.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
the fuck is wrong with kids today.

back in my day senior school pranks included releasing ducks on school property, donuting the baseball field with actual donuts, largely harmless stuff like that.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
He'd been at his buddy Matt Lipp's house, where the parents of all their friends had gathered the evening of May 23 to sort out the details of Senior Week. The teens' parents had rented them a house in Ocean City, the annual destination for thousands of local students celebrating graduation, and were divvying up tasks: who would drive the group to the beach, who would stock their fridge, who would cook them dinners before leaving them for a week of beer pong, sunburns and meetups with houses full of girls.
These kids are spoiled rotten snobs
Seth came home to a quiet house. His sister was away at college, his father was on a business trip, and his mother was asleep. He went to the fridge and found the breakfast she had made for him to eat the next morning.
Is this a thing now?

Fuck these shits for real. They learned absolutely nothing and it seems the community didn't either. Swept under the rug or push aside good boys who did bad things. Major respect for the principal, but it looks like you might still have a long road ahead.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Done in by their phones autoconnecting to the wifi.
What's dumb is they'd have been hosed anyway. No way they planned that well enough to not been seen. And I'm sure you could whittle down people by their builds as well.

Kind of amazing how you can make that leap from "class of 2018" to racist graffiti. As a DC area native this was an interesting story because this is the part of Howard County Id never spent time in and knew nothing about.

Oct 27, 2017
This shitty bunch learned nothing from this in the end, it seems. Fuck them to hell.

Saying racist shit and hurting people for no reason other than hate isn't "having a good heart".

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Great article. These kids still probably don't get it. The comments Seth made at his sentencing show absolutely zero understanding of racism. White folk don't understand that they're born racist in America because society is systemically built that way. You don't have to be outwardly racist and waving Confederate flags to be racist. You can be racist by being complacent with the system that targets minorities every day in this country. You're not off the hook because your dad and grandfather were the ones who set up the system, and now you just get to ride off the rewards of that system without fixing it.

White people don't get that. I say that as a white guy who has had countless conversations with people about this and get thrown back, "I'm not responsible for what my dad did. I'm not a racist for being white." No, you are. You just bury it, and continue to teach your kids that racism isn't real anymore and then act shocked when they spray paint slurs and swastikas all over their school.

I'm very interested in that memoir that principal was reading. Sounds exactly like what I've been thinking about my own life.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they will have a movie written about them where they are the innocent good natured teens who just got in over there heads. Maybe the principal will get 2 minutes at the end to say something. Maybe not. We got it with American Animals.

Aug 1, 2018
Fuck these shits for real. They learned absolutely nothing and it seems the community didn't either. Swept under the rug or push aside good boys who did bad things. Major respect for the principal, but it looks like you might still have a long road ahead.

You're essentially describing America since its inception.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
What's dumb is they'd have been hosed anyway. No way they planned that well enough to not been seen. And I'm sure you could whittle down people by their builds as well.
For sure. Given the quality of the video and their shit disguises even without the phones it should have been easy to ID them.

Everything about these boys reeks of white privilege.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
I liked that the part of the article where he indignantly explains how everyone incorrectly believes he is a racist is followed by the part where the judge deals down a jail sentence despite all the wonderful lessons he's learned.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I can't believe they got caught by the wifi connection. That is genius. (I think this should be mandatory to see who is on campus at all times.)

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty fucked up that the kids are going on to careers and jobs, and will be able to have the hate crime expunged from their records. Any POC even brushing by a crime gets the harshest sentence and their life is essentially over from that day forward, zero tolerance from prosecutors and judges.

Shoulda gotten at LEAST 2 years in prison, tried as an adult, and no possibility of erasing their crime from their record. Not to punish them specifically, but to send a message to all teenagers in America, that if you do stupid ass shit like this it WILL haunt you for the rest of your life.

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Kind of amazing how you can make that leap from "class of 2018" to racist graffiti. As a DC area native this was an interesting story because this is the part of Howard County Id never spent time in and knew nothing about.

It goes from a 2 to a 10 REAL quick. "Things got hot and heavy, and next thing you know, there was penises, swastikas, and N-words everywhere!"

Nov 1, 2017
People who paint such symbols definitely know what is behind them and what they mean. That's the point. They only act all shocked or ignorant when caught. It's a common theme in such cases. If they didn't know they wouldn't paint them.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
"Eventually they were told: The school's WiFi system requires students to use individual IDs to get online. After they log in once, their phones automatically connect whenever they are on campus.

At 11:35 p.m. on May 23, the students' IDs began auto-connecting to the WiFi. It took only a few clicks to find out exactly who was beneath those T-shirt masks."

Got 'em.

This part is fucking crazy! Super clever

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I do get that they probably didn't really think it through. That they might have been "just" doing something taboo, and maybe not out of hate.

But it doesn't really matter. Actions do speak louder than words. They deserve every bit of punishment allowed, and I hope that is enough to teach them, and others, a lesson.

But probably not. The end of that article is heartbreaking. A Trump/MAGA cart as the next year's prank is basically exactly the same thing, but not punishable.

Oct 25, 2017
It goes from a 2 to a 10 REAL quick. "Things got hot and heavy, and next thing you know, there was penises, swastikas, and N-words everywhere!"
Evidently. Have to say "I was drunk and decided to call my principal a racial slur" is one of the more damning cases of "well, you're probably racist" that I think I've seen.

Our rival school dumped glitter on our campus as a prank. Wtf people

What's kind of hilarious is that how they retell the story they went from absolutely stereotypical pranks (has anyone actually ever released pigs or is it something people have just talked about forever) to "let's cover our own school with as much derogatory graffiti as possible."

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I will always be mystified how dudes like this go from hanging out shooting the shit to paining swastikas, hanging nooses, burning crosses and churches.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Entertaining story. So the phones is what did them in, huh. I like how it's framed that Seth couldn't even pretend he hadn't done it when he was called aside at the graduation. Definitely didn't have the mindset for it, unlike his friends.

I guess the ending is kinda good? They didn't get completely off the hook. I'm sure if the judge wasn't black, it'd have been a different story.

I like how this happened a year later:
3NPV6PEMUII6TNXUAMZVMUBNZY.jpg

Then he saw it: this year's version of a senior prank. A tractor was pulling into the parking lot. On the front was an old couch bolted to the forklift, a sign that read "2019," and a few students sprawled on the cushions. On the back was a blue flag. "TRUMP," it read, "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN."

And this line:
He had to focus on his 1,200 current students: the LGBTQ kids who still felt isolated. The Jewish girl who told the local paper she still wishes she could transfer. Whoever was still scrawling swastikas on the bathroom stalls.
It'll never truly end.

And the emphasis that the kids weren't racist and all of that activity they were doing to lessen their verdicts preemptively was good stuff. I had to smh at the statement from the pastor:
"I told him that his act was racist, but don't let it define him as a racist. He can and I pray that he will go on and do better," Maxwell Ware, the African American pastor he met with, wrote in a letter supporting him.
Nah, especially with the statement from the principal that they were properly educated on what they graffitied. There are way too many outs these days people claim so that one isn't assigned the label of "racist." What they did is a racist act that does prove their underlying racism.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Panicked, he started Googling:
"How long do you go to jail for vandalism?"
And then: "Can you get a hate crime for painting swastikas?"

"I spray paint one racist thing and, suddenly, I become a racist? Just because I did it doesn't mean I hate Jews, gay people or black people."

Three years probation. Two hundred fifty hours in community service. And nine consecutive weekends in jail.

what a weak-ass punishment. hopefully this story follows and haunts them for the rest of their lives. typical puff piece about how "good" these boys are. foh.

tumblr_inline_oogyrmfNbF1uh0nxa_500.gif

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I think the worst part of this (which was a hard contest for sure) was during the sentencing where Principal Burton knows that these kids are full of shit with their "I swear I didn't know that swastikas and the KKK were racist imagery!" because the school did teach students about that history, but he can't say anything about it because he's an authority figure and he needs to "be responsible" and politically correct.

It's obvious why Seth consented to an interview with the Post, to paint himself as an innocent who had no idea his friends were going to commit hate crimes, he swears! It would have been interesting if the reporters could have cross referenced his protestations of innocence with the surveillance footage of the graffiti.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His dad got it.

Another dude said said something about this, and I'm starting to feel that there is this screwed up psycho thing that's happening with the last generation or two of white folks. Reading about this stuff in books is merely academic, and doesn't portray the truly horrid stuff that people did to each other throughout history. They don't have relatives that are alive that give them anchors to the reality of the past - its just stuff that you read on the internet, or play in a game.

They don't get the ramifications of the word nigger. Hell, they probably get called that themselves when they're playing online. KKK? All they know is the stuff they see in pictures, or the angry shit they read on sites like Stormfront. They don't have relatives who ran for their lives to not get lynched. They don't have the grandfather or great uncle who told them about needing to wrap their arms or legs in bandages, because the firemen's water hoses literally flayed the skin off of them. They don't know any one who actually fought Nazis in World War 2. They don't have Jewish ancestors who talk about how their parents sent them away while they made the trip to Auschwitz, and never saw them again. They don't know anyone who fled from Panama, or Nicaragua, or Somalia, or Sudan. They're so cocooned and cushioned that they just know that drawing dicks and swastikas and saying death to jews and niggers gets a funny rise out of people. Yeah, they know it pisses people off, but it's not HATE speech, right? RIGHT?

This is the kind of shit that really scares me. It scares me because there's plenty of REALLY hateful people who can hide within the idiots like the kids who did the vandalism. There's SO many of these ignorant ass motherfuckers that would be mortified to walk up to a mexican dude and call him a wetback, but just need to get the right bit of pushing to start hating people for fucking no reason, and the next thing you know they're wondering what it would be like to drive by a black guy and just wack him with a baseball bat. Because fuck niggers, right? lol

Wow, you actually fell for their bullshit.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
His dad got it.

Emphasis on the fact that they were playing the court and those who would listen to their "I'm not racist, I swear" stories. The principal clearly knows what's up, from his own experience.

THEY are the hateful ones. You don't need to be calling a black person nigger to their face to be hateful.