• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
This looks toight. How long does the setup take to config the tools on windows. Am i right in thinking the output is a exe file.
github.com

sm64pc/sm64pc

OpenGL adaptation of n64decomp/sm64. Contribute to sm64pc/sm64pc development by creating an account on GitHub.

Follow the turorial step by step. How long it takes depends on you lol

And yes if you compile on windows the output is an exe

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Guys it seems like not many people know about this

The source code for the PC port is now 100% public and available on GitHub for everyone to see and contribute to. It now supports analog camera movement and even mouse look, with a brand new options menu for it:
0T5G6Rh.png

The builds instructions are in the github page. The dependencies are different than for the old leaked version. Also, as far as I can tell, it's impossible to build Windows binaries from Linux, which is what I tried at first. You need to build your Windows binaries from Windows, using mysys. It's all in the tutorial. Follow it step by step and you'll have no issues.
Holy shit, this is amazing.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Can I update my current leaked version to reflect changes/modifications to the game? For example the updated camera?
Build the new version and just place the new exe with your savefile. But the new version is crashing randomly on start when loading old savefiles (only on Windows), they're working on fixing that

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Build the new version and just place the new exe with your savefile. But the new version is crashing randomly on start when loading old savefiles (only on Windows), they're working on fixing that
also, sometimes it doesn't save the configs for the camera. dunno why.

Goomy

Banned
Aug 31, 2019
github.com

sm64pc/sm64pc

OpenGL adaptation of n64decomp/sm64. Contribute to sm64pc/sm64pc development by creating an account on GitHub.

Follow the turorial step by step. How long it takes depends on you lol

And yes if you compile on windows the output is an exe

I tried building it and it doesn't work: step 9 throws the error it couldn't find the command "tabledesign_CFLAGS"

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no, I went through that whole process only to realize it was the opengl version. Is the dx version available with analog/mouse controls?

I tried building it and it doesn't work: step 9 throws the error it couldn't find the command "tabledesign_CFLAGS"

I'm basically fumbling around and guessing, but I was able to continue by editing the makefile manually with notepad and editing that line.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, I went through that whole process only to realize it was the opengl version. Is the dx version available with analog/mouse controls?

I'm basically fumbling around and guessing, but I was able to continue by editing the makefile manually with notepad and editing that line.
i mean, tbf, when the fullscreen bug is fixed(doesn't seem to be on the latest commit), it's the best version, given we can force aa.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Mouse look is amazing. It feels really good with the Steam Controller.

i mean, tbf, when the fullscreen bug is fixed(doesn't seem to be on the latest commit), it's the best version, given we can force aa.

Yeah, that's my main issue. I'll keep an eye out for that update.

Goomy

Banned
Aug 31, 2019

Finally got it working, thanks!

also, sometimes it doesn't save the configs for the camera. dunno why.
Yup. It keeps forgetting the settings whenever I enter a new level. Hell, whenever I enter a warp shortcut it wipes the camera configs. Really annoying when the default camera configs are the wrong ones for me.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Mouse camera is crazy. I'm using the Steam Controller, so I have mouse on the trackpad, and grips set to jump.

Just a short example of how smooth it is

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Mouse camera is crazy. I'm using the Steam Controller, so I have mouse on the trackpad, and grips set to jump.

HNNNG, so good. i made a build with it, bur rn the save is bugged, so it crashes. waiting for it to be fixed.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
HNNNG, so good. i made a build with it, bur rn the save is bugged, so it crashes. waiting for it to be fixed.
The Windows version currently has like a 75% change of crashing on startup when there's a save present but if you open it enough times it will eventually open and work fine

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Wow, that looks fantastic!

I'm low key expecting to be disappointed from the Mario 64 Switch remaster whenever it's revealed (I expect a too NSMBU graphics style and DS characters instead of N64 items for example) and this is basically perfect already in what a modern Mario 64 should be and will only get better from here on out.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that looks fantastic!

I'm low key expecting to be disappointed from the Mario 64 Switch remaster whenever it's revealed (I expect a too NSMBU graphics style and DS characters instead of N64 items for example) and this is basically perfect already in what a modern Mario 64 should be and will only get better from here on out.

Yeah, I am expecting the worst.

I wish the game would look like the official art, but they will most likely go with the generic standard look.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I remember reading that with a Gameshark you could get the Blargg model re-added to the lava levels.
I wonder if the same can be done here with the code since that's where the original references were found to him.

i6tkHRD.png

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been studying the code for some days(during my free time from work) and only now it clicked for me how the main loop works combined with the macro script architecture. I'm starting feeling confident to play with some modifications..XD

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
This sounds nice and all, but I'm waiting on playable Princess Peach. 😉
There is a multiplayer mod of the 64 emulated version that has multiple characters, including Peach with the float! Look up a safe mirror somewhere and give it a shot!

My Favorite character is Waluigi, because he jumps very high in exchange for taking double damage, but his jump is TOO HIGH, and triggers fall damage when you land, making him functionally useless!

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Finally compiled it and it works fine, the only thing is the analogue camera keeps disabling itself. Any way to fix?

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One interesting thing I didn't know is that during the start-up demo, with Mario and Bowser, the fight is actually happening. I changed the animation and stopped Mario movements then Bowser was able to hit him. I thought that this stuff was totally scripted.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
For the folks who tried it btw.

Can you move mario face and stretch etc using the mouse?
I would imagine that be a lot of fun because you have way more control then you would ever had in 24 fps and 1 analog stick :D

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
One interesting thing I didn't know is that during the start-up demo, with Mario and Bowser, the fight is actually happening. I changed the animation and stopped Mario movements then Bowser was able to hit him. I thought that this stuff was totally scripted.
With most games, if you play it twice the exact same way with the exact same button presses, then you'll get the exact same outcome. Because of that, those games can play back demos (e.g. title screens, attract screens, or the Super Guide) by just loading a level and playing back a set of recorded button presses within the game's engine. Theoretically, in those games, you could take control of those demos at any time, if the code let you.

What's fun is when the playback of the button presses messes up or glitches out. Do you know of the title screen demo in the original Super Mario Bros. on NES? It's supposed to look like this:

But more often than not (including when you first boot up the game), it plays like this instead:

It's clearly a messed up playback of button presses, as he's walking into the pipe, and performing all the same jumps, moments, and short runs, with nothing there to jump on.

Last edited:

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
There is a multiplayer mod of the 64 emulated version that has multiple characters, including Peach with the float! Look up a safe mirror somewhere and give it a shot!

My Favorite character is Waluigi, because he jumps very high in exchange for taking double damage, but his jump is TOO HIGH, and triggers fall damage when you land, making him functionally useless!

Thanks, I'll check it out! Hopefully with that template there, it can get ported over to this PC version in due course. 😊

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Built it successfully in Linux. Turns out it's super easy to edit game text, sound effects, and textures once everything's been extracted. Want to figure out models next, but it'll be a pain I feel.

I'm also getting the "camera settings not saving" issue. Don't know if there's a solution yet, but it's a matter of time.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
I just copied what rule #9 said. I looked for the line that said "tabledesign_CFLAGS := -Wno-uninitialized -laudiofile" and added the bit it asked for at the end "-lstdc++"
I don't have that line in my makefile. It's the file that's just called "makefile" with no extension, right?

Goomy

Banned
Aug 31, 2019
I tried editing the config file, but it would reset every time I booted up the game. It does remember whether you have mouselook on or off, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Someone ported the game on Switch, crediting Team Atlas, the guys behind Kosmos CFW. It runs pretty well but Team Atlas claims they don't have anything to do with it.

This is... pretty weird.

Goomy

Banned
Aug 31, 2019
I just downloaded and built a newer version of the testing branch, and they fixed the camera settings issue!

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I'm excited the port is gaining traction, features, and bug fixes. I ordered all the parts for the physical cart reader so I can get a ROM from my N64 carts, but the shipping lag time is killing me. You better believe I'm bumping this thread once it's put together and I've got it SM64 running on my PC.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I just downloaded and built a newer version of the testing branch, and they fixed the camera settings issue!
That's nice to hear. I saw that they pushed the camera stuff over to the master, which also includes fullscreen and other fixes. I'm building as we speak, but getting the camera stuff is confusing me a bit. They say to build it with the make BETTERCAMERA=1 flag but I honestly don't know how or when to do this.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice to hear. I saw that they pushed the camera stuff over to the master, which also includes fullscreen and other fixes. I'm building as we speak, but getting the camera stuff is confusing me a bit. They say to build it with the make BETTERCAMERA=1 flag but I honestly don't know how or when to do this.
yep. it was all inserted onto Testing, but i never managed to add the camera to the master version. given Goomy report, ill build the testing branch later today.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
What's the confusion? When you run the make command, just add BETTERCAMERA=1.

If the command is being ignored, run make clean and then build the game.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a PITA to use for me since I have a 144hz monitor and it runs way too fast by default.

What was the dev thinking, tying frame rate to monitor refresh rate?