• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mollusklover

Banned
Dec 13, 2018
This is not minor. This is about how black people are treated in this country and she's giving comfort to the cagey whites, saying that she won't shake things up.

Are you black? Are you scared for your life every time you see a cop driving behind you? Are you afraid that a minor interaction with a white person could be deadly? Are you afraid that you could just be in a Walmart parking lot and get shot by a white man simply because of your color? If not, be quiet.
I'm sure those 'cagey whites' were really waiting to hear what Nancy Pelosi had to say. And let's not play the identity game. You know nothing about my background and I know nothing of yours.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Sorry that I'm aware of the current legislative calendar?

It's not a coding thing, its that an effort to redress prior wrongs is actively being worked on and is a massive priority, not only for symbolic value in 2019, but hopefully for real value in 2021 if we can get Senate/WH control and pass it through day 1 with no alterations necessary.
It's fine, just, the question she was answering was rather straight forward and trying to turn into something that only speaks to a handful of people is not great either.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Quick, someone white-splain to OP why people should read the entire statement instead of using a click bait title. Or tell him he's sexist cause she's a woman. Or tell them how progressive you are!

Edit - Fuck, I was beaten already. Thanks for proving my point though.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Between this, Pelosi telling Trump no one wants to impeach him and the whole "let's take this private" thing, it seems like it's status quo centrism for Democratic party leadership. The contrast between leadership and the newly elected young voices in the House and Senate is astonishing and disheartening. I can't wait to vote for another out of touch, geriatric, generic white, rich white candidate with corporate backing come next presidential election. God, I can't wait for all the old people in congress to be replaced already. Half of them don't even know how the internet works, let alone the state of modern race relations/tension in America.
The Democratic Party is infinitely better than the GOP. Mainstream, ultra liberal, whatever. They're kind of the big tent party now whereas the GOP won't even clap for Reagan quotes anymore because they're theocratic authoritarian loons.

Nancy had a poorly constructed statement, yes. But she opened the statement with conceding that BLM is something that she recognizes. Someone who is purely out there with their racist dogwhistle wouldn't say that. She deserves some criticism but I feel really bad to see some people seem to be giving up and thinking they're still shut out because of this one botched quote.

Oct 28, 2017
She didn't fumble anything. This forum has a problem with powerful women let's be honest. They make any mistake, real or perceived and they get crucified. Hilary, Elizabeth Warren, Gillebrand, Pelosi, Kamala Harris, Klobuchar the list goes on and on. Meanwhile Era darlings like Beto, Biden, and Bernie (well more in 2016 he gets more heat now) are given a pass.
Have you heard Beto on BLM?

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure those 'cagey whites' were really waiting to hear what Nancy Pelosi had to say. And let's not play the identity game. You know nothing about my background and I know nothing of yours.
I'm not going to assume anything about your identity. However, I think trying to turn this racism issue into a sexism issue is disingenuous and done in bad faith. Others have pointed out that other male politicians have not gotten a pass.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
She didn't fumble anything. This forum has a problem with powerful women let's be honest. They make any mistake, real or perceived and they get crucified. Hilary, Elizabeth Warren, Gillebrand, Pelosi, Kamala Harris, Klobuchar the list goes on and on. Meanwhile Era darlings like Beto, Biden, and Bernie (well more in 2016 he gets more heat now) are given a pass.
Bernie was actually shit on a lot in 2016 and Hillary was very much supported. They both had their fans and detractors, this feels like a dumb deflection from the substance of the OP.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pelosi is good at controlling the Dem caucus behind the scenes and reading the politics of the Hill. She's a terrible extemporaneous speaker and a clumsy messenger.

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC even Hillary had no problem saying "Black Lives Matter" in a primary debate. It is 2019. How do we still have a liberal Democrat trying to avoid saying "Black Lives Matter" outright without any qualifiers? This should not be hard.

mollusklover

Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Bernie was actually shit on a lot in 2016 and Hillary was very much supported. They both had their fans and detractors, this feels like a dumb deflection from the substance of the OP.
Once she became the nominee. Then after she lost people on here couldn't wait to shit on her telling her to 'go away' which is not at all sexist. I've said my piece on here. Every time I see this crap I'm gonna comment on what I think is sexism on Era. When it happens to AOC I'll comment on that too. Unfortunately I don't think I'll convince anyone.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Era for the past few months: "STOP CALLING NANCY PELOSI A CENTRIST SHILL"

Nancy Pelosi: "all lives matter"
Mmhm, mmhm. Exactly.

I also don't appreciate the implication she's only being taken to task for being a woman. Era does have a bit of a woman problem (it has a bit of a problem accepting marginalized peoples' worries and complaints in general, even if better than most other gaming forums), but rightfully pointing out what a horrific blunder needing to clarify "Black Lives Matter because all lives matter" is, especially for a WHITE politician should not be seen as some kid of sexist attack. I know I'd personally do this for any politician. I even dropped my unequivocal support of Bernie as a result of his comments wrt black people - it wasn't even anything maliciously racist, just blatantly out of touch racist that makes him someone not ideal for me to support. At best, Pelosi's statement is the latter kind- the out of touch racism. At worst, it's a dog whistle to say "see rightists, we do care about white rights!!!"

Last edited:

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That last tweet serving straight facts. Nice OP btw, I agree with everything 100%.
Politicians just want to use us to get further ahead and then toss us aside and show their real colors once they get to where they are.
I hate living in fear while driving at night thinking what if a cop snuck up on me and feel threatened by my presence. These "All Lives Matter" folks truly are out of touch when it comes to the struggles we go through every day just living.

Last edited:

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
There's absolutey nothing wrong with them. This is an extremely polarizing set of phrases and she tried her best to tie both movements together in a peaceful way on the fly. The OP is embarrasing tbh.
The fuck does all lives matter mean as a movement? It's obvious that all lives matter, I've never met someone that said all lives don't matter, but it's obvious why the slogan caught on immediately after Black lives matter. It was a direct counter to it in the most spiteful, pedantic way, so miss me with that peaceful tie in. There is no peaceful tie in when one is trying to denounce the other.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
This kinda shit pisses me off. Pelosi said that black people should RULE THE LAND LITERALLY.

Black people should rule.

Black people should rule.

Do you understand the sentiment expressed by what she is saying here?

Or are you just gonna get caught up in fucking semantic because the far-right happened to hijack the notion of "all lives matter" even though "all lives matter" is the crux of "black lives matter" anyway.

Fucking hell progressives are gonna blow this chance aren't they.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
But because she didn't answer a question to your liking she's trash now. OK.

You are jumping to conclusions. For someone who claims to understand the dog whistling behind All Lives matter used against Black lives matter you sure are showing difficulty in seeing how being trash on a single issue isn't being equated to being trash on all issues.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is a game. If I say I'm black I win and if I say I'm white I lose. And If I ask this person if they are a woman/man/non-binary then we have another game. And we have no way of verifying. Either one of us could lie.
What I was more driving at is perspective. Do you understand the black perspective and how we are treated in this country?

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I've never met someone that said all lives don't matter
Get out more, dude. Regressive far-righters say this shit all the time, although it's usually dogwhistled so you have to read between the lines.

All lives matter is actually one of the newer dogwhistles but you'd have to be disingenuous or stupid to think Pelosi was actually dogwhistling anything here.

The OP is incorrect.

Oct 27, 2017
Bruh I agree with you completely but why would you expect Nancy Pelosi of all people to say anything different? She's the ultimate politician.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It is a game. If I say I'm black I win and if I say I'm white I lose. And If I ask this person if they are a woman/man/non-binary then we have another game. And we have no way of verifying. Either one of us could lie.
This is a weird response. Looking to "win" (or being afraid to "lose") instead of having an honest discussion isn't having a discussion in good faith.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
It's nothing new. The centrist faction of the Democratic Party has never represented minorities and the poor class with conviction. Rich Democrats like it better when they keep the aforementioned people down.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Get out more, dude. Regressive far-righters say this shit all the time, although it's usually dogwhistled so you have to read between the lines.

All lives matter is actually one of the newer dogwhistles but you'd have to be disingenuous or stupid to think Pelosi was actually dogwhistling anything here.

The OP is incorrect.
I'm talking about people that try and take the high road with an actual moral compass. Alt-righters and far righters obviously don't believe all lives matter, and some centrists too. My point is that all lives matter isn't some genius tenet of life so it's telling when it started popping up as a slogan.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nothing new. The centrist faction of the Democratic Party has never represented minorities and the poor class with conviction. Rich Democrats like it better when they keep the aforementioned people down.
The trade of rural areas for upper-income areas is actually a net upgrade on addressing these issues because a place like The OC is more liberal on social issues than the more rural districts that it's displacing in the current realignment.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It bothered me as well. I thought she was doing great recently up until that comment. I can only imagine she will receive feedback over this and realize her mistake, though it was a total f-up from someone who you'd expect would know better.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
It bothered me as well. I thought she was doing great recently up until that comment. I can only imagine she will receive feedback over this and realize her mistake, though it was a total f-up from someone who you'd expect would know better.
Agreed. As one of the few people who can stand up to the GOP she has to be better and I'm hoping she grows from this as well, I think she has what it takes to do so while also stymieing the GOP, and pushing forward reforms on a variety of issues but most especially reforms that can address police officers acting outside the law and brutalizing and murdering people.

Edit: To be clear, she should absolutely be criticized for her statement, she diminished people's suffering by trying to be clever by half (politically speaking) and that isn't something to turn a blind eye to. It was a straight forward question that deserved a straight forward answer.

Last edited:

Sonyx

Oct 26, 2017
I guess even here people will defend trashy racist statements. I don't know why I keep thinking this place is progressive.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

i think this sums it up, and that's all.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess even here people will defend trashy racist statements. I don't know why I keep thinking this place is progressive.

That era hive mind.

People real quick to tell black people to get in line because the GOP is worse, and then ignore racism and not have conversations about this shit with their friends and family because it'd be uncomfortable.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Institutional racism is so strong that a Democrat can't give a straight answer to whether black lives matter to her or not and we have to add a bullshit addendum like "All lives matter" to it. Like is it that hard for one white person with power to say "Black lives matter and we need to do better combating that institutional racism and systemic oppression that at best prevents POC from a level playing field and at worst--destroys and kills them" and even that might not be enough to get the message home.

And spare me this "Another female Dem is being taken down" bull shit. Politicians should be challenged and criticized and called out on their shit.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
BptVE1JIEAAA3dT.jpg

Please tell me you accidentally had your post from the other thread inserted by accident, and you aren't just raging at yourself lol.
I inserted my own post to back up the fact that I have been, and will continue to be, a supporter of Pelosi as Speaker of the House, but I'm also the 2nd post in this topic because that doesn't put her above being criticized for this shit.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Once she became the nominee. Then after she lost people on here couldn't wait to shit on her telling her to 'go away' which is not at all sexist. I've said my piece on here. Every time I see this crap I'm gonna comment on what I think is sexism on Era. When it happens to AOC I'll comment on that too. Unfortunately I don't think I'll convince anyone.
So do you think the OP is without merit or arguingbin bad faith. Do you think this would not be an issue if Schumer said it. I'll grant its probable she get it worse because of her gender but that doesnt take away from her gaffe.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Anyone that parrots all live matter can point me to the nearest all lives matter protest for a minority being killed. Hell even a white person

Status
Not open for further replies.