• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
OP with the ninja edit to remove the six fingered hand image.

Inigo-Montoya1.jpg
LOL

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
How? I mean every tool that's ever existed has been abused. It wasn't created with the intention of causing actual harm like a weapon.

And it's happening so fast that it will take years to put something on books.

By that time we'll be able to replace actors entire bodies in films and will be seeing John Wick replace Aragorn in the Jackson LOTR movies and be able to change his outfits in real time.
Governments COULD move quickly. They choose not to, often. Don't confuse the two.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, considering all prior versions of MJ couldn't even get hands with 5 fingers reliably, it's still a big improvement. At this rate V6 will probably be able to render hands near perfectly. Focusing on the minor details is not really the take here when the state of the art is progressing on a scale of months. On top of the fact that releasing deepfakes on the internet to rile up extremists is not going to get a close inspection by people who are looking for any excuse to be violent etc.
I think focusing on "minor" details here is the most important aspect to take away because it's the only thing that's gonna be able to help discern between real pictures and AI bullshit soon

We went from Lovecraftian monstrosities to something your grandma wouldn't second guess scrolling down her Facebook feed in the short span of 4 months. It absolutely can do hands.
It very literally still can't as evidenced over and over and over in this thread. Be grateful that it still has a shortcoming because soon enough it won't

Oct 27, 2017
It advances so fast, yet somehow they fail to implement the simplest of things: a watermark in each one of this images (and metadata) stating "THIS WAS MADE BY A COMPUTER, IT'S NOT REAL".

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Still waiting for this tech to help artists and not just scrape the internet of living artist's styles.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Companies can't be arsed to regulate themselves. That's not gonna happen.

Government policy has to step up and quickly to ahead of AI issues. I know the EU is ahead in this regard as they've started classifying AI into different "risk groups" and each risk group has more stringent requirements.

That's great that the EU is doing that, and it sucks that NA regulators are asleep behind the wheel. It doesn't really change the fact that we should still be very critical of these companies and the people running them when they do unethical practices.

Regardless, my initial post was wanting to know how the CEO of midjourney sleeps at night

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think focusing on "minor" details here is the most important aspect to take away because it's the only thing that's gonna be able to help discern between real pictures and AI bullshit soon

Yes but it's missing the point. The hands where a very early clear tell something was AI created. The less of these early tells exist the easier it will be to mislead the audience. People need to be more vigilant as time goes on but soon AI will just dominate online images because of it's ease of use.

Oct 27, 2017
Creepy and expected. I saw a Macron pic recently, just sitting near some trash and at first I actually thought it was him, lol.

Also, it's funny to see how for some people in Era AI are simulatenously terrible/shitty/can't do proper images and will absolutely take over every job out there. Pick one.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Some more pics. Hands aren't an instant sign anymore.

FrXYv8QaQAAYQS_

FrV41oZXwAE_oli

FrV6S7EWYAERbBu

Fq1XURqX0AEyi8q

Fq1XWCOXwAALE3B

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

It very literally still can't as evidenced over and over and over in this thread. Be grateful that it still has a shortcoming because soon enough it won't

I think the takeaway should not necessarily be "it can do hands!" as the thread title announced, but the fact that it can now do deepfakes that pass quick inspection. (but it can do hands, sometimes)

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Words still are, at least for now
Yup. I guess that's what happens when your model is based around comparing images (to put it generously). I reckon it's a significantly harder barrier to get over than hands but one they'll get over nonetheless. Photoshop to the rescue in the meantime?

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
I think it's dangerous to subscribe to the idea that AI technology is just going to keep improving ad infinitum. As with every other technology there's going to be practical limits to what can be achieved, and we don't know when that point is going to be.

This makes no sense. You don't have to subscribe to the idea it will improve "ad infinitum" to make a reasonable assumption, based on current progress, that it will solve all problems it needs to in order to be destructive.

The only truly "dangerous" thing is trying to shrug that off simply because we don't want to believe it's true.

Why is there no legislation to fucking stop this tech? This and the voice tech is already too fucking far for the well being of a society that's way below par when it comes to critical thinking skills.

There's no legislation for the same reason, 30 years in, the internet is still broadly a wild west. Politicians are broadly technologically incompetent and have absolutely no idea how to deal with this stuff.

But to be honest, it doesn't matter. The genie is out of the bottle. Legal or not you can't take the tech away from the world. The people with malicious intent are still going to use it. Doesn't matter if it's midjourney, DALL-E or their own model built on the same approach.

Digital verification is a lost cause. identifying artifacts are going to be ironed out faster than verification can keep up with. At the end of the day, a pixel is just an RGB value - it isn't real or unreal.

The only solution I'm aware of is education. A drastic overhaul of early schooling to ensure it goes over that every image has to be treated with extreme skepticism and should never be by used as evidence something actually occurred.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It can still get fucky wucky for some generations, but when it does work - yeah it's far better than before. Bad hands actually seem like the minority of generations now compared to the majority.

But when it gets bad -

nFgFGCM.png

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Era is full of AI chuds salivating at the idea of being called artists without putting it in any work, passion, and the biggest sin of all, ANY creativity whatsoever.
Most people I've seen are rightfully decrying the tech for the implications it has on industry and society as a whole. I'll take your word for it though.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Most people I've seen are rightfully decrying the tech for the implications it has on industry and society as a whole. I'll take your word for it though.
The vast majority of actual artists on this website share the opinion of the wider worldwide artist community yes. That doesn't contradict the part where a lot of threads have the usual gaslighting about how this is a good thing or people outright not discussing the implications.

Sep 6, 2020
WTF is going on in his left hand? There's a long thumb and where is the rest? Is the lens of the "Caron" camera broken and his finger going trough it?

You're right, but the danger is that lots of real photos can have odd angles or lighting in them that create head-scratching elements like this. We have now entered the land of infinite photographic plausible deniability.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's funny to see how for some people in Era AI are simulatenously terrible/shitty/can't do proper images and will absolutely take over every job out there. Pick one.

there are different kinds of AI models, so perhaps you're conflating people saying that about the AI art models with the language models?

either way, there are several language models and image generators that have gone from meh to being able to output semi plausible stuff (better for ChatGPT) within a couple of years.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Correction, the actual argument is that instead of paying artists to do their job a capitalistic society will continue to do what its already done and steal the work of actual artists in order to produce cheap and fast results and attempt to take that as an opportunity to cut jobs even if the end result looks demonstrably worse at best and inconsistent as fuck so much so that it makes it incredibly apparent that the person producing it doesn't know jackshit about art. While those same companies/chuds simultaneously gaslighting the community by say....pretending that there's an artist shortage...

View: https://twitter.com/BriHardGaming/status/1620780158016983045

Guess what specific brand of idiot will read statements like that and assume that their newfound "skills" at it pertains to typing words will pick up the slack of this...shortage.

One that doesn't exist.

The frustration at this is compounded by the fact that the last two years have been incredibly hostile when it comes to the way artists have been treated. With various show cancellations, entire movies getting made but unreleased, animation studios/teams going through layoffs, etc.

And that's all in spite of the fact that art/animation kept media capitalism going during the worst pandemic of our lifetime. If anyone deserves to be saying "Pick one." It's me, or any working artist who's pissed off about this. And by pick one. I mean pick a pencil.
maxresdefault.jpg