• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but in this case, the money went to specific individuals (i.e. coaches) rather than to the schools themselves. But you make a great point- if they had offered this type of cash to school administrators as a donation to the school, they absolutely could have worked it out in a totally legit way.

I believe that's a link to this thread?

There was a dupe thread. I think they meant to post it there.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Lori Loughlin - "Is this enough money to get my son into Yale?"
Dean - "You got it, dude!"

Years later:
Lori Loughlin (to judge): "Have mercy."

Why do I do these things...

Kathartic

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Are you telling that the top colleges of the world accepted bribery instead of calling the police and arrest those who attempted to brebe them?

That's explain how
a) in most european small countries all childern of politicians and the "elite" all go to those schools
b) those childern after their college years in those prestigious schools they come back and one way or another "rule" us. Usually they fail and whole countries suffer, because of that broken illegal bribery thing.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If you got 6 million plus college money, why not set your kid up so they don't need college?
6 million doesn't buy you social networks like an elite college does.

I'm still scratching my head over this actually being called out by law enforcement. This is like an open secret like young actors being taken advantage of but I didn't think it was illegal as long as it didn't involve public colleges.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Matthew Yglesias @mattyglesias

Pro-tip to rich people — here is the totally legal and totally cool way to bribe your kid's way into college.https://www.propublica.org/article/the-story-behind-jared-kushners-curious-acceptance-into-harvard …

11:24 AM - Mar 12, 2019

d1d89pkxqaabqi8i2k45.png

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
There's a pretty big misunderstanding of how college admissions works here.

If I'm understanding this correctly, it doesn't seem to actually involve admissions officers or high level administrators?

One of the cooperating witnesses is a founder of the non-profit Key Worldwide Foundation based in California and another worked as the director of college exam prep at a prep school and sports academy in Bradenton, Florida, according to the court papers.

This sounds a lot like IMG Academy, which makes sense. It's a recruiting haven for D1 athletes.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Legacy admissions are why I have a bias against Ivy league graduates. I want to know they're not silver spooned morons before I trust them with important responsibilities.

idlewild_

Oct 29, 2017
6 million doesn't buy you social networks like an elite college does.

I'm still scratching my head over this actually being called out by law enforcement. This is like an open secret like young actors being taken advantage of but I didn't think it was illegal as long as it didn't involve public colleges.

Sounds like they were bribing coaches to get their kids admitted via a sports team instead of just making a large donation to the school. Since it says exam scandal, I'm guessing it's because the kids grades and test scores were too low for the school to look the other way on even with a donation.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
who the hell calls USC "University of Southern California -- Los Angeles"?

also who are these people

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There's a pretty big misunderstanding of how college admissions works here.

If I'm understanding this correctly, it doesn't seem to actually involve admissions officers or high level administrators?

This sounds a lot like IMG Academy, which makes sense. It's a recruiting haven for D1 athletes.
Right. Athletic admissions are largely handled separately than other applicants. They do come through the admissions office at some point usually, but at a much higher level than a regular admissions officer. It's possible that someone at the Director level or above within the admissions office would have been aware. A coach wouldn't have unilateral discretion to admit.

So actually, I'd think at least one person might know. Unless they just saw that they're an athlete and as far as they know, the coach told them this is someone I am recruiting. That would be the only way to have an unsuspecting admissions staffer approve the admission.

Edit: And the added complications here are the faked test scores and grades. It's possible these kids were so uncompetitive, they would have been denied anyway even if they were "recruited." Which does happen. Lots to unpack.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Well that's kind of my point. Imagine thinking you accomplished this. Not your parents, not your family money, you. You got in on your own merits. Only you didn't, and maybe you don't find out until years later. Yeah, financially you're going to be fine, but it's a kick in the teeth that everything you thought you built off that college education was because your parents bought your way in. Kind of sucks for them.

I'm sure many of these kids are the ones who party through all their classes and coast by on the minimum anyways. Those ones I don't feel sorry for.

OP
OP
Smokeymicpot

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
From 2018 .

Celebrity kid called 'spoiled' and 'privileged brat' after saying she's going to college for 'game days' and 'partying'

Olivia Giannulli is used to living a lavish life, led by her famous mother Lori Loughlin and designer father Mossimo Giannulli. But the 19-year-old YouTuber, who goes by the name Olivia Jade online, has gotten herself into a bit of trouble, as subscribers are calling her out for her "spoiled" outlook on college.

In one of her latest videos, the teen opened up about her future plans after recently graduating from her private high school in California. And although she's already made quite the career for herself on social media, people were excited to hear that Olivia is still planning to attend college in the fall. However, her explanation of why she wants to pursue higher education has people expressing their disappointment.

"I don't know how much of school I'm gonna attend," she shared with her nearly 2 million subscribers, after explaining her extensive work schedule. "But I'm gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don't really care about school, as you guys all know."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cel...g-190101738.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
reading the article in seems that in some cases the kids must have known
From 2018 .

Celebrity kid called 'spoiled' and 'privileged brat' after saying she's going to college for 'game days' and 'partying'

Olivia Giannulli is used to living a lavish life, led by her famous mother Lori Loughlin and designer father Mossimo Giannulli. But the 19-year-old YouTuber, who goes by the name Olivia Jade online, has gotten herself into a bit of trouble, as subscribers are calling her out for her "spoiled" outlook on college.

In one of her latest videos, the teen opened up about her future plans after recently graduating from her private high school in California. And although she's already made quite the career for herself on social media, people were excited to hear that Olivia is still planning to attend college in the fall. However, her explanation of why she wants to pursue higher education has people expressing their disappointment.

"I don't know how much of school I'm gonna attend," she shared with her nearly 2 million subscribers, after explaining her extensive work schedule. "But I'm gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying…I don't really care about school, as you guys all know."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cel...g-190101738.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw
im shocked

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we save the word "elite" for truly elite things, like Stanford and Yale and Eli Manning, and not Georgetown and USC and Joe Flacco?