Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I have to admit that The Royal Tenenbaums never quite gelled with me. I think I preferred other Wes Anderson movies I watched over it. Didn't move me at all.

Also, while not outright hatred or even dislike, I guess I don't "get" Lady Bird. I also didn't get moved by it even an inch BUT I guess I'm not the target audience for it - by that I mean a lot of women my age really resonated with it and I guess it was more of a "this is what it was to be a nondescript teenage girl, finally someone gets it" feeling for them? Something like that. I thought it was a decent, well acted but nothing particularly special movie.

I wasn't really a fan of Gangs of New York either but I was a teenager when I watched it and I haven't had the desire to revisit it anyway. It was like nothing in the story (or the leads' performance except DDL, obviously) spoke to me about anything.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I don't particularly care for most of the Coen brothers' films that I've seen. In particular No Country for Old Men, people go nuts for that movie, but I didn't really like it at all.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Beating the deadest horse there has ever been but I absolutely hated everything Woody Allen has ever touched before it was cool.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
I tried, I really did, but I just could not get into There Will Be Blood. Just seemed plodding and grim and overwrought. Which is weird because No Country For Old Men is one of my all-time favorites.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've seen plenty of scenes from The Princess Bride but never found any of it particularly funny. I remember reading about how the Miracle Max bit was SO hilarious that a crew member literally bruised a rib laughing, but to me it's just... that's it? Again, weird because I love Airplane, Spaceballs, Monty Python, and other classic comedies of that era.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Incredibles 2 has a 93% on RT so I'm going with that one. It's sad that the sequel to one of my all-time favorite films ended up so disappointing. I still can't believe that they thought that was a clever twist villain.

Easily the worst Pixar film (Yes, I've seen Cars 2 and Toy Story 4).

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
My controversial take is gonna be all of Wes Anderson

Yes - all of it

I used to tell myself I liked Life Aquatic and Fantastic Mr Fox but I couldnt even force myself to sit down and watch them in a single sitting again

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hereditary:
Th movie wasn't that great in my opinion and more than the movie itself, my biggest problem was acting. Almost everyone talk about Toni Collette as one of the best actresses in horror movies of all time, but I didn't like her acting at all. It was so exaggerated and it even made me laugh in some scenes.

Blade Runner:
It's a good movie, but not THAT outstanding for me. I watched it immediately after finishing book and loved book much more than the movie and it was disappointing for me.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Plenty of movies but the one that always sticks out to me is The Usual Suspects. Maybe people care about it less now because of Spacey but it's always been a smug movie that was in your face about how much it was getting one over on you. Saw a review that it was for people who wear tuxedo print shirts to prom and yeah its twist is literally the same haha gotcha response those engender.

Oct 28, 2017
California
The Shining, Blade Runner, and Dunkirk I found them to be boring as shit.

Everyone talks about how The Shining and Dunkirk both masterfully build up tension, but they're so boring and plodding the tension dissipates.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I did not care much for Django Unchained. Just something uncomfortably 'a white guy made this' about it, even before you factor in Tarantino's weird cringeworthy IRL cultural appropriation lol. Also just plain too long. I liked it more than Hateful Eight but that one I feel had a more mixed reception to begin with.
I didn't love Django either, didn't hate it, but it felt different. Unfortunately, I think it's because his editor Sally Menke died tragically. She did every one of his movies before Django.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The more I reflect on it, probably The Shape of Water, can't really get into Wes Anderson, Malick, and the Before trilogy.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
I didn't love Django either, didn't hate it, but it felt different. Unfortunately, I think it's because his editor Sally Menke died tragically. She did every one of his movies before Django.
People so often underrate editors and their importance/contributions. Reminds me of that great quote from Thelma Schoonmaker when someone asked her how a 'nice lady' could work on such violent movies: "...they aren't violent until I've edited them!'

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
The Matrix. I don't hate it but I had read enough science fiction novels and seen enough martial arts movies with impressive wirework when I watched it that I wasn't blown away by the plot or by the action. It was okay to me, but a lot of people I know view it as one of their favorite movies.

I do think it's a lot better than the sequels though, which I find mostly bad with some bright spots sprinkled throughout.

Last edited:

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I tried to watch Uncut Gems recently and found it a deeply unpleasant experience. Just an overwhelming wave of unceasing noise, crosstalk, yelling. I get that the directors have kind of a thing for making media that is actively hard to watch, but this just wasn't something I could get into.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
The Matrix movies. I'm not entirely sure why, but they just didn't do it for me.

Also Uncut Gems. Did not like it at all. Best part was the ending
when Adam Sandler's character got shot and killed so he'd finally shut up.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk, Tenet (not sure if this one is actually acclaimed or not).

I don't vibe AT ALL with most Nolan stuff (haven't seen Oppenheimer, and not really keen on the idea due to that).

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I detest the work of Terrence Malik and felt embarrassment while watching Tree of Life in the theater. Got roped in by some friends when I should have said no.

At the other end of the spectrum: Avatar. I just wandered off after an hour.

Oh, and Lars von Trier generally. Breaking the Waves is a miserable movie in all senses. I've never seen a movie try so hard to mean something, you could see the sweat on its brow

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
American hustle.

Also, lady bird was just ok.

Found both to be kind of boring.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
A fuckton. Most of what Nicolas Roeg directed:

- Performance (1970): 1/10
- Don't Look Now (1973): 1/10
- The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976): 2/10

Then just random other stuff:

- The Thin Blue Line (1988)
- Paterson (2016)
- The Lobster (2015)
- Enter the Void (2009)
- Black Coal, Thin Ice (2014)
- Daisies (1966)
- Prisoners (2013)
- Synecdoche, New York (2008)
- Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985)
- The Babadook (2014)
- Barton Fink (1991)
- The Lego Movie (2014)
- Holy Motors (2012)
- The Ipcress File (1965)
- Big Hero 6 (2014)
- Timecrimes (2007)
- Happy-Go-Lucky (2008)
- Paprika (2006)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
- Dunkirk (2017)
- Interstellar (2014)
- Everything Makoto Shinkai has directed outside of The Garden of Words and his Falcom OPs

Blah blah blah etc. Not liking something is not a big deal. I love a lot of the things the people on that previous list have made outside of those.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
The Deer Hunter is way too long, and indirectly led to the downfall of cinema
Hollywood was going to find a way to crack down and pass full control to the money-men eventually, they were looking for a cause. Heaven's Gate is a scapegoat - and not to mention I think it's just plain wrong to keep harping on it and pointing to it and Cimino as the 'downfall' of Hollywood/cinema. Cimino was suicidal in part thanks to how much hate was flung over HG, all the blame assigned, and that's even before you get into all the mockery and derision that followed being outed as a closet trans person.

Just feels immensely shitty to me to continue to blame a systemic shift that corporations were looking for any excuse to make on one person, especially blaming it on a filmmaker who in the fallout of all of it struggled with suicidal thoughts and discrimination/mockery over their gender identity.

People often forget too - Heaven's Gate didn't even bankrupt shit. All its losses were made up for by a single Bond movie. Transamerica was intent on selling UA one way or the other. Studios too were going to find any excuse to reign in control, whether it be Heaven's Gate or One From the Heart or any number of other movies used as their excuse.

Last edited:

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Drive and Valhalla Rising by Winding Refn.
The Deer Hunter
Almost every flavor of the week horror movie coming out recently
I haven't seen it since it came out, but I remember something about the script getting messed up trying to please Will Smith, and that these changes were kept even after he was out. I'd like to read the original script if it exists.
It's not a masterpiece, but it's better than Death Proof.

Hollywood was going to find a way to crack down and pass full control to the money-men eventually, they were looking for a cause. Heaven's Gate is a scapegoat - and not to mention I think it's just plain wrong to keep harping on it and pointing to it and Cimino as the 'downfall' of Hollywood/cinema. Cimino was suicidal in part thanks to how much hate was flung over HG, all the blame assigned, and that's even before you get into all the mockery and derision that followed being outed as a closet trans person.

Just feels immensely shitty to me to continue to blame a systemic shift that corporations were looking for any excuse to make on one person, especially blaming it on a filmmaker who in the fallout of all of it struggled with suicidal thoughts and discrimination/mockery over their gender identity.

People often forget too - Heaven's Gate didn't even bankrupt shit. All its losses were made up for by a single Bond movie. Transamerica was intent on selling UA one way or the other. Studios too were going to find any excuse to reign in control, whether it be Heaven's Gate or One From the Heart or any number of other movies used as their excuse.
I don't think there were looking for "excuses", they just cared about what made money.
And besides, the new generation of auteurs like Lucas and Spielberg just wanted to make expensive, crowd-pleasing blockbusters. I'm all for blaming corporations, but I think in this case it was more of a natural evolution than a forced change, something you can see in most media (and even in society itself according to people who were there) from around that time.

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
I don't think there were looking for "excuses", they just cared about what made money.
And besides, the new generation of auteurs like Lucas and Spielberg just wanted to make expensive, crowd-pleasing blockbusters. I'm all for blaming corporations, but I think in this case it was more of a natural evolution than a forced change, something you can see in most media (and even in society itself according to people who were there) from around that time.
I do get what you mean, and there absolutely was a shift in what kind of movies were popular as well as the rise of blockbusters. I just think it's also simultaneously true that studios looked to Heaven's Gate as justification to tighten the reigns and give filmmakers less control / final say, which of course like all things is in service of the pursuit of ever-more money. Folks who worked on the movie described as much, how as soon as the first reviews hit various hollywood executives were already pouncing with the blood in the water and decrying the film as proof control needed to be taken away from the directors. A peeved Kristofferson even confronted one of them about it later on at Cannes.

So in that sense, yes, I do think they were looking for an excuse. Pointing to films like HG was absolutely them seizing on whatever justification they could find to enact changes and claw back control they wanted to have for a while at that point, but just hadn't gotten a good enough excuse to do so without controversy.

Either way, I think we can likely agree that blaming the downfall of the new Hollywood era on Cimino is unfair and inaccurate in any case. It would have happened with or without Heaven's Gate. I don't think the style of movies would have stayed the same and I don't think that filmmakers would have kept that old level of control if HG had somehow been a huge success. Audiences still would have changed tastes - had changed tastes - and studios would still have found reason to tighten their grip. I would also like to clarify I was talking solely about the studio control aspect in my post, I think the popular style of movies changing is a whole other matter and certainly not somehow caused by the corporations themselves. It's also another reason I don't think it's fair to blame HG - an artsy-fartsy 3.5 hour movie that's aggressively critical of America and capitalism was always going to be a huge bomb in 1980 when the US had just elected Reagan and was about to double dip on Star Wars and reaffirm their taste for crowd-pleasing spectacle, and so it failing is imo nobody's fault in particular.

Last edited: