• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Glad it did well. Now I'm curious what kind of deal From Software made with Activision. I assume there was a "sequel or DLC expansions" clause if it does well. It is Activision after all.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
This coming from Activision is really not something one hears very often.

Man, I'm so happy that From are having this kind of success considering how niche their game design was considered to be when Demon Souls was released. Miyazaki and team deserve every bit of success, and if this allows them to do DLC and a sequel, I'll be overjoyed.

Well fucking done lads, bravo!

They should buy From

What treachery is this. Ew. No.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in knowing how this deal came to be, a big Western publisher funding a triple A Nipponese singleplayer game? It used to happen often during the Gen 5/6 days but how in 2019, with open world, loot boxes, GaaS and recurring revenue as the big things. Acti did fund some Platinum games but those were low budget cartoon games.

Hope to see more Western funded Nipponese games.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Glad it did well. Now I'm curious what kind of deal From Software made with Activision. I assume there was a "sequel or DLC expansions" clause if it does well. It is Activision after all.
There is no deal, they just helped testing and published the game in the west. From has complete control over the game.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
There is no deal, they just helped testing and published the game in the west. From has complete control over the game.
Not necessarily. They signed a contract, which might have stipulations (we want DLC, a sequel, rights to publish etc. if sales over a certain amount). A publishing company can do this. That said, it doesn't mean they did or did not do it.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Not necessarily. They signed a contract, which might have stipulations (we want DLC, a sequel, rights to publish etc. if sales over a certain amount). A publishing company can do this. That said, it doesn't mean they did or did not do it.
No, because Activision does not have exclusive pubblishin rights. The only thing they can ask for is to be pubblisher of the dlc as well and maybe a contract for a sequel, but they certainly cannot force a dlc, that is internal

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
No, because Activision does not have exclusive pubblishin rights. The only thing they can ask for is to be pubblisher of the dlc as well and maybe a contract for a sequel, but they certainly cannot force a dlc, that is internal
That's what I said. A clause for rights to publish DLC/sequel if successful. They can also negotiate something. It's important to undestand you or I do not know what they actually did, so it's not a good idea to say "no, they don't have a deal" when you don't actually know this.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies, I thought you meant they have a clause that forces them to develop a dlc or sequel in case of good sales
I mean, if they negotiated it in the contract then they will be expected to do it. But it would be something FromSoft agreed to do. But it seems From had most of the leverage since they have been successful, so maybe it's just rights to publish if they do it.

I think we can expect at least one DLC, anyway.

Jun 1, 2018
Helped them a bit in Q1 which was "Better than expected". We all know who the real "King" at Acti is though.

3rZg8ky.jpg
where can i look at the complete presentation?

Oct 25, 2017
Super happy to hear this. Sekiro is a masterpiece, I don't think I'll play anything better this year. Always good to hear that a quality game sells. It's been a hell of a ride for From since Demon's Souls.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to Square Enix announcing that they were disappointed in Sekiro's sales.