• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's your take? So I guess you do want to ban the discussion of AI generated images on the forum, then.
I don't believe I said that. What I did say is that I don't care about whatever image you generated with a dubious application. I'm not curious about it's capabilities regarding that. I'm not "thinking about those possibilities." I'm much more interesting in
A)Highlighting flaws
B)Highlighting the ramifications

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Especially because AI chuds absolutely would be the type to think people beyond the usual suspects would be stupid enough to fall for that.

We live in a world where Trump was elected president in the US. Your viewpoint of people's ability to scrutinize these things is way too optimistic. I would like to live in the world where people don't take things at face value, but it's just not true.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
People who always come into this discussion with "I can tell it's fake" forget that they are going into it already knowing it's fake and so know to look at the details. It's totally different just coming across images randomly without having it confirmed before hand.

That's not even considering how much this stuff has improved in such a rapid time.

Honestly it feels like some people are so desperate to prove how smart they are for not being fooled that they completely ignore the reality of the situation or the fact this isn't static and will get dramatically better very soon.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Honestly it feels like some people are so desperate to prove how smart they are for not being fooled that they completely ignore the reality of the situation or the fact this isn't static and will get dramatically better very soon.

From the last few pages it seems there's a big element of interpreting "Damn that looks real" as "I like this technology" rather than "Holy shit, we're fucked".

I believe we're fucked - if we stay this course of pretending it's not going to be a massive societal problem. We *can* avert that catastrophe, but only if we start being honest with ourselves about how "powerful" this tech is, especially given how rapidly it has improved to date.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We live in a world where Trump was elected president in the US. Your viewpoint of people's ability to scrutinize these things is way too optimistic. I would like to live in the world where people don't take things at face value, but it's just not true.
Not due to fake videos of candidates or even fake quotes. The reasons he won are still way more sinister and prevalent currently than the idea of people falling for AI shit. If anything the political powers that be that run on constant misinformation don't even need AI help when it comes to spreading misinformation. They just say shit and run with it with any response being "fake news" and running for that for 7 years has political consequences as we saw last year where their hyped up "red wave" was anything but.

Now, think about what it's gonna be like when a candidate like DeSantis tries to spread the fascism outside of their domain when it comes to appealing to normal people.

People who always come into this discussion with "I can tell it's fake" forget that they are going into it already knowing it's fake and so know to look at the details.
There are several places to discuss how to easily pick these things apart at a first glance. Again, my eyes are inherently biased for the whole twenty years+ of artistry bit.

From the last few pages it seems there's a big element of interpreting "Damn that looks real" as "I like this technology" rather than "Holy shit, we're fucked".

I believe we're fucked - if we stay this course of pretending it's not going to be a massive societal problem. We *can* avert that catastrophe, but only if we start being honest with ourselves about how "powerful" this tech is, especially given how rapidly it has improved to date.
I think the concern about how often people will fall for ths pre-regulation currently outweighs the actual risk it poses to misinformation campaigns, given how those have functioned for the past seven years. The people evil enough to use this as a tool with misinformation have the political humor of a person who uses 4chan and loves Elon Musk. They aren't smart enough to come up with something that's super misleading that would have a drastic effect on the perception of a candidate. Hell, a huge chunk of their motivation comes from chasing clout instead of having any strong political positions, and that goes doubly so for people actively trying to fight "wokeness." Hence my comparison to the "blacks rule" photos. The people who believed that photo was of a real event that actually happened, are already the type to take umbrage something that comically unrealistic.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe I said that. What I did say is that I don't care about whatever image you generated with a dubious application. I'm not curious about it's capabilities regarding that. I'm not "thinking about those possibilities." I'm much more interesting in
A)Highlighting flaws
B)Highlighting the ramifications
You can't discuss its potential (horrible) ramifications without highlighting its potential. To say its interesting or impressive has nothing to do with normalizing its use. I'm not calling for people to keep using it, I'm very much worried that it can be used as a political weapon.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There are several places to discuss how to easily pick these things apart at a first glance.
Oh so the average person is going to have visited these apparent places to learn the tips and tricks to identifying fake images that will no doubt be put of date in 6 months?

My entire point is going into a thread titled "these images are fake" and saying "I can tell their fake" is different to just scrolling online and coming across a bunch of images with a fake one mixed among them.

Making snide comments like "heh, they can do hands now? Lol" and dismissing the progress we have seen already seems mighty foolish.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You can't discuss its potential (horrible) ramifications without highlighting its potential. To say its interesting or impressive has nothing to do with normalizing its use. I'm not calling for people to keep using it, I'm very much worried that it can be used as a political weapon.
I believe we should constantly normalize discussing how and why it falls short without end, especially the bit where these are the "best foot forward." That's why I did not say "we should ban this wholesale from era." Highlight the flaws, and continue normalizing the backlash.

Oh so the average person is going to have visited these apparent places to learn the tips and tricks to identifying fake images that will no doubt be put of date in 6 months?
People use twitter, discord, and tiktok very frequently yes.

My entire point is going into a thread titled "these images are fake" and saying "I can tell their fake" is different to just scrolling online and coming across a bunch of images with a fake one mixed among them.
I feel like we're of opposing opinions when it comes to how competent the average person is in situations where they're told to examine. I mean, the inconsistency alone would be a dead giveaway.

Making snide comments like "heh, they can do hands now? Lol" and dismissing the progress we have seen already seems mighty foolish.
It's not dismissive to point out the failings, while simultaneously highlighting what's currently happening regarding the legality, and possible lack thereof given the sheer amount of theft involved.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that this tech is still soo, soooo early in its life. The fact that it has improved so much in just the last year alone is fucking incredible. At this rate, it will not be long when no matter how good of an eye you have, you won't be able to tell if an image is AI generated or not. Right now you can, for sure. But in 5 years? It'll be getting pretty difficult. In 10-15 years, just imagine what can be accomplished by AI.

This shit is going to be mindboggling amazing by the end of this decade. And into the future, AI images, voices, video, writing, ect are all eventually going to be impossible to tell whether or not they're human made, even by experts, so it'll be great if there's software that is developed that can be used to figure it out.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is that this tech is still soo, soooo early in its life. The fact that it has improved so much in just the last year alone is fucking incredible. At this rate, it will not be long when no matter how good of an eye you have, you won't be able to tell if an image is AI generated or not. Right now you can, for sure. But in 5 years? It'll be getting pretty difficult. In 10-15 years, just imagine what can be accomplished by AI.

This shit is going to be mindboggling amazing by the end of this decade. AI images, voices, video, writing, ect are all eventually going to be impossible to tell whether or not they're human made, even by experts, so it'll be great if there's software that is developed that can be used to figure it out.
There's currently software being built to detect it, as well as software that protects one's art. As well as ongoing lawsuits, and website rules being changed to discourage if not outright ban it's use. AI chuds are gonna continue to fight those mind you. But stuff IS being done to make it not so comically easy to say, train a model off of up and coming artists or popular artists. That's how we got to this point in the first place was the only being done was simply telling chuds to fuck off and pick up a pencil instead of stealing. Now if only our legal system wasn't so slow.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I have no idea how midjourney works. But the concept of what an artist is will change so much with this stuff.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Crossing Eden people are also using GPT-4 to formulate Midjourney prompts which must be a special type of hell for you :P

View: https://youtu.be/Asg1e_IYzR8

They sure are discovering ways to be lazy in ways I hadn't thought possible.

the concept of what an artist is will change so much with this stuff.
Typing words and having a computer generate based off of stolen imagery does not make a person an artist.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I mean sure I think it's a bit scary but I think it's cool as fuck more. This new era of AI we seem to be at the advent of, that is.

Aug 15, 2022
confirmedd_portrait_of_a_happy_slighthly_overweight_mature_fire_8cee84b7-89a8-49e2-bd8e-ea1f115a5640.png

confirmedd_kodachrome_snowball_fight_kids_1990_style_bokeh__sno_5d5df51b-e392-4577-94cb-ebe948eda15c.png

confirmedd_kodachrome_snowball_fight_snowball_hitting_kids_face_bbe229cb-83f8-4f1c-995e-f50539e80538.png

remarkable stuff. looks like v5 is a notch up. v8 (shit maybe v7) and up is going to be the wild west.

Oct 27, 2017
People use twitter, discord, and tiktok very frequently yes.

I feel like we're of opposing opinions when it comes to how competent the average person is in situations where they're told to examine. I mean, the inconsistency alone would be a dead giveaway.

You yourself don't care about testing how accurately you can identify a real person from an AI generated image, because you know you might get fooled. Do you know how gullible many elderly people are when it comes to images/text messages they receive?

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Crossing Eden I know you mean well but I still think you're way too optimistic of people's abilities. This is anecdotal I know but a few weeks ago I saw the following image and many replies like this on Facebook. I don't think these people are "stupid". Most people are just not yet as skeptical as they need to be.

Also if you go to this page on Facebook it's full of countless examples like this and I have no reason to doubt that the replies are real people.

View: https://i.imgur.com/6R2vSvy.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/dFpyugp.jpg

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
The world is going to rapidly change. This is so incredible.
Anyone would be fooled, even with the occasional bizarre thing, like the ball pit ball in the snow photos.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No - but the barometer to create art is going to change the definition of artist. I don't agree with it - but this is so powerful.
It's simple, there's actual artists. And then there's you know several centuries of traditional workflows and decades of digital workflows where the tools for genuine self expression for people who have genuine influences and an actual voice get better and better.

vs.

Going

biG BOOba, anime face, thick thighs, Sam Lang mixed with Pixar, has an apple, trees, forest, apple tree, good hands, realistic hands, I can't draw please do it for me, this'll give me clout, clout worthy image, green grass, sunny day, also raining, apple tree in the sun while it's also raining, oil painting, influencer

And then picking the best version of the results does not make a person an artist. It means the person should get a grip and pick up a pencil so that they actually figureo out how to express themselves.

You yourself don't care about testing how accurately you can identify a real person from an AI generated image, because you know you might get fooled. Do you know how gullible many elderly people are when it comes to images/text messages they receive?
I'm much more concerned about the future of people who'll be much more impacted by this than boomers on Facebook.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
It's simple, there's actual artists. And then there's you know several centuries of traditional workflows and decades of digital workflows where the tools for genuine self expression for people who have genuine influences and an actual voice get better and better

Going

biG BOOba, anime face, thick thighs, Sam Lang mixed with Pixar, has an apple, trees, forest, apple tree, good hands, realistic hands, I can't draw please do it for me, this'll give me clout, clout worthy image, green grass, sunny day, also raining, apple tree in the sun while it's also raining, oil painting

And then picking the best version of the results does not make a person an artist. It means the person should get a grip and pick up a pencil.
We may be talking about different thingsā€¦

In a professional setting, this will replace artists a lot. Concept art generated is 100% going to happen. This is going to hurt a lot of peoples careers.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018

My dad had this box of hair dye, and the model on the box was a rendered 3d model. I told him that it wasn't a real person and it was created. He was looking at the box and couldn't wrap his head around the possibility of it not being a real person, lol

41tPnz7qRxL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We may be talking about different thingsā€¦

In a professional setting, this will replace artists a lot. Concept art generated is 100% going to happen. This is going to hurt a lot of peoples careers.
That's what people are directly trying to avoid and why they're fighting it. And why a company like Netflix got absolutely roasted for attempting to do that very thing and producing something much more subpar than if they just paid their artists a living wage. Or more recently, the Corridor Crew creating a tiktok filter and boasting that they changed animation as we know it. With LITERALLY every aspect of the video that didn't look like shit, having nothing to do with AI, and instead having to do with their decade+ of experience making parody videos.

Last edited:

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
That's what people are directly trying to avoid. And why a company like Netflix got absolutely roasted for attempting to do that very thing and producing something much more subpar than if they just paid their artists a living wage.
Right. I don't think we disagree, and maybe how I initially said it was wrong.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
No - but the barometer to create art is going to change the definition of artist. I don't agree with it - but this is so powerful.

The definition of an "artist" won't really change as although art is a bit of an ambiguous term it is mostly used to refer to "human expression" and an artist as someone who makes art. AI-generated images are not human expression (unless we get into a debate about what expression means, but it's probably reasonable to consider a prompt different from art).

However it's ability to take artists' jobs doesn't depend on it being considered "art".

Oct 27, 2017
My dad had this box of hair dye, and the model on the box was a rendered 3d model. I told him that it wasn't a real person and it was created. He was looking at the box and couldn't wrap his head around the possibility of it not being a real person, lol

41tPnz7qRxL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
Lmao, yes. My folks will get altered images (not even AI-generated) and be like: "did you hear about this?!".

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
The definition of an "artist" won't really change as although art is a bit of an ambiguous term it is mostly used to refer to "human expression" and an artist as someone who makes art. AI-generated images are not human expression (unless we get into a debate about what expression means, but it's probably reasonable to consider a prompt different from art).

However it's ability to take artists' jobs doesn't depend on it being considered "art".
Right. I think this got into more of a semantic level. I meant the producers of art in general.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Right. I don't think we disagree, and maybe how I initially said it was wrong.
Full sail never going to agree with calling the people behind AI image generation artists. Is my overall point. They're not invited to the party. Even though they desperately wanna force their way into it. Or at worst, wanna crash it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm much more concerned about the future of people who'll be much more impacted by this than boomers on Facebook.

The point many of us are trying to make here is that it's not just boomers or old people. They're specially susceptible to these kind of things, and so are people with less educational levels, for instance. Anyone can be fooled by these kinds of AI generated images, even you. Who are you to say that these kinds of images can't influence voting or get more people to support far right fascists (who won't even hesitate to use these kinds of tools)?

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't a social media platform add tech that can reverse image search a source for a photo and add it as an auto-generated caption or title to prevent damaging PR and propaganda? If it isn't from a news or notable source, it can be flagged as user made.

And something that only gets FOXnews branding can be easily sussed out as well.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
People calling themselves artists and designers by using AI generative tools is just rich.

It's still not real art. It's something an AI made in response by typed words fueled by zero creative expression with the closest thing to creative expression being the images that were stolen in order to generate a new one. Period.

It's easy to strawman this stuff as push button, receive "art", especially since it literally can be that simple. But I wonder what folks make of grey areas like this:

View: https://streamable.com/h90d7j

[source]

Set aside questions of aesthetics for this particular image and consider the general process. While most of the end result is AI-generated, there's clearly a lot of creative control being exercised -- hand-drawing the underlying forms, iterating and curating the best versions of each element, significant amounts of collating, blending, color correction, and hand-drawn edits. Is the person behind this video an "artist"? Is this "art"? If not, what distinguishes it from traditional collage or dƩcoupage or found poetry or musique concrete or patchwork quilting, all of which use pre-existing materials in a similar way but with even less fine-grained control? As for ownership, Dadaist cut-ups and similar long-recognized art forms often remix copyrighted text and images, and much more directly than the indirect theft-by-training these models are accused of.

Personally I see it as a sliding scale of creative control, with entirely hand-made art at the "purest" tier, versus 100% prompt-driven image generation on the low end of the spectrum alongside stuff like commissioning custom art or taking an amateur snapshot of nature (or anything else you didn't make yourself). Mixed-media, processed/professional photography, generative art (in the old school sense), and heavily customized AI art are somewhere in between. But any level of human input into the end result qualifies as art, IMHO, even if it's mediocre/uninspired/meh. As these tools mature and grow more versatile, the division between traditional art and AI art will only blur further.

Ironically, some future improvement on this tech -- say one that lets you directly capture what you imagine in your head -- could arguably be the "purest" form of artistic expression since it would functionally remove all barriers between what the artist envisions and what the audience experiences. (Maybe topped only by some crazy-ass mind-melding sci-fi tech, but then AI image generation was pretty much in the same category just a few years ago.)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The point many of us are trying to make here is that it's not just boomers or old people. They're specially susceptible to these kind of things, and so are people with less educational levels, for instance. Anyone can be fooled by these kinds of AI generated images, even you. Who are you to say that these kinds of images can't influence voting or get more people to support far right fascists (who won't even hesitate to use these kinds of tools)?
Because I actually pay attention to the current political state of politics and how little of an effect edited videos have on misinformation campaigns, especially as Gen Z ages, compared to the past 7 years of Trump's tactics being the mainstay of the GOP. I'm much more concerned about that than the hypothetical and part of that is fueled by the top of community currently fueling AI development. They're FAR more obnoxiously narcissistic and shallow than they are actively sinister. They're far more concerned with sure this shit can create their fictional wives than they are the political state of the U.S. I consider that a net positive hence me not doomposting about how effective this will be in THAT specific regard. They're far more concerned about the clout. The far right itself, functions entirely on incredibly transparent levels of misinformation where in the point is not making someone think Joe Biden says the n word with a deepfake. Hell why do you think they're going after voting laws involving younger people who grew up in a digital age and are now able to vote and make it clear via social media that shit's not sticking outside of specific areas?

Now don't misunderstand, eventually, theoretically, this COULD become a major source of political disinformation that heavily affect a wide population and not a demographic that can be defined as Facebook boomers. But again, the far right exploitation of algorithms to bolster misinformation has never needed AI beyond sock accounts to spread misinformation.
www.wired.com

Fake News Gets More Engagement on Facebookā€”But Only If It's Right-Wing

Far-right pages that publish misinformation get the most interactions by far compared to other news sources, new research shows.

Just like the industry fueled by the production of art never needed AI to....put people out of jobs and justify the poor treatment of artists. Only this time instead of "get a real job" it's "please please please let us have your art! I have this amazing idea for a story I just need to use YOUR art to train this AI. šŸ„ŗ" From people who weren't ever part of the convo mind you.

Set aside questions of aesthetics for this particular image and consider the general process. While most of the end result is AI-generated, there's clearly a lot of creative control being exercised -- hand-drawing the underlying forms, iterating and curating the best versions of each element, significant amounts of collating, blending, color correction, and hand-drawn edits
Do you know how much more you have to know about art than the average AI chud to actually know how to use photoshop in any meaningful way? This is more of a "I didn't expect the leopard to eat MY face" situation. Because as you send, it's straight up just editing stolen art in the first place. You could LITERALLY do that already with photoshop with no AI involved. I could download a random image from my feed, and do that with photoshop. I would still at the end of the day be using stolen imagery that I chose to edit.

As for ownership, Dadaist cut-ups and similar long-recognized art forms often remix copyrighted text and images, and much more directly than the indirect theft-by-training these models are accused of.
Do NOT attempt to legitimize AI image generation by comparing it directly to dadaist cut-ups. That's NOT what it is. And you either don't see the difference due to not being an artist, or you do and are being disingenuous with this comparison.

Personally I see it as a sliding scale of creative control, with entirely hand-made art at the "purest" tier, versus 100% prompt-driven image generation on the low end of the spectrum alongside stuff like commissioning custom art or taking an amateur snapshot of nature (or anything else you didn't make yourself). Mixed-media, processed/professional photography, generative art (in the old school sense), and heavily customized AI art are somewhere in between. But any level of human input into the end result qualifies as art, IMHO, even if it's mediocre/uninspired/meh. As these tools mature and grow more versatile, the division between traditional art and AI art will only blur further.
We are definitely also not putting a "tier of artists" so that AI chuds can feel better about themselves and still feel like they're invited to the table.

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
After crypto, NVidia and AMD are going to make bank with AI content. I can already run stable diffusion on a mid-tier gaming laptop with an 3070 mobile, a built with a 4090 will show fantastic results.
Probably just Nvidia tbh. AFAIK there's pretty much no one using RocM over CUDA. Nvidia also has much better cloud infrastructure support in terms of AWS integration, etc. Unfortunately, there's gonna be a ton of businesses like MidJourney who are less interested in releasing software that runs locally on a GPU and more interested in renting out access to their cloud GPU instances for a subscription.

Maybe now that driver and APU support is improving AMD can pick up some marketshare thanks to their cheaper VRAM prices, but I'm pretty worried about Nvidia kinda running away with things both inside and outside of gaming because of how much better they are on the software side.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
You could LITERALLY do that already with photoshop with no AI involved. I could download a random image from my feed, and do that with photoshop.
And that would still be (a form of) art, is my point. But I've always had a pretty liberal view of what qualifies, YMMV.

Do NOT attempt to legitimize AI image generation by comparing it directly to dadaist cut-ups. That's NOT what it is.
wow, well when you put it that way.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
User Banned (5 Days) : Inappropriate Language
Good to see the rape of art and the death of reality is improving I guess

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
It makes me sad that so many future artists will not be pursuing art as a career as a result of this AI shit. Art and creativity is one of the best things humanity had achieved in our history and we have reduced it to a fucking vegas slot machine in less than a year.

Oct 27, 2017
Because I actually pay attention to the current political state of politics and how little of an effect edited videos have on misinformation campaigns, especially as Gen Z ages, compared to the past 7 years of Trump's tactics being the mainstay of the GOP. I'm much more concerned about that than the hypothetical and part of that is fueled by the top of community currently fueling AI development. They're FAR more obnoxiously narcissistic and shallow than they are actively sinister. They're far more concerned with sure this shit can create their fictional wives than they are the political state of the U.S. I consider that a net positive hence me not doomposting about how effective this will be in THAT specific regard. They're far more concerned about the clout. The far right itself, functions entirely on incredibly transparent levels of misinformation where in the point is not making someone think Joe Biden says the n word with a deepfake. Hell why do you think they're going after voting laws involving younger people who grew up in a digital age and are now able to vote and make it clear via social media that shit's not sticking outside of specific areas?

Now don't misunderstand, eventually, theoretically, this COULD become a major source of political disinformation that heavily affect a wide population and not a demographic that can be defined as Facebook boomers. But again, the far right exploitation of algorithms to bolster misinformation has never needed AI beyond sock accounts to spread misinformation.
www.wired.com

Fake News Gets More Engagement on Facebookā€”But Only If It's Right-Wing

Far-right pages that publish misinformation get the most interactions by far compared to other news sources, new research shows.

Do you have any empirical studies that support your claims? For instance, there's plenty of evidence showing how fake news influenced election results/outcomes. How can you say edited videos (or AI generated ones) wouldn't have influence on misinformation campaigns? We have never seen AI generated videos/images like we've seen them now, so there's little way of knowing how much of an impact its had but if it's anything like what we've seen with fake news, it can certainlty have an impact.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And that would still be (a form of) art, is my point. But I've always had a pretty liberal view of what qualifies, YMMV.

wow, well when you put it that way.

Artist's had their work pillaged for this.

You can shout how great "the tech" is all you want and there's no denying it's impressive; but something awful happened to make this even remotely viable, and artist's are pretty rightfully upset.

Last edited:

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
This tech, scary as it is, is incredibly impressive.

"Anyone can draw" is disingenuous. Yes, anyone can draw, but not pictures they'd actually want. That takes years of practice, which have an opportunity cost.

"Instead of pursuing other interests, everyone could just spend years practicing THIS skill!" isn't a very good take. It's awesome that this tech is allowing people to generate images of this quality WITHOUT spending years of their lives to get there.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That video has more effort in it's production than the AI images created after this thread's creation. And requires a formal education of involving at some point being an artist. And most definitely more effort put into it than any AI image generated an Era member. And it's STILL, not putting in as much effort as genuinely starting with a clear idea in mind and then iterating on that idea and actually expressing oneself. Yes, editing art with your knowledge of art fundamentals that you've trained for years will result in an edited AI image. Because the person in question was already an artist before that.

That doesn't cover, justify, rationalize, or support the the idea that people in the midjourney discord, involved in AI image generation, who spend their days justifying this shit are actual artists. Because at the end of the day, the vast majority of it, and I MEAN the vast majority, are random people just randomly typing prompts. Prompts that generate an image based on countless stolen images from actual artists who put in an actual amount of work throughout their life times, . Those same AI chuds who when told to up a pencil usually provide the same responses:

-
sweats.gif

-smugly going back to entering prompts and patting themselves on the back and going "Well im totally still an artist anyway"

-"Shit I need to find SOME semantics related gotcha to justify ALL of the complaints so far, preferably involving an actual artist, which I am not, he asked me to pick up a pencil fuck that"

"Listen you haven't considered this is not only inevitable, in fact, let me gaslight you into thinking it will HELP you, why won't you let us help you?"

So no I don't care for your justification. You are not an artist for using AI image generation. And no, a video of someone who actually knows how to draw, blend, and color in photoshop, does not RETROACTIVELY bestow that title upon the people so invested in skipping the work.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
"Anyone can draw" is disingenuous. Yes, anyone can draw, but not pictures they'd actually want. That takes years of practice, which have an opportunity cost.

"Instead of pursuing other interests, everyone could just spend years practicing THIS skill!" isn't a very good take. It's awesome that this tech is allowing people to generate images of this quality WITHOUT spending years of their lives to get there.

Learning to draw was never just about generating high fidelity images. Its a learned way of expressing yourself, with the learning part being enjoyable and the payoffs being why anyone keeps doing it in the first place.
Prompting a short story is similarly not someone expressing their lived experiences or bettering themselves in any way. Its just noise diluting platforms and markets that had a real meaning and purpose and its going to get exponentially more and more diluted and noisy.

The process of learning to dance is as enjoyable as being competent at it. Its intrinsic. Requesting a video of someone dancing via a prompt is hollow even before there are a million other iterations flooding video hosting platforms.

There's more value in watching someone learn basic perspective than there is the most detailed and extravagant looking generated image.

I don't know, maybe there are people out there who post these quickly generated images and feel something real toward them. is that a thing?

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
Learning to draw was never just about generating high fidelity images. Its a learned way of expressing yourself, with the learning part being enjoyable and the payoffs being why anyone keeps doing it in the first place.
Prompting a short story is similarly not someone expressing their lived experiences or bettering themselves in any way. Its just noise diluting platforms and markets that had a real meaning and purpose and its going to get exponentially more and more diluted and noisy.

The process of learning to dance is as enjoyable as being competent at it. Its intrinsic. Requesting a video of someone dancing via a prompt is hollow even before there are a million other iterations flooding video hosting platforms.

Learning to draw is very rewarding I'm sure, and impressive. I am completely astounded at the ability of even school-level artists I've seen.

My point is that many people aren't looking for the rewarding feeling of learning to draw, they just want to create an on-demand image that looks halfway decent, and this tech does that fantastically.

This will never stop people from pursuing art for themselves, for expression. But it will enable people who don't want to invest the time to acquire that skill to generate great images.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This will never stop people from pursuing art for themselves, for expression. But it will enable people who don't want to invest the time to acquire that skill to generate great images.

And also make them stop commissioning artists so artists who make very little money will make even less money. Since you know, people just train their AI to generate drawings in the style of specific artists. Since you know, even when the Artist tells them to stop, AI Jackasses decide it's time to triple down and make even more generations based off of that artist.