• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but like, there's not even menus in medieval times which is the closest analogue to middle earth. Inns don't have menus.
Menus, as lists of prepared foods, have been discovered dating back to the Song dynasty in China.[1] In the larger cities of the time, merchants found a way to cater to busy customers who had little time or energy to prepare an evening meal. The variation in Chinese cuisine from different regions led caterers to create a list or menu for their patrons.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's a fantasy world... if Tolkien wanted menus that's his choice.
If he wanted flying cars in his "medieval" world he could.
Yeah for sure, I'm not denying that they can't just so whatever they want. There's no way tolkein would randomly add in menus tho (and movie obvs wasn't written by him so moot pt).

I'm just saying it's interesting tho that's all.

Song dynasty starts after middle ages start ( tho overlap). But either way:

The earliest European menus, several of which survive from 1751 onwards, appear to have been for the relatively intimate and informal soupers intimes ("intimate suppers") given by King Louis XV of France at the Château de Choisy for between 31 and 36 guests. Several seem to have been placed on the table, listing four courses, each with several dishes, plus dessert.[2]

Maybe an orc could have learned of a menu from whatever the middle earth equivalent of China could be.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That the Uruk-hai know about menus indicates the existence of Orc or Goblin chefs/quartermasters who made menus to give the troops a choice of what they wanted to eat.

One wonders how high orcish civilization could climb if they weren't all murderous servants of the Dark Lord.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
We'd still be better off with that land growing plants instead of raising cows so we can get that sweet, sweet oxygen

Oct 27, 2017
PUy658X.gif
Came to see if this is first post. Glad it is.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand though, does it somehow make the dangerous gasses not happen? Or are they just not released immediately and are going to be released when the animal dies later?

The seaweed has chemicals that reduce the population of bacteria in the cow's GI tract that produce the methane the cow burps. Less of that strain of bacteria, less methane burps

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
If this works out does this put a bullet in lab grown meat development?
plant based meat use 1/10 of the energy and water that animal meat uses. Once the taste and texture is good enough animal meat won't be able to compete. I actually think plant based, not lab-grown meat is the thing to get excited about. There's a ton of research going into genetically modifying plants to produce better meat flavor.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
People will try anything and everything before giving up meat, huh
What I'm about to say is half in jest, half serious, but if you think the protests right now in Hong Kong about democracy is bad, the protests that will happen about giving up meat will set the city on fire. Even quicker than climate change will.

Cheap, high quality fresh meat is almost considered a right in that city. Even the butchers who sell to the people have this mentality that they're not just running a business, they're doing it as a service for the people hence when meat shortages happen, they still won't raise the prices too high in fear of alienating everybody and because they just feel that it's the right thing to do.

I'm not saying meat consumption shouldn't be reduced in a large scale, because it should be, but the pushback will be intense.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
plant based meats use 1/10 of the energy and water that real meat uses. Once the taste and texture is good enough meat won't be able to compete.
Really? Plant based solutions will be more expensive, and they're not even healthier than the current options. The Impossible Burger is higher in saturated fat and lower in protein to an old fashioned burger, and I can see the meat industry slamming against that particularly hard. Especially if, in order to get that much closer to the texture and taste (Because Impossible still isn't there) it would need to become even less healthy than it's current iteration.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Nice. If this was ever implimented realistically, in a few years would that refreeze all the glaciers that have melted in that time?

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
While this is an amazing use of this GIF, sadly it does miss the point.
There is still the issue of the insane amount of water needed to raise a cow, the power use and emission of the entire industry and the land needed to allow cows to graze.

As stated before it is part of the solution but I'd hardly say that this allows meat back on the menu for me.
(Don't see this as a personal attack btw, just wanting to vent my thoughts in light of the train of thought that this would give meat eating thumbs up again)

This. Though a brilliant idea, this is sadly just putting some make-up on a big ass pimple.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Plant based solutions will be more expensive, and they're not even healthier than the current options. The Impossible Burger is higher in saturated fat and lower in protein to an old fashioned burger, and I can see the meat industry slamming against that particularly hard. Especially if, in order to get that much closer to the texture and taste (Because Impossible still isn't there) it would need to become even less healthy than it's current iteration.
impossible burger is like a prototype compared to what's coming.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see something price competitive
Price is the one aspect where plant and lab grown meat will have all the advantages long term.
I expect taste will remain forever contented as people will revert to purity arguments when it gets too close. And animal meat likely becomes a premium only product sometime down the line.

Indeed™

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2019
I told my current GF about this. She didn't care, because it didnt fit her political views on meat and ranching.

I gotta stop dating hippies.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
You do you, but I disagree.
You can't disagree with facts. Even ignoring the effect on climate change, producing meat requires too much water, land & resources & has a ton of other issues to be sustainable & sensible for the number of people that we currently have on the planet, let alone the few billion more people we are going to have in the near-ish future. As many people as possible need to abandon meat altogether and the rest need to limit its consumption to an absolute minimum.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The only way we can combat climate change is by finding ways to reverse it and by finding ways to lower or eliminate the effects of our daily actions. You can't expect people to change their lifestyles to combat climate change, you have to make the lifestyle be less hazardous or create a way to dispel the hazards.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
plant based meat use 1/10 of the energy and water that animal meat uses. Once the taste and texture is good enough animal meat won't be able to compete. I actually think plant based, not lab-grown meat is the thing to get excited about. There's a ton of research going into genetically modifying plants to produce better meat flavor.

Just wait, lab grown meat hasn't even had its day yet.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
As FondsNL said, beef is still very water intensive and water scarcity will be a thing once climate change ramps up.

Meat's still going to have to leave the menu in the future.
Yup. It will be impossible to have farm animals in the future. Sadly, people will eat meat until it's no longer possible to produce it. Even though they know the damage it does.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The only way we can combat climate change is by finding ways to reverse it and by finding ways to lower or eliminate the effects of our daily actions. You can't expect people to change their lifestyles to combat climate change, you have to make the lifestyle be less hazardous or create a way to dispel the hazards.
There's simply no way to reverse or eliminate most of the bad aspects of meat production, especially with the increasing population. Whatever improvements we make (like, bigger-yielding crops) will be offset by increasing population/increasing number of people starting to eat meat. Greenhouse gases & climate change isn't the only huge issue with it. Even if every cow stopped burbing and even if all phases of meat production from growing/handling crops that goes to feed them to storing meat became 100% powered by renewable, clean energy from this day forward, those issues would still remain.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That the Uruk-hai know about menus indicates the existence of Orc or Goblin chefs/quartermasters who made menus to give the troops a choice of what they wanted to eat.

One wonders how high orcish civilization could climb if they weren't all murderous servants of the Dark Lord.
Sequel series about a Goblin chef, ala Ratatouille when??

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's simply no way to reverse or eliminate most of the bad aspects of meat production, especially with the increasing population. Whatever improvements we make (like, bigger-yielding crops) will be offset by increasing population/increasing number of people starting to eat meat. Greenhouse gases & climate change isn't the only huge issue with it. Even if every cow stopped burbing and even if all phases of meat production from growing/handling crops that goes to feed them to storing meat became 100% powered by renewable, clean energy from this day forward, those issues would still remain.

Invent ways to remove greenhouse gases, lab grown meat, genetically modified cows or feed it that seaweed to lessen the output of methane.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

nope

this doesn't solve the problem that the majority of livestock's impact is just the massive amount of fucking space they need, leading to deforestation

also an inefficient use of space in terms of food yield

and the fact that murdering animals is just cruel and unnecessary in a modern society where we already pretty much cracked lab-grown meats.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My thoughts exactly. LOTR is told from the perspective of the 'winners' with the orcs and Urukhai othered into the form of mindless beasts, necessarily so to excuse their mindless slaughter at the hands of the so-called heros. However, their familiarity with sophisticated dining conventions hints at a culture which not only rivals but surpasses that of the men, the hobbits and the ethno-fascistic Elves. Who knows what the Urukhai could have achieved had they not been bewitched by Sauron and destroyed by the philistine forces of west-middle-earth. Was Sauron even the problem? A technocractic visionary who sought only the progress with which to draw his people out of the darkness.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Republicans will look for 100% certified fart meat from now on.
MAFA!
Make Agriculture Fart Again!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Invent ways to remove greenhouse gases, lab grown meat, genetically modified cows or feed it that seaweed to lessen the output of methane.
Did you even read my post. I said climate change isn't the only issue with meat production. It pollutes our waterbodies, destroys our forests (and no, you can't just grow it back in a lot of cases after you've ruined the soil and wrecked the ecosystem/biodiversity) and requires a fuckton of energy in different phases of production, among other things. These things aren't going to go away even if they don't produce methane anymore.

Again, whatever improvements we can achieve, they will likely be offset by human population still growing by at least 2-3 billion people in the relatively near(ish) future. Plus we don't have decades to achieve these things. It needs to happen NOW.

I don't see lab grown meat as an answer either, necessarily. It doesn't come out of thin air (how much resources does its production use vs just eating shit that is grown outside? How much energy?) and people are exceptionally nitpicky when it comes to their food. I can foresee a lot of people declining lab grown meat because "it's not natural" or "it's not the same thing as a real bloody steak cut from a once-living animal". We already have products that are incredibly close to the real deal. Not 100% but close enough that a lot of people ARE fooled and most of the rest could probably get used to it they weren't so pathetically prejudiced & stuck in their ways.

This seaweed thing sounds promising, but what kind of resources does it require for mass production? As mentioned above, cows already require a huge amount of resources to feed, will this just increase that problem? Even more shit to feed to the cows, more area to waste growing shit to feed to these cows as if what they already require wasn't enough.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
We don't need to give up meat.
We could try switching to cannibalism. Would help with reigning in overpopulation too, and since presumably the old and feeble would be the first to get eaten, it would help in increasing average health and fix our problems with an ageing society too.
3045549237_824ba4ec2b.jpg

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We could try switching to cannibalism. Would help with reigning in overpopulation too, and since presumably the old and feeble would be the first to get eaten, it would help in increasing average health and fix our problems with an ageing society too.
3045549237_824ba4ec2b.jpg
What a modest proposal, I like it.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
isn't one of the biggest issues with this that climate change is affecting seaweed growth and already a problem that is at risk for dying because of global warming?