• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who would you be least angry about buying WB Games?

• Microsoft

Votes: 1,992 67.0%
  • Activision

Votes: 149 5.0%
  • EA

Votes: 137 4.6%
  • Take-two

Votes: 693 23.3%

• Total voters

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't see how this makes any sense for MS.

Well, Phil hinted his vision back in 2018, XGP model needs substantial support:

And MS have gone on to say that there's potentially 2 billion gamers which they want to reach. They're partnering with 5G providers in Asia, TV manufactures worldwide, social media giants in an effort to massively increase their reach. They need more then15-18 studios for that, and for GP to be a thriving userbase with millions of users who continue to pay a fee, they need more creators. With the wider goal to sell their tech stack to business as its been test driven and proven with Xbox. So there's multiple reasons.

Last edited:

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is okay since they're a PC pub, lots of PS gamers are fine with not owning a Xbox because the games are on PC, and they'll get that with MS buying WB. So, MS gets my vote.

what we are witnessing is most ps players actually don't have a capable PC to play next gen Xbox games. Hence the MS complaints in this thread. It's all lip service.

if you have a capable gaming pc then this works in your favor maybe even more so than Xbox owners

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
Watch the videos and article he posted first

I did, and any other multiplaform publisher who bought them could have given the financial support they wanted.

Remember Obsidian had to go and do Kickstarter only because Microsoft canceled their previous project, and they had a lot of success after that with Pillars of eternity and Tyranny.

Again, what i'm seeing here is more developers who wanted real Creative Freedom and not only financial support for their future endeavors. That's the reason they choose Microsoft.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This is a big thread, lol.
Searched for "Hoeg" in it, no results... so Imma post this vid

Found this posted on SIFTD.

I would've never thought of the ( Stalking Horse Offer type thing ) thing that he brings up. I've never even heard of that term before.

Interesting watch, though.

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.
That was my take too, lol.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
What IP would you actually get buying the studios though?
Quick glance at wikipedia and some googling gives us these notables:

• 720°
  • Arch Rivals
  • Area 51
  • Asheron's Call
  • Blood
  • Condemned
  • Defender
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Game Party
  • Gauntlet
  • Hard Drivin'
  • Joust
  • Klax
  • Marble Madness
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Narc
  • [NFL] Blitz
  • Paperboy
  • Pit Fighter
  • Primal Rage
  • Psi-Ops
  • Rampage
  • Rampart
  • Ready 2 Rumble
  • Roadblasters
  • Robotron
  • Rush
  • Scribblenauts
  • Sinistar
  • Smash TV
  • Spy Hunter
  • The Suffering
  • Super Sprint
  • This is Vegas
  • Toobin'
  • Touchmaster
  • War Gods
  • Wheelman
  • Xybots

Basically a ton of old Atari/Midway classics plus the stuff picked up when they bought Turbine and Monolith. And, uh, Scribblenauts.

I actually think the retro arcade lineup could be pretty interesting for Microsoft, who are at a disadvantage somewhat in that area vs Nintendo or even Sony. Microsoft coincidentally owns Hydro Thunder too, one of the few Midway IPs WB didn't scoop up.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Already confirmed last year:

venturebeat.com

Project xCloud streaming tech is coming to Xbox Game Pass in 2020

Your Xbox game library and Xbox Game Pass subscription are getting the Project xCloud streaming technology next year after the current test ends.

What's not clear is if they'll charge extra for bundling in xCloud streaming to a Game Pass sub. I'm just guessing, but I can imagine it being part of the Ultimate bundle that's currently $14.99.

Wow that's great. Yea it's definitely going to be part of Ultimate. Can't imagine they'll charge extra for that tier.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
So there's multiple reasons.
i understand why they are picking up studios but i see no reason why they would pick up this publisher and those devs. they have a lot of stuff MS has no use for and the only IP worth a damn is MK. The rest would need to be licensed and paid forever and even a couple of those licenses like LOTR and HP aren't fully owned by WB anyway.

i could see them going after NRS and MK if they can get it solo but other than that?

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm getting from this discussion is that a decent number of people would prefer that these developers and their IPs be eviscerated by big monolithic publishers if it means Microsoft doesn't get exclusivity...because that's sure as shit what's going to happen if Take Two, EA, or Activision get their paws on them. Hell, WB Games isn't even immune to criticism on this front. Under current Xbox, they would more than likely be Avalanche games, Rocksteady games, Traveller's Tales games, Monolith games, but if not? EA games, Activision games, Take Two games. You do not want this. You might think you want this for whatever weird "inside thought only" kind of reason, but you do not. Related: there's a distinct whiff of "I want to play these games but want to never ever be forced to give money to Microsoft in order to play them." Am I the only one getting that from a lot of these comments? Like needing to buy a PlayStation for some games is just how things are, it's PlayStation haha if you wanna play this cool game guess you gotta go buy a PlayStation sport, but needing to buy an Xbox? Out of the question. Like, are you interested in the games, or the specific platform holder? Do they not sell Xboxes in your village? Is your money not formatted for Xbox purchasing? Microsoft is part of the gaming landscape and some of you are gonna need to make peace with it. You can't just shun them until they realize they're not wanted and sadly shuffle off to go sell hawk Office 365 subs or whatever.

That aside, Microsoft is pretty much objectively the only one of the four that would be good for these developers, and yet I still find myself surprised that it managed to pull as much as 70% of the vote from this community. These publishers are as bad as, and arguably even worse than 2013 Microsoft, and people would prefer WB Games go to them rather than a 2020 Microsoft that would let you play the games on PC, or with a DualShock 5 like you want and on any screen that can support xCloud? It's Mind-boggling to me. Consolidation of the industry is bad, I get that, but not every game gets to be on every platform; PlayStation will never be your one stop shop for everything while there's strong competition in the market and there's nothing wrong with that. It would be nice if there were no exclusives but that's just not the reality at the moment, and isn't wanting all games to be on one platform and not the other basically consolidation anyway? I get that not everyone can own more than one console for a number of reasons (financial, limited free time, etc.), but wanting all games to be available on a single console is silly given the way console gaming has always worked. Historically, if you wanted the full gaming experience, you needed to have all consoles, and that's not really changing outside of Microsoft's new ecosystem-focused strategy of putting games on PC. So between the four available options, Microsoft is such a vastly superior choice that I'm not even sure why there's a poll, because with the other three, sure, you might still get those games on PlayStation, but given those companies' histories, they might not emerge as games any of us are interested in paying money to play.

side note: stop this Netherrealm/KI talk. Stop it stop it stop it. EW. Double Helix and Iron Galaxy shit all over MK last gen. From sound work to animations to actual combat...Hell, KI dropped trou on SFV from upper Earth orbit in nearly every way, which would've sounded impossible back in the halcyon days of 2011 (especially to me, who always viewed KI alongside other janky 90s fighting games jokes), but here we are. I submit that there's only ONE studio Microsoft should've bought this gen and didn't--and it was Double Helix.

This whole discussion is just dumb goalpost-moving.

Boy howdy were you ever right about that one

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

• 720°
  • Arch Rivals
  • Area 51
  • Asheron's Call
  • Blood
  • Condemned
  • Defender
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Game Party
  • Gauntlet
  • Hard Drivin'
  • Joust
  • Klax
  • Marble Madness
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Narc
  • [NFL] Blitz
  • Paperboy
  • Pit Fighter
  • Primal Rage
  • Psi-Ops
  • Rampage
  • Rampart
  • Ready 2 Rumble
  • Roadblasters
  • Robotron
  • Rush
  • Scribblenauts
  • Sinistar
  • Smash TV
  • Spy Hunter
  • The Suffering
  • Super Sprint
  • This is Vegas
  • Toobin'
  • Touchmaster
  • War Gods
  • Wheelman
  • Xybots

Basically a ton of old Atari/Midway classics plus the stuff picked up when they bought Turbine and Monolith. And, uh, Scribblenauts.

I actually think the retro arcade lineup could be pretty interesting for Microsoft, who are at a disadvantage somewhat in that area vs Nintendo or even Sony. Microsoft coincidentally owns Hydro Thunder too, one of the few Midway IPs WB didn't scoop up.

Thanks. Yeah, some of the midway stuff would be pretty cool - could try to restart a few of those franchises. I guess Mortal Kombat would be the only big IP they'd get that's they wouldn't have to fire back up themselves.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017

• 720°
  • Arch Rivals
  • Area 51
  • Asheron's Call
  • Blood
  • Condemned
  • Defender
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Game Party
  • Gauntlet
  • Hard Drivin'
  • Joust
  • Klax
  • Marble Madness
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Narc
  • [NFL] Blitz
  • Paperboy
  • Pit Fighter
  • Primal Rage
  • Psi-Ops
  • Rampage
  • Rampart
  • Ready 2 Rumble
  • Roadblasters
  • Robotron
  • Rush
  • Scribblenauts
  • Sinistar
  • Smash TV
  • Spy Hunter
  • The Suffering
  • Super Sprint
  • This is Vegas
  • Toobin'
  • Touchmaster
  • War Gods
  • Wheelman
  • Xybots

excluding Mortal Kombat i would pay about $20 for those IPs.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
If you think "Financial Security" is the only reason they sell, you're wrong.
The founders and people who possess equity in the Studios are selling to make money don't be naive.
"Financial Security" can be provided by any Publisher on the market.
Many publishers being able to provide financial stability doesn't mean these publishers are interested in buying a studio.
They've probably shut down or made huge reductions at more studios than you think.
  • Bizarre Creations. Shut down.
  • Budcat Creations. Shut down.
  • Infocom. Shut down.
  • Sierra. Shut down.
  • Luxoflux. Shut down.
  • Z-axis. Shut down.
  • RedOctane. Shut down.
  • Shaba Games. Shut down.
  • Radical. Shut down.
  • FreeStyle Games. Made huge reductions. Later acquired by Ubisoft.
  • Neversoft. Made huge reductions. Later merged, effectively shut down though.

And loads of their studios just end becoming COD manufacturing plants or merged with them:
  • Infinity Ward
  • Treyarch
  • Sledgehammer
  • Neversoft
  • Gray Matter
  • Beenox
  • Raven Software
Merging studios and just becoming COD support isn't a good fate. People inevitably get made redundant during merges. And most employees probably don't want to move to another location. That talent will go somewhere else.

Also numerous studios that have worked with or been acquired by Activision have complained about their meddling and management. The heads and founders of Bizarre Creations and FreeStyle Games both complained about Activision. And Bungie's tumultuous relationship with them is widely documented.
Everyone wondering why people prefer MS over Activision should read your post.
That's only what people like you seem to take from the situation, but there is no real report of any of those studios being in danger of closing because of money issues. Doing Kickstater doesn't mean your financial situation is bad. It means you want to reduce risks but otherwise it's a great way to finance your games.

The thing people keep forgetting is that what they surely wanted is more CREATIVE FREEDOM than purely "maintaining their general financial situation".
A thing they could easily do before Microsoft came.
The struggles are well-documented and some main inIxile guys were really happy about not needing to fly around the world to pitch their games to publishers, as they now can focus in the games instead of business.
"Doing Kickstarter does not mean your financial situation is bad
lmao. I don't think he understands how independent studios will struggle more and more as development costs increases.
In this case any Independent Developer doing Kickstarter or contract work for another publisher is in a poor and unstable financial situation for you?
No, not necessarily. But some of those games the studios made didn't sell well and some studios wanted to do bigger games again. Try getting 80-150 million a AAA current gen games costs via kickstarter.
That's one way of engaging in a discussion.
To be fair, he gave you evidence you choose to complete ignore and then talked about how a dev creating games via Kickstarter doesn't mean they are in financial trouble. That's true, but at the same time some studios not having issues doesn't mean these studios didn't have issues.

Jun 23, 2020
MS, platform exclusive would be a bummer, I feel with all the dlc and mtx they'll stick it too you a little more gently. Also great for game pass.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I did, and any other multiplaform publisher who bought them could have given the financial support they wanted.

Remember Obsidian had to go and do Kickstarter only because Microsoft canceled their previous project, and they had a lot of success after that with Pillars of eternity and Tyranny.

Again, what i'm seeing here is more developers who wanted real Creative Freedom and not only financial support for their future endeavors. That's the reason they choose Microsoft.
Any other multiplatform publisher could have provided them financial support? Really? Which multiplatform publisher tried to buy them? None you say? Well no shit! So your point is moot? Got it.

So you're saying Obsidian had to turn to Kickstarter for financial support? So they were not in a good position? Well it's a good thing Microsoft bought them then, huh?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. Yeah, some of the midway stuff would be pretty cool - could try to restart a few of those franchises. I guess Mortal Kombat would be the only big IP they'd get that's they wouldn't have to fire back up themselves.
Some probably still have enough name cache they could be brought back. I mean stuff like Gauntlet or Rampage were just as big as KI or Battletoads, if not bigger. I feel like a dedicated retro service or line with these original emulated titles could be interesting itself though (shades of Game Room) and maybe a good add for Game Pass.

MK is really the only one currently going strong though yeah. Scribblenauts and Game Party still hung on this gen too but aim a lot more casual than the traditional Xbox demographic.

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
Any other multiplatform publisher could have provided them financial support? Really? Which multiplatform publisher tried to buy them? None you say? Well no shit! So your point is moot? Got it.

Do we know all the ins and outs of those kind of deals? Other bids could have been done by other companies.

So you're saying Obsidian had to turn to Kickstarter for financial support? So they were not in a good position? Well it's a good thing Microsoft bought them then, huh?

www.eurogamer.net

Before Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian nearly met its end

I had no idea things at Obsidian Entertainment had been so bad. I knew things weren't great before the record-breaking …

Certainly it's true that Obsidian nearly died because of that canceled project in collaboration with Microsoft. They had lots of layoffs after that but Pillars of Eternity ultimately saved them not Microsoft.
Not bad for a poor Kickstarter project, huh?

Last edited:

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Jesus there couldn't be any worse third parties than those 3, and no thanks as well on their properties sticking to just one platform and PC.

"Best" option here still doesn't mean good, hope WB remains indepdent (so to speak).

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
That depends on what such a deal would include. Studios? IP? For example, I don't think Warner Bros. is offering the DC license to one company. Maybe for a limited time? This brand alone is worth far too much.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

• 720°
  • Arch Rivals
  • Area 51
  • Asheron's Call
  • Blood
  • Condemned
  • Defender
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Game Party
  • Gauntlet
  • Hard Drivin'
  • Joust
  • Klax
  • Marble Madness
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Narc
  • [NFL] Blitz
  • Paperboy
  • Pit Fighter
  • Primal Rage
  • Psi-Ops
  • Rampage
  • Rampart
  • Ready 2 Rumble
  • Roadblasters
  • Robotron
  • Rush
  • Scribblenauts
  • Sinistar
  • Smash TV
  • Spy Hunter
  • The Suffering
  • Super Sprint
  • This is Vegas
  • Toobin'
  • Touchmaster
  • War Gods
  • Wheelman
  • Xybots

You mean to tell me there is a chance we could get a 4k/60 version of Toobin' with Sea of Thieves water effects?!?! How has this not been done yet!!

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Certainly it's true that Obsidian nearly died because of that canceled project in collaboration with Microsoft. They had lot of layoffs after that but Pillars of Eternity ultimately saved them not Microsoft.
Not bad for a poor Kickstarter project, huh?

Let's see, Pillars of Eternity released in 2015 and what did they release after that.

Uhm, Tyranny and guess what? It didn't sell

www.pcgamesn.com

Why didn’t Tyranny sell? Paradox on Obsidian’s RPG “everyone was hoping would do better”

Obsidian’s Tyranny is destined to be remembered as one of the boldest RPGs of the decade - not that anything so rote as destiny would figure into a world ruled over by an all-powerful but unseen genderless communist. It also felt uniquely timely, releasing as it did right on top of the election of

Let's put Tyranny aside, they started to work on a Free To Play but guess what? They dropped the development

www.pcgamer.com

Obsidian is no longer working on Armored Warfare

Ongoing work on the F2P tank sim will be handled by My.com.

Oh and yes, they made a KS campaign for PoE 2 which did really good, but when the game releases? A big bomba!

www.gamewatcher.com

Pillars of Eternity 2 Has Been a Sales Disaster | GameWatcher

In a shocking turn of events, Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire has apparently had an extremely underwhelming financial turnout.

Now, tell me how do you keep a nearly 200 devs studio running when your only hit was Pillars of Eternity released in the year 2015?
Even The Outer Worlds was not enough since the game was developed by "only 80 devs" at Obsidian while the rest tried to work on other project splitting the studio.

You want a proper discussion, here it is.
The main difference is that i know what i am talking about since i've been following Obsidian for years but you clearly don't.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Sigh, we are talking about thousand people who may be unemployed because any companies which already do publishing would not want to keep Publishing studios or maybe Supports/Mobile studios. And we are in a middle of health crisis and economic crisis, so you should not want people to lost their income and to be put in difficult situation. People are more important than games so it would be better if companies which don't have publishing assets were buying WB instead of MS/EA/T2/Activision.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, we are talking about thousand people who may be unemployed because any companies which already do publishing would not want to keep Publishing studios or maybe Supports/Mobile studios. And we are in a middle of health crisis and economic crisis, so you should not want people to lost their income and to be put in difficult situation. People are more important than games so it would be better if companies which don't have publishing assets were buying WB instead of MS/EA/T2/Activision.

This is happening no matter what. AT&T is actively looking to sell this entire division, people will ultimately lose jobs. At the asking price AT&T is currently at, only publishers would be able to support the purchase. There is no way around that.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm getting from this discussion is that a decent number of people would prefer that these developers and their IPs be eviscerated by big monolithic publishers if it means Microsoft doesn't get exclusivity...because that's sure as shit what's going to happen if Take Two, EA, or Activision get their paws on them. Hell, WB Games isn't even immune to criticism on this front. Under current Xbox, they would more than likely be Avalanche games, Rocksteady games, Traveller's Tales games, Monolith games, but if not? EA games, Activision games, Take Two games. You do not want this. You might think you want this for whatever weird "inside thought only" kind of reason, but you do not. Related: there's a distinct whiff of "I want to play these games but want to never ever be forced to give money to Microsoft in order to play them." Am I the only one getting that from a lot of these comments? Like needing to buy a PlayStation for some games is just how things are, it's PlayStation haha if you wanna play this cool game guess you gotta go buy a PlayStation sport, but needing to buy an Xbox? Out of the question. Like, are you interested in the games, or the specific platform holder? Do they not sell Xboxes in your village? Is your money not formatted for Xbox purchasing? Microsoft is part of the gaming landscape and some of you are gonna need to make peace with it. You can't just shun them until they realize they're not wanted and sadly shuffle off to go sell hawk Office 365 subs or whatever.

That aside, Microsoft is pretty much objectively the only one of the four that would be good for these developers, and yet I still find myself surprised that it managed to pull as much as 70% of the vote from this community. These publishers are as bad as, and arguably even worse than 2013 Microsoft, and people would prefer WB Games go to them rather than a 2020 Microsoft that would let you play the games on PC, or with a DualShock 5 like you want and on any screen that can support xCloud? It's Mind-boggling to me. Consolidation of the industry is bad, I get that, but not every game gets to be on every platform; PlayStation will never be your one stop shop for everything while there's strong competition in the market and there's nothing wrong with that. It would be nice if there were no exclusives but that's just not the reality at the moment, and isn't wanting all games to be on one platform and not the other basically consolidation anyway? I get that not everyone can own more than one console for a number of reasons (budge financial, limited free time, etc.), but wanting all games to be available on a single console is silly given the way console gaming has always worked. Historically, if you wanted the full gaming experience, you needed to have all consoles, and that's not really changing outside of Microsoft's new ecosystem-focused strategy of putting games on PC. So between the four available options, Microsoft is such a vastly superior choice that I'm not even sure why there's a poll, because with the other three, sure, you might still get those games on PlayStation, but given those companies' histories, they might not emerge as games any of us are interested in paying money to play.

side note: stop this Netherrealm/KI talk. Stop it stop it stop it. EW. Double Helix and Iron Galaxy shit all over MK last gen. From sound work to animations to actual combat...Hell, KI dropped trou on SFV from upper Earth orbit in nearly every way, which would've sounded impossible back in the halcyon days of 2011 (especially to me, who always viewed KI alongside other janky 90s fighting games jokes), but here we are. I submit that there's only ONE studio Microsoft should've bought this gen and didn't--and it was Double Helix.

Boy howdy were you ever right about that one
I don't think I've read a post yet in this thread that's so complete in response to unfounded concerns.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It's just an hypothesis but the possibility of this happening is real with a developer like Obsidian.
Right. Just a hypothesis. Nothing based in fact.

And from your prior example, Naughty Dogs, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, and Media Molecule could have been acquired by any other third party so they wouldn't be locked down by Sony. See how stupid that sounds?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Every project obsidian worked on the last 10 years left them in some financial trouble, way back to Fallout New Vegas and the missed MC bonus, Stormlands wasnt the thing that "ruined" them. And Tyranny (where money mostly went to paradoxx) and specially Pillars of Eternity 2 were anything but successes saleswise and they put obsidian on the brink of bankruptcy before microsoft stepped in. The outcomes for Obsidian post PoEII where a) being bought or b) closing down according to several people inside the company including feargus urqhart

You should research a lot more before talking about stuff you have no clue about.

Sia

Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I don't see the studios alone being worth 4 billion on one exclusive platform. Even for multi platform that seems a bit high unless you get 5+ years of all the licenses

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
And from your prior example, Naughty Dogs, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, and Media Molecule could have been acquired by any other third party so they wouldn't be locked down by Sony. See how stupid that sounds?

It doesn't sound stupid at all actually, especially for Insomniac Games, they don't hold any IP of real value ( apart from Sunset Overdrive) because Sony already holds the rights to Ratchet and Clank and Spider-Man games for now. And they bought the studio for an enormous 229 millions dollars.

There is always a possibility that multiple potential buyers could have upped the bid before like Facebook, ect...

Universal Games could have kept Naughty Dogs AND the rights to the Crash IP but they choose to pass on the developer and invested only in the Crash bandicoot Franchise.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It doesn't sound stupid at all actually, especially for Insomniac Games, they don't hold any IP of real value ( apart from Sunset Overdrive) because Sony already holds the rights to Ratchet and Clank and Spider-Man games for now. And they bought the studio for an enormous 229 millions dollars.

There is always a possibility that multiple potential buyers could have upped the bid before like Facebook, ect...

Universal Games could have kept Naughty Dogs AND the rights to the Crash IP but they choose to pass on the developer and invested only in the Crash bandicoot Franchise.
So you're only concerned about the IPs? Don't be. The IPs that come with WB Games will also release on PC. It's a good situation for most gamers.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, but that's not happening and we're dealing with the reality of what's likely to happen. People are going to lose jobs regardless.

plasticdisaster

Alt account
Banned
Jun 27, 2020
i dont think such an expensive purchase would be in the same lines as obsidian , NT etc. Dont think the xbox division has that kind of free cash. Either way, id prefer ,to wait for steam releases if it does go the way of exclusivity.

Sia

Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
i dont think such an expensive purchase would be in the same lines as obsidian , NT etc. Dont think the xbox division has that kind of free cash. Either way, id prefer ,to wait for steam releases if it does go the way of exclusivity.

people think just because Microsoft is worth 1.6 trillion their games division has access to unlimited cash

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This is happening no matter what. AT&T is actively looking to sell this entire division, people will ultimately lose jobs. At the asking price AT&T is currently at, only publishers would be able to support the purchase. There is no way around that.

No there are plenty of companies that could buy them and keep all those people. Matt gave some examples in the other thread.

Some options:
  • A VC firm
  • Google
  • Amazon
  • Apple (unlikely but not impossible)
  • Tencent
  • Another rich Chinese company like Alibaba or ByteDance
  • Another major media company
And like I said, they would almost certainly get some IPs out of this, and exclusive game rights to DC, HP, etc.

And about why it's bad for these company which have already publishing assets to do this move:
Because "publisher jobs" don't scale. The jobs these people do at WB are already occupied by others at MS. Specific jobs use specific skills, you can't just swap people around between positions and geos like Pokémon cards. The same goes for the mobile and F2P devs MS wouldn't have much use for. They can't just do something else at Xbox, not on mass. That is a simple fact.

I know this because I work in tech, I work on acquisitions, I work with the games industry, and with MS. I have done this dance many times, I know how it goes. And even if that wasn't the case, this is really basic M&A stuff. I'm sorry, but you have a very limited understanding of the job roles and businesses involved here.
Publishing has tons of different groups within in. You have marketing, retail, distribution, testing, manufacturing, developer relations, production/project management. All of these roles would not be transferable or become redundant by most companies with established brands. Additionally WB Games uses the a lot of the established retail, manufacturing and distribution pre-built into WarnerMedia, so it isn't like someone is going to be buying that. In the end the "publishing" part of WB holds little to no value as most of the value isn't transferable.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you not think the Xbox division has that kind of free cash when reputable sources are reporting MS is among other companies interested in buying WB's gaming unit.

plasticdisaster

Alt account
Banned
Jun 27, 2020
people think just because Microsoft is worth 1.6 trillion their games division has access to unlimited cash

Microsoft by itself easily has that kind of money but i dont think this is remotely comparable to the xbox divisions' recent acquisition. Id be surprised if this happened but im not too fussed.
Rather they spend this money making games and fostering new/struggling studios though rather than established powerhouses.Coz then it just seems like a business move that benefits no gamer.

How do you not think the Xbox division has that kind of free cash when reputable sources are reporting MS is among other companies interested in buying WB's gaming unit.

Well nothing about their recent acquisitions suggests to me that they do. Really as simple as that. The microsoft who paid for minecraft can buy this in their sleep but their cash richness does not imply exclusivity. Because unlike the other supposed bidders, team xbox is the only one directly invested in selling hardware which would impede them from maximizing software profits. Its a no risk venture for EA , Take 2 , tencent and the likes.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yet this thread is based on reputable sources reporting Microsoft is interested in buying WB's gaming unit. How difficult this must be for you to reconcile this. LOL

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
The outcomes for Obsidian post PoEII where a) being bought or b) closing down according to several people inside the company including feargus urqhart

You should research a lot more before talking about stuff you have no clue about.

I'd like to see you provide the statements of the numerous people inside Obsidian including Feargus Urqhart after PEII and before Microsoft's final acquisition stating that Obsidian are surely "closing down."

www.eurogamer.net

Before Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian nearly met its end

I had no idea things at Obsidian Entertainment had been so bad. I knew things weren't great before the record-breaking …

On the contrary before Pillars of Eternity 1 they had a really rough time when their project with Microsoft got canceled. And Josh Sawyer from Obsidian qualified any project they could sign from publishers after the cancelation as "Life-saving".

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Now, tell me how do you keep a nearly 200 devs studio running when your only hit was Pillars of Eternity released in the year 2015?
Even The Outer Worlds was not enough since the game was developed by "only 80 devs" at Obsidian while the rest tried to work on other project splitting the studio.

You want a proper discussion, here it is.
The main difference is that i know what i am talking about since i've been following Obsidian for years but you clearly don't.
No lies detected.
It's just an hypothesis but the possibility of this happening is real with a developer like Obsidian.
What's the point in talking hypothesis. Maybe Obsidian next Kickstarter project would be more successful than Minecraft? Something anyone could say in a hypothesis, but is it likely?
Every project obsidian worked on the last 10 years left them in some financial trouble, way back to Fallout New Vegas and the missed MC bonus, Stormlands wasnt the thing that "ruined" them. And Tyranny (where money mostly went to paradoxx) and specially Pillars of Eternity 2 were anything but successes saleswise and they put obsidian on the brink of bankruptcy before microsoft stepped in. The outcomes for Obsidian post PoEII where a) being bought or b) closing down according to several people inside the company including feargus urqhart

Nah, most people aren't thinking Xbox has unlimited funds. But they play a bigger role than ever before under Nadella and have it's backing. Then you need to look at the situation and how rare it actually is that a publisher gets sold. If MS sees value in it they can easily do the deal, that's all most people are saying.
No there are plenty of companies that could buy them and keep all those people. @Matt gave so examples in the other thread.
Amazon and Google would probably fire less employees in the short term, but I don't think they are really committed and I worry about the long term. The best would be WB not getting sold at all, but that's already decided and all those publishers rumored to be interested have their publishing teams and will sadly for the WB employees fire them.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
I know a lot of gamers on this forum hate Microsoft, but they are easily the best choice if you want to still have access to these games without all of the BS. Being able to play their games on the cheap through Gamepass, Xcloud, or PC make them the easy win. Also, if the Lockhart is sub 300, then it's a real no brainer. All of the teeth gnashing really makes no sense to me if MS were to buy WB.

Last edited: