• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
How does it do that exactly? Because it has better shooting? ME3 has more RPG Elements than ME2, not only does it 1:1 copy the skill tree from the previous game it doubles the amount of skills you can invest in, plus unlike the 2nd game you can be more specific in the way you want to play your character because you have total freedom in choosing your loadout, the crux was that when you have more weapons with you your abilities cooldown would take longer, but when you only had a pistol it could be up to 200% faster.
Like if ME3 isn't an RPG but straight up shooter so is ME2 in this comparison because the third game builds on all of it's mechanics and only adds more depth and choice.

The overall design of the game feels very much shooter focused. You also don't need to explain to me how they reworked the skills, because I'm very familiar with them. Simply being able to modify weapons and armor more over the previous game doesn't make it "more" of an RPG at all either. There's a whole lot less depth in the third game than the second as far as interactions go, and the world design and level design is just...boring in comparison to the second game. None of the games were ever full-fledged "RPGs" anyway, or shooters and were always called shooter/rpg hybrids. The third game just became way more of a shooting gallery than the previous two however, similar to Bioshock Infinite in that regard.

The first game was a great introduction with probably the most direct and "epic" main story.
The second game improved upon the first in most ways by quite a bit and was the most balanced overall of the three.
The third game improved upon the skills and your ability to tinker with your gear as well as the shooting mechanics, but was pretty much worse in all other areas over the second.

Last edited:

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
The overall design of the game feels very much shooter focused. You also don't need to explain to me how they reworked the skills, because I'm very familiar with them. Simply being able to modify weapons and armor more over the previous game doesn't make it "more" of an RPG at all either. There's a whole lot less depth in the third game than the second as far as interactions go, and the world design and level design is just...boring in comparison to the second game. None of the games were ever full-fledged "RPGs" anyway, or shooters and were always called shooter/rpg hybrids. The third game just became way more of a shooting gallery than the previous two however, similar to Bioshock Infinite in that regard.
It does so more in comparison to ME2, like you say the Level Design in ME3 is boring compared to the 2nd game and i don't see how? Each level in ME2 is as hyper linear as they are in ME3, the way you explore places like the citadel is exactly the same as in ME2. Only thing i would agree with is there is less depth in the interactions but you still make decisions, you still have the paragon and renegade playstyle it's not like that stuff isn't there.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It does so more in comparison to ME2, like you say the Level Design in ME3 is boring compared to the 2nd game and i don't see how? Each level in ME2 is as hyper linear as they are in ME3, the way you explore places like the citadel is exactly the same as in ME2. Only thing i would agree with is there is less depth in the interactions but you still make decisions, you still have the paragon and renegade playstyle it's not like that stuff isn't there.

The best part about ME3 for me was the damn Citadel DLC. It doesn't make up for the main game though, despite being probably in the top two, if not the top DLC for the series they've done. ME3 definitely had its moments, and looked slick with those few moments, but I was just so utterly bored with the game long before nearing the end. This was just with my initial playthrough too.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Sucks to see leaks like these.

I'm with ya, but I don't think this one will do too much damage. The footage is so early and we have such little detail about it that when the game is finally revealed its bound to look nothing like this and still feel like a fresh reveal. Still, though, would be great if devs could decide when they're ready to show these things. Have a feeling this was part of that laptop leak that gave out some of the codenames before.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Bend maybe?

They have lots of 3rd person shooter experience. Maybe they had DG2 or this and this is what Sony Greenlit. (Talking out of my butt of course)

Resistance spiritual successor?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
This is just the new Mass Effect reboot that got scrapped, and then outsourced.

I mean, technically they're not wrong. The Mass Effect games never excelled at being shooters, and compared to some previous RPGs were pretty light in that regard. As an overall package though, even while straddling the line between both genres? The first and second were fantastic. The third game tried even harder to be a shooter, and while it definitely improved upon the previous two games in that regard, it shows that was more of a focus. The narrative was trash, the companions were mostly boring and so were most of the settings and arenas.

The most praise ME3 got was for the multiplayer...hmm.

Not every game needs to be a shooter (first or third), first-person, or open-world. Something many developers kind of forgot starting with gen 7. I don't have disdain for shooters, they just do nothing for me anymore, and trying to force the gene into games that generally play better without it always seem to hold back better combat designs with Action/Adventure games and RPGs. Mainly because they basically all play the same way.

You could argue the same for turn-based, but at least for a while there's a semblance of thought behind your actions. I find both styles boring anymore.
All shooters basically play the same? You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but that is reductive to an insane degree.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dunno why but for some reason it makes me think 'Spiders'

the developer, not the arachnid

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
All shooters basically play the same? You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but that is reductive to an insane degree.

Fundamentally yes, they do, regardless of how they're dressed up otherwise. Play Quake and play a modern FPS and you're not going to have a night and day differing experience.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Today in statements that give away someone's obviously trolling...

(Leak looks neat at least, though I imagine it'll be a while before we actually see it in its intended form)

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Fundamentally yes, they do, regardless of how they're dressed upthat otherwise. Play Quake and play a modern FPS and you're not going to have a night and day differing experience.
Okay, I'm not a big modern shooter fan, but I can't agree here. Quake, an arena shooter, plays absolutely nothing like CoD, a low TTK military shooter, or Mass Effect, a stop'n'pop shooter with a heavy RPG focus. They're completely different experiences.

Unless you think that the act of pointing and shooting means everything is the same, which is basically like saying all melee based action games are the same because you press a button to perform a melee attack.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you think that the act of pointing and shooting means everything is the same, which is basically like saying all melee based action games are the same because you press a button to perform a melee attack.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, and the comparison isn't really the same since there's so much more that can be done with melee action games that are not stuck behind a first-person perspective. Name a single first-person game that did melee that actually felt good to use. No, not even Dying Light is great, it's just above average, where the average is terrible.

Third-person shooters are much less limited, but still revolve around the same basic fundamental design when it comes to the actual shooting.

You can have varied worlds and stories in these games, but at the end of the day it comes down to gameplay for me.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fundamentally yes, they do, regardless of how they're dressed up otherwise. Play Quake and play a modern FPS and you're not going to have a night and day differing experience.
Spoken like someone that hasn't played a modern FPS or Quake. Quake and something like Call of Duty are two vastly different games. Sure you point click and shoot shit, but that's about where the similarities end

Edit: Also there are a few first-person games that have really well made melee combat. The Chivalry games, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, the Condemned games, Zeno clash etc. There are a great number of games that have solid first-person melee

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I think you should play more shooters, and maybe on the higher skill levels so you are forced to engage with their mechanics more.

Edit: reply reads more snippy than I intended. My suggestion is serious.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Spoken like someone that hasn't played a modern FPS or Quake. Quake and something like Call of Duty are two vastly different games. Sure you point click and shoot shit, but that's about where the similarities end

Ironically, I started with Doom in '94 and played pretty much all of the bigger first-person shooters up until Halo 2 which included Arena and Unreal Tournament. Then tried out various outliers like Bulletstorm and just stopped for a while. Ended up playing Halo again later regularly with friends, Gears and also COD, but sure, you can believe I have no experience. 🤷‍♂️

Fundamentally they are more similar than not.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Ironically, I started with Doom in '94 and played pretty much all of the bigger first-person shooters up until Halo 2 which included Arena and Unreal Tournament. Then tried out various outliers like Bulletstorm and just stopped for a while. Ended up playing Halo again later regularly with friends, Gears and also COD, but sure, you can believe I have no experience. 🤷‍♂️

Fundamentally they are more similar than not.
That's really not a lot of experience to back up such a sweeping claim.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
This clip is obviously so early in development that I don't think there's anything to really get out of it. Like even "Sony is publishing an Action RPG" isn't something you can really take away from it because who knows if this game will even come out, especially with this leak out in the wild.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This clip is obviously so early in development that I don't think there's anything to really get out of it. Like even "Sony is publishing an Action RPG" isn't something you can really take away from it because who knows if this game will even come out, especially with this leak out in the wild.
While obviously I can't say if this will come out or not, I'll mention I personally have seen a lot more of this game, and more recent stuff of this game than this clip. NOT THIS CLIP, but the game itself beyond this clip is at least at a point currently the game is fully voice acted, music composed specifically for it, been far more fine tuned than this clip.

I just am looking forward to it eventually getting announced on my side and the devs properly showing it off.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While obviously I can't say if this will come out or not, I'll mention I personally have seen a lot more of this game, and more recent stuff of this game than this clip. NOT THIS CLIP, but the game itself beyond this clip is at least at a point currently the game is fully voice acted, music composed specifically for it, been far more fine tuned than this clip.

I just am looking forward to it eventually getting announced on my side and the devs properly showing it off.
Huh, full voice acting and soundtrack implemented? I guess a game always has a chance of being scrapped but it sounds like this is decently far along. Curious to see more of it when it gets officially shown as that eye in the sky is tripping me out

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
That's really not a lot of experience to back up such a sweeping claim.

Do I really need to list every dedicated first-person shooter, third-person shooter as well as the multitudes of other genres that had combat based around them that I've played over nearly thirty years?

If you really want me to I can, but it's not going to change anything.

Kinda gives me an outriders vibe

That's what first came to my mind.

Bethesda has never developed a good combat system in any of their games.

At least VATS made it easier to swallow. I also thought the shooting in Fallout 4 was vastly improved overall. Too bad about the actual game itself though.

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Do I really need to list every dedicated first-person shooter, third-person shooter as well as the multitudes of other genres that had combat based around them that I've played over nearly thirty years?

If you really want me to I can, but it's not going to change anything.
Eh, I'm just trying to suss out why you'd think something like that. Maybe you play every shooter that comes out, I don't know.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Man I swear Era is an awful place sometimes. Literally 5 seconds of a game that is seemingly very early in development and we have people in here whining? What the fuck are y'all mad about?
It's no f*cking wonder we never get to see games early, because people don't understand how games are f*cking made.

I feel so bad for developers sometimes. I'm personally excited for this, because that shit looks insane to me, even this early on.

I'm really hoping devs will go back to incorporating simulations/physics in games this gen and taking it to the next level, because I absolutely loved that about the PS3/360 era.

You really notice how the anemic CPU's of last gen have hampered most games and that most games nowadays don't feature interactive environments.

There are exceptions to this though (i.e. the Uncharted 4 market shootout).

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
The devs are arachnids.
giphy.gif

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe they are working with the RPG team from Probably Monster? They're already working with Firewalk who are under PM, so maybe they've also signed a game with the RPG team.

Nice to know another project is underway, but shame on anyone complaining about the graphics. Every single game has rough graphics in the early stages.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
is impossible to make any assumptions about this, it looks like some sort of futuristic Gears of War to me i have no clue lol