• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Side note my hunter is named "fuck" because I figured it would be accurate

I was right

Oct 25, 2017
Grats on beating the boss, OP. Knew you could do it. You'll be a grizzled vet with fire in your eyes on NG+ in no time. Remember the lesson you learned today, and you will be fine for the next boss.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
...that whole area has been one giant test of patience, thanks to how often I run out of blood vials.

This reminds me of something I'd forgotten but I'd been mulling over for a while when I was playing Bloodborne last:

Blood Vials were a great idea and I see what they were going for, the purpose they served in contrast to an estus-esque system. However, the execution is lacking in the final stretch of its design. You should definitely feel the heat if you're low on vials from carelessness (because obviously they're encouraging you to play more aggressively and regain health in battle), but you should never hit a point where you're at 0 and have to grind grind grind just to get health drops. It's totally counter to the flow of the game and I can't imagine Miyazaki ever wants players to feel like they have to grind rather than git gud.

I'm not sure exactly how they could have solved it, but maybe playing aggressively and getting a lot of regain would drastically increase the vial drop rate while your vial total was under 20 (on hand and in box). Idk, maybe even the ability to exchange echoes for vials at a lantern rather than going back to the dream for it if they were more expensive there or something. Anyway, I don't trust myself to come up with better mechanics and systems than From Software, but it feels like the vial system needed a little more time in the oven.

The answer to pretty much any "who is ___" question is, "bad news".

I LOVE this. Hahahahaha

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of something I'd forgotten but I'd been mulling over for a while when I was playing Bloodborne last:

Blood Vials were a great idea and I see what they were going for, the purpose they served in contrast to an estus-esque system. However, the execution is lacking in the final stretch of its design. You should definitely feel the heat if you're low on vials from carelessness (because obviously they're encouraging you to play more aggressively and regain health in battle), but you should never hit a point where you're at 0 and have to grind grind grind just to get health drops. It's totally counter to the flow of the game and I can't imagine Miyazaki ever wants players to feel like they have to grind rather than git gud.

I'm not sure exactly how they could have solved it, but maybe playing aggressively and getting a lot of regain would drastically increase the vial drop rate while your vial total was under 20 (on hand and in box). Idk, maybe even the ability to exchange echoes for vials at a lantern rather than going back to the dream for it if they were more expensive there or something. Anyway, I don't trust myself to come up with better mechanics and systems than From Software, but it feels like the vial system needed a little more time in the oven.
Yeah, for as much as I despise its implementation I, too, can see they had some kind of idea for it. When you're not running out, finding them as loot is a good reward loop.

I'd say they should've gone with something like the healing system in Dark Souls 2--Estus and vials, so you never run out. It was a good compromise, conceptually.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I LOVE this. Hahahahaha
Easy solution. When you go through a nightmare fog, your vials get topped up for the duration of the boss fight. Say, you're going in with 2 vials, you get 3 "echo vials" so that you can fight a boss with 5 vials.

Alternatively the "top-off limit" starts at 10 and can be increased, like how you can increase the amount of vials and bullets you can carry at once.

edit: Perhaps the "top-off limit" could be raised with some stat, as well.

Oct 25, 2017

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
You can do it OP. It's not a race. When you beat him, you will have beaten Bloodborne: he is the hardest boss in the game.
No. The blood starved beast is. Fuck that bitch!

Trust me op. If I can beat this game anyone can. I'm not a souls guy but this game was just too beautiful to pass up. Took me two years. Dont give up. Parry that bastard! I liked luring him up the back staircase.

I BEAT BLOODBORNE.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
If it makes you feel better Father Gascoine is a pretty difficult boss for being so early in the game. However, it teaches you a few very important things. One is that most beastial enemies are very weak to parry as they have attacks with longer windows to parry as well as larger hitboxes. Another thing it teaches you is to use your environment to your advantage - in the first phase you can use the tombstones and trees to keep distance between yourself and the boss of you need to heal. The third thing it teaches you is the importance of cleanly beating the easier phase of a fight so you have more resources for the last phase. And of course it teaches you patience.

The good news is many of the bosses in the middle of the game are pretty forgiving in some way. Some, of you have high enough damage, can be surprisingly easy.

When you consider a new player on their first playthrough of the game, Father Gascoine is probably a top 5 difficult boss fight if you don't include the chalice dungeon bosses. So don't feel too bad!

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahaha, I love the funny character names people come up with. I never remember to do it myself when I'm playing.

Fantastic fight. So much to manage, when the fight is finally over it's just exhilarating.

Totally summoned that Vileblood Hunter guy though, made it so much more manageable.

This is the farthest I've got in Bloodborne, the more I play the more I love it. I see why it's GotG material.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, for as much as I despise its implementation I, too, can see they had some kind of idea for it. When you're not running out, finding them as loot is a good reward loop.

I'd say they should've gone with something like the healing system in Dark Souls 2--Estus and vials, so you never run out. It was a good compromise, conceptually.

Yeah, good call. Vials are the healing item you can gain through fighting and exploration and they're so fast to use, but there's also a slow use healing item with only three uses (or something) that you can refill in the dream. Like you'd dip a flask in the messenger bird bath or something. That way you always have a way to extend a lantern-to-lantern journey even if you're out of vials, but you very likely couldn't use it mid-battle. They'd have to rebalance, of course.

OR!

What if you had a flask like that with just a few uses before a (free) refill, BUT instead of healing you, it just made it so every attack you do for a limited time generate blood to fill blood vials. So you're encouraged to play more aggressively during these periods even though you don't have vials at that moment to heal. You have to risk more intense enemies and situations when you're most vulnerable, but the reward gets you back to the normal gameplay loop faster than farming vials or grinding for souls to spend on vials in the dream, and it does so without encouraging running and seeking safety like an additional slow healing item would.

You would probably have to set a lower limit on total vials to balance this.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I thought I was done with Souls and Souls-like games after Nioh. But now I find myself looking forward to Sekiro next month. I think it makes enough changes to the formula that it's definitely worth trying out.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Easy solution. When you go through a nightmare fog, your vials get topped up for the duration of the boss fight. Say, you're going in with 2 vials, you get 3 "echo vials" so that you can fight a boss with 5 vials.

Alternatively the "top-off limit" starts at 10 and can be increased, like how you can increase the amount of vials and bullets you can carry at once.

edit: Perhaps the "top-off limit" could be raised with some stat, as well.

This isn't a bad idea either (especially with a top-off limit), but I think it might encourage recklessness in the boss runs because you know that even if you have to use a bunch of vials on the way there, they would be filled up for the boss.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
IW6rfeg.gif

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't a bad idea either (especially with a top-off limit), but I think it might encourage recklessness in the boss runs because you know that even if you have to use a bunch of vials on the way there, they would be filled up for the boss.
Boss runs aren't BB's strong point. Gameplay loop in Souls is like this: Enter area -> Find bonfire closest to boss -> Optimize a way to run through enemies to the bosses ASAP
Bloodborne loop: Enter area -> Few lanterns -> Find all shortcuts -> Take said shortcuts to boss.

There isn't as much emphasis on juggling boss runs.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just caught up to the thread. Congrats OP! Check out the path on your left by Amelia's door. It leads to one of my favorite areas in the game!

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the god damn spider and the blood starved beast. Oh and that boss that screams a lot.

All I can say is that if you ask 10 different BB players what the hardest boss is you'll likely get 10 different answers (if you're excluding DLC and Chalice Dungeons). Boss difficulty is dependent on your playstyle. For instance, I died to Rom at least 2x more than I died to any other boss on my first playthrough.

Dec 6, 2017
US
All I can say is that if you ask 10 different BB players what the hardest boss is you'll likely get 10 different answers (if you're excluding DLC and Chalice Dungeons). Boss difficulty is dependent on your playstyle. For instance, I died to Rom at least 2x more than I died to any other boss on my first playthrough.

This is the only fact in regards to Souls bosses in general and it always baffles me that random posters will still go with stuff like "nah man, he's easy lol".

I've had an insanely hard time with bosses generally considered easier and crushed the harder ones...and vice versa. Everyone is totally different in their approach.

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Got to improve your exploring skills lol if you want to know

There's 1 area, Old Yharnam, before the gate you opened to enter the big plaza. And there's another following the path to the left to the door of the church Amelia is.
I found the Old Yarhnam door but I'm afraid to go any further

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
For anyone still stuck on father G and doesn't care about parrying, when he's a beast, dodge forward to his side instead of backwards. If you dodge backwards, he'll most likely get you

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pirate Bae Congrats on the Father victory! I knew you could do it. Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all times, and if you persevere, you will be rewarded with much satisfaction.

Question: are you willing to stream your game? I'd be down with watching you play.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I found the Old Yarhnam door but I'm afraid to go any further
I think either of those suggested areas would be good places to go next actually. You'll level up quite a bit, plus get some experience against some other bosses. I think both are completely optional if I remember right, but you're at the right spot to go and do them if you want.