Oct 27, 2017
What's the "raised in a distant state" thing? Better schools in some states?
Many state schools accept a limited pool of candidates from out-of-state, and charge them a lot more money to attend. They also require much higher grades and accomplishments for consideration. Not sure what that class of student is pictured in that cartoon.

Nov 9, 2017
Hmm. USC isn't the type of school I'd think anyone would have to bribe their way into. Laughlin has the cash on hand to just pay her kid's tuition.

I don't understand why rich people do dumb financial things.

It's the problem AJ Soprano ran into on the show. "The world needs ditch diggers too." doesn't apply to the super rich.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. USC isn't the type of school I'd think anyone would have to bribe their way into. Laughlin has the cash on hand to just pay her kid's tuition.

USC had an acceptance rate of just 13% last year. It gets a ton of applicants.

Oct 29, 2017

DcPvxnU.gif

Didn't even give them all the letters. Not even a "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog", smh

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

USC is not an easy school to get into. Just because they had a good football program doesnt mean it was a dumb jock school.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Take a single trip to the dining hall and you will realize just how not worth risking jail time it is to try and cheat your way into Georgetown. Lol.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
This happens when college is built around profit and prestige.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to one of these schools. Are there names? Would be hilarious to see people I know.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
$500K to get into USC, Loughlin is as smart as her daughter. At least Huffman only spent $15K to cheat on the SATs.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This honestly doesnt go far enough. there is so much shit that goes on with pay for admissions to schools. This is where the real issue is with admissions not affirmative action.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
lol @ thinking the kids weren't in on this

They falsified transcripts, etc, from what I heard on NPR. There's no way the kids had no idea what was happening. The kids are 16, not 5. I remember applying to college, and you can see the whole application before you submit it.

Or maybe they trusted official school documents to be accurate and didn't look over them with a fine toothed comb.

Also, how the hell is UT an elite school? You get guaranteed fucking admission if you're in the top % of your class.

Uh... do you realize how fucking difficult that is these days?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe they trusted official school documents to be accurate and didn't look over them with a fine toothed comb.

Uh... do you realize how fucking difficult that is these days?
It is but there are plenty of comparable schools that don't have such strict entrance requirements because their state populations are much smaller. Like there is no reason to commit fraud to send your kid to UT when they could just go to a bunch of other good southern or midwestern schools.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's weird, they're reporting that the universities are claiming ignorance, right? Articles like this say that there were donations made directly to the athletic departments:

https://thenevadaindependent.com/ar...ted-in-college-admissions-and-bribery-scandal

According to the complaint filed by the U.S. Attorney's office, Aziz conspired with a cooperating witness to bribe a senior associate athletic director at USC in order to help his daughter get recruited by the USC basketball team and facilitate her admission to the university.

Aziz is alleged to have paid a $300,000 donation to USC's gift account for the Galen Center, the arena for USC's basketball and volleyball programs, and $20,000 per month in payments to the senior associate athletic director.

Also, man senior associate athletic director and not "just" a coach. Geez.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Nick Confessore @nickconfessore

1. Rich parents bribe your way into college. 2. Make influencer money doing paid promotions where you are branded as a college student. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/style/olivia-jade-giannulli-college-admissions-scandal.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share … via ⁦@nytimes

3:24 PM - Mar 12, 2019

I went to one of these schools. Are there names? Would be hilarious to see people I know.
>

Here's the full list:
  • Gregory Abbott
  • Marcia Abbott
  • Gamal Abdelaziz
  • Diane Blake
  • Todd Blake
  • Jane Buckingham
  • Gordon Caplan
  • Michael Center
  • I-Hsin "Joey" Chen
  • Amy Colburn
  • Gregory Colburn
  • Igor Dvorskiy
  • Gordon Ernst
  • William Ferguson
  • Robert Flaxman
  • Martin Fox
  • Mossimo Giannulli
  • Donna Heinel
  • Elizabeth Henriquez
  • Manuel Henriquez
  • Douglas Hodge
  • Felicity Huffman
  • Agustin Huneeus Jr.
  • Bruce Isackson
  • Davina Isackson
  • Michelle Janavs
  • Laura Janke
  • Ali Khosroshahin
  • Elisabeth Kimmel
  • Marjorie Klapper
  • Lori Loughlin
  • Toby MacFarlane
  • Steven Masera
  • William McGlashan
  • Rudolph Meredith
  • Marci Palatella
  • Mark Riddell
  • Jorge Salcedo
  • Mikaela Sanford
  • Peter Jan Sartorio
  • Stephen Semprevivo
  • David Sidoo
  • William Rick Singer
  • Devin Sloane
  • John Vandemoer
  • Jovan Vavic
  • Niki Williams
  • John Wilson
  • Homayoun Zadeh
  • Robert Zangrillo
www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/us/felicity-huffman-lori-loughlin-massimo-giannulli.html

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every book, TV show, movie, or word of mouth about colleges always bring up some rich-white kid who got in because their parents paid off admission or gave money to the school.

About time they did something about it, it only took a century or two.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So William H Macy dodged a charge after all?

So awful that this is a thing, sigh. Glad it's being cracked down on, but I think it's a small dent in the overall picture. This has obviously been going on since forever, just look at Trump.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017

Rich people pay using other legal and unethical means and do things to give their kids multiple legs up over kids who rely on the public school lottery.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Every book, TV show, movie, or word of mouth about colleges always bring up some rich-white kid who got in because their parents paid off admission or gave money to the school.

As a European I always figured this was allowed since I saw it so many movies and TV shows.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
There is already a legal bribe system in play for college admissions - donor admissions. Why not just use that, or does that require like a 20 million dollar building or something? Hmm, I guess in the case of USC thing, yeah it sounds like it is $500k vs 5 million.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What tipped this off, usually when people at this level get caught up, they either killed somebody or they pissed somebody off higher up on the food ladder

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
I'm shocked someone is actually getting in trouble for this.

This is so common it's a trope in movies and tv shows. The entire plot of Billy Madison and Back to School hinges on taking money for admission.

Billy Madison is exactly the first thing I thought of. I wonder what triggered someone to care even a little? I can't see them suffering too many consequences here regardless

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
There is already a legal bribe system in play for college admissions - donor admissions. Why not just use that, or does that require like a 20 million dollar building or something? Hmm, I guess in the case of USC thing, yeah it sounds like it is $500k vs 5 million.

Because they didnt want to pay that high of a price.

Look at the prices for what they did pay for the illegal way.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Billy Madison is exactly the first thing I thought of. I wonder what triggered someone to care even a little? I can't see them suffering too many consequences here regardless

The cynic in me would say that the reason this is a big deal is because the university didn't get the money, individual people did. But the universities are probably going to be in big trouble anyway.

Also, I'd expect some of this from private universities, but if public universities like UCLA are in on this, I think that's a whole different legal matter.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
The cynic in me would say that the reason this is a big deal is because the university didn't get the money, individual people did. But the universities are probably going to be in big trouble anyway.

Also, I'd expect some of this from private universities, but if public universities like UCLA are in on this, I think that's a whole different legal matter.

Seems like that really would go against the schools' interests. That and some of the cases didn't directly benefit the school, like Macy's. They just paid a third party to pass their kid's SAT for them. There's probably a ton of stuff here we'll never get to know. Someone definitely pissed off the wrong person though

Oct 25, 2017
At some public institutions they have a separate quota for in state and out of state (since out of state usually pays more). I'm guessing that's what this is referencing. Like I think it's harder to go to UC if you live in CA.
From what I remember its much harder to get accepted as an out of state student in CA schools, might be different elsewhere but def not for places like Berkeley and all

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$500K to get into USC, Loughlin is as smart as her daughter. At least Huffman only spent $15K to cheat on the SATs.

When parents look at their kids as lost causes, they try and do everything in their power to get them ahead and at least somewhat on their feet for the future. I guess making sure her daughter doesn't end up as a cashier at Walmart was worth the $500k she put down. LOL!!!

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
David Sidoo , who I believe has a University of British Columbia field or stadium named after him for his work in athletics is in here

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

Well lets be clear about something here. The reason these people got in trouble here is because they arent rich enough to donate an obscene amount of money directly to the school and secure their kids entrance legally, they paid a smaller amount directly to certain people to gain entrance which is illegal.

In other words this doesnt effect the extremely wealthy at all.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

is this a good thread for the reviled dave ramsey tweet? (this thing is gonna get a lot of mileage in the near future)

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean that isn't even illegal. They lied to the universities and paid specific individuals to commit fraud for them, they didn't give money to the university itself in exchange for admission.