• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
jVGPWzZ.jpg

• Developer: Project Aces
  • Publisher: Bandai Namco
  • Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC (Steam)
  • Genre: Combat Flight Action
  • Release Date: January 17th (Japan, PS4 & XBO), January 18th (RoW, PS4 & XBO), February 1st (PC)

All pre-orders of the PS4 version of the game receive a digital copy of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, while pre-orders on Xbox receive digital copy of Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation

jW4d5fY.png

The singleplayer campaign returns to the Usean continent, depicting a war between the Osean Federation and the Kingdom of Erusea.
The game's events take place during the year 2019, in an era of heightened tensions due to the International Space Elevator,
an Osean project viewed with suspicion by the Eruseans. Amid concerns of the Space Elevator's potential for military use, Erusean
military decides to take precautionary action by carrying out an attack on the International Space Elevator, capturing it as well as
a fleet of UAV carriers known as Arsenal Birds. With certain war looming on the horizon, the player takes on the role of a fighter pilot,
callsign Trigger, in the Osean Air Defence Force.

I0bUouj.jpg

The gameplay of Ace Combat 7 returns to the more traditional style of previous titles, abandoning the Dogfight Mode introduced in
Assault Horizon. While the game's controls are simple, making it is easy for anyone to jump in, the advanced flight model means pulling off
more advanced maneuvers takes considerable skill. Dogfighting is more tactical than before, with Post Stall Maneuvers and flares granting
players more options to turn the tables. In a new addition to the series, weather has an effect on the gameplay, with clouds obscuring
visibility and providing stealth.

zSpjZDz.png

Ace Combat 7 features the aircraft tree, introduced in Ace Combat Infinity. Players can purchase aircraft, parts, and special weapons by
progressing through the tree. The various aircraft can be customized in the hangar, equipping parts and special weapons to improve
aircraft performance or adding entirely new features. To balance this customization system, planes are limited in their part capacity
across three different areas: body, modifying the performance of the aircraft, arms, modifying the performance of the weapons,
and misc. for other aircraft parts.

Playable aircraft:
Base Game:
F-104C Starfighter
A-10C Thunderbolt II
F-2A
F-14D Super Tomcat
F-15C Eagle
F-15J Eagle
F-15E Strike Eagle
F-16C Fighting Falcon
F/A-18F Super Hornet
F-22A Raptor
F-35C Lightning II
YF-23 Black Widow II
Mirage 2000-5
Rafale M
Typhoon
Gripen E
MiG-21bis Fishbed
MiG-29A Fulcrum
MiG-31B Foxhound
Su-30M2 Flanker-F2
Su-30SM
Su-33 Flanker-D
Su-34 Fullback
Su-35S Flanker-E
Su-37 Terminator
Su-57
DLC:
F-4E Phantom II

HQOmS5Z.jpg

At launch there are two multiplayer modes, Battle Royal and Team Deathmatch, both supporting up to 8 players. Battle Royal is a free for all
deathmatch where the winner is determined by the amount of points they've gained by the end of the match, while in Team Deathmatch the players are
split into two teams and the team with the highest score wins.

OnvCuzW.png

Exclusive to the PlayStation 4 version of the game, Ace Combat 7 features a VR mode separate from the campaign and multiplayer.
The VR mode features a reduced quantity of aircraft compared to rest of the game, but it has a series of exclusive missions.
Some special features of the VR mode include the ability to lock on enemies by merely looking at them and the restriction of
camera to only the first-person cockpit view.

GHzMNOJ.jpg

Gamespot
Kotaku
Wccftech
Metro GameCentral
Eurogamer
IGN
PC Gamer
PCGamesN
Game Informer

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Waiting until February 1 is going to kill me. I wanted this game in my life for years. Everything I've wanted and more seems like it's happening in full force in AC7. Thanks for the OT

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Lovely thread. Got my flight stick ready to go for Skies Unknown, but hoping to go through the AC5 and AC6 releases before then.

Good to finally jump into this series.

SirRugdumph

Oct 27, 2017
It's be so long! Fuckin pumped for Friday. Worst part is gonna be waiting on Amazon to drop the game off

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
never played an AC game before, excited to check this one out, really looking forward to seeing it in VR.

is the AC5 preorder bonus inside the case or is it an email code?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the PC version is delayed until January, so I have to wait until then to get my hands on this.

Pretty excited. At the very least I expect Keiki Kobayashi DA GAWD and the rest of Namco's sound team to deliver their usual greatness. People don't know it but Assault Horizon legit has one of the best soundtracks of the last generation.

Really hope AC7's soundtrack is up this recording quality.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, we're fighting in favor of Osea again? Was hoping we'd get to side with Erusea instead.

Oct 25, 2017
My only disappointment going into 7 is that the epilogue of 5 kinda ruins some huge story potential for 7.
The Aces of Razgriz are stated to have never flown in the skies of battle again,
7's story really seems like something they would have gotten involved in to make their peace last longer than just 9 years

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
My copy of the game and Hori AC7 HOTAS has been sent out today but won't arrive until friday. Can't wait!

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
My copy has been sent today, so hopefully will be playing tomorrow.

Also received an email with my code for Ace Combat 6, so guess it isn't included in boxed copies.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This'll be my introduction to the series. I hope it makes as big an impression on a newcomer as Yakuza 0 did

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unboxing of a PAL copy did not have the code in the box.

If it's not in the box then how do they deliver it? Or maybe it's an unlock in the disc like Call of Duty?
I honestly had no idea AC lore was a thing. Any good videos to watch to catch up for someone who has never played one of these?
I remember AC4 had you as an Osean pilot who becomes a feared Ace going against Erusea's Yellow squadron. Other than that, I'm not sure this particular "strangereal" setting ever appeared in other games, AC5 is a completely different setting IIRC.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait. I'm so happy it's a return to form and a return to Strangereal.

BestBuy says that the code for AC5 will be emailed out.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited but cautious about this title. Haven't played an Ace Combat since 6 on Xbox 360 with the ace edge flight controller.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
If it's not in the box then how do they deliver it? Or maybe it's an unlock in the disc like Call of Duty?

I remember AC4 had you as an Osean pilot who becomes a feared Ace going against Erusea's Yellow squadron. Other than that, I'm not sure this particular "strangereal" setting ever appeared in other games, AC5 is a completely different setting IIRC.

AC 4-6 , 0, and X all are explicity Strangereal games. The remake of 2 for 3DS retrofits some things to fit it into the continuity as well. 3 and 1 have been kinda shoved in there too, but really inelegantly imo. Basically, numbered AC = Strangereal.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AC 4-6 , 0, and X all are explicity Strangereal games. The remake of 2 for 3DS retrofits some things to fit it into the continuity as well. 3 and 1 have been kinda shoved in there too, but really inelegantly imo. Basically, numbered AC = Strangereal.
But every Strangereal game takes place in the same world? Because I really don't remember neither Osea or Erusea being mentioned in AC5, even if you can fight some aces from previous games if you look for them in missions.
In cases like this the retailer you preordered the game with will email it to you or print it on the final receipt.
Man, this is my first time pre-ordering from this particular retailer (who's selling the game on the brazilian Amazon site) and I really hope I get the code.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting for my code for 5 from Amazon. I guess it should be emailed at some point in the near future, I suppose

Yeah, I am still waiting for my code from gamestop (online shop) as well. Let's see how this goes.

Please share your impressions of the HOTAS in the thread when you get it! I'm interested in getting one, but it looks very similar to the old Ace Combat 5 HOTAS and it isn't cheap.

Sure. Will do that!

Last edited:

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Sooo... is there any actual, official confirmation that this is X Enhanced? There's a couple random interviews where they say it is, but nothing on the actual product page...

OP
OP
emotion engine
Oct 27, 2017
But every Strangereal game takes place in the same world? Because I really don't remember neither Osea or Erusea being mentioned in AC5, even if you can fight some aces from previous games if you look for them in missions.

Man, this is my first time pre-ordering from this particular retailer (who's selling the game on the brazilian Amazon site) and I really hope I get the code.
You play as a member of 108th Tactical Squadron Wardogs of the Osean Air Defense Force in AC5. The actual war in AC5 is against Yuktobania.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I preordered from Target but see no mention of the preorder bonus. Did I get screwed?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hope I can jump in and do the VR stuff right from the get go.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really tempted to get this, but as a total AC noob I really wish we had some reviews / impressions out there.

In my Ace Combat ignorance I never realized the series had anime-esque, melodramatic stories (and great music). Foolishly thought they were like realistic sims.

Aquila

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see the OT to this is finally up. I'm still pissed that I missed out on the collector's edition artbook. It's been 11(?) years since the last proper AC title; stoked to be back.
My only disappointment going into 7 is that the epilogue of 5 kinda ruins some huge story potential for 7.
The Aces of Razgriz are stated to have never flown in the skies of battle again,
7's story really seems like something they would have gotten involved in to make their peace last longer than just 9 years
They could fly again just not as Razgriz or Ghosts. I've always figured that they had to go into some sort of witness protection to avoid the Grey Men's retribution. I could see Snow getting a cameo since he wasn't directily tied to Sand Island.

Erusea did nothing wrong.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

All the same world, some games even take place during or adjacent to the same conflicts on varying sides.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You play as a member of 108th Tactical Squadron Wardogs of the Osean Air Defense Force in AC5. The actual war in AC5 is against Yuktobania.
Man, my memory of this game is fading. All the more reason to replay it on PS4, if my pre-order is honored correctly.
All the same world, some games even take place during or adjacent to the same conflicts on varying sides.
That's pretty cool. I never played 6 and I only played the american version of 3, so the only ones I played with the fictional setting were 4, 5 and a little bit of Zero.