EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how they even evaluate that. The draw on the battery with vary massively between games.

That's exactly the kind of *fact* that gets warped without any kind of oversight.
Like the way that cars claimed their MPG or Nvidia fiddled their drivers so 3dmark scored higher

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
These controllers are actually in stock in a ton of stores already. It's probably just a small revision. Someone get one and see if there's anything different.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
They should just go ahead and officially announce it.

I wonder if they made any other internal changes that aren't as obvious?

Edit: It now seems to be a very minor revision and not at all what we thought. We shall see what develops but it appears to be nothing to get excited about.

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
It just has a better battery life?

Charging mine between sessions I've barely ever had it run out while playing, and if it does, that's why I own two 🤷‍♂️
Yeah owning two with docking charge i never have to think about it. One is always charged and i can just hot swap to next one. But 12 hours would be nice ngl

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Something about this seems odd to me. Wouldn't they launch it alongside the PS5 Slim and bundle it in?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Something about this seems odd to me. Wouldn't they launch it alongside the PS5 Slim and bundle it in?

Controllers are easy money makers and maybe they didn't line up for delivery of both but seems unlikely. Perhaps they'll phase the old ones out and new bundles later in the year.

Available since December?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Wait, as in a new battery and possibly smaller or is this a big misunderstanding?
Looking at the listings from German stores, they look just like the original DualSense. Battery capacity is listed as 1650 mAh.

www.alternate.de

Sony DualSense V2 Wireless-Controller, Gamepad weiß

Mit dem innovativen DualSense V2 Wireless-Controller der PlayStation 5 erlebt man eine intensivere und tiefergehende Gaming-Erfahrung. Dank haptisc...

According to this they've been in stock since the 29th Dec of last year.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Just make one with replaceable batteries bro why do they insist on doing this shit

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Charging station, hopefully it works with Playstation Portal too.
There is no charging station. Just think about it, why would they ship the Dualsense with a charging station included?

It's the same controller with some very minor changes. Seems like the battery is slightly larger, you might not even notice the difference tbh.

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
Just make one with replaceable batteries bro why do they insist on doing this shit

Because just plonking down my controller on it's charging unit is preferable over juggling batteries and keeping those charged. It's 2024 my dude.

That said, I do have two Dualsense so I always have one charged while I play and never have battery issues. If I only had one controller, batteries would perhaps be more convenient.

Metsuki

Oct 31, 2020
Portugal
I wonder how they even evaluate that. The draw on the battery with vary massively between games.

That's exactly the kind of *fact* that gets warped without any kind of oversight.
Like the way that cars claimed their MPG or Nvidia fiddled their drivers so 3dmark scored higher
I think they usually evaluate with games that make minimal use of the new features so it appears longer, unfortunately.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
12 hours is "exceptional" in that is is the exception and most other controllers last way longer.

Because just plonking down my controller on it's charging unit is preferable over juggling batteries and keeping those charged. It's 2024 my dude.

You can have a dock/rechargeable battery pack too and also support batteries. This isn't a one or other situation. 360 controller did this for example.

Last edited:

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
If the battery life is accurate I'll buy one asap. I feel like I charge that thing every other day. I barely plug in my Xbox Elite controller.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking the included charging station thing is a mistake. Doesn't really make sense to include it for the same price. Improved battery life is great though, hopefully there's some other improvements too.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
User banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Generalizations; Hostility; History of the Same

That said, I do have two Dualsense so I always have one charged while I play and never have battery issues. If I only had one controller, batteries would perhaps be more convenient.
I'm not a loser do I don't line to have gaming trash, like a charging station, out in the open. Not to that it doesn't matter if you run out of battery while playing. Charging an Xbox controller takes 30 seconds of "juggling" (lmao) batteries. Charging a Dualsense takes like 4 hours or some shit.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The analog sticks now have the feature too also use hydraulics in addition to drifting.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's the current buzzword. People just repeat after each other because they've read about it online. It's an input tech used for directional joysticks that doesn't seem to suffer from drift issues as much.

And obviously, all of a sudden every controller ever that doesn't have it is 'dogshit'. It's the way of the internet.
No, the current buzzword is 'buzzword'. Controllers with Hall Effect sticks are a real thing that you can buy right now. Some of us actually own them and use them. They get talked about for a reason - because some of us are really tired of stick drift and have purchased one of several controllers (like the 8bitdo Ultimate) featuring hall effect sticks in order to avoid it from here on out. They've been around for like 25 years, lol. That makes it especially frustrating that all these mainline controllers with features justifying $60+ price tags can't be bothered to include something nicer than alps sticks that cost console manufacturers literal pennies but potentially cost us hundreds over time.

On every other platform, you've got lots of options for controllers. On Playstation, you can learn to solder and mod out your own Dualsense, like I have, or you can buy the one $300 licensed pro Playstation controller that features sticks that aren't a lottery. Or I guess you could pay Sony $200 for the privilege of paying them another $20 every time a stick breaks to replace it yourself, but that just seems silly to me, when they could be selling hall effect modules (or controllers) instead.

I'm not a loser so I don't line to have gaming trash, like a charging station, out in the open.

Do you lock up and stow your consoles at night so that nobody accidentally finds out you play video games? Sheesh, dude. It's 2024, charging stations look like any other piece of hardware on your TV stand and nobody gives a shit. I'm fine with batteries too, and they're certainly better than Playstation controller batteries have been for 10 years now - isn't it telling how every Playstation owner's go to strat is to keep 2 controllers? I do too, it's just how it is. At any rate, you're still being silly.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I swear I'd never heard of whatever Hall Effect is till a few months ago and suddenly it comes up constantly. Is it something new?

Also, those are pretty significantly different dimensions. Am I reading this wrong or is this a much smaller controller?

they use different tech/materials.

this article has a good explanation for it: https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...ct-controller-anyway-and-do-i-really-need-one

fyi, Dreamcast controllers used hall effect way back and if you use it now, most still work perfectly without any drift. nowadays, you only see hall effect sticks with third party controllers.

Sorder

Sep 19, 2023
Are we ...sure about all this? The weight has been 280 grams since launch. And Sony has always said it's a 12 hour battery IIRC. It's always had a 1560 mAh battery.

Sorder

Sep 19, 2023
Looking at the listings from German stores, they look just like the original DualSense. Battery capacity is listed as 1650 mAh.

www.alternate.de

Sony DualSense V2 Wireless-Controller, Gamepad weiß

Mit dem innovativen DualSense V2 Wireless-Controller der PlayStation 5 erlebt man eine intensivere und tiefergehende Gaming-Erfahrung. Dank haptisc...

According to this they've been in stock since the 29th Dec of last year.

So nothing has changed then.

The original had a 1650 mAh battery and was also 280 grams.

ninecubed

Oct 27, 2017
The $90 is in Canadian dollars right? While still kind of stupid for a controller, that's $67.50 USD, which tracks to current Dualsense pricing.

Any idea when this is supposed to come out?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes! I was about to buy an Edge, but now I'm hesitant
Don't let this stop you. This 'V2' Dualsense is the exact same as every other Dualsense. Nothing has changed, not even the battery life. If there are any differences, they're not relevant to you unless you have a reason to open up and mod your Dualsense.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Saw some listings in germany popping for the same price as the OG that would ship today. Also worth noting that there are zero mentions on the charging station in the description.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be willing to get a new one just for the weight reduction. Dualsense always felt too big and heavy.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
These controllers should have an easy user replaceable battery. Only real thing about PS controllers that piss me off. Other than the domed sticks.i can overlook them being symmetrical.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I was going to buy a second one as a back up because the battery life is atrocious. I just got my first PS5 and the battery dies so fast. I'll wait and see if this is actually real and if it is I'll buy one. I wish Sony would get rid of the useless stuff like touch pads, lights, and microphone. I just want a controller that lets me play games. Not many games make use of the extra stuff.

AllBizness

Mar 22, 2020
The only way to really solve the battery issue is to have a second controller on standby. I never understood people's bitching about battery life in controllers.

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
Is there a reason why none of the big 3 uses Hall effect sticks. It cant be the cost, third party variants cost less.

Both my Xbox and PS controllers have developed stick drifts in about a year and change.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why none of the big 3 uses Hall effect sticks. It cant be the cost, third party variants cost less.

Both my Xbox and PS controllers have developed stick drifts in about a year and change.

I've been wondering the same. I'm just gonna say they just weren't that available in 2018-2020 when the consoles were being developed and they probably don't think it's worth a mid-gen update? I feel like one of the manufacturers will use Hall effect sticks at some point, it's just a matter of when, and it's such an easy marketing win nowadays.

Also, maybe the company that manufactures Hall effect sticks can't handle the demand of millions of consoles. Maybe that's the bigger reason atm, but I dunno.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The only way to really solve the battery issue is to have a second controller on standby.
*on Playstation. Playstation is the only platform where 'just buy a second controller' is the generally accepted solution to battery life woes. My Switch controllers last a long time between charges, and while I use rechargeable packs in my Xbox controllers, I can always hot swap if needed.

The 8bitdo Ultimate controller that I use on Xbox, Switch and PC lasts way longer than a Dualsense does out of the box. I mod my PS controllers out since there aren't many other options on Playstation, and the battery is the first thing to go.

I've been wondering the same. I'm just gonna say they just weren't that available in 2018-2020 when the consoles were being developed and they probably don't think it's worth a mid-gen update? I feel like one of the manufacturers will use Hall effect sticks at some point, it's just a matter of when.

Also, maybe the company that manufactures Hall effect sticks can't handle the demand of millions of consoles. Maybe that's the bigger reason atm, but I dunno.
It's because alps sticks are dirt cheap. That's the reason.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Don't let this stop you. This 'V2' Dualsense is the exact same as every other Dualsense. Nothing has changed, not even the battery life. If there are any differences, they're not relevant to you unless you have a reason to open up and mod your Dualsense.

Why would they call it V2 then? They could just release it silently, like any new PS5 revision that isn't a changing the dimensions of the console. There HAS to be something new about these.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they call it V2 then? They could just release it silently, like any new PS5 revision that isn't a changing the dimensions of the console. There HAS to be something new about these.
It's probably the SKU that ships with the Slim.

Gotta say, it's crazy seeing this V2 news go up everywhere with the by line "and the battery life is fixed!" as if the Dualsense hasn't always had its battery life clocked at 12 hours.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It's the current buzzword. People just repeat after each other because they've read about it online. It's an input tech used for directional joysticks that doesn't seem to suffer from drift issues as much.

And obviously, all of a sudden every controller ever that doesn't have it is 'dogshit'. It's the way of the internet.
Ok now I feel better. Thanks! Hahaha

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Terrible take. I already have a ds5 with this and lost ds4 to this before. It is fairly widespread... You don't know much about hall effect to be saying it's a buzzword... Stop trying to muddy the water.