• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A sort of sequel to my last Jamma related topic, this came in the mail today:

DcqTkNJUQAEt7JC.jpg:large

This is a Sega Saturn to Jamma conversion kit. It's intended, like the MGCD Dreamcast, to let arcade operators run Sega Saturn games on arcade cabinets. This one is a bit generic, the kit itself doesn't seem to have a name or specific manufacturer but there are tons of this same kit out there for lots of systems, namely PS2 and Xbox. This specific kit seems really, really old; the components on it look much older than Xbox kits I've seen.

DcqUwNnVwAAFZLd.jpg:large

Unlike the MGCD Dreamcast to Jamma kit, this kit has some pots on the conversion board to change the R, G, and B intensity, along with a volume pot.

DcqVL5WU8AAwDAj.jpg:large

The kit interfaces to the saturn through these little custom controller boards...

DcqVZPeVMAIAaNk.jpg:large

And on the back is a normal saturn video cable. This one outputs RGB from the console.

DcqVqsNVAAAaQD2.jpg:large

Both the video output and the controller boards connect to the timer board using this edge connector.

DcqVy_qV4AUpqfy.jpg:large

Atop the timer board is this weird daughter board. I have never seen this kind of board before, and I'm not too sure what it does. Newer versions of this kit have no connection for this type of board, and thus it isn't labeled anywhere. I think it *might* be some sort of on-screen display that is genlocked over the game image, but I'm not sure. The unit doesn't have any images over gameplay, but it might need to be enabled with dipswitches. Which, speaking of...

DcqWnd2UwAImaYq.jpg:large

These dipswitches control how much time each credit gives you, and also how many credits are needed for time. I.e. 2 credits for 1 minute. I have no idea what the settings are, as finding info about this older board is near impossible. I'll have to go through them one by one to check out what settings there are.

DcqYmvVV0AAjrU1.jpg:large

The output is standard JAMMA. Adding a bit of weirdness to the mystery board, it has 4 wires soldered onto the JAMMA edge connector running to the mysterious board to a port labeled "Header". Looking up the JAMMA pinout standard, those wires are running to Player 1 and Player 2's up and down buttons (directions on the joystick). Weird....

The unit itself works much like the MGCD Dreamcast -- the unit disables the input from the controllers until there is time on the timer board, which is added by coins. Unlike the MGCD Dreamcast, this kit doesn't do any screen reading stuff to interface directly with certain games. That provides a bit of universal game access, but they are all of the "timer" variety. The thing outputs the Jamma standard - 3 buttons per player plus coin and start, plus RGB. The timer board itself is powered by the +5 from the Jamma Harness, but the saturn itself is powered by a normal outlet. 3 button only support would normally be quite a killer, but since the controller board is completely exposed, it would be an absolute snap to rig up a kickharness for extra buttons on the cabinet. Otherwise, it's still perfect for things like Fighters Megamix, which only use 3 buttons anyways.

This kit was pulled from a real cabinet and was actually used back in the 90's. The saturn used in this conversion is actually a PAL saturn, and thus it requires 220V input and I need to use a Step up converter and a terminal changing adapter (which I luckily have spares of laying around) to get it running here in the US. I could swap out an NTSC Saturn, but I don't particularly feel any need to. I dropped a PAR Saturn cart inside and thus can play the entire saturn library (although, amusingly, I have to insert credits for time to boot the game from the PAR menu).

All in all, cool as shit, if only to get Fighters Megamix working on a real deal arcade cabinet.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I love Fighters Megamix. It's so wacky.

Never knew these kind of things even existed, though I guess as a kid I would have found it super obnoxious to be charged by time rather then skill.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh neat, ok, so this thing doesn't have genlocking and thus has no ability to overlay stats about the timer or credits on screen, but when the timer is about to run out, it'll flash the screen red by messing with the red pot, turning it way up and down. I assume there is a dip switch setting to disable this if needed, but that's a pretty neat way to show the player his time is about to run out (and thus he needs to drop in another quarter).

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Fighters Megamix. It's so wacky.

Never knew these kind of things even existed, though I guess as a kid I would have found it super obnoxious to be charged by time rather then skill.

Both Sega and Nintendo offered official versions of these kinds of kits for the NES and Mega Drive, although, in those cases, they were slightly modified from normal systems so they couldn't just straight up use commercial software. The MGDC Dreamcast adapter is way more advanced, using screen watching tech to integrate more smoothly into the arcade experience than merely adding time, but that would have also been a more expensive kit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking for info on this kit, I see that modern versions for the PS3 and PS4 and Xbox One are being sold on sites like Ali Express, so these are still being made. But even those ali express listings don't tell the manufacturer. It would be so much easier if I knew who made these so I could find out some info on the dipswitches.

Porkface

Oct 28, 2017
I've got a similar PC Engine to JAMMA kit at home that I've never quite got running properly on my cabinet. I found it online and figured it'd be a cheap way to play some quality shmups (and in particular Image Fight). This Saturn one looks great! I've been to a few Malaysian arcades that have Xbox 360s hooked up to cabinets with timers running on them, which I guess is the modern equivalent.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a similar PC Engine to JAMMA kit at home that I've never quite got running properly on my cabinet. I found it online and figured it'd be a cheap way to play some quality shmups (and in particular Image Fight). This Saturn one looks great! I've been to a few Malaysian arcades that have Xbox 360s hooked up to cabinets with timers running on them, which I guess is the modern equivalent.

My arcade cabinet technically isnt jamma, its a unique wiring scheme using 2 db-15 connectors for each player and an hdmi interface. For jamma pcbs i have a home built supergun on a small table next to the cabinet that i wire up to the back of the cabinet. But for other systems, all i need is rgb out and a controller to cannibalize and i can rig up a db15 connection with my own pinout and use a framemeister for video. That said, i have a tennokoe 2 bank for my pc engine that i hacked up to tap the rgb pinout, so i could probably rig it up to my cabinet without much difficulty. Wouldn't have any coin slot integration though.