• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I mean no large-scale commercial project (games, films, etc.) is going to willingly use assets associated with their IP that can be stolen and reused by anyone. I suppose in films it's harder to "extract", but in games it's pretty easy.
Didn't some game that released recently use AI Art for in-game posters? I would think that even large projects would use it to especially make side-details for their world.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's naive to think detection tools will save us from the negative effects of this. The exact people who would use this stuff for ill are the ones that will be working to evade those tools' exact methods at every step of development.
The possibility of a "verified real" status being attached to a generated image that was manipulated to slip past detection methods would do far more harm than if that image had otherwise just floated about unchecked.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but the US has a big election coming up next year. Shit'll probably evolve to the point that you literally won't be able to trust what you're seeing. We'll be drowning in a sea of disinformation (as if it wasn't bad enough). Great days ahead.
God help us when this reaches the point of creating convincing video. I want to think that's a far ways off, but this has already progressed far faster than I thought.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MidJourney generations are meant to be public, so there's plenty of keywords that are banned. And since it's an american commany, you can bet than anything even remotely sexual is banned. Bare boobs are forbidden so a dick is of course out of the question (you can still do Trump of course, but it's not the same kind of dicks).

So I have to get creative with requests for skin colored mushrooms with a base surrounded by brown grass

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean no large-scale commercial project (games, films, etc.) is going to willingly use assets associated with their IP that can be stolen and reused by anyone. I suppose in films it's harder to "extract", but in games it's pretty easy.
Maybe ... but if there is little cost to generate them, then there is little concern for them to be stolen. I can easily see AI generated work filling in a certain need for content. It's better than having Joseph Gordon Lovett crowdsource artistic work for you, any way.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Didn't some game that released recently use AI Art for in-game posters?
Yep. High on Life.
God help us when this reaches the point of creating convincing video. I want to think that's a far ways off, but this has already progressed far faster than I thought.
That + it's easy for us to say that things don't look nearly as convincing on closer inspection but imagine those that aren't nearly as technically inclined. Imagine our elders that are more susceptible to disinformation and fake news. People moving the goalposts are really missing the point. It's been less than a year.

Feb 21, 2022
Wow. I genuinely thought it would take them a while to get finer details like this right but AI progress just continues to shatter all expectations. Only a matter of time now before AI becomes widely used in all manner of industries and products.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Any tool can be purposed to be harmful. I'm pretty sure the creators of email didn't think it would be used for phishing scams for example. Am I supposed to blame the creators of email for phishing scams?
This is a cop out, especially when Midjourney is a for-profit product. We hold creators, manufacturers, etc... responsible all the time for what they produce. Peloton got rightfully sued because they removed all the safety mechanisms which resulted in children and pets getting caught and injured in them. Airbnb gets shit all the time for how it's destroyed housing and rental markets all over the world. It's tremendously tiring that the tech industry in particular just releases products and services to disrupt industries for their own profit and leaving the rest of society to deal with the repercussions afterwards. It should be the responsibility of creators to consider the ethical implications of what they produce, especially when the capacity for abuse is so INCREDIBLY obvious in this case.

Like why are you even allowed to put real people's names in the prompts? Is there a good reason why that should just not be allowed?

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
The paint hands have fingers with dents though.

The hands are much, much better than before, but they're still kinda fucked.

most political photos will be blurry 360p images in your facebook feed, pretty hard to even see small errors in image then when you kinda just glaze over it as compression artefacts.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah it's still fucked up but the improvement in 4 months is impressive. It'll probably get there in the next 2 years, which is scary

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While a valid point, I think folks are missing here, that at the rate AI is going, all these weird oddities will eventually be figured out.

I think it's dangerous to subscribe to the idea that AI technology is just going to keep improving ad infinitum. As with every other technology there's going to be practical limits to what can be achieved, and we don't know when that point is going to be.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
most political photos will be blurry 360p images in your facebook feed, pretty hard to even see small errors in image then when you kinda just glaze over it as compression artefacts.
Oh, I mean, no doubt this is horrible for rampant propaganda. I was merely commenting on the idea that the hands were flawless.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
Hands look a bit too large to me (and fingers a bit too long)

Kinda like it's taking data from drawings/paintings of hands (where an old technique is to slightly enlarge the size of the hands for drama and readability) and applying that to photos of people where it comes off as too large.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Did they take the stolen images out of their datasets or were the morphing tumour hands higher on the priority list this time?

Well, I'm sure they'll get around to it in the next update.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Just wait until videos can be generated that are just as convincing.... with audio

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
After crypto, NVidia and AMD are going to make bank with AI content. I can already run stable diffusion on a mid-tier gaming laptop with an 3070 mobile, a built with a 4090 will show fantastic results.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped subscribing to them because the founder refuses to acknowledge or care about artist copyright issues in the training data. But I can't help but be impressed by their progress. V4 was already impressive, but V5 is approaching dystopian oh shit levels of concern.

(taken from the MJ Discord)
image.png

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
This is a cop out, especially when Midjourney is a for-profit product. We hold creators, manufacturers, etc... responsible all the time for what they produce. Peloton got rightfully sued because they removed all the safety mechanisms which resulted in children and pets getting caught and injured in them. Airbnb gets shit all the time for how it's destroyed housing and rental markets all over the world. It's tremendously tiring that the tech industry in particular just releases products and services to disrupt industries for their own profit and leaving the rest of society to deal with the repercussions afterwards. It should be the responsibility of creators to consider the ethical implications of what they produce, especially when the capacity for abuse is so INCREDIBLY obvious in this case.

Like why are you even allowed to put real people's names in the prompts? Is there a good reason why that should just not be allowed?

Companies can't be arsed to regulate themselves. That's not gonna happen.

Government policy has to step up and quickly to ahead of AI issues. I know the EU is ahead in this regard as they've started classifying AI into different "risk groups" and each risk group has more stringent requirements.

The EU AI Act introduces a sophisticated 'product safety regime' constructed around a set of 4 risk
categories. It imposes requirements for market entrance and certification of High-Risk AI Systems
through a mandatory CE-marking procedure. This pre-market conformity regime also applies to
machine learning training, testing and validation datasets.

The AI Act draft combines a risk-based approach based on the pyramid of criticality, with a modern,
layered enforcement mechanism. This means that as risk increases, stricter rules apply. Applications
with an unacceptable risk are banned. Fines for violation of the rules can be up to 6% of global
turnover for companies

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Frustrates me to no end that most governments seem to be asleep at the wheel on all of this. China's already set up bans on AI media that isn't watermarked.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised not more people are grasping how fast this technology is accelerating, the implications are endless for what the future holds, everything is changing.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
AI cycles through shit super fast, not surprised when the bots went from losing to dominating people at chess and go in a very short period of time relatively bc they can do like a million trial runs at something way faster than humans can do one and figure out the right way to do things exponentially faster than any organic being

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Man, I hope Trump doesn't have any supporters that are obsessively fanatic, full of hate and loose ethics, and good with technology…that's a low possibility surely.

Feb 21, 2022
After crypto, NVidia and AMD are going to make bank with AI content. I can already run stable diffusion on a mid-tier gaming laptop with an 3070 mobile, a built with a 4090 will show fantastic results.
Feels like there's a good chance this going to be the next big marketing push for Nvidia/AMD. AI performance.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there no legislation to fucking stop this tech? This and the voice tech is already too fucking far for the well being of a society that's way below par when it comes to critical thinking skills.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm actually very interested in how they make this work in another few years in regards to gaming though.

Hell seeing how fast this is going maybe only a few months or weeks.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I've been looking to liven up my bedroom walls for a while. Might mess around an hour o so, and print some posters up.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Why is there no legislation to fucking stop this tech? This and the voice tech is already too fucking far for the well being of a society that's way below par when it comes to critical thinking skills.

How? I mean every tool that's ever existed has been abused. It wasn't created with the intention of causing actual harm like a weapon.

And it's happening so fast that it will take years to put something on books.

By that time we'll be able to replace actors entire bodies in films and will be seeing John Wick replace Aragorn in the Jackson LOTR movies and be able to change his outfits in real time.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome seeing this tech improve so quickly.

Awesome and exciting and scary all at once. I can't help but by impressed by the sheer ability here, and the possibilities it opens up. But shit, the world is going to change fast if this tech doesn't hit some sort of wall soon, and the pace is hair-raising. Exciting times to be living through. I have to wonder what the world will look like in 2040. How many jobs will still be performed by humans? How will communication and art and storytelling change?

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not ready to retire this beauty yet

JXZBMIl.png

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
"It can do hands now"

*picture of Trump kissing a dude surrounded by people with fucked up hands"

hmmmm

edit; lmao goddammit Gentlemen

I mean, considering all prior versions of MJ couldn't even get hands with 5 fingers reliably, it's still a big improvement. At this rate V6 will probably be able to render hands near perfectly. Focusing on the minor details is not really the take here when the state of the art is progressing on a scale of months. On top of the fact that releasing deepfakes on the internet to rile up extremists is not going to get a close inspection by people who are looking for any excuse to be violent etc.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017