• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Geez, the hot takes this topic brings out.
It`s the only movie in the last few years that I walked out with someone after it was done and didn't discuss it for a single second despite us hanging out for hours later. It comitted the worst sin in cinema, completely boring and forgettable.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I was 10 I had a blockage in my bladder and the doctors had to shove a long plastic pole in my PeeHole to break up the blockage. True story.

Oh and a month later it came back so they used a metal bar while I was put under and I pissed blood for a week. Wait, why are we doing this?
I don't have a left nut!

Why are we doing this? No idea.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It`s the only movie in the last few years that I walked out with someone after it was done and didn't discuss it for a single second despite us hanging out for hours later. It comitted the worst sin in cinema, completely boring and forgettable.
Interesting....was one of the most memorable mcu movies to me.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tearing up a little or getting emotional and yondu at the end or his talk with rocket isn't being manipulated.
Technically it is being manipulated. All media works to get you to feel something. It's just that in some people's cases, being manipulated by Grave of the Fireflies is acceptable, while being manipulated by a Marvel film is unacceptable.

Weirdly enough, I didn't get even misty at Fireflies. xP

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Alan Horn's contract expires by the end of the year. He's 75 years old, and we have no confirmation at all that they are reupping his contract:

Disney Extends Chairman Alan Horn's Contract Through 2018

After the James Gunn fiasco, even if Disney doesn't say it, it's obvious that it's better for Horn and Disney that they go their separate ways. With some distance from the fiasco, I expect Disney to make an official apology to Gunn and reinstate him for one last rodeo in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Correction: his contract is still coming to an end. We have no reports from the trades that Horn is going to keep going after 2018 is over, it's reportedly ending this month, with no formal or even rumored talks of being reupped.

This is why I up about the point about how Disney and Fox's management structure has been rebuilt to decide who are the direct reports to Horn. It's December 17th. If Horn's last day at Disney was in two weeks, wouldn't we know about that? Wouldn't one of those management personnel changes be an announcement of Horn's replacement? Wouldn't there an exit interview/retrospective with Horn in two weeks? That story you shared is nearly five years old, which is less telling to me about Horn's future than a much-more recent high-profile corporate merger that has factored Horn staying at the company into its plans for 2019 and beyond. Bob Iger was also set to retire a year or so ago but changed his mind when Disney buying Fox became a thing.

I don't think Gunn's firing is the career-ending fiasco for Alan Horn that you want it to be, and there's certainly no reason for Iger (who supported the decision) or the board to push him out over it. If Endgame craters at the box office and surveys determine that moviegoers were boycotting the movie because James Gunn was fired, then it might be a different story.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend cried at the ending of GOTG2 and is asking why the nerds on NetJeff are making fun of her.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Technically it is being manipulated. All media works to get you to feel something. It's just that in some people's cases, being manipulated by Grave of the Fireflies is acceptable, while being manipulated by a Marvel film is unacceptable.

Weirdly enough, I didn't get even misty at Fireflies. xP
To me personally, things resonate with me more when I relate to them. I can relate more to characters in gotg than some other stuff that is technically "better"

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend cried at the ending of GOTG2 and is asking why the nerds on NetJeff are making fun of her.

When James Gunn was fired I cried all my tears and have no more left, now I wander the wasteland with only my sword and my loyal dog for company, looking for something that can make me feel joy or sadness or anything again. That is why I make fun of her.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
This is why I up about the point about how Disney and Fox's management structure has been rebuilt to decide who are the direct reports to Horn. It's December 17th. If Horn's last day at Disney was in two weeks, wouldn't we know about that? Wouldn't one of those management personnel changes be an announcement of Horn's replacement? Wouldn't there an exit interview/retrospective with Horn in two weeks? That story you shared is nearly five years old, which is less telling to me about Horn's future than a much-more recent high-profile corporate merger that has factored Horn staying at the company into its plans for 2019 and beyond. Bob Iger was also set to retire a year or so ago but changed his mind when Disney buying Fox became a thing.

I don't think Gunn's firing is the career-ending fiasco for Alan Horn that you want it to be, and there's certainly no reason for Iger (who supported the decision) or the board to push him out over it. If Endgame craters at the box office and surveys determine that moviegoers were boycotting the movie because James Gunn was fired, then it might be a different story.

Here's what I think:

Horn won't be reupped for four years like it happened in the past. He'll probably stay for more some months to help with the restructure of Disney, but that's it. The man is 75 years old and filthy rich, all we are doing here is conjecture, there's nothing anywhere saying he will extend his contract, and notice how big of a splash that was back in May 2014. If we were to hear about this, we'd have heard already. "The contract of said person is ending" isn't news, now if it's extended or not, that's news. Let's see what happens in the upcoming weeks.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean he's directed two well received movies that made a bunch of money at the box office, and now he's directing a sequel to a movie that made over $700 million. He's not being paid in Domino's Pizza coupons dude.

I'd venture to guess he's likely getting paid more at DC because when he signed up for three movies with Disney his best movie to date was Slither.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He ain't doing it for free.
So this is your game?

You said he would get paid elsewhere implying he can still make lots of money. I said he went from one of the leading franchises in the MCU to the sequel of the worst super hero movie in the last while. You then said along the longs of, "you don't think he's getting paid?" as if you're referring to a big pay day. You ask me if he is. I say I don't know because I don't know his pay. I then ask you. You then ask me, "you don't think he is getting paid?"

Of course he is getting paid. He isn't doing it for free. You were implying his departure from Disney still meant he would get large amounts. You don't even understand what message you were conveying.

So, what is his pay? Or just weird logic you got?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope Gunn gets back in the director's seat. There seems to be a window, if Disney (Feige, really) doesn't mind waiting.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this is your game?

You said he would get paid elsewhere implying he can still make lots of money. I said he went from one of the leading franchises in the MCU to the sequel of the worst super hero movie in the last while. You then said along the longs of, "you don't think he's getting paid?" as if you're referring to a big pay day. You ask me if he is. I say I don't know because I don't know his pay. I then ask you. You then ask me, "you don't think he is getting paid?"

Of course he is getting paid. He isn't doing it for free. You were implying his departure from Disney still meant he would get large amounts. You don't even understand what message you were conveying.

Fuck are you even on about dude? You think he goes from directing GOTG to having to beg for work?

Use you're fucking brain instead of role-playing as a contrarian for once.

"tut tut well we don't know exactly what his contract is so he, in fact, may NOT be getting paid" you serious? What's even your point in arguing this fact?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck are you even on about dude? You think he goes from directing GOTG to having to beg for work?

"Beg"?
You aren't reading what I am saying but inferring because I disagree with your big pay day assumption.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Imagine having experienced trauma or loss in your life and connecting with these characters and their adventures and being affected by the emotional beats in the stories because of your own personal history and feelings.

Imagine being the kind of person who ridicules that and tells others what they should and shouldn't feel just because it's a movie.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Don't waste Travis Knight on James Gunn's fucking drivel Disney. Bring someone in who will shape the Cosmic Marvel Universe for years to come, don't stick to a script filled with Zune and Kevin Bacon jokes. It's the perfect time for the franchise to grow up especially in light of the fact that its creator never will. It may be an unpopular choice now but it is the only right choice.

If that means losing Batista and whoever else wants to sacrifice their career on the altar of rape and pedo jokes, I'm fine with it. It's not like there is a shortage of interesting characters who could replace them.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

"tut tut well we don't know exactly what his contract is so he, in fact, may NOT be getting paid" you serious? What's even your point in arguing this fact?
It's not worth engaging with him, honestly.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that a super hero movie could make someone cry is so bizarre to me. I saw Infinity War and even with half the cast dying the only emotional part was maybe when Spiderman died

The end of Guardians 2 itself was pretty damn emotional.

Into the Spider-Verse got me choked up too.

There's nothing about superheroes and their conflicts that's inherently less prone to evoking emotion in viewers relative to whatever other material you might be a fan of.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Don't waste Travis Knight on James Gunn's fucking drivel Disney. Bring someone in who will shape the Cosmic Marvel Universe for years to come, don't stick to a script filled with Zune and Kevin Bacon jokes. It's the perfect time for the franchise to grow up especially in light of the fact that its creator never will. It may be an unpopular choice now but it is the only right choice.

If that means losing Batista and whoever else wants to sacrifice their career on the altar of rape and pedo jokes, I'm fine with it. It's not like there is a shortage of interesting characters who could replace them.
yeah we need the mature storytelling these characters deserve

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to be a nerd to cry.
Nor do you have to be a straight male to find it odd that others might cry at a Marvel movie. But you two go ahead and lob some more ridiculous generalizations at one another.

And to those wondering if people actually cry during movies, duhhhh. There was a series of coffee commercials that made people cry a few years back. It isn't always about the art form but what the art form is referencing that gets people.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
It could have been the greatest film ever created.

I'm imagining the beauty of that script and crying so I can't imagine my feelings if I were to actually be able to read those words.

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018
I truly hope Gunn gets back in the director's seat. There seems to be a window, if Disney (Feige, really) doesn't mind waiting.

Well if it's been delayed to like a 2022 release as some rumors have it, and it turns out no one else wants to do it, I could probably see that happening though it's a longshot. Then again more impossible things have happened in the MCU's history.

But also in that case, would Gunn even want to come back. I think the actual MCU/Marvel Studios execs like Feige etc. still have his back and didn't agree with the decision to fire him (it's pretty telling that there was no statement from anyone at MS when the firing was announced...), but even with that, if I was him I'd feel a bit uneasy knowing that upper management fell for a mob of alt right doinks that called you a pedo and doubled down on their decision...

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Don't waste Travis Knight on James Gunn's fucking drivel Disney .

Oh yeah, he's WAYYYYYYYYY above doing Disney fare.

813TqAZMVNL._SX425_.jpg