Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
This is what I was saying the other day but someone said that any shots to the head are dangerous bur these thin sheets bend upon impact, it's like being hit with air but still has a nice impactful feel.

Nothing takes you out of the moment in WWE more than when you know a headshot would be the goto move in reality and then they move into position just to get hit on the back, it just doesn't sell it for me.

I also loved that when Omega got thrown off the chips there was no padding on the floor (at least from what I could see) where as in the WWE it's like huge impact bags that aren't even hidden anymore.

There are lots of things about this promotion that make WWE look poor in comparison but one of the major points is the "gritty feel" this has in comparison to the overly sanitized product that WWE is these days.

Yeah, some things are a little too controlled over in the fed to the point where the audience isn't gonna believe in it. I absolutely agree that chair shots to the head should be gone though. There is no safety there at all and they will mess you up bad. I always tell workers that want to incorporate a chair that I will not do headshots with them and use only on my back or stomach.

I didn't watch the show last night, but from the small clips I been seeing on Facebook it already has the feel of "Pro Wrasslin" which is sorely needed nowadays.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017

They said they already know and seen tons of mistakes but are going to go over the show and look to fix the blemishes in production. Good stuff.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Yeah, some things are a little too controlled over in the fed to the point where the audience isn't gonna believe in it. I absolutely agree that chair shots to the head should be gone though. There is no safety there at all and they will mess you up bad. I always tell workers that want to incorporate a chair that I will not do headshots with them and use only on my back or stomach.

I didn't watch the show last night, but from the small clips I been seeing on Facebook it already has the feel of "Pro Wrasslin" which is sorely needed nowadays.

I agree with you, chair shots to the head are a no go (unless they can make chairs out of the same material they are using for the trashcan lids.)

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People on twitter REALLY are mad for the chair thing.

Thing is, probably Haitch might be really flattered, because the chair spot is the more Haitch thing to do.

Also it's funny those people on twitter only remembers that 3 minute spot and not any mention of the incredible memorable match that takes place after that.

People need to take it easy and see all of thiat is FnP.

As exciting as all of this is, it is still circus carny sports at the end of the day. Taking shots at each other like that is just a part of the fun.

Its not like they are creating propaganda for a genocidal regime or something.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So i just watched the entire Kenny and Jericho match again with fresh awake eyes and mind and you know it's actually really decent. Highlight? no that's still Rhodes vs Rhodes but man it's decent more than decent. Jericho is showing the smallest signs of ages but the whole thing Moxley included is a big entertaining watch and spot fest

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So i just watched the entire Kenny and Jericho match again with free awake eyes and mind and you know it's actually really decent. Highlight? no that's still Rhodes vs Rhodes but man it's decent more than decent. Jericho is showing the smallest signs of ages but the whole thing Moxley included is a big entertaining watch and spot fest
Yeah it was pretty good. It just followed two amazing matches so it was unable to stand out as much as it could.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I want AEW succeed big time as I hate what wwe has become but seeing people call this show the second coming is real wierd. The only decent matches were the Kip Sabien v guvara match, the Joshi match, the bloodbath and the bucks v bros match.

They really need to fuck off with the crowd reaction shots. Tha isn't sports like and will look super corny to the normal person watching the show.

I did like the highlights after each match.

Also excalibur was a great get. Very knowledgeable and knew when to kick it up a gear and sell the stuff in the ring.

2 things though. What was the new bucks move? Marvez said it was the move in the corner about three quarters of the way into the match but excalibur said it was an old move they used to do. Also what was with the cracker barrel?

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want AEW succeed big time as I hate what wwe has become but seeing people call this show the second coming is real wierd. The only decent matches were the Kip Sabien v guvara match, the Joshi match, the bloodbath and the bucks v bros match.

They really need to fuck off with the crowd reaction shots. Tha isn't sports like and will look super corny to the normal person watching the show.

Also excalibur was a great get. Very knowledgeable and knew when to kick it up a gear and sell the stuff in the ring.

2 things though. What was the new bucks move? Marvez said it was the move in the corner about three quarters of the way into the match but excalibur said it was an old move they used to do. Also what was with the cracker barrel?

It was the corner spot as far as I know

cracker barrel was a promo bit they did catering and stuff iirc but it was a little botch cause they couldn't get it out the ring fast enough.

That said I do disagree with those 4 matches being the only good matches nothing here was under the quality of the last wrestlemania's matches for example if they have at least WM quality and exceed that by definition it's a great PPV

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
If I have a complaint about post-WWE Jericho is that he spends too much time outside the ring. Obviously Cody had that little bit where he jumped into the crowd and got water, but the Rhodes match largely kept in the ring. Brawls outside have their place, but I prefer less of it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Thing is, probably Haitch might be really flattered, because the chair spot is the more Haitch thing to do.

Also it's funny those people on twitter only remembers that 3 minute spot and not any mention of the incredible memorable match that takes place after that.
Well its the only thing they can cling on to to shit on AEW.

First it was "they will never sell out a show" to "they are just a t shirt company who don't have a show" and now that they have a major show, billionaire backing them, big stars including defections and just held an overwhelmingly very well received ppv, they need something to try and insult them.

Because aew taking one dig at wwe is apparently enough to write them off yet they probably go straight back to watching the revival rubbing their arse on the mat.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO

If you hear Cody talk about it in the post PPV scrum, it makes complete sense.

BTW I hope they keep those around I think they will...awesome to see and super refreshing.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well its the only thing they can cling on to to shit on AEW.

First it was "they will never sell out a show" to "they are just a t shirt company who don't have a show" and now that they have a major show, billionaire backing them, big stars including defections and just held an overwhelmingly very well received ppv, they need something to try and insult them.

Because aew taking one dig at wwe is apparently enough to write them off yet they probably go straight back to watching the revival rubbing their arse on the mat.
Or go right back to losing there shit over HHH taking shots at their "pissant company"

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Best wrestling show I've seen in a very long time. I'm not sure how you go back to watching WWE after that. NXT is good, but it's bittersweet watching their matches, because you know that this is the best it's ever going to get for them before they're wished away into the cornfield.

If they can maintain this level of quality, then I think this T-shirt company has a legitimate shot at eclipsing WWE, much less being a strong competitor.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I think every match on the main card met or exceeded my personal expectations, except maybe Jericho/Omega and that's only because their first match set a very high bar. It was a 7 match card and all 7 matches were at least good. There are promotions I love and support financially every month (which at the moment is STARDOM, NJPW, Beyond Wrestling and CHIKARA) that can sometimes only deliver 2 match cards. Double or Nothing hit it out of the park and signposted a new direction for mainstream American-based wrestling.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
IMO the Rhodes match and the Bucks match were both 5 stars, the Best Friends match was up there too

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Best wrestling show I've seen in a very long time. I'm not sure how you go back to watching WWE after that. NXT is good, but it's bittersweet watching their matches, because you know that this is the best it's ever going to get for them before they're wished away into the cornfield.

If they can maintain this level of quality, then I think this T-shirt company has a legitimate shot at eclipsing WWE, much less being a strong competitor.
Yeah that's why I am reluctant to get into weekly NXT TV. Takeover is great but I don't want to get too invested into people who will probably be ruined in a year or two. If the people who are regularly on Takeovers will get ruined I have no reason to expect better from ones who are only ever on NXT TV.

sharkkiee

Aug 6, 2018
I have watched a LOT of ppvs in my life wwf/ecw/tna/wwe/wcw/roh/nxt this was up there with one of the best all round every match being good to amazing...good start from the company, looking forward to what they deliver over the next year or so.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
The referee standing between the Bucks and Lucha Bros before their match, giving them the rundown with the AAA tag titles in his hands was a really nice touch, and super refreshing. I hope they do that with all of their title matches in the company. Really gives the match a big fight feel, and comes off more authentic in my eyes.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Seeing highlights on YouTube, my takeaway is that Khan should kidnap NJPW's camera crew.

Not that camerawork was awful, but maaaan Im way too accustomed to those fine low angle ringside shots and the general scarcity of needless cuts.

That aside, it seems like DoN was beyond lit. Really happy for the crew, all the workers faced with a new opportunity and fans of this medium.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
D7gL1jsWsAEN8gc.jpg

D7dv4IyVsAEVJBm.jpg

Sometimes wrestling is not bad :)

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They completely delivered last night, the storytelling, different styles of matches. And that fucking title STRAP, my god.

Joshiis, MJF, and Lucha Bros stoke the show last night.

I literally only have one complaint, stop lighting the crowd, even WWE realized it was lame and stopped doing it for the 3rd hour.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Is blood all it takes for people to think a match was great? I thought Cody/Dustin was 3.5 stars at best. A legit great match was the one that followed it.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

I really dug the opener too. The Best Friends match also had some hype spots, though it didn't always flow and there were some awkward sequences.

I think people are excited about a show that feels new yet familiar, and which is paced briskly. There was a feeling of nostalgic optimism last night, but not like TNA when it first hit. This feels like a NEW product with a fresh vision that still feels familiar all the same.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Is blood all it takes for people to think a match was great? I thought Cody/Dustin was 3.5 stars at best. A legit great match was the one that followed it.
Your anti-Cody stance that you've made abundantly clear in many of your prior posts kinda distorts your view a bit too.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
One of the biggest things I loved about what I saw (from watching clips), was ACTUAL WRESTLING MOVES! It wasn't just a bunch of punches and kicks with the occasional suplex, like WWE has devolved into.

Seeing a piledriver almost brought a tear to my eye. lol

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Dustin Fucking Rhodes pulled off a Code Red at 50. The emotion and drama made that match so much more than the near fall party that the Lucha Bros. vs. Bucks was.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Vince created this with his shitty handling of WWE.

He thought he would release Cody and have him back in 2-3 years with a hardcore fanbase to job him out to the guys he wants over. Instead he fucked himself and brought competition that knows how WWE works and can poach talent from them.

*A wild Moxley appears*

One of the biggest things I loved about what I saw (from watching clips), was ACTUAL WRESTLING MOVES! It wasn't just a bunch of punches and kicks with the occasional suplex, like WWE has devolved into.

Seeing a piledriver almost brought a tear to my eye. lol
I want to virtue signal this because even the Young "Super Kick Party" Bucks did them only when needed.

It was so refreshing.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I see Hangman taking the first championship tbh. After that who knows if they get Punk and they get PAC the landscape changes entirely.

Hell there's still potential for wild card acquisitions like Nick Aldis who could shake it up too.

Also we know Marty Scrull has a spot open for him maybe he will top the mid card with a second title against people like Havoc, Janela and Allin.
Nah, I can't see Hangman winning. He wasn't even originally beating Pac.

Jericho will win the title, Kenny will beat Moxley and then we'll be all set up for Kenny/Jericho 3 on AEW's third big show (which should be after TV starts, so they can build it up even further).

Also, please no Nick Aldis.

Jericho needs to go. He is too old. Get the strap on someone else.
lol nah

Watch Okada carry him to a 5 star match next month.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Meltz, Jericho should be the first champ for 2 reasons : the money is in the chase (for Kenny) and Jericho is a big name and it'll give more prestige to the title early on.

Kenny needs to go on a crazy win streak now, building to his title win.