• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I was never onboard the RLM hype train. Wow, they made fun of the prequels way back when. That's real hard to do.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're in a conversation telling someone to go watch stuff almost as long as the initial thing is pretty not conducive to a successful discourse

Lucas shouldn't have made something so comprehensively bad then. Besides, there's a decent chance that the length will end up being a plus.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
while a lot of their shtick is being overly cynical (and I've gotten tired of that with their HitB episodes long ago), the one bastion of good film discussion I've found with them is their re:view series

its only two people talking through a movie, and they usually highlight movies they enjoyed so its a much better watch imo

another positive about re:view is that you can see who is discussing the movie in the thumbnail., so its easy to avoid Rich

here's a few that came out recently i enjoyed

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the Phantom Menace Plinkett review years ago and thought it was weird but funny. Haven't watched anything from them since, until today. Their Last Jedi review was awful. Never mind whether or not I liked the movie, the review got tiresome fast and I finally bailed about fifteen minutes in. Just the Plinkett voice saying how dumb it was over and over, and something about Ryan Johnson being his son. That's it after fifteen minutes? I'm good.

I watched some of the Captain Marvel review, and holy shit it was actually worse than people here are saying. I don't think we need to ban discussion of their stuff—just watching some myself is all I needed to know not to waste any more time on them. Maybe they were funny once but that was a long time ago.

Nov 6, 2017
Finally they're getting dragged. They've always been trash. Even their film analysis is awful. Everyone should just watch Lindsay Ellis instead.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did I miss some new reason to bring them up again with this thread? The same people who post the same negative and positive things about RLM are here again, ad nausem. Every time they are mentioned, all of the points in the OP are posted in whatever thread they are mentioned in. I don't watch RLM besides some BotW a year ago, but if they're relegated to their own OT thread in hangouts, who cares?

Basically, I hear more signal boosting of RLM from their detractors then from the fans.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss some new reason to bring them up again with this thread? The same people who post the same negative and positive things about RLM are here again, ad nausem. Every time they are mentioned, all of the points in the OP are posted in whatever thread they are mentioned in. I don't watch RLM besides some BotW a year ago, but if they're relegated to their own OT thread in hangouts, who cares?

Because they're not contained at all?

You just admitted as such.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I too enjoyed them years ago for their edgy reviews of Star Wars and other stuff, but I've come to realize they now border on irrelevant and outright racist and sexist. They just refuse to get their heads out of their asses and think they can keep dog-whistling to right leaning audiences (mostly white and male) without them actually being labeled as right or sexist.

It's the same thing with Grace Randolph. I was still enjoying like 70% of her content and reviews and kept making up excuses to ignore the worst parts of it, until her click bait takes just kept making me pissed too often and decided to block her on Twitter and YouTube.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong disagree. We don't need to give platforms to people like Sargon, Colin Moriarty, Grace Randolph, Keemstar etc
No no. I understand and appreciate what you're saying.

It's just i dunno. I don't really feel comfortable doing that. Ya know.

I think it's better to keep their shit in the light of day. And it's also how the OP of a thread about them is framed, shapes whether the discussion is a tyre fire or not. (sorry if this point sounds rambly. I'm not good at articulating my thoughts)

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Lol yeah they should just be contained in their thread, what a not toxic way to view a forum.

I mean ultimately I think they're a net negative on discourse due to their utter ignorance and sometimes outright intentionally malicious views on social issues, mixed with their abject cynicism and propensity to become easily memed wherein people substitute their own opinion for theirs.

So hey I like this thread because it's a place for me to say the above

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think RLM is right wing, but they are definitely not progressive either. For example, I do think they are downplaying the misogyny that happened in the reactions to Ghostbusters 3, but they did make some good points that it was likely exacerbated by Sony as they were looking for a way to help market the film since most did not consider it to be very good.

Similarly, in the Star Wars, I do agree they downplay the importance of diversity, but also point out that Disney/Lucasfilm is kind of full of shit, and only pushing diversity because they think it helps market the movie better. They do this by openly questioning why every single director has been white males despite them constantly harping on diversity.

I don't know how anyone can defend Rich Evans though.

What's the problem with Disney seeing an economic benefit to diversity? It's literally the same argument many progressives and Democrats make about keeping America diverse. And it's true. You get more money if more people enjoy what you're selling and diversity in media helps. It used to be mostly only white peoples has money and power, so most movies were for them and had them. But that's changing.

I agree we shouldn't applaud Disney as altruistic, and you're right that they played it safe with the directors (too safe in regards to Solo), but it's also true they take some risk lately that seems to be paying off with global audiences because, duh, there a millions of people around the world who want to see more Black Panthers, Mulans, Captain Marvels, and yeah, diversity in Star Wars.

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, wait, wait. So you're all telling me that the YouTube channel that got its start with obnoxiously nitpicky, fanboy-y, critiques of the Star Wars prequels punctuated with weird skits of the "reviewer's" murder basement has been gross and toxic all along??

Oct 25, 2017
Like I don't get standing by the Brie Larson shit. Its peak white fragility.

Her comments on how white and male the critic game is spot on. Actual film critics (not youtubers) agree with her.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like I don't get standing by the Brie Larson shit. Its peak white fragility.

Her comments on how white and male the critic game is spot on. Actual film critics (not youtubers) agree with her.

That's the thing, they dismiss issues of representation, sexism and racism but the moment a woman even tangentially talks about them (white film critics) they lose their shit.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Let me add this example. Repeatedly making fun of Gugu Mbatha-Raw's name because it sounds weird and therefore it's funny to white folks.

At 16:40 and 17:24.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
The Ghostbusters episode was what made me start to seriously evaluate RLM content. The movie wasn't great, but it had some good elements. The whole anti sjw backlash around the film was a serious issue and the guys just kinda handwaved it.

I definitely agree that Rich is the most problematic of the group. Mike at least has some filters.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't care what their personal politics might be any more. They obviously have a huge alt-right fanbase that they have no problem pandering to, and ultimately there isn't a meaningful difference between earnestly complaining about SJWs in every video and pseudo-ironically complaining about SJWs in every video.

Thank goodness you can tell Youtube which videos to stop recommending for you now.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

So if Plinkett is just a "character" and not what the real people are like, how does that explain Mike and his talk of virtue signaling?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I was never onboard the RLM hype train. Wow, they made fun of the prequels way back when. That's real hard to do.
Personally, I'd say they did rather well explaining why the prequels didn't work as films rather than simply mocking them for the sake of mocking them, at least in the breakdowns for the first two (the third one got too bogged down by the Plinkett framing device for my liking).

I'd say their SW criticism fell off once they got to the sequels, though. Haven't paid them much attention in general these days.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
While I don't agree with everything they are saying, I'm still getting a lot of entertainment out of the channel. I don't think their offenses are anywhere close to being enough to call for a boycott.
Serious question with no ill intent: What are you guys doing in rl? Are you calling a real life friendship off if a person holds a belief you find problematic?
Not speaking of hardcore alt-right racism and strong misoginy, but a friend of mine doesn't like that they made the little mermaid black in the upcoming movie for example. I won't cancel that friendship because of that, and I won't unsubscribe from a yt channel because of that either.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

If it wasn't for their TPM video and people shitposting it "I'll just leave this here" in every Star Wars thread on the internet, they wouldn't have a channel today.

Then the nerd crew is basically just them mocking Collider, and as everyone else pointed out they jumped on the Brie Larson hate train just because that was extremely profitable on YouTube a few months ago.

THEY are the endless trash.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Strong disagree. We don't need to give platforms to people like Sargon, Colin Moriarty, Grace Randolph, Keemstar etc
I think anyone who has seen my posts here knows that I'm a very liberal, very progressive and easy to react type of person but lumping in RLM with those names is reckless and lessen the negative impact of what people like Keemstar, Grace Randolph and the others listed do.

At the end of the day, the only person that I think is genuinely questionable is Rich, his political views are fucking abhorrent. He's also incredibly quick to jump to the most offensive and bigoted joke he can come up with. The rest of the crew, well, I think it's pretty clear that they've just never progressed beyond the edge lord bullshit and anti-PC stuff that most folks grow out of by high school. When they want to be witty and funny, they are. When they get low though, they get real low and it's plain to see that their sense of humor isn't suitable for our current climate and they should honestly expect (and respond to) the assumption that they're alt-right trolls so long as they allow jokes like that to fly.

I feel like the best approximation of RLM is that they're less like the alt-right, more like a bunch of drunk Wisconsin boys doing their best Dane Cook impressions. That's not a good thing, mind, but I think that comparing them to the genuinely dangerous alt-right isn't a good thing either. They need to be held accountable for their terrible and offensive jokes and they should be pressed to make their intentions and beliefs clear but I'm not quite sure that there's genuine hatred behind their words that warrant an outright cancellation of them all.