• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Ayres had made a name for herself on YouTube and Instagram by extolling the virtues of a raw and vegan lifestyle, now often referred to as "plant-based." Her YouTube channels — she has about 2 million subscribers on her Spanish language channel and another 500,000 in English — are filled with videos of her sharing vegan recipes and skin care routines. On her personal website, she sells meal plans, including a 21-day "Raw Vegan Detox & Yoga Challenge," to help people lose weight for $49.

But a couple of weeks after she landed in Bali, she appeared in another YouTube star's video at a restaurant. The camera found her seated in front of a salad. Her arms dropping to cover the plate did not stop commenters from identifying a distinctly not plant-based item on her plate: fish.

The story of the vegan social media star who was not really a vegan has now traveled across the globe and back. It has been covered by news outlets around the world: from England, to Mexico to Poland and Mexico — the punchline of a joke to some, and to others, yet another example about the way in which the vast and largely unregulated world of social media presents such a ripe environment for scams.

In an emotional apology Ayres released on YouTube last week, she explained why she misled her fans. She changed her diet after years of significant health problems that culminated with doctors urging her to eat more food, including protein and eggs, she said.

The lifestyle of fitness, weight loss and wellness she had sold to her followers had apparently been making her ill.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...-camera/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cabffe62f584

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Please refer to any raw-vegan morons as such. Don't give vegans a bad name by lumping them all together.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Meh, I don't buy the protein or egg deflection. Protein is the easiest thing to find in a vegan diet.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
She changed her diet after years of significant health problems that culminated with doctors urging her to eat more food, including protein and eggs, she said.

So she is ok with shilling something that fucked her up. The money must have been good

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, this happens all the time with Instragram and Youtube 'celebs' right? Unfortunately there is no permanent way to prevent them from making money in the future from their bs schemes - people are gullible af.

Jan 10, 2018
Raw food, paleo and whatever their names are, remain the worst. We have been cooking and baking since forever. And for a good reason.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's shitty if she's been profiting on veganism and acting all holier than thou about it. But I've been vegan for 9 years, and I still eat doughnuts and cheese pizza on occasion. It's nearly impossible to go 100% vegan, and cheating on the few things you like is a necessary evil if you're really trying to do it long term.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this happens all the time with Instragram and Youtube 'celebs' right? Unfortunately there is no permanent way to prevent them from making money in the future from their bs schemes - people are gullible af.
This happens all the time, all day every day, with marketing in general.

Nov 30, 2018
People profit for lying all the time. I doubt this woman is 1-10th as bad as large corporations.

Hell, YouTube allows child abusers on their platform but yeah go after this woman for eating fish.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What did she expect to happen? She is well known, telling people where she is, and eating fish in public. It was only a matter of time before someone noticed and she was exposed.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So where exactly does the vegan diet land on the health scale? Her doctors told her to stop being a vegan...

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
As a vegan I always tell everyone with questions the same thing.

Everyone's body works differently, do what works for you.

So either this lady wasn't doing veganism in the healthiest way or her body just wasn't working with it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So where exactly does the vegan diet land on the health scale? Her doctors told her to stop being a vegan...
I think it is one of those things that depends on the person and the diet. People thinking one size fits all and not talking to a doctor leads to a lot of problems

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Makes no sense to lie about that, though I guess she made quite a fortune from it...
This is the most contradictory post I've ever seen haha. Makes all the sense in the world as you already figured out

It all seems strange. She covers her plate because she knows it would be bad to get caught. Why not ask your Youtube friend to edit out that last second? "Didn't know how serious it was"? Then why cover it up and lie? So many bullshit excuses, it's pathetic.

People profit for lying all the time. I doubt this woman is 1-10th as bad as large corporations.

Hell, YouTube allows child abusers on their platform but yeah go after this woman for eating fish.
Yeah, people are totally going after her just because she ate fish. Not for selling a potentially dangerous lifestyle to millions of people. Sometimes it's ok to call someone out instead of resorting to whataboutism

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it is one of those things that depends on the person and the diet. People thinking one size fits all and not talking to a doctor leads to a lot of problems

Makes sense. People definitely should be consulting with a doctor if they plan on changing their diet. Just listening to youtubers and infomercials can mess your body up.

Personally I could gain a lot from cutting out meat from my diet right now but I don't think it could be a lifelong diet change for me.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the most contradictory post I've ever seen haha. Makes all the sense in the world as you already figured out

It all seems strange. She covers her plate because she knows it would be bad to get caught. Why not ask your Youtube friend to edit out that last second? "Didn't know how serious it was"? Then why cover it up and lie? So many bullshit excuses, it's pathetic.
It's my duality, one side wondering why on earth someone would even bother to lie about it but the more cynical side knowing exactly why.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is not with the diet. Being vegan is going to be good for a lot of people.

The problem is the marketing and the exaggeration that follows these diets. Diet alone can only do so much.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

She is selling "healthy" meal plans and diets that actually made her ill. On the scam scale i'd say that rates as pretty bad. Not as bad as child abuse but y'know. She wasn't just doing non-disclosed advertising.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the Youtuber's "apology" video, and damn... The woman had, because of her extreme diet (at one point she drank only water, eating nothing for weeks), a number of serious health issues over the past years, physically and mentally, while at the same time acting as if nothing was wrong and promoting her unhealthy lifestyle to her many followers. In the end her issues got so worrisome that she simply needed to incorporate different things to her diet, also animal products, and she did get eventually better. At the same time she kept this from her followers as well.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She said she became a raw vegan six years ago — eating only uncooked plant-based foods — but started experiencing problems after a 25-day fast in 2014

Why do people do this without consulting professionals outside the internet? That's insane

Humans are not herbivores. I learned that fact in grade school.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I mean, the way she got sick (not watching the video right now), was it because she just wasn't eating properly (raw vegan)/supplementing her diet appropriately? I aimed for a plant dominant diet this year out of ethical reasons, but I still take my multi to get my B vitamins and protein when I go to the gym (big when).

Cause it's pretty scummy in general to not tell your followers about these things, especially if you're getting majorly ill- because people always looking for a magic diet without taking in proper knowledge before making a major diet change.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched the Youtuber's "apology" video, and damn... The woman had, because of her extreme diet (at one point she drank only water, eating nothing for weeks), a number of serious health issues over the past years, physically and mentally, while at the same time acting as if nothing was wrong and promoting her unhealthy lifestyle to her many followers. In the end her issues got so worrisome that she simply needed to incorporate different things to her diet, also animal products, and she did get eventually better. At the same time she kept this from her followers as well.

Ok, that is not a vegan diet. That's a dumbass diet.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Had an ex that was all in on the raw vegan YouTube fad. And the Reiki fad. And all the psychiatry-is-a-lie shit. No reasoning with it like. The thought process goes: 1) modern life is making us sick, 2) leeches will solve all my problems, 3) the world must know about the leeches and me

Oct 28, 2017
Influential people who publicly push these stupid unbalanced diets are doing a huge disservice to the animals. I wish the science-based vegans on social media were the ones with the millions of followers, rather than the fucking piss-drinking morons who then blame veganism and not their retarded diets when they inevitably get health problems.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
She would have been better off just admitting to being a hypocrite and really wanting to have some fish. Her eating the fish because her vegan diet was making her sick is much much worse. Imagine continuing to promote a lifestyle that has made you ill and then not sharing such discoveries to your large audience. Either way she's fucked. Truth? I think she's probably just a hypocrite and that she eats meat sometimes because she enjoys it.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people do this without consulting professionals outside the internet? That's insane

Humans are not herbivores. I learned that fact in grade school.
Wait so she got sick after just 1 year? And continued to advertise it since then, for 5 years?! Fuck off

Truth? I think she's probably just a hypocrite and that she eats meat sometimes because she enjoys it.
Why would she say that she has been defrauding people for years if it wasn't true? That is much worse than just saying "I get tempted sometimes and enjoy meat". The latter would just make her human and probably barely any controversy.