• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
The whole game is pretty lifeless and takes itself way too seriously. Also that random stuff breaking fake suspense bullshit that started with U2 is throughout the series. I loved the reboot but with Rise and Shadow the franchise got progressively worse.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I finished SOTTR not too long ago and it's wasn't like I had a bad experience with it overall, but the problem with the story is that it's so much "having your cake and eating it too." I remember seeing threads about Lara being this reprehensible character and I originally shrugged them off as them missing the point, but the more I got through the game--it's clear that this game wants very much for you to consider the possibility of Lara being the real villain (or at least very much as culpable) but instead of learning from it everything is just "TRINITY TRINITY TRINITY" and nothing about growing as a character (in fact, the game's actual antagonist has a better case for what he does than Lara) really makes it through by the end. It's just wrapped up neatly in the most awkward unearned tone.

But it's a gorgeous game (played on an Xbox One X) with some areas worth exploring (although one challenge tomb was completely broken and unsolvable for me) with gameplay that honestly feels outdated. Shadow is kind of outclassed by both Uncharted The Lost Legacy and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
Ok, in all seriousness, when was the last time Square delivered a game that the consensus was that the story was actually good? I'm not talking masterpiece here, but when you finished the game you thought, well damn, the story was actually good. Life is Strange was the last time for me and well... that was 2015 and let's be honest, the game is pretty much only story so, it had to have an actually enjoyable story which I would still give an 8/10 as a game and Nier has to be the other one, right? But I haven't played it yet, and that's what, 2 games in the last, I don't know, 10 years? only Yoko Taro in an entire company can write? Square needs to hire good writers like yesterday.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
The story and graphics were amazing, I am one of the people who think all the tomb raider games in recent times were excellent.

I was however surprised at the uncharted games, I read everyone on here and the old place's opinions on that series so had extremely high expectations but found them to be not as good as the tomb raider games storytelling wise.

Opinions are neither right or wrong but different.

I seem to be happy with the storytelling and hope my double dipping with the 3 game on both xbox and steam will help with their future decisions to make more.

How is the even possible? Seriously? The writing in TR is fucking terrible across the board as are Laura's sexual moans and grunts throughout the games.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
It seems more than any other medium, when writing is bad in a video game, it's bad. For instance, the writing in, say, Dead Cells is eye-rollingly bad, but it's forgivable since it's an indie title, whereas something with a massive budget like TR is inexcusable.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Isn't this the game that advertised a sequence with wanton violence against large eels? No surprise there --
48897.jpg

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
TR2013>ROTTR>>>SOTR. The moment the scene where Lara became badass just to become a little girl again anwithin 10-15 min, ruined it for me for the rest of the game. Where are my dual pistols?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I still can't get over that 90 minute stretch where Lara goes from being a tomb raider to The Predator and then literally rising from the ashes like Phoenix and then turning into Terminator and destroying everything in sight.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
On RoTTR:

I played it on the X as part of Games Pass. Half way through, I just could not bring myself to complete it. Had a to take long break before I could come back and complete it. The story, while utterly predictable from the first major cutscene that takes place in London, as to who the antagonist would be, got downright nonsensical near the third act. Worse still was the script, which while not egregiously bad, was more often than not simply either dull or try hard.

Between a lot of notable copy pasted assets, bugs, some performance issues and animation jank it fell short of my expectations coming from TR2013. It does have stand out moments but they were fewer than anticipated. Over all, at times, it came off as a rough-around-the-edges budget title.

Suffice it to say, after finishing the game, I had no desire to play SoTR.

Are you telling me, it is worse?

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Open world jank was completely unneeded in the following games. Yea the 3rd game is the worst of the bunch.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Its easily the best of the trilogy. Theres actual exploration, puzzles and platforming. And less focus on boring combat.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
They don't how how to write Lara at all. They could be doing so many new and cool things with her. Its kinda bizarre that they don't. I'm open to a interesting interpretation of her.
I only played TR2013 and I didn't like it very much, so I'm not saying any of this in defense of what is no doubt awful writing, but I had an interesting conversation with someone about Lara in the reboots recently.

I voiced my frustration with TR2013 constantly focusing on Lara suffering and how everything had to be really difficult for her and as a result it couldn't focus on her becoming an adventurer and doing what she wanted to do for her own fulfillment.

The person I was talking with basically said that she didn't think they could go he uncharted/Indiana Jones route because if they showed a female protagonist murdering hundreds of people and then being excited/cracking jokes she would have been perceived as an awful/insane person.

But writing in general is just something that the game industry as a whole has a super low bar for. If something reaches the level of B movie dialog, gamers are ecstatic because it's just so much better than what we usually get.

In general I think the game industry as a whole has to get past this hubris that anyone can be a writer. Writers get paid for a reason. Storytelling is a craft that has been honed for most of human history.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, but the moment when Jonah turns to Lara and goes, "You know Lara, we really are the Raiders of Tombs", I was moved to tears.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game at launch, I'm one of those idiots that paid MSRP for a square enix mediocre game (NEVAR again) and hated the writing. I think its much worse than Rise. Its just super clunky, the flow of the game is really bad, there is little to no immersion, and there is a major disconnect between the skills, story, and pacing. It doesn't feel like the end of a trilogy at all, it almost feels like the beginning in so many ways. The bad guys are so lame too, and thats one of the cornerstones of any good game imo. Well, the weird underground people were very cool but got kinda boring by the end.

Its one of those games where you know another year of polish under a more solid director could have probably vastly improved the game but they didn't have the talent nor the time. Its a shame really, Lara definitely deserved better.

In a few years I'm sure we'll have another Tomb Raider reboot including a movie/TV show, hopefully they can plan out something more cohesive.

One other thing that really detracted the game for me, and its totally unfair I admit, is the 100% trophy requiring you to finish the game at the hardest difficulty. That removes most of the save points and you will have to go back 30-90+ mins every time you die. And its far, far too easy to die in this game to really STUPID shit and it gets super frustrating and annoying. I realize its a bit unfair, nobody has to 100% the game, people who do 100% will feel a sense of accomplishment, etc but I traded the game in disgust after losing an hour multiple times and just wanting to burn the disc.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
yup story is boring

I've had the game since launch and I'm 2-3 hours in and I haven't gone further because I can't be bothered

look good and is basically a stress testing and benchmarking application now

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
How is the even possible? Seriously? The writing in TR is fucking terrible across the board as are Laura's sexual moans and grunts throughout the games.

Sexual moans and grunts.... Really?

I firmly believe that some people are unable to like tomb raider due to them liking uncharted.

The best thing I ever did to quell any fan boyism was go buy all 3 companies systems plus a pc.

Love games not companies, I say.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
The Tomb Raider reboot sequels never addressed the flaws of the reboot and I'm guessing that's why each one has done worst than the previous one.

The story, the writing, the characters, they've sucked every game and instead of trying to improve them they ignored the criticism and just went "make the world bigger, fill it with more icons".

Everyone is so bland, forgettable or unlikable, I had no emotional connection to any of the characters and when the games formula is AAA cookie cutter as it gets, well people are going to go for a similar game that does also deliver on those important things.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Its even worse when you hear Lara narrate the letters and documents she finds in the most sleepy, disinterested, monotone voice. Actually made me stop exploring for those collectibles.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I can't stand about the trilogy is how game stopping, pace breaking the game is with all the collectibles. It's could just imagine Camila being bored out of her mind reading those things.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

I firmly believe that some people are unable to like tomb raider due to them liking uncharted.

The best thing I ever did to quell any fan boyism was go buy all 3 companies systems plus a pc.

But, like all Tomb Raiders and Uncharteds are on PS4 so what's this fanboyism?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I wish they didn't backpedal on holding her to account for looting ancient civilisation. Was kinda hoping she would transition into anti hero or antagonist role by the end.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, opinions and all but man you truly are a devout fan of TR if your take away was that when comparing the two, especially The Lost Legacy.

I actually havent played lost legacy yet, but I have played 1-4. Is LL that much of a jump? Nate's gunplay always felt sloppy to me.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Let's be real here, TR has never been a very strongly written series (The first Reboot if you ask me is worse than Shadow by miles in that regard). While that doesn't excuse things, a TR game with exceptional writing will be the outlier if it ever happens and I hope it does.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had fun with the game, finished it including all side missions some days ago, the ending was nice and happy too with
lara going home, but it was kinda crap how it went like "oh shit, I actually have a home, gonna go home now, also gotta take my butler out of the freezer"

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I actually havent played lost legacy yet, but I have played 1-4. Is LL that much of a jump? Nate's gunplay always felt sloppy to me.

No the gun controls felt similar. I do agree that TR's gunplay did feel better to me than Uncharted. However, in the greater scheme of things when assessing all areas of development (visuals, level design, AI, performance, encounter design, melee etc), to me, Uncharted series is well and truly ahead of the rebooted series. There was never a moment for me where I wanted to put the controller down and felt burnt out when I was playing through any of the Uncharted games unlike the aforementioned RoTTR.

All that said, more power to you if you enjoy the reboot.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
This one knows what's up.

But yeah, the writing has been terrible since the first reboot.
A shame really, because they were written by Rhianna Pratchett, whose father is my favorite author ever.
I'm starting to think the awful writing is less of the writers fault and more shitty directing and story planning. Uncharted stories are nothing to write home about, what saves them are memorable characters but TR has neither.

Also, hope I enjoy Shadow considering it focuses more on exploration this go around. Rise is an okay game and TR2013 was great. The issues are evident but I still had lots of fun with them.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The 1st hour of the game felt very predictable to me, the game takes itself too seriously, and none of the characters in the game can pull that off, which ends up making the game extremely hilarious. I really need to go back to It, I felt the gameplay has improved over Rise, everything now is more fluid. I wasn't a fan of RoTTR at all, but I liked TR2013. Once the RTX update is out I do intend on going back to it.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017

I mean I bought all 3 games on Xbox and even said I loved the first reboot... but carry on

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the worse in the series, it's the most disappointing game I bought last year. It also feels like they recycled a lot from Rise and even looks worse on some parts than it's predecessor

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I only played TR2013 and I didn't like it very much, so I'm not saying any of this in defense of what is no doubt awful writing, but I had an interesting conversation with someone about Lara in the reboots recently.

I voiced my frustration with TR2013 constantly focusing on Lara suffering and how everything had to be really difficult for her and as a result it couldn't focus on her becoming an adventurer and doing what she wanted to do for her own fulfillment.

The person I was talking with basically said that she didn't think they could go he uncharted/Indiana Jones route because if they showed a female protagonist murdering hundreds of people and then being excited/cracking jokes she would have been perceived as an awful/insane person.

But writing in general is just something that the game industry as a whole has a super low bar for. If something reaches the level of B movie dialog, gamers are ecstatic because it's just so much better than what we usually get.

In general I think the game industry as a whole has to get past this hubris that anyone can be a writer. Writers get paid for a reason. Storytelling is a craft that has been honed for most of human history.

+100

OP
OP
Memento

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anybody remember the scene in the first one (2013) where one of the characters (the one that liked Lara, I literally cant remember a single name of anyone in that game except Jonah but he is king of a meme by this point) sacrifices himself to save Lara and she is like "I am not going to leave you here!!!" and then I think they kiss(?) and he dies and then she proceeds to never even mention him again LMAO 0 fucks given

If anything the writing is unintentionally hilarious at least