• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who would you be least angry about buying WB Games?

• Microsoft

Votes: 1,992 67.0%
  • Activision

Votes: 149 5.0%
  • EA

Votes: 137 4.6%
  • Take-two

Votes: 693 23.3%

• Total voters

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see, Pillars of Eternity released in 2015 and what did they release after that.

Uhm, Tyranny and guess what? It didn't sell

www.pcgamesn.com

Why didn’t Tyranny sell? Paradox on Obsidian’s RPG “everyone was hoping would do better”

Obsidian’s Tyranny is destined to be remembered as one of the boldest RPGs of the decade - not that anything so rote as destiny would figure into a world ruled over by an all-powerful but unseen genderless communist. It also felt uniquely timely, releasing as it did right on top of the election of

Let's put Tyranny aside, they started to work on a Free To Play but guess what? They dropped the development

www.pcgamer.com

Obsidian is no longer working on Armored Warfare

Ongoing work on the F2P tank sim will be handled by My.com.

Oh and yes, they made a KS campaign for PoE 2 which did really good, but when the game releases? A big bomba!

www.gamewatcher.com

Pillars of Eternity 2 Has Been a Sales Disaster | GameWatcher

In a shocking turn of events, Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire has apparently had an extremely underwhelming financial turnout.

Now, tell me how do you keep a nearly 200 devs studio running when your only hit was Pillars of Eternity released in the year 2015?
Even The Outer Worlds was not enough since the game was developed by "only 80 devs" at Obsidian while the rest tried to work on other project splitting the studio.

You want a proper discussion, here it is.
The main difference is that i know what i am talking about since i've been following Obsidian for years but you clearly don't.
[Denzel boom]

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well nothing about their recent acquisitions suggests to me that they do. Really as simple as that. The microsoft who paid for minecraft can buy this in their sleep but their cash richness does not imply exclusivity. Because unlike the other supposed bidders, team xbox is the only one directly invested in selling hardware which would impede them from maximizing software profits. Its a no risk venture for EA , Take 2 , tencent and the likes.
Xbox has a clear plan and direction and have heavily invested in Xbox, PC (Windows Store, Steam), Minecraft as it's own platform, Game Pass on PC and console, and XCloud that all synergizes not only with each other but with MS's core business. Your inability to see how Xbox could maximize their profitability is a failure on your part not a trillion dollar company like MS that knows what they're doing.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Absolutely.
I'd like to see you provide the statements of the numerous people inside Obsidian including Feargus Urqhart after PEII and before Microsoft's final acquisition stating that Obsidian are surely "closing down."
Oh come on now. How much more evidence do you need that the studio suffered. Would've the studio been closed down? No way to know, but studio's can't go without success for years and Obsidian wasn't successful.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of gamers on this forum hate Microsoft, but they are easily the best choice if you want to still have access to these games without all of the BS. Being able to play their games on the cheap through Gamepass, Xcloud, or PC make them the easy win. Also, if the Lockhart is sub 300, then it's a real no Brainerd. All of the teeth gnashing really makes no sense to me if MS were to buy WB.
I agree, I think people's opinion on MS have greatly improved in the last few years.

A good part is still tribalism, if a thread was opened that Sony purchased WB I can guaranty you it would be overwhelmingly positive even though the would almost certainly lock all of the IP's to their platform

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm getting from this discussion is that a decent number of people would prefer that these developers and their IPs be eviscerated by big monolithic publishers if it means Microsoft doesn't get exclusivity...because that's sure as shit what's going to happen if Take Two, EA, or Activision get their paws on them. Hell, WB Games isn't even immune to criticism on this front. Under current Xbox, they would more than likely be Avalanche games, Rocksteady games, Traveller's Tales games, Monolith games, but if not? EA games, Activision games, Take Two games. You do not want this. You might think you want this for whatever weird "inside thought only" kind of reason, but you do not. Related: there's a distinct whiff of "I want to play these games but want to never ever be forced to give money to Microsoft in order to play them." Am I the only one getting that from a lot of these comments? Like needing to buy a PlayStation for some games is just how things are, it's PlayStation haha if you wanna play this cool game guess you gotta go buy a PlayStation sport, but needing to buy an Xbox? Out of the question. Like, are you interested in the games, or the specific platform holder? Do they not sell Xboxes in your village? Is your money not formatted for Xbox purchasing? Microsoft is part of the gaming landscape and some of you are gonna need to make peace with it. You can't just shun them until they realize they're not wanted and sadly shuffle off to go sell hawk Office 365 subs or whatever.

That aside, Microsoft is pretty much objectively the only one of the four that would be good for these developers, and yet I still find myself surprised that it managed to pull as much as 70% of the vote from this community. These publishers are as bad as, and arguably even worse than 2013 Microsoft, and people would prefer WB Games go to them rather than a 2020 Microsoft that would let you play the games on PC, or with a DualShock 5 like you want and on any screen that can support xCloud? It's Mind-boggling to me. Consolidation of the industry is bad, I get that, but not every game gets to be on every platform; PlayStation will never be your one stop shop for everything while there's strong competition in the market and there's nothing wrong with that. It would be nice if there were no exclusives but that's just not the reality at the moment, and isn't wanting all games to be on one platform and not the other basically consolidation anyway? I get that not everyone can own more than one console for a number of reasons (budge financial, limited free time, etc.), but wanting all games to be available on a single console is silly given the way console gaming has always worked. Historically, if you wanted the full gaming experience, you needed to have all consoles, and that's not really changing outside of Microsoft's new ecosystem-focused strategy of putting games on PC. So between the four available options, Microsoft is such a vastly superior choice that I'm not even sure why there's a poll, because with the other three, sure, you might still get those games on PlayStation, but given those companies' histories, they might not emerge as games any of us are interested in paying money to play.

side note: stop this Netherrealm/KI talk. Stop it stop it stop it. EW. Double Helix and Iron Galaxy shit all over MK last gen. From sound work to animations to actual combat...Hell, KI dropped trou on SFV from upper Earth orbit in nearly every way, which would've sounded impossible back in the halcyon days of 2011 (especially to me, who always viewed KI alongside other janky 90s fighting games jokes), but here we are. I submit that there's only ONE studio Microsoft should've bought this gen and didn't--and it was Double Helix.

Boy howdy were you ever right about that one
Amazing post. Well said.

plasticdisaster

Alt account
Banned
Jun 27, 2020
Xbox has a clear plan and direction and have heavily invested in Xbox, PC (Windows Store, Steam), Minecraft as it's own platform, Game Pass on PC and console, and XCloud that all synergizes not only with each other but with MS's core business. Your inability to see how Xbox could maximize their profitability is a failure on your part not a trillion dollar company like MS that knows what they're doing.

When i did suggest it wouldnt be profitable for them? Im just saying none of xbox's recent acquisition tell me they have that kind of money to spare on exclusives. Maybe it is their plan but i have nothing to off of on that end and that this would be far more of a balancing act for them than any of the other parties who could continue the business as is.
MS isnt even my last choice in this but seeing how heated this thread is getting lets leave the discussion on how MS as a whole has handled its past acquisitions for another time.

FYI i think Phil will do a lot better at handling the studios than the competitors but id still rather not have non-struggling studios/ips go exclusive.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Quick glance at wikipedia and some googling gives us these notables:

• 720°
  • Arch Rivals
  • Area 51
  • Asheron's Call
  • Blood
  • Condemned
  • Defender
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Game Party
  • Gauntlet
  • Hard Drivin'
  • Joust
  • Klax
  • Marble Madness
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Narc
  • [NFL] Blitz
  • Paperboy
  • Pit Fighter
  • Primal Rage
  • Psi-Ops
  • Rampage
  • Rampart
  • Ready 2 Rumble
  • Roadblasters
  • Robotron
  • Rush
  • Scribblenauts
  • Sinistar
  • Smash TV
  • Spy Hunter
  • The Suffering
  • Super Sprint
  • This is Vegas
  • Toobin'
  • Touchmaster
  • War Gods
  • Wheelman
  • Xybots

Basically a ton of old Atari/Midway classics plus the stuff picked up when they bought Turbine and Monolith. And, uh, Scribblenauts.

I actually think the retro arcade lineup could be pretty interesting for Microsoft, who are at a disadvantage somewhat in that area vs Nintendo or even Sony. Microsoft coincidentally owns Hydro Thunder too, one of the few Midway IPs WB didn't scoop up.
The lack of "retro" heritage is one of the reasons I thought MS buying Sega made some sense. With something like Game Pass trying to mimic Netflix, they would want to not only have new games, but also some "classic" games that people want to play, just like there are classic shows people want to watch on Netflix. So this also bolsters why MS buying WBIE makes some more sense.

It also makes me laugh thinking of an "Xbox Live Arcade" reboot in Game Pass with actual old arcade games lol.

Sia

Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I don't doubt Microsoft's interest just the price seems high for a studio with such a low games throughput

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When i did suggest it wouldnt be profitable for them? Im just saying none of xbox's recent acquisition tell me they have that kind of money to spare on exclusives. Maybe it is their plan but i have nothing to off of on that end and that this would be far more of a balancing act for them than any of the other parties who could continue the business as is.
MS isnt even my last choice in this but seeing how heated this thread is getting lets leave the discussion on how MS as a whole has handled its past acquisitions for another time.

FYI i think Phil will do a lot better at handling the studios than the competitors but id still rather not have non-struggling studios/ips go exclusive.
Xbox has clearly turned around their management and allowed studios to maintain their culture and create whatever they want. Xbox is not only knee deep in the PC and Console market, but also knows the subscription service (Game Pass on PC and console) and streaming (mobile, tablet, laptop, PC) market is growing and planning to be the market leader. They know they will need a constant pipeline of high quality content and are willing to invest more to achieve that. I don't know how people can't see the vision Xbox clearly has and has shown where they're going. I'd imagine if MS were to get WB gaming unit, all the licensed IP games already being made will finish and remain multiplatform, including PS5, but will also be available on Game Pass on PC and console. After that I'd imagine MS will transition these studios to create their own IP's or IP's MS own and future games will be exclusive to platforms and services Xbox support.

plasticdisaster

Alt account
Banned
Jun 27, 2020
With Microsoft you would get it day and date on pc

i say this as someone with 3 years of gamepass already purchased, id still rather wait for them on steam. Recently i had to repurchase ffxv on steam even though i already have it on gamepass, xbox and ps4 just so i could apply a handful of fixes to it and use some skins. Windows store and me dont see eye to eye lol

Sia

Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
What would you think is a reasonable offer, maybe 2 to 3.5 billion instead of 4?

2.5 billion seems right, you can't really compare this sale to mine craft though as that is a phenomenon with merchandise. I remember going store to store trying to find mine craft toys to buy for my nephew's birthday gift only for them to be sold out. WB averages 2 games a year counting LEGO games where the primary platform is Nintendo consoles. If you look at non LEGO games their throughput is rather low to justify a multi billion dollar acquisition. Unless Microsoft plans to keep all the LEGO games available on the switch, they would not see a return on a 4 billion dollar investment for another 10 years.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Would love to see Microsoft get Warner Bros Games, but I realistically see Take Two Interactive making a better deal for AT&T. I dunno why, I just easily envision Take Two swallowing them up.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass isn't magic. All those jobs in publishing are fucked regardless unless a company that isn't already a publisher buys WBIG.

Just saying. MS probably wants as many studios around to pump out games for Game Pass since they want to be the Netflix of gaming. I'm pretty confident EA would destroy those studios. There is going to be damage regardless. I'll take the minimal amount.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just saying. MS probably wants as many studios around to pump out games for Game Pass since they want to be the Netflix of gaming. I'm pretty confident EA would destroy those studios. There is going to be damage regardless. I'll take the minimal amount.

And what I'm saying is that the minimal amount of damage would be done by a company that isn't already an established publisher buying WBIG. ANY megapublisher is going to axe hundreds if not thousands of people if they buy these teams.

You have to consider EVERY job, not just the people literally coding games.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
2.5 billion seems right, you can't really compare this sale to mine craft though as that is a phenomenon with merchandise. I remember going store to store trying to find mine craft toys to buy for my nephew's birthday gift only for them to be sold out. WB averages 2 games a year counting LEGO games where the primary platform is Nintendo consoles. If you look at non LEGO games their throughput is rather low to justify a multi billion dollar acquisition. Unless Microsoft plans to keep all the LEGO games available on the switch, they would not see a return on a 4 billion dollar investment for another 10 years.

I agree with 2.5 billion, and also, I wasn't even thinking about the Minecraft acquisition at all.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
And what I'm saying is that the minimal amount of damage would be done by a company that isn't already an established publisher buying WBIG. ANY megapublisher is going to axe hundreds if not thousands of people if they buy these teams.

Yea. I've already acknowledged that, but if some magical company doesn't step in, MS would probably be the best course due to less damage.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
side note: stop this Netherrealm/KI talk. Stop it stop it stop it. EW. Double Helix and Iron Galaxy shit all over MK last gen. From sound work to animations to actual combat...Hell, KI dropped trou on SFV from upper Earth orbit in nearly every way, which would've sounded impossible back in the halcyon days of 2011 (especially to me, who always viewed KI alongside other janky 90s fighting games jokes), but here we are. I submit that there's only ONE studio Microsoft should've bought this gen and didn't--and it was Double Helix.

Supposedly Amazon just snaked Double Helix out from under MS without them knowing or even being able to make a counteroffer and yeah, that is probably the biggest gaming letdowns of the last decade. I'm replaying Strider right now and damn these guys knew how to make games, it's such a fucking shame they went to Amazon, no doubt the money is probably good but we know how that's going to end once Amazon gets bored.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
But the Lego games are licensed ips right? They don't come with the purchase

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Supposedly Amazon just snaked Double Helix out from under MS without them knowing or even being able to make a counteroffer and yeah, that is probably the biggest gaming letdowns of the last decade. I'm replaying Strider right now and damn these guys knew how to make games, it's such a fucking shame they went to Amazon, no doubt the money is probably good but we know how that's going to end once Amazon gets bored.

The modern Strider game which was cross-gen, was an awesome game, and this one had pretty a pretty solid metroidvania structure. I loved it.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
If MS get a deal with the wb's IPS. games will be multiplatform I have no doubts about that.

I don't think they want to miss sales from Mortal Kombat and Batman on PlayStation.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

That's also supposing other companies want to continue the packaged games publishing model though. People suggested Google, Amazon and Tencent among others but in reality I think they'd all be just as likely to slash jobs within WB and TT publishing depts. They don't really need that arm either.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
If MS get a deal with the wb's IPS. games will be multiplatform I have no doubts about that.

I don't think they want to miss sales from Mortal Kombat and Batman on PlayStation.

Well, Sony was totally okay with missing sales from Street Fighter V and Spider-Man on Xbox so you never know.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. Immediate return on investment as well as upping the value of Game Pass and positively increasing subscribers.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017

What's weird about this statement is that for the longest time, PS fans here say there is no need to buy an Xbox because you can play their games on PC. So now I noticed a slight shift to PlayStation or bust. What happened?

As long as the games are on Xbox, PC (Steam and Gamepass) and XCloud they'll still be just fine saleswise.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
What's weird about this statement is that for the longest time, PS fans here say there is no need to buy an Xbox because you can play their games on PC. So now I noticed a slight shift to PlayStation or bust. What happened?

As long as the games are on Xbox, PC (Steam and Gamepass) and XCloud they'll still be just fine saleswise.

To be fair, PlayStation has sold about twice as many Xboxes this gen. You would be loosing say 65-75% of your console marketshare maybe? I don't really know, just a point. I wouldn't mind if MS got them at all, it would be a good move for them.

I do wonder, are there that many PC gamers? I always thought that PlayStation was bigger in number than PCs worldwide. I am not saying that there are more PS4s than PCs (that would be stupid), but gaming PCs wise, are there that many? I would think that PlayStation is still the biggest gaming platform in the world, but I am not sure. FIFA still sells best on PS for intance, same with CoD (I think). If someone can educate me on this, please do so. I am just giving my perception of the situation based on numbers btw, not even an opinion.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

If Microsoft buys them I can easily see MK going PC/Xbox only. It fits their demographic and we're on a generational transition, it adds more value as an ecosystem draw. It's the more likely outcome.

The licenses would probably vary case to case but again I could see some going exclusive (say Arkham and LOTR) while other stay multi (say LEGO and Potter) based on demo and audience. Properties that fall within the "core" Xbox target audience MS will push for exclusives, those that aim more at other audiences will stay multi while they have them.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, PlayStation has sold about twice as many Xboxes this gen. You would be loosing say 65-75% of your console marketshare maybe? I don't really know, just a point. I wouldn't mind if MS got them at all, it would be a good move for them.

I do wonder, are there that many PC gamers? I always thought that PlayStation was bigger in number than PCs worldwide. I am not saying that there are more PS4s than PCs (that would be stupid), but gaming PCs wise, are there that many? I would think that PlayStation is still the biggest gaming platform in the world, but I am not sure. FIFA still sells best on PS for intance, same with CoD (I think). If someone can educate me on this, please do so. I am just giving my perception of the situation based on numbers btw, not even an opinion.

I'd say PC and mobile are bigger gaming platforms than Playstation worldwide.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Lol some people on here act like they got all the business sense in the world.

If Microsoft is interested, that means they've already evaluated the investment and see it as something that could be beneficial for them. This probably means not only the studios, but some sort of agreement for the WB IPs as well.

Some of y'all are really underestimating the value of these IPs. WB has all of DC Comics, Mortal Kombat, LOTR, The Matrix, Mad Max, and a ton of others. Each of those could spring up their own franchises, and in the case of DC Comics, a multitude of franchises.

To not see this as something to pounce on, especially when you factor in that WB is LOOKING to sell and someone isn't approaching them for it, it changes the game completely.

SOMEONE is finna buy them, and in this case Phil and co are thinking "why not us?"

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I'd say PC and mobile are bigger gaming platforms than Playstation worldwide.

Mobile, definitely. They do use a different approach to gaming, though with all the gatcha and free to play stuff. I am not sure about PCs though, but I am completely ignorant in that regard. I would love to see numbers, just because I love comparing stats :)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, PlayStation has sold about twice as many Xboxes this gen. You would be loosing say 65-75% of your console marketshare maybe? I don't really know, just a point.
We're at the end of this gen though, starting fresh in November. That's why you see Sony moneyhatting console/timed exclusives from Bethesda and Square Enix for example. This is time to pay for exclusives and build those audiences.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pushing for crossplay then limiting the audience for a fighting game. 4d chess move

"We want everything playable on our systems, but not on yours. ;)" seems to be the general Sony/Microsoft consensus on cross-play.

Positioning a lack of cross-play as anti-consumer while simultaneously buying out huge swathes of developers and MAKING them exclusive is certainly a look and it's real transparent that both of them are doing it.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
"We want everything playable on our systems, but not on yours. ;)" seems to be the general Sony/Microsoft consensus on cross-play.

It's Sony that fought crossplay kicking and screaming all of the way. MS has been open to it all gen and I believe is responsible for creating the tools to make it a painless process for devs