signal

Oct 28, 2017
Controversial opinion??

First to fourth viewings="damn..................." *wipez tear*
Fifth and beyond="yeah whatever maybe for Frodo and Sam but why should everyone bow to Merry and Pip? Also why isn't Sam's collar buttoned up?
QwZD0n7.gif
"

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
The music sells it for me, that long, luxurious take of the Shire theme.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Because Pippin was crucial in drawing Sauron's attention away from Frodo since Sauron thought he had the Ring. And Merry was crucial in taking down The Witch King

Nov 1, 2017
No the corny part happened in the first movie when the Elf Queen or whatevershewas to show how bad she was if she had the ring went all negative coloring from something that looked like amateur hour.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't they save everyone by getting the ents to join the war?
Sauron Man's army was already destroyed he was just going to sit in his tower and die eventually. They just used the Ents to raid his weed storehouse.

Last March of the Ents song is top tier though so if they are responsible for that then I take back my criticism.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...uh no. It's fucking great. Four little hobbits from the middle of nowhere earn the respect of everyone.

The ending afterwards is a mess the movie tries to fix up, that goes on for far too long, but this scene.

This scene.

Give me a minute.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
"I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things" has always been the actual emotional peak of the story anyway.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Sauron Man's army was already destroyed he was just going to sit in his tower and die eventually. They just used the Ents to raid his weed storehouse.

Last March of the Ents song is top tier though so if they are responsible for that then I take back my criticism.
And nothing was stopping Saruman from making another army either.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Please leave this forum. It's one of the best scenes in the trilogy.
After like a dozen vieweings I think the only part that never diminished in impressiveness for me was this

ah0O5P4.jpg

Didn't Merry and Pippin help kill the Wraith King?
Debatable. If one of them wasn't there to stab him in the leg then an Eagle possibly would have flown by with a dagger in his talons and done it instead.

Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking corny or cringey then every scene featuring Frodo and Sam crying to each other takes it for me.

Which feels like half the fucking trilogy.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I made fun of Sam's collar but I just noticed this because of that youtube thumbnail

zhZ5U0Q.png

n1jp9MY.png

That unbuttoned sleeve smfh. Gondor is bowing to this?? Scene further diminished.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aragorn's not an asshole. He wasn't going to say "Actually, Pippin and Merry you two get on your knees.....we shall bow only to Sam and Frodo."

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Actually, Merry was integral to taking down the Witch King since the sword he had was enchanted with the power to harm the Witch King. Merry struck the blow which broke the WK's power, thus allowing Eowyn to kill him.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Define "corny." I am of the opinion that this a borderline garbage term just thrown around on the internet in hopes that people will agree based on no meaningful definition.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
No this scene rocks.

What's corny is the multiple close up montages of weird suppozedly joyous laughter.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Frodo sold his soul to save the world, Merry and Pippin checkmated Saruman, helped kill the Witch King, helped Frodo escape orcs many times, lit the beacons for Gondor. Hell no they don't bow.

Sam sucked, but I have a bitter hatred of Sean Astin.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
In the book, Tom Bombadil. But they don't explicitly say the sword was enchanted in the movie, because they didnt need to. But the details are there in the book.
AFAIK Bombadil was involved, but didn't the swords come from that certain grave cairn they ended up in? The Westernesse weapons came from that tomb, from which Bombadil had to bail them due to the presence of the wraith or wight.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
My mom finally got around to watching the extended cuts like a year after RotK came out and then this scene shows up and she starts bawling like a maniac. I felt the need to ask her why she was crying so much and all that came out of her mouth was "they bowed to the hobbits". Now whenever the movie gets brought up its the only thing I can think and I start laughing again.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
My mom finally got around to watching the extended cuts like a year after RotK came out and then this scene shows up and she starts bawling like a maniac. I felt the need to ask her why she was crying so much and all that came out of her mouth was "they bowed to the hobbits". Now whenever the movie gets brought up its the only thing I can think and I start laughing again.
Cute mama. What about the end scene where Frodo and Bilbo sail away?

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
As others have said, Merry fought in the battle before Minas Tirith and helped take down the Witch King of Angmar and saved Eowyn for good measure. Pippin lit the beacon which brought the Rohirrim to Minas Tirith, saved Faramir's life and also did the same for Gandalf by killing an orc. Both also convinced the Ents to join the war, ending the massive threat that was Orthanc. And they both were the first to charge at the enemy after Aragorn, perhaps instilling courage into the forces around them that had yet to move. Frodo and Sam had the worst task by far but to imply that Merry and Pippin were not worthy of acclaim is just wrong all the way through.

Last edited:

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It worked in the theaters at the time

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
AFAIK Bombadil was involved, but didn't the swords come from that certain grave cairn they ended up in? The Westernesse weapons came from that tomb, from which Bombadil had to bail them due to the presence of the wraith or wight.

Yeah they came from the Barrow, tom saved em from the wight and looted the Barrow and put all the items in the sunshine and broke the spell over em so they wight couldnt come back. And then was like take these swords and go stab shit.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can live with it being labeled corny. Just like Sams I can't carry it for you but I can carry you speech.

They both were still fucking epic scenes.

Oct 30, 2017
It was corny on first watch tbh. Not because of the words per say but execution. 3 films of build up to that scene and they just executed poorly.