• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is to say, janky as all hell.

I'm loving the world/environment, the characters, and the story so far, but I'm really hating actually having to engage in combat. I imagine this is how a lot of people felt playing Witcher 3, a game whose combat system I personally enjoyed.

Am I alone in not liking Origins' combat system?

I felt the exact same way. Plus I didn't like anything else about the game as much as you did.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
ACO's combat is acceptable.

What really kills it for me though is performance on PS4; it constantly stutters and drops during mild combat encounters which makes every button press feel disconnected from the execution. I love the setting, I'm even enjoying the story - but I'm about to drop it because combat feels so disgusting on PS4.

I'd happily trade the 4k checkerboard for a locked properly frame paced 1080/30.

OP
OP
Yasuke

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both Senu and Bayek are playable, if you wanna literally explore the entire map as Senu you can.

That's another point I ain't even bother bringing up; controlling Senu is egregious.

I love The Witcher 3 and AC Origins both, but I feel like you may be misunderstanding the complaints about The Witcher's combat if you think Origins falls into the same trap. People dislike the floaty feel of The Witcher 3, the way that animations don't always neatly correspond to player input. Origins doesn't have that problem at all. I feel like Origins lacks combat depth relative to The Witcher 3, but it definitely doesn't fall into the same problems with feel, at least not to the same degree.

I've never felt like Witcher 3 didn't respond perfectly to my button presses, so I strongly disagree. Controlling Geralt feels kinda graceful when he's locked into his parrying stance, circling enemies, especially compared to ACO.

And the comparison wasn't meant to be a perfect one. It was just me saying "hey, just like a lot of y'all love everything about Witcher 3, but can't be bothered to play it because the combat is horrible to you; that's my experience with Assassin's Creed Origins".

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
If you want to infiltrate a base without ever tagging an enemy you can do that. So not sure what the issue with having the option to scout is.

How?
The game wants you to scout. It's a weak mechanic for people who are weak with stealth, that's also (like someone else already said), just ripped from another Ubi game and fit on AC.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I thought it was okay, more fluid than Witcher 3 atleast. But then i played God of War andcooh boi that is a whole other tier

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He controls like a tanky bird, which is weird as hell. It shouldn't be as hard to turn or dive a bird as it is to control a plane in GTA V.
How early are you in the game?

The game wants you to scout. It's a weak mechanic for people who are weak with stealth, that's also (like someone else already said), just ripped from another Ubi game and fit on AC.
Scouting isn't a weak mechanic, in the context of AC and stealth gameplay scouting is a perfectly fine mechanic. Planning then executing is a huge part of stealth.

OP
OP
Yasuke

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How early are you in the game?

Scouting isn't a weak mechanic, in the context of AC and stealth gameplay scouting is a perfectly fine mechanic. Planning then executing is a huge part of stealth.

About 10 hours.

I don't think there's anything wrong with scouting. I think the bird controls like shit, and I doubt that changes later in the game.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Night and day for me with Origins destroying Witcher 3, hell Witcher 2 after the dark mode patch was better than 3 imo.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
About 10 hours.

I don't think there's anything wrong with scouting. I think the bird controls like shit, and I doubt that changes later in the game.
The bird's controls being bad are definitely not a common sentiment. First thing's first you can manually fly faster.

Scouting yourself isn't a weak mechanic. Having an omnipotent bird fly overhead of the scene and scout for you is.
Not really. It's consistent with the verticality aspect of the franchise's core gameplay sandbox. The verticality of the player vs the guards is one of the strongest aspects of AC's power fantasy.

Last edited:

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The bird's controls being bad are definitely not a common sentiment. First thing's first you can manually fly faster.

Not really. It's consistent with the verticality aspect of the franchise's core gameplay sandbox. The verticality of the player vs the guards is one of the strongest aspects of AC's power fantasy.
It changes the player vs the guards to the player (and his eagle who can solve your stealth problems) vs guards (who might be too overleveled for you)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It changes the player vs the guards to the player (and his eagle who can solve your stealth problems) vs guards (who might be too overleveled for you)
In the context of the game and the way it's various fortresses/camps are designed, it makes perfect sense as a mechanic. the world of AC:O isn't designed like a series of interconnected levels, i's designed in a way to make it feel organic, are designed more realistically than the usual video game level. They're walled off, visibility from the outside is low, in terms of how much visual information the player is given outside of the base there's very little especially not enough to create a full proof plan of entry. This is a open world game and you can tackle any base in any direction examples, note these views are only possible via Senu and/or photo mode:
latest

latest

latest

There would be a ton of frustration especially due to the more systemic elements if the player wasn't able to get solid information on at least a good chunk of the guards from a distance, enemies sleep, use the bathroom, eat, work, etc. this is all valuable information to the player and crucial to the planning stage of any infiltration. Senu circumvents not only that frustration but also encourages the level designers to pursue the usual naturalism of AC. In Assassin's Creed, because of who you are, stealth shouldn't be a struggle. Stealth should and does feel smooth because of your mobility and your toolset. This isn't like Hitman where you getting caught essentially means death. You aren't really making any valid points as to how it hurts the mission statement and design of the game itself.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, I think you should count how many people think like you before stating it like the truth in the title and THEN asking the question in the first post

OP
OP
Yasuke

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I know I can fly faster. Speed ain't the problem. The bird is horrible to control. That's it. I don't need pointers here lol

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That is to say, janky as all hell.

I'm loving the world/environment, the characters, and the story so far, but I'm really hating actually having to engage in combat. I imagine this is how a lot of people felt playing Witcher 3, a game whose combat system I personally enjoyed.

Am I alone in not liking Origins' combat system?

Witcher 3 combat plays how people say it plays, that is, janky as all hell. Origins must follow suit I suppose.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
While I agree with this, I would define AC:O's combat as slightly janky. The Witcher 3's? Not at all, it is slow and kinda "tanky" because Geralt is old and slow, but is not janky at all
Geralt is old but he's not supposed to be slow, he's as the game says "a whirlwind of steel." Even Letho, a man who looks like this:
5912483-5168730898-59124.jpg

is described as incredibly fast

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
The problem with TW3's combat is that it doesn't feel good to play, no matter how much depth you tack on, it still feels really bad. ACO doesn't have the same problem, while it's not as deep or fun as games like Dark Souls or Nioh, the game still responds to your inputs, instead of the game choosing an attack from an RNG pool.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I know I can fly faster. Speed ain't the problem. The bird is horrible to control. That's it. I don't need pointers here lol

The bird is fine. I certainly have my issues with the game in several places but it would never once occur to me to complain about the bird. I have no idea what you're even talking about here.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
In the context of the game and the way it's various fortresses/camps are designed, it makes perfect sense as a mechanic. the world of AC:O isn't designed like a series of interconnected levels, i's designed in a way to make it feel organic, are designed more realistically than the usual video game level. They're walled off, visibility from the outside is low, in terms of how much visual information the player is given outside of the base there's very little especially not enough to create a full proof plan of entry. This is a open world game and you can tackle any base in any direction examples, note these views are only possible via Senu and/or photo mode:
latest

latest

latest

There would be a ton of frustration especially due to the more systemic elements if the player wasn't able to get solid information on at least a good chunk of the guards from a distance, enemies sleep, use the bathroom, eat, work, etc. this is all valuable information to the player and crucial to the planning stage of any infiltration. Senu circumvents not only that frustration but also encourages the level designers to pursue the usual naturalism of AC. In Assassin's Creed, because of who you are, stealth shouldn't be a struggle. Stealth should and does feel smooth because of your mobility and your toolset. This isn't like Hitman where you getting caught essentially means death. You aren't really making any valid points as to how it hurts the mission statement and design of the game itself.

Post AC1, none of the games feel like a series of interconnected levels, so I don't really get where you're coming from with that. There are also walled off stealth centered sections in the older games too, but I didn't need a fuckin eagle to point out my targets and make the places infinitely easier to get through because I know where everyone is. Sure, you don't need to use the dumb fuckin bird in Origins, but they won't let you live a single solitary fucking second without badgering you about calling for him so he can do drone duty.

Also, why do you need a fool proof plan of entry? Some of the best stealth games in existence don't even give you a full map to work with until you start actually moving through the areas or are lucky enough to pick one up somewhere. Those STILL don't let you know where are all the guards are, because that's the point. You aren't playing an all knowing god, you're supposed to be playing a normal dude who decides to do something for what they believe to be the greater good (or generally just good for themselves). I do not care what views of the ugly outposts in Origins the eagle can give me, I do not want them on a train, I do not want them on a plane. I don't want the eagle at all, and I especially don't want it forced down my throat if you're going to include it regardless.

It's not my fault they built a sub-par 'stealth' game where people feel they have to use that dumb eagle to do anything worthwhile. There is nothing natural about turning into an eagle who can psionically communicate enemy positions to you in real time. The mission statement of this game was more or less to turn this into somewhat of an RPG experience, and they couldn't even do that without making it jank. Instead of focusing on any one thing, you got a game that tried to do 20 things and did none of them exceptionally well.

Also, in AC stealth does tend to be a struggle, because being a sneak is fucking hard, as it should be. You're right though, this isn't like Hitman. Hitman is a franchise that lost itself momentarily and came back with a vengeance. Call me when that happens for AC, it sure as shit ain't happening while Ashraf Ismail is revered as the savior of Assassin's Creed.

Alethiometer

alt account
Banned
May 29, 2018
Playing through AC:O right now and I really prefer W3's combat, even if it's not as polished visually. Origins's combat is shallow as a puddle, the difficulty and enemy variety is just not there, melee combat becomes r1 spamming as soon as you get at least some health, and the bow is OP as hell.

Kylo Rey

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I like AC:O combat and the more you advance in the game the more pattern IA have.
I was surprised at the difficulty in my first boss battle in the arena !

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
They're walled off, visibility from the outside is low, in terms of how much visual information the player is given outside of the base there's very little especially not enough to create a full proof plan of entry. This is a open world game and you can tackle any base in any direction examples, note these views are only possible via Senu and/or photo mode:
latest

latest

latest
It's a shame the series doesn't have some kind of climbing mechanic which would allow you to peek over the walls by climbing all the cliffs, trees and towers that surround them.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? I started playing Origins a few days ago and I've been thinking the controls and combat are sooo much better than Witcher 3. If Witcher 3 had been on this level, it really would have been GOTY. Maybe even GOTG.

Origins is still a bit janky and it definitely took me a while to get used to after God of War and Dark Souls Remastered, but it's still miles ahead of Witcher 3.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 its my personal goat, but that combat gameplay drive me nuts. Really hope for AC:O don't follow the same path.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dropped it after having to hunt animals for a main quest near the start. It was not fun, time wasting, and took me right out of the game. So I quit.

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017

This gif shows exactly what's wrong with this game's combat (and Odyssey's as well from what we've seen).

Look at the first hit that the big dude takes. The feedback animations - both for the enemy and Bayek - are just so poor (and if it was a video we'd hear that the sound is just as weak).

OP
OP
Yasuke

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with TW3's combat is that it doesn't feel good to play, no matter how much depth you tack on, it still feels really bad. ACO doesn't have the same problem, while it's not as deep or fun as games like Dark Souls or Nioh, the game still responds to your inputs, instead of the game choosing an attack from an RNG pool.

See, I have the exact opposite experience, which is why I titled the thread what it is.

Witcher 3 feels amazing to me, to say nothing of its superior depth as well. ACO doesn't respond very well to my inputs and is incredibly shallow to boot.

The bird is fine. I certainly have my issues with the game in several places but it would never once occur to me to complain about the bird. I have no idea what you're even talking about here.

The bird ain't fine to me.

No idea how controlling a bird feels like controlling a cargo plane, but that's where I'm at with it.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The sword combat in both games is bad but the movement and controls in AC are way better than W3.

Pilgore

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Assassin's Creed games pre-Origins were Stealth-Action games. Combat wasn't particularity hard, but it was fun, satisfying and straightforward. The moment AC jumped into the RPG basket, with loot, Souls-esq combat and MMO/Skyrim style sidequests it lost me.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The Witcher 3 is no Souls, when it comes to controls and combat but it still baffles me how people say it's really bad.

I could understand if people were stuck with the original control scheme but the alternative controls are decent enough, it's far from bad. Also no way I would have put 100+ hours into the game and it's DLC if it controlled like shite. Playing on PC at 60fps helps too, as it's more responsive than at 30fps on console.

Both AC and The Witcher 3 have some clunckiness to them when it comes to movement and combat but they are still a long way off being straight up bad.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Post AC1, none of the games feel like a series of interconnected levels, so I don't really get where you're coming from with that. There are also walled off stealth centered sections in the older games too, but I didn't need a fuckin eagle to point out my targets and make the places infinitely easier to get through because I know where everyone is. Sure, you don't need to use the dumb fuckin bird in Origins, but they won't let you live a single solitary fucking second without badgering you about calling for him so he can do drone duty.
In every AC game up to Unity there were very clearly areas designed to be levels. The mission centered areas were a lot more obvious especially as the series was very linear.

Also, why do you need a fool proof plan of entry?
Because this is Assassin's creed. Fool proof doesn't mean 100% chance of success, as there are variables that the player can't account for, like patrolling guards who visit bases. It's satisfying to have as much information as possible.

Those STILL don't let you know where are all the guards are, because that's the point. You aren't playing an all knowing god, you're supposed to be playing a normal dude who decides to do something for what they believe to be the greater good (or generally just good for themselves).
You're playing the wrong series if you're expecting to play as an average joe in an assassin's creed game.

I do not care what views of the outposts in Origins the eagle can give me, I do not want them on a train, I do not want them on a plane. I don't want the eagle at all, and I especially don't want it forced down my throat if you're going to include it regardless.
Literally the only time the game requires you to use the eagle is to locate a target, everything else besides that is solely up to you.

It's not my fault they built a sub-par 'stealth' game where people feel they have to use that dumb eagle to do anything worthwhile. There is nothing natural about turning into an eagle who can psionically communicate enemy positions to you in real time.
There's nothing natural about parkouring your way through Ancient Egypt while fully equipped with weapons and armor. You're not arguing that it's sub[par, only that YOU don't like their design choices, when they absolutely benefit and make sense for the game.

Also, in AC stealth does tend to be a struggle, because being a sneak is fucking hard, as it should be.
No it's not, your mobility through areas and toolset give your a huge edge during stealth segments, stealth in AC is not a struggle. It's never a struggle to navigate, or use ranged tools, or even take out enemies up close, it's smooth, because the character has done this before. What does tend to be a struggle if you aren't invested in combat specifically is dealing with an entire base raining arrows and overwhelming you. THAT'S more of a struggle.

Word of advice btw, try to be less vitriolic, a stealth game not being designed the way you want does not in anyway shape or form warrant the hostility in your posts. Ashraf Ismail didn't kick your dog.

It's a shame the series doesn't have some kind of climbing mechanic which would allow you to peek over the walls by climbing all the cliffs, trees and towers that surround them.
Being knee-deep in enemy territory by the time you're able to scout doesn't make for a compelling plan--->execute experience.

Looks like an early access game to be honest.
We gamefaqs now.

Last edited:

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
People really need to stop using the word jank for TW3 and ACO, you've got no idea what real jank is. These games are not janky.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
"I only play AAA games and this huge open world game with a ton of varied geometry and variables does not always have pitch perfect animation playback. JANNKKKKYYYYYY"
-Gamers™

Pretty much by their definitely RDR is janky, GTA4 is super janky, MGSV? janky because I can't climb that slight incline. Enemies hit through walls? Yup, Souls is janky as fuck.

Here's some real jank.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
In every AC game up to Unity there were very clearly areas designed to be levels. The mission centered areas were a lot more obvious especially as the series was very linear.

So there's none of that in Origins? None of the giant forts where missions take place later, or the hidden first civ bullshit underground/in pyramids were meant to be levels? Origins has the same design, just because it got more vertical doesn't mean it's not the same exact shit lmfao. It's the same type of design as before except now you have a drone, don't fool yourself.

Because this is Assassin's creed. Fool proof doesn't mean 100% chance of success, as there are variables that the player can't account for, like patrolling guards who visit bases. It's satisfying to have as much information as possible.

What kind of weak shit is that? It's infinitely more satisfying to go into an unknown situation, adapt, and make it out without alerting anyone. Not just a surprise variable or two, the entire thing being unknown until you actually get in and do it yourself. You are the type of person they were making this level of stealth for, someone who doesn't want to try too hard when it comes to stealth.

You're playing the wrong series if you're expecting to play as an average joe in an assassin's creed game.

I was playing the right series until the AC4 team came along, and even they managed to do minor things right the first time.

Literally the only time the game requires you to use the eagle is to locate a target, everything else besides that is solely up to you.

That's the key word, isn't it? 'requires'. They don't require you to use it but they sure will remind you of its fucking existence every 5 seconds because they want you to use it. This wouldn't be an issue if they would leave me the fuck alone about the dumb eagle, but they don't.

There's nothing natural about parkouring your way through Ancient Egypt while fully equipped with weapons and armor. You're not arguing that it's sub[par, only that YOU don't like their design choices, when they absolutely benefit and make sense for the game.

I didn't start with this naturalism in Assassin's Creed, you did, dude. I'm definitely arguing that it's sub-par, it's catering to people who want sub-par stealth mechanics in what is or now importantly what was a stealth series to a degree. I don't like their design choices because they're half baked. You defend their design choices because you feel they're serviceable. I'm not looking for serviceable, I'm looking for good.

No it's not, your mobility through areas and toolset give your a huge edge during stealth segments, stealth in AC is not a struggle. It's never a struggle to navigate, or use ranged tools, or even take out enemies up close, it's smooth, because the character has done this before. What does tend to be a struggle if you aren't invested in combat specifically is dealing with an entire base raining arrows and overwhelming you. THAT'S more of a struggle.

Ah yes, that character that has done this before, Ezio Auditore in AC2. You had to learn new shit throughout that game because he hadn't done this before. Also are you honestly pretending that combat in Origins is hard in any way imaginable? The only way anyone would ever call that mess of a combat system hard is if they were severely under-leveled and tried to go out of their zone. I'm not invested in Origins combat at all, there's no struggle involved. If you're going to insult the better games, do a better job than that.

Word of advice btw, try to be less vitriolic, a stealth game not being designed the way you want does not in anyway shape or form warrant the hostility in your posts. Ashraf Ismail didn't kick your dog.

That's enough out of you. This game was poorly designed in everything outside of the actual design of the world, have fun with Odyssey, I'm sure they're glad to take your money for another mess of a game they slapped the AC title on.