• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
It's no ordinary piracy site, it also did some major cracks for Denuvo games before and did a lot of Chinese language mods. This is good news to Sega anyway as they already do the Chinese localizations themselves for the Yakuza series.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Wait, why are CCP stans/trolls that up in arms about something on YouTube, when the whole service is blocked in China anyways? Are these people all mainlander expats?

No, their vtuber fan, they have to use VPN, and the country of origin they use for VPN is usually Taiwan or Hong Kong, so it's also why Taiwan is so high.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The "morality" of a company doing active copyright infringement over a fucking tweet, what a funny world.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Corporations: "So we can get extra sales if we suck up to the China Government, but on the other hand, we can stop piracy in China by pissing off the Chinese Government?"

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why are CCP stans/trolls that up in arms about something on YouTube, when the whole service is blocked in China anyways? Are these people all mainlander expats?

It really does baffle the brain. They are so pro CCP one China policy yet break the CCP's great firewall by using a VPN to watch illegal content and then harass people over the CCP's propaganda.

Maybe it's all for show? Like, that way if they get found out they can point to their social media footprint as spreading the good word so their social score doesn't get too big a hit?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
She didn't say Taiwan is a country.

Just showing the Google analytic, that the third largest viewer group is from Taiwan
Japan is first, US is second, Taiwan is third, and there is no "flag" or such thing.
2796734-PH.jpg

It's actually scary that something as simple as this can get you harassed seemingly forever by the CCP.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
It really does baffle the brain. They are so pro CCP one China policy yet break the CCP's great firewall by using a VPN to watch illegal content and then harass people over the CCP's propaganda.

Maybe it's all for show? Like, that way if they get found out they can point to their social media footprint as spreading the good word so their social score doesn't get too big a hit?

It's because they think they're clever to circumvent the blocking and if they only post patriotic stuff outside they'll be fine. Which is clearly not true btw as there are cases before where they're fined.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
It's actually scary that something as simple as this can get you harassed seemingly forever by the CCP.

They have been harassing not just her, but also other Japanese VA and thing.

I think the current "war" is between the Ark Knight and Genshin Impact on a VA visting a shrine near her(The shring does entomb war criminal)
Same thing with them getting alot of collab canceled with the Hololive talent(They had Asus, a nd other Chinese Mobage)
But seem like their now getting more collab with Japanese game studio, Sega with PSO2 NGS and other sega game, and Shooter tournament invinting them as host and judge.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
It's because they think they're clever to circumvent the blocking and if they only post patriotic stuff outside they'll be fine. Which is clearly not true btw as there are cases before where they're fined.

The funniest case, was a person during the Hong Kong Protest, going to Taiwan PTT(Think reddit) and Hongkong Protester facebook to troll.

Someone found their identity, and registered them for the Chinese military, and the worst position and want to be sent to somewhere far away and it got accepted.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
No, their vtuber fan, they have to use VPN, and the country of origin they use for VPN is usually Taiwan or Hong Kong, so it's also why Taiwan is so high.

Wait seriously? That is honestly amazing. They don't wish to acknowledge Taiwan and Hong Kong as their own thing but willingly use VPNs to mask them as being from those two places to see stuff outside of their internet wall.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
3DMGAME just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Pirate culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on legal storefronts where you become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over on the internet, it brings shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that the tracker communities, after hearing about this, is not going to want to torrent Yakuza games for any system, nor will they torrent any of Segas games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but 3DMGAME has alienated an entire market with this move.

3DMGAME, publicly apologize and reverse this decision or you can kiss your seeders goodbye.
The best post

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
So fuckin' dumb. Can't imagine simping for my country to the point of harassing someone because they showed text that acknowledged Taiwan as its own country. Like she can't change Google. Thats not how it works. So fuckin ridiculous.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Wait seriously? That is honestly amazing. They don't wish to acknowledge Taiwan and Hong Kong as their own thing but willingly use VPNs to mask them as being from those two places to see stuff outside of their internet wall.

Yes, so when I visit family in China, I use HK or Taiwan VPN to access normal website too.

So it's the same for them, since you usually chose the closest, which is Taiwan or Hong Kong.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
There is a lot of abhorrent things about idol culture. The quaint term they use to refer to their retiring members strikes me as a weird point to get hung up on.
From what I understand about the term's origins, yeah it's quaint... but when used in not-so-quaint circumstances, i.e. someone being bullied into retiring, it's unsurprising that it takes on a somewhat sinister flavor. That's not to say the term is abhorrent though, just that it sounds like a euphemism for something darker... because it kinda is, at least in this particular context regarding Kiryu Coco.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Takaya Kuroda (Voice actor of Kiryu Kazuma)

Dear Kiryu Coco
Until now Thank you for loving Kazuma Kiryu Thank you very much.
Good luck with your graduation live!

https://twitter.com/takayakuroda/status/1402978526093922309

Notifier
He is voice actor of Kiryu Kazuma.

3DMGAME
3DMGAME Statement: To uphold the principle of one China, we will stop the Chineseization (and distribution) of Yakuza series.
We will not tolerate any kind of desecration of our homeland.

E3kHCbUVkAUMZEk

https://twitter.com/HimeFioTyan/status/1403160499693387777

Sorry for my low language skills.

Please ref this article about Kiryu Coco.

https://qz.com/1911573/virtual-youtubers-suspended-after-calling-taiwan-a-country/
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4018580

3DM

3DM - Wikipedia

Gaming News and Reviews | TechRaptor

TechRaptor is your home for latest game guides, gaming news and gaming reviews, with content across every platform, genre, and both AAA and Indie Gaming.

looks like a news site did a write up OP

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
So is there any way back? What's the outcome with John Cena? He begged for forgiveness in a bizarre and sad way. Does that make him cool again? Or is he still hated?

I remember first hearing about this "controversy" some time last year and thought it'd blow over. Flash forward a year and she's quitting over harassment. For something so innocuous.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there any way back? What's the outcome with John Cena? He begged for forgiveness in a bizarre and sad way. Does that make him cool again? Or is he still hated?

I remember first hearing about this "controversy" some time last year and thought it'd blow over. Flash forward a year and she's quitting over harassment. For something so innocuous.
She didn't quit over the harassment but it did play a part.

And the only solution is to not sell your product to China.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
From what I understand about the term's origins, yeah it's quaint... but when used in not-so-quaint circumstances, i.e. someone being bullied into retiring, it's unsurprising that it takes on a somewhat sinister flavor. That's not to say the term is abhorrent though, just that it sounds like a euphemism for something darker... because it kinda is, at least in this particular context regarding Kiryu Coco.

She's not quiting over the harassment.
It could be a part of it, but it's mainly she wants to do her own thing, and both Cover(Owner of hololive) and Coco are willing to do thing together in the future.

There isn't really anything to do with the China anti, Youtube did finally come out with new moderation tool for Coco(Not sure if the other talen have similiar tool)
But they were also invading other people's stream, and it got bad that some of them had to turn on member only chat.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
So I went to that forum, Yakuza 7 subsection is definitely still there, and the torrent seed file is still available to download (no idea about other methods of download, since those require commenting to unlock). Should be noted it's the Empress crack for 7, and CODEX crack of 6, so it's not like they did the cracking themselves (they definitely used to though). That section of the forum is pretty dead, I don't see any outrage posts at all, even though several comments were left today (just random letters to unlock the download links).

Again, the original message was, they are stopping localization effort on the series. I also don't see that message on the "official" 3dm weibo account (might be a reply, might also be the localization team account) in the recent few days.

I believe the OP has some stuff wrong.

TechRaptor is your home for latest game guides, gaming news and gaming reviews, with content across every platform, genre, and both AAA and Indie Gaming.

I also don't know what to say about this news article, "It's important to note, however, that we can't verify the authenticity of this interaction — Chinese social media is difficult to navigate and explore for people who cannot speak the language or are not citizens of that country. I can neither speak nor read Chinese, and I'm not a Chinese citizen, either." I mean, maybe ask a Chinese person?

Last edited:

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
Hongkonger here. This kind of thing happens all the time with the mainland China internet community, and it's all bark and no bite every single time, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. It'll go away in a few days.

Quite laughable really. It happens very often with manga/anime/TV shows, whenever they say/do something that "hurts China's feeling", the pirate sites will threaten to stop making translations and the netizens will threaten to boycott the shows. But the thing is, they were pirating the shows anyway, it's not like they were contributing much to revenue, so no big loss there, and the people who make the most noise are definitely the vocal minority, the majority doesn't give two shits as long as they keep getting free entertainment. They find something new to boycott every single day anyway, it happened to Apple, it happened to Nike, Adidas, the NBA, and they're all still going strong, most of these "boycotts" don't even last longer than a week.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
They have been harassing not just her, but also other Japanese VA and thing.

I think the current "war" is between the Ark Knight and Genshin Impact on a VA visting a shrine near her(The shring does entomb war criminal)
Same thing with them getting alot of collab canceled with the Hololive talent(They had Asus, a nd other Chinese Mobage)
But seem like their now getting more collab with Japanese game studio, Sega with PSO2 NGS and other sega game, and Shooter tournament invinting them as host and judge.

To add some context, the VA in question is Kayano Ai. She had visited the Yasukuni shrines in February. and as of last month, her voice from removed from multiple chinese developed mobages.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Maybe Chinese nationalists shouldn't be such dumb babies. Kiryu Coco did nothing wrong, Taiwan is a real country. Fuck off Chinese nationalists.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
She didn't quit over the harassment but it did play a part.

And the only solution is to not sell your product to China.
She's not quiting over the harassment.
It could be a part of it, but it's mainly she wants to do her own thing, and both Cover(Owner of hololive) and Coco are willing to do thing together in the future.

There isn't really anything to do with the China anti, Youtube did finally come out with new moderation tool for Coco(Not sure if the other talen have similiar tool)
But they were also invading other people's stream, and it got bad that some of them had to turn on member only chat.

That's fair, but we see it still having an influence, as it's the topic of the thread. That's was really what my question was: once you're persona non grata, is there any coming back?

And to be fair, a lot of online communities have complicated ideas around forgiveness. But this seems to be at a much larger scale and with some degree of actual influence.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
That's fair, but we see it still having an influence, as it's the topic of the thread. That's was really what my question was: once you're persona non grata, is there any coming back?

And to be fair, a lot of online communities have complicated ideas around forgiveness. But this seems to be at a much larger scale and with some degree of actual influence.

Nothing you can do about them, except ignore them and hope they find something new to complain about.
Since their not in Japan, so the anti-harrassment law and thing in Japan doesn't do anything.

Youtube's new chat thing does seem to help, but they move on to harass other talent in the same group, and I don't think they have the same tool, and know how to use it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Never heard of a case.

But like all things it's probably possible to stay quiet for a few years and let the whole thing blow over, people on the internet move on to the next entertainment fast.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Never heard of a case.

But like all things it's probably possible to stay quiet for a few years and let the whole thing blow over, people on the internet move on to the next entertainment fast.

And it's not exactly all chinese fan are like that too, it's a very vocal group, and some of them might also just be people that aren't fan, as can be seen in the current Ark Knight vs. Genshin Impact fight, with both side reporting each other game to the Chinese censor comittee.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
This is way too funny.
They draw the line at VA congratulating hololive and not problematic depiction of Chinese gangster/assassin.

The funniest case, was a person during the Hong Kong Protest, going to Taiwan PTT(Think reddit) and Hongkong Protester facebook to troll.

Someone found their identity, and registered them for the Chinese military, and the worst position and want to be sent to somewhere far away and it got accepted.

Lol, amazing.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
And it's not exactly all chinese fan are like that too, it's a very vocal group, and some of them might also just be people that aren't fan, as can be seen in the current Ark Knight vs. Genshin Impact fight, with both side reporting each other game to the Chinese censor comittee.

Yeah we know the type, we call them "shit stirrer".

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
VTuber who's a fan of the Yakuza series who got harassed to the point of retirement because she called Taiwan a country in a stream.
While she was harassed, she never stated that was the reason for her graduation. She's alluded to other reasons that have nothing to do with it, and isn't blaming the harassment at all, at least publicly.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Wait, so they need to use a VPN to access the internet, but still stan the very govt that blocks them from using that internet they want to access so badly? This sounds like stockholm syndrome.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Wait, so they need to use a VPN to access the internet, but still stan the very govt that blocks them from using that internet they want to access so badly? This sounds like stockholm syndrome.

Logic isn't their strong thing.

Like complaining about the various FGO style battle manga, which have historical or myth people fighting, and complaining why is the most of the figure japanese(The author is Japanese?)

Or the Chinese Vtuber that uses the N-word and other worse thing in talking about a real person, and when bring up, her fan and other chinese dismiss it and say it's not the same, and politic is not part of it.

China Vtuber 南宮燈 using N-word and other...racism thing.
And after is bring up, the chinese reaction is, it's a joke, and other similiar and no apologize.
2846175-PH.jpg

2846170-PH.jpg

2846177-PH.jpg

2846178-PH.jpg

2846182-PH.jpg

Yeah we know the type, we call them "shit stirrer".

We call them little pink or 50 cent here

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
<cut>

I also don't know what to say about this news article, "It's important to note, however, that we can't verify the authenticity of this interaction — Chinese social media is difficult to navigate and explore for people who cannot speak the language or are not citizens of that country. I can neither speak nor read Chinese, and I'm not a Chinese citizen, either." I mean, maybe ask a Chinese person?

That statement is legit ridiculous, "we actually don't know anything about what we wrote, because we don't speak Chinese and can't verify anything". Also the article states that the V-Tuber showed the flag, also not true.
Does the OP speak Chinese? Can he verify? Are the other sources other than that tweet (and why the low quality image)?

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
For all the shit she got for the incident, she should be a bit happy knowing that ultimately lead to her beloved series getting saved from piracy lol.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Coco didn't retire because of this. Still messed up that she got months of harrassment for just showing her youtube analytics that listed Taiwan.
Yeah it wasn't even her it was Google's analytics correct? Like are they boycotting Google too?

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hongkonger here. This kind of thing happens all the time with the mainland China internet community, and it's all bark and no bite every single time, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. It'll go away in a few days.

Quite laughable really. It happens very often with manga/anime/TV shows, whenever they say/do something that "hurts China's feeling", the pirate sites will threaten to stop making translations and the netizens will threaten to boycott the shows. But the thing is, they were pirating the shows anyway, it's not like they were contributing much to revenue, so no big loss there, and the people who make the most noise are definitely the vocal minority, the majority doesn't give two shits as long as they keep getting free entertainment. They find something new to boycott every single day anyway, it happened to Apple, it happened to Nike, Adidas, the NBA, and they're all still going strong, most of these "boycotts" don't even last longer than a week.
It's definitely not going away in a few days, at least not for Coco.

Coco showed that Google Analytics slide with "Taiwan" on it in September of last year, and Chinese nationalists flipped their shit. Cover Corp almost immediately suspended Coco for a month as part of their apology (Cover also had to close down their entire Chinese branch).

When Coco came back from her month-ban, she got endlessly spammed and harassed by Chinese antis (Vtuber word for "haters"), and after a month of that she went on a two-week hiatus for her health.

After her two-week hiatus, she came back, and the antis were waiting for her, with a seven-month long harassment campaign, which included harassing anyone and everyone who came into her orbit, for committing the crime of speaking to Coco.

As a random example, Flare bumped into Coco in Hololive's Minecraft server, at which point the antis started spamming Flare's chat, so Flare switched her chat to "members only" to deal with the spam, and Coco meekly apologized to Flare. Flare thought the worst part was that Coco thought this was somehow her fault.
www.youtube.com

【Hololive】Flare Being Wholesome, Talking About Coco & Her Anti【Minecraft】【Eng Sub】

Flare being wholesome talking about playing together with Coco and haters attacking her channel.[Source]Flare: https://youtu.be/1ENhYqEsH_4Coco: https://yout...

Suisei was playing Apex with Matsuri, and their introduction kinda sounded like Coco, so the antis (there to watch Suisei and Matsuri play Apex) started spamming Suisei, and Suisei doesn't take shit from anyone, so she doubled down on the Coco impressions, and then gave mod powers to some of her more trusted fans and let them go after the spammers.
www.youtube.com

【Hololive】Suisei Attacked By Anti For Imitating Coco ft. Matsuri【Eng Sub】

Suisei attacked by anti for imitating Coco and had to assign new moderators.[Source]: https://youtu.be/VxiHA3Eiq9w「Hoshimachi Suisei」Suisei Channelhttps://ww...

Coco was basically Hololive English Generation 0, responsible for Vtubing becoming a thing in America, but for the life of Hololive English, Coco was prohibited from collaborating with them, for fear that the heat that was on Coco would be damaging to the growing branch.

Coco's technically retiring/graduating due to "disagreements with Hololive's management", but it's really obvious that Coco's nine months worth of nonstop harassment had a lot to do with her dissatisfaction.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
I've read the article now, and wow...

This poster said it the best

Damn, author and editor are okay with posting unverified stuff?

Yeah, this is definitely below journalism standard.

Raizzan

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So I got a friend of my explaining the picture. They explained as follows:

"In china mainland, the translation for the game is 如龙
In taiwan, hongkong and other is 人中之龙"

The picture uses "人中之龙" for the game's name.
The game also have official mandarin subs."

They concluded that the news is false.

As of writing this post, I am able to find yakuza games on their website.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
So I got a friend of my explaining the picture. They explained as follows:

"In china mainland, the translation for the game is 如龙
In taiwan, hongkong and other is 人中之龙"

The picture uses "人中之龙" for the game's name.
The game also have official mandarin subs."

They concluded that the news is false.

As of writing this post, I am able to find yakuza games on their website.

Not really, they also call it 人中之龙
zhuanlan.zhihu.com

锦鲤跃空,化身为龙:小评《人中之龙 7 光与暗的去向》

首发于机核网,作者雪豆前言:今年的机核年会可以说是相当充实,有吃有喝有KTV有健身房,基本上除了开会总结以外大家在饭后都能找到可以玩的内容。但全公司上下唯独有一个人是例外:大巴背着PS4参加了年会,并且在…

But I am checking Taiwan and Japanese game news site and nothing on 4gamer, Bahamut and PTT.
I'm not familiar with the 3dm community, but I think I know some friend that are more, so I'll ask them about it.

It's possible that it's just a translation group that are not doing it(Similiar to the translation for the Kengen Asura manga) when they introducded a Taiwanese fighter, and the Translation group say one china, etc, etc. so they will drop it, etc.

Another group continue translation...so nothing change, people can still find the translation scan online.

Status
Not open for further replies.