• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Are there currently any other known issues with the increased draw distance besides chain chomp in BOB? Has anyone done some good testing with it yet?
I read on another forum that there's some crashes depending on your system/OS, mostly with people still using 32bit Windows. I'm good with the an older build, so I have no reason to upgrade and test/verify myself.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I've learned a bit of coding these few days by messing around with Mario 64's code, and today I decided to do my first "project": I implemented cheats (including a menu for them). I think the most interesting cheat is the "super responsive controls" one. Basically it makes Mario instantly look at the direction you input with the stick, with ZERO interpolation. Basically think of it as the direct opposite of RDR2's controls lol. It's shown towards the end of the video. And don't worry, you can still slide and side jump with it enabled.

It got merged into the nightly branch, so you can test it right now. Have fun!

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I've learned a bit of coding these few days by messing around with Mario 64's code, and today I decided to do my first "project": I implemented cheats (including a menu for them). I think the most interesting cheat is the "super responsive controls" one. Basically it makes Mario instantly look at the direction you input with the stick, with ZERO interpolation. Basically think of it as the direct opposite of RDR2's controls lol. It's shown towards the end of the video. And don't worry, you can still slide and side jump with it enabled.

Wow, nicely done!

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That's very cool!

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks :) I'm planning to implement more cheats, like "giant mario", "tiny mario", and whatever crosses my mind.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This has been bothering me for a few days, but do I suck, or is the triple jump timing tighter than it is on the original? I feel like I can't do it consistently enough, especially when trying to exploit getting on top of the castle without stars.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks :) I'm planning to implement more cheats, like "giant mario", "tiny mario", and whatever crosses my mind.
Can you make it so the Mario face we create on the title screen becomes the face of Mario in game? I'm sure you'd love it if you could play as Mario with the face in your avatar lol.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed to successfully compiling the .exe after half an hour of pain.

The game runs to fast though...sounds like I'm not done playing with settings. :lol

EDIT: Get it, I think it's because I have a 144hz monitor.

EDIT 2: Never mind, apparently I was using an old src code. Now it's all fine and holy shit it plays great!!!

Last edited:

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
This has been bothering me for a few days, but do I suck, or is the triple jump timing tighter than it is on the original? I feel like I can't do it consistently enough, especially when trying to exploit getting on top of the castle without stars.
My experience has been that Ive been pressing the a button too late. Probably an effect of playing mario 64 on emulation for such a long time (higher input lag)

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
My experience has been that Ive been pressing the a button too late. Probably an effect of playing mario 64 on emulation for such a long time (higher input lag)
I might have to bust out my N64 for this. Mario 64 is one of those games I haven't even booted emulator wise beyond getting everything set up, so I'm not using it as my frame of reference.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Try to push the button a bit after you land instead of a bit before you land. It's a side effect of having less input lag.

Make a concious effort to NOT press the button before you see Mario touching the ground.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Can you make it so the Mario face we create on the title screen becomes the face of Mario in game? I'm sure you'd love it if you could play as Mario with the face in your avatar lol.
Dude, I started """learning to code""" like 4 days ago by messing around with the code of a 1996 game. Even if that was possible there's no way I can do such a thing lol

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Try to push the button a bit after you land instead of a bit before you land. It's a side effect of having less input lag.

Make a concious effort to NOT press the button before you see Mario touching the ground.
Less input lag makes sense; I pretty much pulled off every triple jump I attempted in Mupen64.

It's going to be hard as hell for me to re-learn how to jump though, lol.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I am trying to compile this on my raspberry pi 4, but the provided script on the github is throwing this error. What does it mean? I have the rom in the correct folder.

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I am looking for some help. I was able to run this a while back and got a good build before the bettercamera was introduced. Now though, I get this error at the last step @ PATH=/mingw32/bin:/mingw64/bin:$PATH make

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Makefile:54: tabledesign] Error 1
make: Leaving directory '/d/sm64pc-master/tools'
Makefile:187: *** Failed to build tools. Stop.

I have done this many times, with make bettercamera=1, nodrawingdistanc=1, clean, and just the regular one in step 9, all give this error. Any help on this would be super great.

Also, where would I put in the Skip introductory Peach & Lakitu cutscenes with the --skip-intro CLI option and the (Activate with --cheats) options?

I am not super savy with coding and building, but this is kicking my ass here. Thank you for your help.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Hello everyone. I am looking for some help. I was able to run this a while back and got a good build before the bettercamera was introduced. Now though, I get this error at the last step @ PATH=/mingw32/bin:/mingw64/bin:$PATH make

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Makefile:54: tabledesign] Error 1
make: Leaving directory '/d/sm64pc-master/tools'
Makefile:187: *** Failed to build tools. Stop.

I have done this many times, with make bettercamera=1, nodrawingdistanc=1, clean, and just the regular one in step 9, all give this error. Any help on this would be super great.

Also, where would I put in the Skip introductory Peach & Lakitu cutscenes with the --skip-intro CLI option and the (Activate with --cheats) options?

I am not super savy with coding and building, but this is kicking my ass here. Thank you for your help.
Are you in the tools directory? I think for the final step you want to be in the base directory.

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the double post, I fixed my issue. After Nabs suggestion, I found out I didn't move directories on step 9. Thank you!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There's a decent script that mostly automates the the compiling process.

The initial setup process is shorter, and the actual steps to compile consist of three lines, and then hitting the prompts when it asks you what mods you want to add.

Doesn't work for compiling the nightly builds for some reason.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the double post, I fixed my issue. After Nabs suggestion, I found out I didn't move directories on step 9. Thank you!
Glad you got it working!

I'm currently having fun with the nightly. The responsive controls is a nice addition. All I need now is an improved hud or a hud toggle and I'm good. Fake edit: It looks like someone is currently working on adding it to the nightly. Awesome.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Where is this script?
Holy shit, I thought I attached both of them to the thread. My bad. On the plus side, this allows me to include instructions, which I clearly didn't even attempt to do in the first post lol.

Windows:

build.sh

Linux:

install-ubuntu.sh

XLQO0u.png

XLQ2Lf.png

XLQjKv.png

For Linux:

XLQxKD.png

It took awhile for the Windows scripts to work for me because of some server issues earlier, but both master and nightly seem to be working fine -- someone merged the cheat menu to the nightly, but the script doesn't seem to incorporate it into the builds from what I can see. And because I don't have Linux, I don't know if the Linux script grabs everything properly or not.

And before anyone asks, there's no roms included; I kept having issues because my stuff was in folders rather than the root of my drive; I would assume I wouldn't have had to deal with an hour of troubleshooting if a rom came with it lol.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any place where I can follow what people have been doing with this more closely?
The subreddit I found is dubious at best so I'm not going to share it. I'm not sure how many Discords there are dedicated to this thing, though.

I've been searching for days on some sort of straightforward location that wasn't some github page that's tedious to read.

And from my understanding, people are working publicly with the OpenGL version while the DirectX12 version isn't going to have anything recent to compile into an exe until next month, unless I'm wrong with what people have told me, things seem pretty damn fractured and all over the place at the moment.

From what it seems like, this thread is probably the best.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The subreddit I found is dubious at best so I'm not going to share it. I'm not sure how many Discords there are dedicated to this thing, though.

I've been searching for days on some sort of straightforward location that wasn't some github page that's tedious to read.

And from my understanding, people are working publicly with the OpenGL version while the DirectX12 version isn't going to have anything recent to compile into an exe until next month, unless I'm wrong with what people have told me, things seem pretty damn fractured and all over the place at the moment.

From what it seems like, this thread is probably the best.

Okay alright I see, too bad because I feel with a more focused community even greater things could happen with this way faster.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Holy shit, I thought I attached both of them to the thread. My bad. On the plus side, this allows me to include instructions, which I clearly didn't even attempt to do in the first post lol.

Windows:

build.sh

Linux:

install-ubuntu.sh

XLQO0u.png

XLQ2Lf.png

XLQjKv.png

For Linux:

XLQxKD.png

It took awhile for the Windows scripts to work for me because of some server issues earlier, but both master and nightly seem to be working fine -- someone merged the cheat menu to the nightly, but the script doesn't seem to incorporate it into the builds from what I can see. And because I don't have Linux, I don't know if the Linux script grabs everything properly or not.

And before anyone asks, there's no roms included; I kept having issues because my stuff was in folders rather than the root of my drive; I would assume I wouldn't have had to deal with an hour of troubleshooting if a rom came with it lol.

Thanks for this, im just trying to do the compile in a few steps and using a rasberry pi 4 running raspbian os. Can I just run the linux script you linked, will it work? Tbh there is no straight forward guide ive seen that even tells you where to place the zip file contents from the github. A lot of basic info is missing from the github wiki. I guess you are expected to know a lot already, but a few steps for linux would be good for newbs like me. I ran the pi script provided off the official github and that threw an error which a era poster helped fix. Then the script ran more and crashed again, they clearly didnt test the pi script.

If someone can point me from the start on linux where to place the files? I understand you need to run terminal cmds, but the files and structure required is not mentioned anywhere afaik apart from the baserom part which I know

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this, im just trying to do the compile in a few steps and using a rasberry pi 4 running raspbian os. Can I just run the linux script you linked, will it work? Tbh there is no straight forward guide ive seen that even tells you where to place the zip file contents from the github. A lot of basic info is missing from the github wiki. I guess you are expected to know a lot already, but a few steps for linux would be good for newbs like me. I ran the pi script provided off the official github and that threw an error which a era poster helped fix. Then the script ran more and crashed again, they clearly didnt test the pi script.

If someone can point me from the start on linux where to place the files? I understand you need to run terminal cmds, but the files and structure required is not mentioned anywhere afaik apart from the baserom part which I know
It doesn't matter where you place the files. It can be /home/you/sm64pc or whatever. All that matters is that the baserom is in the root of the source code.

EDIT: Didn't realise you're talking about raspberry pi. I only have compiled the game on Windows and Linux, sorry.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to compile it on Raspbian and then have a binary that works on Retropie/Lakka?

Also, does the region of the ROM matter?

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
It doesn't matter where you place the files. It can be /home/you/sm64pc or whatever. All that matters is that the baserom is in the root of the source code.

EDIT: Didn't realise you're talking about raspberry pi. I only have compiled the game on Windows and Linux, sorry.

No problem im just playing with the Pi atm, hope to get it setup under the living room tv as a emulation console.

Can you list the exact location for the rom plz

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I successfully compiled it on my Pinebook just fine a while back, which is a laptop based on a little arm sbc. The compilation instructions were very similar to that when running on a typical Linux distro. I see no reason why it would be any different on a Pi.

One small addition - In my case, I needed to recompile everything in the tools directory as well as the main makefile. I think this was probably because make clean didn't get rid of it (my make clean just runs rm -r build), and I had it left over from when I was compiling on x86_64.

Here were the instructions I posted at the time, but it's likely that things will be slightly different now. This was pre-github days:

The pacman line will obviously be different (I am running manjaro arm), but it's just installing dependencies. Just do the sudo apt install line from the github page instead:

sudo apt install build-essential pkg-config git binutils-mips-linux-gnu python3 zlib1g-dev libaudiofile-dev

Oct 7, 2019
Is it possible to compile it on Raspbian and then have a binary that works on Retropie/Lakka?

Also, does the region of the ROM matter?

I compiled it on a Pi 4 (with Retropie on it) using the same build instructions as Debian - it launched to Mario's face okay but I haven't got the controller working yet so I haven't gone beyond that. As for the ROM, I just used the US one.

Culver

May 9, 2018
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have the issue where this seems to be running at 1.5X speed? the music and the character seem to be going faster then normal speed and it's breaking the music and movement of the game. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have the issue where this seems to be running at 1.5X speed? the music and the character seem to be going faster then normal speed and it's breaking the music and movement of the game. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?
You need to lock it to 30fps. Higher fps is currently not supported.