• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
This woman's division is okay. But it's clear Riho is capable of far better matches than her opponents are. And somehow I don't think Britt is going to be able to keep up next week.

As for the show... I mean it's a nice pace and it flows relatively well, but it needs something between matches. It's quite dry in that regard.

But what save it is Tony. That was a brilliant move because he is brilliant as the middle man on commentary who nudges Jr and Excalibur into position. He's so, so good in that role, throwing out little tidbits that help get guys over and also being really good at ad libs (re the Vader bomb.)

I do wonder how long crowds will dig the Young Bucks though, given at the moment they're wrestling one type of match every week and doing absurd stuff like the triple Northern Lights into the two person Nothern Lights. Its good those two have charisma, because they aren't showing much variety

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder how long crowds will dig the Young Bucks though, given at the moment they're wrestling one type of match every week and doing absurd stuff like the triple Northern Lights into the two person Nothern Lights. Its good those two have charisma, because they aren't showing much variety

I think people are literally here for the absurd stuff lol

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
So now that I've seen how the draft plays out and how Smackdown turns out to be under Fox, it's really strange. I'm pretty tired of pro wrestling but at the same time I'm energized and engaged like I haven't been in years (save for one or two WWE bright spots). I think if AEW wasn't around, this finally might have been the time I've said good bye or at least taken a break from the sport.
Anyway, my Network subscription (had it since day one) has run out and been replaced with AEW Plus.

The only thing AEW needs are one or two more exciting female wrestlers. Women's wrestling had kept me watching over the last two years to begin with, so I think that's the one area they can and need to improve. The goal should be to have two viable women's matches on weekly TV and they're not there yet. It's understandable though since it's still the early days.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
THIS!

I really love this concept of storylines involving warring factions and all the craziness that can bring.
I haven't watched njpw but yeah I imagine it's also a good way to make feuds and keep guys off chasing titles too. Also helps to avoid giving away PPV tier singles matches on TV.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I haven't watched njpw but yeah I imagine it's also a good way to make feuds and keep guys off chasing titles too. Also helps to avoid giving away PPV tier singles matches on TV.
They really don't do a good job at NJPW of playing up the factions tbh. It feels like the factions are there to facilitate the 1v1 rivalries rather than the other way around.

Only place where being a faction even becomes a factor is when facing Bullet Club cause they're assholes and will cheat constantly.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They really don't do a good job at NJPW of playing up the factions tbh. It feels like the factions are there to facilitate the 1v1 rivalries rather than the other way around.

Only place where being a faction even becomes a factor is when facing Bullet Club cause they're assholes and will cheat constantly.

Faction wars are way better at DG and I want AEW to go that route. They have Cima who is a legend of DG and the Bucks who worked there and know the style so I'm sure they will do some great faction wars later. Besides do people really want AEW to repeat one on one a million times? That is one of the worst aspects of modern WWE.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Last thing AEW needs to take from NJPW is having a million tag matches.
Disagree

Tag matches build to the singles matches and help preserve the "specialness" of those singles matches when they actually happen later on.

They have 52 weeks of TV to book per year. If you book a bunch of singles matches, you quickly run out of fresh matchups and then run into the same problem that people criticize WWE for.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I wonder if Angelico/Evans were originally meant to be in the tag tournament but Jurassic Express took their spot? Luchasauras wasn't even signed until after DoN but he ended up being such a hit that I wonder if that caused them to shift plans.

WMBT27

Oct 25, 2017
Was at the gas station this morning and could hear some one blaring some music as they pulled in.

When they opened the car door I heard it...

It was Judas, friends

Unless I hear "Shock the System" at another local gas station by the end of the day I'm calling it. The war is over.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
EGoLgosXYAAR3Q1.jpg:small

EGoIG3XWsAAyFdZ.jpg:small

EGoEoMMX0AIPQ2V.jpg:small

EGoAF7cWkAEtLjv.jpg:small

EGoAF7cWoAEUMeq.jpg:small

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Wwe cancelled my network sub for some reason, saved me the hassle haha.

I'll get fite tv.

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea Omega/Page vs PAC/Moxley had been announced. What a match that is. It does suggest Page and PAC have unfinished business, though I thought Hangman was heading for a feud with Hager.

Both Omega and Page could really do with a win here, though I think PAC and Mox will be victorious.

Next Wednesday's card is PPV worthy. Such good booking.

Got my fingers crossed for Jurassic Express though I feel like Private Party already had the upset win for this tournament.

Just watching the last show, I'm late on this one.

Would that be a hot take if I say that the Judas Effect must be the lamest fucking finisher I've seen in my entire life watching wrestling?

It's really fucking bad, holy shit.
In a world in which we've seen the worm, the cobra, Mr Socko and the people's elbow I'm going to assume you're intentionally exaggerating.

Last edited:

RBH

Nov 2, 2017

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Just watched 2nd week and the ending was everything I hate about pro-wrestling in the states. One guy after another running down the ramp is so lame.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I listened to the beastcast and don't remember them talking about an AEW game. Was it during the talk of the CHIKARA game? I must have zoned out.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Had no idea Omega/Page vs PAC/Moxley had been announced. What a match that is. It does suggest Page and PAC have unfinished business, though I thought Hangman was heading for a feud with Hager.

I think we may see both. Tony K had hinted there might be another Page/Pac match since Pac cheated to win, so that feud could still use a blowoff. The thing with Hager is that he's probably not going to have any actual matches until after his MMA fight on 10/25 and even then they may not want to set anything into stone yet in case he were to get hurt in the fight.

This goes to one of the things I think they've been doing well, which is involving people in different angles simultaneously. That's a good throwback to the Attitude Era,
as opposed to recent times where the convention has been you only have one defined feud at any given time.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
AEW need to fight the urge to get too large too soon. A game is a stupid idea.

I couldn't disagree more. The game probably wouldn't release until late 2020 at the earliest. It's great marketing for them actually because a true successor to the AKI games is something people have been clamoring for a couple decades, so in addition to serving gamers something they've been desperately wanting, that's another way to get more eyes on their product.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
The only reason I'm hesitant about this video game stuff is that this early on it will probably be low budget, and make them look like an inferior company.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
AEW need to fight the urge to get too large too soon. A game is a stupid idea.
What a bizarre take.

If anything, a well made video game would put more eyeballs on the company, particularly from people who don't watch wrestling in the first place.

The AKI N64 video games are proof of that, as a lot of people started watching wrestling or first became interested in wrestling because of how much fun they had with Revenge, No Mercy, etc. Even when threads have been made about the AKI games here on ResetERA or on NeoGAF over the years, there were quite a few people who shared that same sentiment.

There's been a wide open gap in the wrestling video game market for literally years now, and this would be one way for AEW to further establish themselves.

Last edited:

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
The only reason I'm hesitant about this video game stuff is that this early on it will probably be low budget, and make them look like an inferior company.
I completely understand this mindset but if you've seen the screenshots of WWE 2K20 floating around then it's hard to argue they can look much inferior lol.

2K can't even get The Rock's face right!

jml

Mar 9, 2018
The good news for AEW is that their game would be compared to WWE 2k which is atrocious. If AEW has a game that actually plays well and sells for less than $60 it won't reflect poorly on them at all.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Why would they have a low budget game? What about anything they've done suggests they'll be low budget? They're on a major cable network with big production values (though admittedly some production growing pains). We're talking about a modern successor to the classic AKI games. This has potential to be huge for them, especially considering how terrible the WWE games are.

Status
Not open for further replies.