• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not everything?

I personally agree with him about the thing that the left get's offended too much. Like, Chris Hemsworth dressing up as an native american for some party made the left go nuts.

Perhaps the problem is that you seem to define "the left" as people who get upset at racist caricatures. I.E. how do you know "the left" went nuts? You don't think perhaps someone conservative leaning couldn't be offended by that?

The left is perpetually upset, because anybody who is upset is "the left."

Somehow, however, this never seems to apply to people getting upset over a black man kneeling over police shootings.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
No.

But what would people have done if one white kid and one black kid are friends and their Halloween idea would be each other. Would I allow the white kid to have blackface if he asked me "paint black color on my face, I want to look like my friends so we can confuse people". I actually have no idea right no what I would have done.
You're kidding right?

Don't let kids put on blackface. Explain why if you have to but it shouldn't be a hard thing to decide.

Last edited:

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree that the Left are the cause of the Alt-Right's counter cultural position...

...but Ballard is right on pretty much everything else, I reckon.

We're not taking enough actual action and we absolutely cannot take criticism, even if it is constructive. There is a militant, moralising, puritanical streak to a lot of discourse that blocks critical thinking and nuance.

I would like to combine that Zero Books video with this one from Mark Blyth.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No.

But what would people have done if one white kid and one black kid are friends and their Halloween idea would be each other. Would I allow the white kid to have blackface if he asked me "paint black color on my face, I want to look like my friends so we can confuse people". I actually have no idea right no what I would have done.

I'd tell the white kids parents, who assuredly saw their child going out in blackface, that they are morons for letting that shit stand. I don't expect the kid to understand the cultural significance of doing so, I'd expect adults to, however. And I'd expect adults to teach their children not to do that, just as they'd teach a child not to touch a hot stove.

And in case you're one of those "I let my children touch hot stoves to learn a lesson" type folks, be aware that the lesson that should be learned is that the white kid should get his ass kicked by society for that.

Albert

Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess we simply come from different cultures then. I don't think anyone here would have had a problem with Hemsworth.
Maybe that's because your European country has next to no Native Americans.
Interesting that you didn't answer "no" the first time around.
This is a pants-on-head stupid hypothetical.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Instead of fantasy hypotheticals, how about using real world events?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd tell the white kids parents, who assuredly saw their child going out in blackface, that they are morons for letting that shit stand. I don't expect the kid to understand the cultural significance of doing so, I'd expect adults to, however. And I'd expect adults to teach their children not to do that, just as they'd teach a child not to touch a hot stove.

And in case you're one of those "I let my children touch hot stoves to learn a lesson" type folks, be aware that the lesson that should be learned is that the white kid should get his ass kicked by society for that.

Thx for the perspective. The reason Im asking is that we never have any blackface situations here in my country so it's something that's never talked about. I think there was a theater thing a few years ago where a bunch of white people had blackface, but nobody cared about that.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It was an example for a question, not directly aimed at Hemsworth. So are kids allowed to play that or not? Or will people not get dehumanized until some is at a certain age?
They probably shouldn't honestly. Cowboys and Indians rarely fought anyway I think we can just do away with that kids playtime thing. Stick with cops and robbers.

Perd Hapley

Oct 25, 2017
No.

As a parent in this situation, you would explain to your child it's not a great idea and you'd offer up a better idea instead. Not that hard. You are literally creating an inane problem that would never conceivably exist in order to concern troll, and about what? Potential issues that might arise from not letting children wear fucking blackface? Think this through for one second.

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
Their messaging changes to benefit them no matter what we do. This argument is bull.
This is important. When you're against a faceless blob that doesn't believe in anything - then by virtue of having anything worth defending - you have already lost if you think you can win "on their terms".

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
No.

Have the black kid's parents explain to them why it's not cool if you,re confused by such a ridiculous situation.

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
This video is Australian, so mandatory voting and a preferential voting system means that more parties isn't the deal that it is elsewhere.

I think the main points are from the interviewee,

- criticism of left wing methods is not criticism of the goals, but they are conflated.
- if you call someone a racist/sexist/etc. and they don't think or realise they are, they will typically feel attacked and retreat to a safe tribe, not suddenly enlightened.
- looking for any slip up or transgression to write someone off completely and forever
- giving small picture problems equal focus as big picture - especially in social media.

If I've misrepresented any of that I apologise.

Nope, you're on point my man.

These last two I feel is more anchored towards how we convey conversation online more than anything, leftist or not. Often I find those whom entrench themselves with that kind of discourse aren't so much as looking to change hearts and minds, but more of a way to externalize their frustrations and fish out for some meaty conflict.

vertigo

Aug 25, 2018
Brooklyn
Seen this video. I think by its own nature, political correctness causes a rise in people believing "i am being attacked" that can lead to alt right sensibilities.
It has also lead the public to instinctively avoid discussions of unjustified hierarchies especially capitalism and colonialism, the root of other injustices in social hierarchies

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Thx for the perspective. The reason Im asking is that we never have any blackface situations here in my country so it's something that's never talked about. I think there was a theater thing a few years ago where a bunch of white people had blackface, but nobody cared about that.
No one cared or no one listened. Because there been people talking about Zwarte Piet for years and they get ignored

OP
OP

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before Trump we had a black centrist president who rarely talked about race or identity, who bought into the exaggerated safe spaces on college campuses crisis and political correctness. He'd probably share more views in common with Sam Harris type than people on this form. The idea that the democratics or left wing politicians are too PC is utter nonsense and is usually just means that person wants to be able to say racist things with no consequences

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Old straight white man says left is getting too sensitive and PC for him news at 11. There's probably 15 videos of these a day

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
So what created the current climate in US politics?

Decades of vilifying and straight up elimination of social safety nets, relaxing anti-trust law leading to massive corporate consolidation which in turn led to campaign finance reform and now we're at the point where corporations are straight up writing the laws for themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
1: I don't remember "the left" freaking out about Hemsworth, other than pointing out at the time it was a dumb costume and then being happy/satisfied with a response. Unless this is a "left freaks out" thing that Reddit likes to push on some of their quasi-hate subs.

2: Ignorance is ignorance, and when it was pointed out to him, he admitted his ignorance on it and didn't deflect or try to absolve himself of it, unlike "what about kids playing cowboys and Indians" whataboutism.

3: People really want to absolve voters in 2016 by blaming it other than racism or tolerance of racism for "whatever" reasons, and it's becomes more pathetic day by day.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't buy this at all, not for a second. This idea that, in today's global society, people can be literally unaware of racial stereotyping. What country are you from, again?

vertigo

Aug 25, 2018
Brooklyn
Also, though, I think the way he is presenting his arguments as some edge lord is really unnecessary and distasteful.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is an argument to be made that by being more 'militant' we're fighting on their terms and playing into a stereotype that benefits their messaging.

But being less aggressive also plays into stereotypes that benefit conservatives. If we focus on respect too much, conservatives will say "You guys are supposed to be the party of tolerance, so tolerate my opinion!" no matter how backwards, bigoted, or unscientific. If we try to be outright nice to everyone, we play into that reputation for spinelessness.

Are kids not allowed to play cowboy and indians any longer because they dehumanize the race? Are people not allowed to dressup in certain costumes on, le's say, Halloween because it might offend or dehumanize some people?

Kids don't play cowboys and indians anymore because it was outdated even when I was a kid in the nineties, and any kid with common sense knew that was the shit their parents or grandparents liked (and therefore boring). It was all about Star Wars and Pokemon back then, and now with tablets and smartphones, most kids aren't going to be interested.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Explain how fucking racist it is?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kids don't play cowboys and indians anymore because it was outdated even when I was a kid in the nineties, and any kid with common sense knew that was the shit their parents or grandparents liked (and therefore boring). It was all about Star Wars and Pokemon back then, and now with tablets and smartphones, most kids aren't going to be interested.

To add to this, I remember playing pretend as a kid in the early 90's, and it was all Mortal Kombat and Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario and Power Rangers.

I don't remember ever, ever playing Cowboys or Indians. Or telling my white friends to paint their faces to look like me.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So the OP is apparently naive enough not to understand why blackface is offensive but has a lot of opinions about "the left"

Okay

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Thx for the perspective. The reason Im asking is that we never have any blackface situations here in my country .
Yeah, it's called "Svarte Per" directly translated to "Black Per" here and it's very popular.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Hey, when I was a young white kid in like 1st grade I wanted to be Bill Cosby for Halloween and wanted to paint my face black with a marker. My mom told me I couldn't do it because it was racist. I didn't do it.

Problem solved.

Christine

Oct 25, 2017
Gone
Are kids not allowed to play cowboy and indians any longer because they dehumanize the race?

I mean framing this as "allowed" is kinda weird but it's pretty straightforwardly true that "cowboys and indians" is roleplay that endorses and valorizes white supremacy and defending it under cloak of youthful innocence is a racist thing to do.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
One of the suggestions was to start a new political party. That's what the left needs. More left leaning parties to choose from on election day.
Yea, millions of people in 2016 said, fuck, there no one left of Clinton, might as well vote for hard right racist, misogynistic piece of shit. Maybe if he goes hard enough right we'll end up somewhere left.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Right.

The left didn't become angry over night, this shit has been building for a long time and a lot of liberals are tired of seeing history repeat itself and asked to be meek and polite while it all happens.
Let's not forget that they aren't just arguing with the right. They're arguing with shitty moderates who find superiority complexes in their lazy inaction.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, guys, let's imagine this hypothetical scenario.
What if Jesus came back and he told right-wingers they should round up black people and Muslims and shoot them up?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Are kids not allowed to play cowboy and indians any longer because they dehumanize the race?

Kids emulate what they see. If you're not showing them dehumanizing shit that glorifies fights between cowboys and indians they won't want to play cowboys and indians. I played it as a kid but that's because my dad watched pretty problematic westerns and didn't give a shit about teaching me not to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.