• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that "all lives matter" was not a phrase before BLM pretty much proves it's a protest to a valid, needed protest and nothing more. Anyone using it knows what they are doing. This was fucked up.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
thats the thing she's running for president, and shes making dumb statements

and that's bad. The democrats are simply saying 'well apparently pandering to minorities didn't work in the last presidential election, so now we have to tip toe and pander to white people.'

and thats why pelosi shouldn't run for president. They learned the wrong things from the last election.
Ummmm.. she's not running for President.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with you. I think people say this phrase without thinking about what they're doing. People also use this phrase all the time to dismiss Black Lives Matter as some kind of nuisance that needs to go away.

I don't know which this is but it has the same effect, regardless.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
thats the thing she's running for president, and shes making dumb statements

and that's bad. The democrats are simply saying 'well apparently pandering to minorities didn't work in the last presidential election, so now we have to tip toe and pander to white people.'

and thats why pelosi shouldn't run for president. They learned the wrong things from the last election.

When the heck did Pelosi say she was running for president?

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
All Lives Matter to me reads like most White "allyship" bare minimum and performative at best

Nancy told all the Black folks present what her feelings on the subject are nothing of note

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How many times have you heard "All lives matter." in response to "Black lives matter."? Lots.
How many times have you heard "All lives matter." in response to "Blue lives matter."? hmmmmm

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
As a minority, I think it's sad to hear you don't want to hear other minorities be included in this fight for equality, as if they do not have their own struggles. It shows a lack of understanding of other minorities, races, cultures to be like well I only care for my own race.

Every minority is struggling in different ways and every minority has felt the hand of racism from white people.

I agree that Black lives matter and the issues pushed forward are very real. That doesn't mean that others can't say they think their lives matter or join in this push for equality.

It shouldn't be one race gets equal treatment at a time. We should all be at that point in this day and age you would think.

Oct 29, 2017
Its not contradictory this is insane. She has to say it because a conservative talking point is that white people are under attack.

Its absolutely jarring that this thread got reopened after the first attempt at click bait. This is shameful.

Characterizing it as a "conservative talking point" is being way too charitable. It's purposefully disingenuous bullshit from diet and overt racists. If white people look at BLM as a personal attack that's their fucking problem.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The simple fact is, your country has made BLM to be toxic, to paint is as a singular focus on Black people above all others. It is no wonder that someone who wants to push for election is trying to distance themselves from it, wrong as it is. It doesn't matter that BLM isn't exclusive, but a focus on how black people are murdered without care, or due diligence as your media, your president, your politicians have made it to be exclusive. She could fight against it, and probably should, but when the left wing of your "progressives" feels they're better off trying to push an ALM vs BLM movement, then you probably should just accept that BLM as a movement is dead in terms of winning elections.

It isn't just about winning elections. Should politics simply be about appealing to the lowest common denominator? We aren't any better than Trump and his ilk if we are willing to appeal to racism and bigotry.

Black Lives Matter is the ethical position. Period.

I'm sorry if it scares white moderates and even leftists. But one racial group of people should not be targeted for violence. And the phrase "all lives matter" is a direct repudiation of the fight that we face trying to end this violence against our people. The fact that one of the leaders of the Democratic Party thinks that it's ok to use that phrase in this context is despicable.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
No one is going to argue against the notion that "all lives matter", which is why it doesn't need to be said. Not "all lives" are being treated as disposable and unimportant, so it's an important distinction for her to make. Politicians should try harder to give people a reason to vote for them beyond "well the other guys are reeeeeally big pieces of shit".

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
The simple fact is, your country has made BLM to be toxic, to paint is as a singular focus on Black people above all others. It is no wonder that someone who wants to push for election is trying to distance themselves from it, wrong as it is. It doesn't matter that BLM isn't exclusive, but a focus on how black people are murdered without care, or due diligence as your media, your president, your politicians have made it to be exclusive. She could fight against it, and probably should, but when the left wing of your "progressives" feels they're better off trying to push an ALM vs BLM movement, then you probably should just accept that BLM as a movement is dead in terms of winning elections.

This is alot better summation than I care to give. This thread just seems so ridiculous. This is why the liberal agenda will never get anywhere.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I generally agree that it was at best a pretty dumb thing for her to say. Not really fully convinced it was a deliberate dogwhistle but she can always walk it back if she doesn't want it perceived that way.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
No one is going to argue against the notion that "all lives matter", which is why it doesn't need to be said. Not "all lives" are being treated as disposable and unimportant, so it's an important distinction for her to make. Politicians should try harder to give people a reason to vote for them beyond "well the other guys are reeeeeally big pieces of shit".
Yeah but the fact that she included it doesn't mean that she's trying to dog whistle or whatever you all are trying to claim. People are playing dumb to the current political climate where you have to be extremely precise with everything you say for the sake of internet rage. Its ridiculous.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
As a minority, I think it's sad to hear you don't want to hear other minorities be included in this fight for equality, as if they do not have their own struggles. It shows a lack of understanding of other minorities, races, cultures to be like well I only care for my own race.

Every minority is struggling in different ways and every minority has felt the hand of racism from white people.

I agree that Black lives matter and the issues pushed forward are very real. That doesn't mean that others can't say they think their lives matter or join in this push for equality.

Its because we know its bullshit. No matter how we protest people find a problem with the shit and attack it. BLM? Oh noooo, we need to ALL lives matter your protest.... Kneel at a football game? Oh noooo we need you to play ball and shutup and make sure you never play in the league and ban kneeling.

Fuck that, they aren't slick. No matter how we represent our issues the same fucking assholes always find some way to fuck with it. Its never good enough. If we take it public its "Stop blocking traffic" if we do it peacefully then its "All lives matter" if we kneel its "Unacceptable and disrespecting the troops".

Had enough of this bullshit. Doesn't take a genius to see that people just don't want black people airing and bringing attention to the specific grievances they face.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The majority of people who push "All Lives Matter" want other minorities to have this response, and it's sad in 2019 that folks still go "I don't see why the struggle of black people are more important than my race's struggle."

Folks are just playing into their goddamn hands. Stuff like what Pelosi said make me wonder if Democrats really did learn anything over the last couple of years.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
s
Why should we accept it? Black people are tired of being the Democrats Old reliable

Oct 26, 2017

You've completely misunderstood this topic.

This is about All Lives Matter being said to detract from when people want politicians to focus on issues affecting black people. It's deflection, time and time again, from a movement trying to get people to notice the injustice black people face in America.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

This is a pretty bad argument in terms of winning elections. Do you want more leftist radical nonvoting movements? Because this is how you get more leftist radical nonvoting movements.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
How many times have you heard "All lives matter." in response to "Black lives matter."? Lots.
How many times have you heard "All lives matter." in response to "Blue lives matter."? hmmmmm
Ding ding ding

All lives matter is just another way to shout down the angry black folk and keep them in line. No excuses. If you sympathize or make excuses for why it's ok to say all lives matter you're part of the problem.

Nobody would dare say all lives matter in response to blue lives matter because that would be disrespectful to the heroes in uniform. But somehow it's not disrespectful to the black community because reasons. Those reasons are systemic racism and inherent biases against minorities.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Huh, it's kind of strange seeing the responses in this thread largely being against her statement, while most of the posts in the previous thread were defending it.
Granted, the click-bait title and lack of other information in the OP of the last thread may have made people feel a bit defensive, and I guess it's not like the entire board has to have the same opinion on something; It's just weird how it's almost a complete 180 here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I generally agree that it was at best a pretty dumb thing for her to say. Not really fully convinced it was a deliberate dogwhistle but she can always walk it back if she doesn't want it perceived that way.

Decent people genuinely believe all lives matter anyway, the real problem was the phrase getting hijacked by people who believe the opposite, they shouldn't be allowed to own it.

I get the frustration at having to deal with the deliberate stupidity though.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always knew she was a fake ass 'progressive' corporate Democrat. Lol. Same with Hillary and her ilk. Congrats on actively pushing PoC away.

And the establishment is always fucking puzzled as to why Democrats don't vote. THIS IS WHY. Turning your back on people and talking the same talk as Trump. Only a matter of time until we hear the Alt right being referred to as "good people"...

It shouldn't be one race gets equal treatment at a time. We should all be at that point in this day and age you would think.
As another minority your post is fucking garbage and obvious bait. And I'm pretty sure I recognize the username.

Not black BTW. But don't let that ruin your bullshit ALM agenda. Blue lives matter too right?

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Just watched the town hall, I knew what this was about before opening the thread. Really weak spot in an otherwise good event, jarringly so, hopefully the next speaker can acknowledge the grassroots properly and not treat it like a Fox News bogeyman

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I must've missed this whole controversy. Honestly, I'm not surprised coming from Pelosi so I can't even say I'm disappointed.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
The only proper way to use "all lives matter" is "Law enforcement is not treating minorities like all lives matter".

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It isn't just about winning elections. Should politics simply be about appealing to the lowest common denominator?

Black Lives Matter is the ethical position. Period.

I'm sorry if it scares white moderates and even leftists. But one racial group of people should not be targeted for violence. The phrase "all lives matter" is a direct repudiation of the fight that we face trying to end this violence against our people. The fact that one of the leaders of the Democratic Party thinks that it's ok to use that phrase in this context is despicable.

Unfortunately, in your country, it -is- about winning elections, as do you seriously believe anyone else is going to give a shit about BLM? Of course it is the moral, right and correct position. There'd be ways to make it a position to push in other countries, but in yours, no, there isn't. You push it, and you lose, and once you lose, it becomes a minority opinion that dies, and is forgotten. It isn't a new thing that black people are killed more than any other race, it's happened for decades and decades, and pushes have been made to highlight this before, but only BLM now has had any significant traction.

The sad part is, democrats are not a single issue party... They can't run on a BLM stance and hope that carries them to victory, and sadly, Democrats already believe they have Black peoples votes. They won't do much for them, as they know Black peoples other choice is another 4 years of Trump. It's terrible, disgusting and an unbelievable state of affairs, but it isn't going to get better by punishing the most left wing of the only party that fights for Black people, as Pelosi -is- the left wing, and pretty much everyone below her would push towards the centre, and even more Trumpism.

That said, I think 99% of Black Americans are fully aware of this already, which makes it all the more sad.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
When it comes to a politician, especially a leader among politicians it stops being just a simple comment but a top down statement on the the understanding of those following that leader.
So her making sure to recognize black lives matter first and working in that other peoples lives matters too, you know to cover the conservative attacks that surely would come is harmful how?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Why did she even day WLM in that quote? It's like it was a Freudian slip or something. You could take it out and the sentence would still make sense and be a good answer.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Beautifully said.

s
Why should we accept it? Black people are tired of being the Democrats Old reliable
Then pull a Kanye and get a MAGA hat

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
This only works if you believe ALM is a dog whistle to white supremacy. In actuality it has more to do with ignorance and a lack of understanding of BLM. It sure is a rallying cry for people are hateful against black people in this country, but it's also often repeated by people who simply don't understand what BLM is about.

Pelosi's comment is trying to bridge people into understanding that there is merit to BLM to ALM people. Some who parrot ALM would be supportive of BLM more so if they understood it is about injustice towards black people and that they are treated differently. Not everyone understands that sadly, which seems to be the purpose behind her comment and phrasing.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
So her making sure to recognize black lives matter first and working in that other peoples lives matters too, you know to cover the conservative attacks that surely would come is harmful how?

She should welcome the conservative attacks on the radical idea that black people deserve to not be shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.