• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Can we talk about how great Cody's entrance costume was? Like Vergil and Alucard had a baby.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Remember we still really don't know the scenario around PAC dragon gate could have became shitty with him. If he was abandoing AEW i don't see why he had that Hangman match at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda wish Jericho was in shape. It makes Kenny look kinda bad to lose to a out of shape 48 year old.

Interested to see what a motivated, unrestricted Moxley can do with Omega.
Mot at all. The mainstream see the more recognisable name, Jericho, pick up the win. Omega, bloodied and defeated, comes back down the line and picks up the revenge victory to take the series 2-1. By this time the wider audience have gotten to know Omega and are fully behind him. He's more over than before.

Clever booking, really.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Shame Cody got his entrance just a wee bit wrong
Shoulda come down the ramp with this leisurely jog.
alucard-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-run-animation.gif

And then grinded Schmoos under the ring for a crissaegrim to deal with the throne he would then backdash to.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, he was the perfect choice to be their main play by play guy. Love his work in NJPW and PWG.
He was great. Though he committed a great sin of not knowing who Maki Itoh was during the Joey Ryan show WrestleMania weekend.

JR during the Cody/Dustin match was really good and gives me confidence that as he comes to know the wrestlers he'll be good in AEW.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
Excalibur really needs to dial it down, was he doing a Mauro Ranallo impression? dude was screaming every wrestling move like someone kicked him in the balls.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Mot at all. The mainstream see the more recognisable name, Jericho, pick up the win. Omega, bloodied and defeated, comes back down the line and picks up the revenge victory to take the series 2-1. By this time the wider audience have gotten to know Omega and are fully behind him. He's more over than before.

Clever booking, really.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've found wrestling themes in general pretty weak the past 10 years or so. I need everyone to have a theme which makes me pop when they run in to make a save lol.
It's gone from Jim Johnson's simple and catchy melodies/beats to licensed vocal songs.

There's a place for both, but you can't just take a random song and make it a wrestling theme. Gotta have the song made with a wrestler in mind (HHH, Benoit) or have it tie in to a character's gimmick (most of CM Punk's themes going back to his indie days, Victoria's Tatu theme)

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's gone from Jim Johnson's simple and catchy melodies/beats to licensed vocal songs.

There's a place for both, but you can't just take a random song and make it a wrestling theme. Gotta have the song made with a wrestler in mind (HHH, Benoit) or have it tie in to a character's gimmick (most of CM Punk's themes going back to his indie days, Victoria's Tatu theme)

Maybe if they just add Austin's glass breaking to the start of everyone's theme then I'll be happy.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing show, some issues but nothing that shouldn't be fixed come weekly TV.
I knew it was going to be better than standard WWE but it still blew me away.

Cody and Dustin was MOTN, even though other matches had better spots or were higher tempo. It had the story, the symbolism, the tension, the moments, the emotion, it's going to go down in history as a big moment in AEW and wrestling for sure.
I'm not a fan of blade jobs like that where there's just literal pools of blood all over and I had to look away a fair bit but man it made me root so hard for Dustin.
He's an amazing worker for his age.

The promo made me choke up, Dusty would be proud.

I'm fine with Jericho winning and if he becomes champ but the Judas Effect needs to go, he can barely pull it off and it's a shit finisher anyway.
He also needs to work on his body because he looks real rough.
DDP was there, ask for his help.

Moxley actually enjoying himself instead of being stuck with hokey shit was good to see.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This was by far the most insufferable part of live watching this thread.
Do you also moan about this shit when people kneel during the anthem at other events? For a lot of people the anthem represents a lot of awful shit, there's nothing wrong with people complaining about it.

I'm fine with Jericho winning and if he becomes champ but the Judas Effect needs to go, he can barely pull it off and it's a shit finisher anyway.
Yeah the Judas Effect was lame as hell. It was such a boring way to end an otherwise good match.

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Jericho looked really out of shape. I hope he can work on that. But damn was that a good show. It reminded me of everything I loved about wrestling. I hope HHH was taking notes. Vince needs to go, bad.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Is there any word on when the TV show is coming? I need it immediately.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It looked more like he stumbled into Omega rather than spun and hit him with a strike. It made an already laughable finisher, especially with that promo, even more of a joke.
It felt like they needed an easy to do finished that Jericho could suddenly end the match with when he was too gassed to go on.

Jericho looked really out of shape. I hope he can work on that. But damn was that a good show. It reminded me of everything I loved about wrestling. I hope HHH was taking notes. Vince needs to go, bad.
You can bet Vince is yelling "WHY CAN'T WE PUT ON SHOWS LIKE THAT" to his upper staff while also shooting down every one of their ideas still right now.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Excalibur commentator needs to go, I don't even know when he's talking unless someone said his name, the 3 man booth just doesn't work

But JR was totally in form by the time the Rhodes match started, glad to hear the GOAT on the mic again

Was Excalibur the one screaming the Big Moves of every match?

If yes, then no. Excalibur Energy + JR making the calls in the right moments was a really fun combination to hear.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So is he a one-note gimmick?

Kinda wish Jericho was in shape. It makes Kenny look kinda bad to lose to a out of shape 48 year old.

Interested to see what a motivated, unrestricted Moxley can do with Omega.

After the match, and before Moxley emerged, I thought that maybe there was some kind of long term story being introduced. The entrance video had a downcast vibe, his entrance gear wasn't as elaborate as his big NJPW matches, the music didn't seem right, and his overall energy and moveset in the ring seemed to be reduced. He was going to put on a good match, but something would seem off the entire time.

I thought maybe it was the opening chapter in a longer storyline.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So are we going to go with a storyline that Kenny is losing his touch?

Between eating the loss to Don Callis (which is canon now I guess) and losing to a limp elbow from Jericho in the worst shape of his career, feels like thats a logical place to take it. Especially since he's probably going to lose to Moxley soon too.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana

Between eating the loss to Don Callis (which is canon now I guess) and losing to a limp elbow from Jericho in the worst shape of his career, feels like thats a logical place to take it. Especially since he's probably going to lose to Moxley soon too.

kenny pulling an okada after okada lost to kenny. just needs balloons too

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah and then Kota is going to join AEW and show him he still has it in a series of otherworldly tag matches in which Kota is holding back and push him to win the world title only for Kota to reveal he wanted the title all along but wanted to beat the best to get it to prove to everyone he is the best in the world.

/dream

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Another thing I don't like about the possibility of Jericho is that I would want the first champion to have a lengthy reign and thats probably not going to happen with Jericho.

Having the first run only be like three months or something would be kind of disappointing but at the same time, thats about how long I could stand Jericho with it.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you also moan about this shit when people kneel during the anthem at other events? For a lot of people the anthem represents a lot of awful shit, there's nothing wrong with people complaining about it.

Yeah the Judas Effect was lame as hell. It was such a boring way to end an otherwise good match.
It's whiney and completely tone deaf to expect or be surprised that a sporting event actually omits the national anthem.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's whiney and completely tone deaf to expect or be surprised that a sporting event actually omits the national anthem.
In the US maybe. Most countries don't do it so yeah, foreigners are gonna find it weird 🤷‍♀️ It's really not hard to understand.
As others mentioned at the time, other wrestling events don't do it either generally.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the US maybe. Most countries don't do it so yeah, foreigners are gonna find it weird 🤷‍♀️ It's really not hard to understand.
As others mentioned at the time, other wrestling events don't do it either generally.
Hopefully people find less aggressive ways to shit on a different countries harmless customs next time.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I don't like about the possibility of Jericho is that I would want the first champion to have a lengthy reign and thats probably not going to happen with Jericho.

Having the first run only be like three months or something would be kind of disappointing but at the same time, thats about how long I could stand Jericho with it.

Like i said yesterday, probably part of the vote of confidence of TNT is because they know their inaugural Champion and face of the company will be a big star (like jericho or mox), at least in the first months.

I know people saying "LOLTNA" but, TNA did that because Jeff Jarret sucks and TNA in its beginnings never had a big hot ex-wwe star like Jericho in AEW.

I know Cody/Omega/Bucks wont take that route in the first months just because.