• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022

View: https://twitter.com/onlybangerseth/status/1637585710285717504?s=46&t=bL0m1_8kvi4U0Gx5SjiJew

I dont know how squatter laws are a thing honestly. Atleast in the form that they are in. Like this is madness to me. How can someone be comfortable being in another person's home knowing they are not welcome and there is animosity from the owner. I would be making it very uncomfortable to live in my house if I could until they hopefully get the hell out. Also Airbnb should be having notices or a limit on how many days total someone can stay. Definitely less than 30 days.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
good-for-her-arrested-development.gif

Oct 27, 2017
If that was my place I would drag them out kicking and screaming. As in I would be the one kicking and screaming at them while I dragged their arse out and threw them in the gutter lol

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If this was a white person's house, they would have already been removed by the cops.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Empty the fridge and order single takeout so they can steal your food.
Shut of breaker to that part of the house.
Padlock on the bathroom.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
If you're there doing something illegal, I'm gonna do something illegal to get you the fuck out of my shit 🤷‍♂️ sorry not sorry

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching that Worst Roommate Ever show on Netflix squatters rights in some places are pretty fucking crazy. Get a single piece of mail delivered to an address with your name on it and you can squat there for months, years if they really want to drag it out.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I'll say this, she's handling it a lot better than I would if someone was living in my house without my consent.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Turn off the power and the water?
Probably not allowed. I saw a story this weekend from Illinois, someone moved into a home days after the owner died. Months later, the daughter is still trying to get rid of them and it will probably take many more months, and they're not allowed to turn off the utilities. So who pays for them?

In this case, afaict 30 days means they can stay as a tenant. So presumably they don't pay, then it takes many months to evict a delinquent tenant.

Oct 25, 2017
These residency minimum issues were in the news when AirBNB first blew up and not allowing rentals past them is like rule #1 about renting out your place on these platforms.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Technically these are tenant's rights not squatter's rights. After 30 days she's considered a tenant and the homeowner needs to take steps to evict her if she is not leaving voluntarily. It sucks but these rules help lots of people against shitty landlords, and unfortunately someone can come along and game the system like this.

Btw - Taking any kind of illegal action against the person living in her home could open her to financial damages for the squatter. So she can't change her locks, remove bedroom doors from their frames, etc.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Crazy, 30 days for that and 5 years to legally own the property.

I guess it might make sense where a property is legitimately abandoned or a landlord is not maintaining it, but in this case it seems way too easy to abuse.

Oct 27, 2017

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that was my place I would drag them out kicking and screaming. As in I would be the one kicking and screaming at them while I dragged their arse out and threw them in the gutter lol
Yeah this is what i'll do too, but i'd probably get sued and somehow have to pay the person i threw out of my house.
If this was a white person's house, they would have already been removed by the cops.
Black person being in some white person's house ? Cops would have speedrun that shit

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Technically these are tenant's rights not squatter's rights. After 30 days she's considered a tenant and the homeowner needs to take steps to evict her if she is not leaving voluntarily. It sucks but these rules help lots of people against shitty landlords, and unfortunately someone can come along and game the system like this.

Btw - Taking any kind of illegal action against the person living in her home could open her to financial damages for the squatter. So she can't change her locks, remove bedroom doors from their frames, etc.
Thank you! This is a landlord-tenant issue. It has nothing to do with squatter's rights.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
So the squatter can just go to another AirBNB after this and have an endless low cost living arrangement?

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Crazy, 30 days for that and 5 years to legally own the property.

I guess it might make sense where a property is legitimately abandoned or a landlord is not maintaining it, but in this case it seems way too easy to abuse.
All the owner has to do is go to court and file for eviction. It doesn't even require a lawyer.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't turn your home into an investment property and let someone Airbnb for a month? No shit she's a tenant now lol.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There is a whole-ass documentary on Netflix about squatter horror stories called "Worst roomate ever" its absolutely insane some of the stuff these squatters can get away with.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
So the squatter can just go to another AirBNB after this and have an endless low cost living arrangement?
The sad irony is that there's both a housing crisis and also a ton of owned, empty houses & units that would allow that to be plausible. This whole ridiculous situation is built upon wealth inequality and our country's intentional actions to block affordable housing.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Watching that Worst Roommate Ever show on Netflix squatters rights in some places are pretty fucking crazy. Get a single piece of mail delivered to an address with your name on it and you can squat there for months, years if they really want to drag it out.

That one episode with the prolific squatter was crazy. So many lives completely ruined with next to nothing they could do about it.

Oct 25, 2017
The video leaves out a lot of details of the how's and why's this happened. I don't think AirBNB will even let you have guests long enough to establish residence without big big warnings. The person in the video pretty willingly took on a lodger and is complaining about not being able to immediately kick them out.

And at the end of the day, a lodger is way easier to kick out than a person renting a whole unit. Just need a 30 day notice and police will kick them out for trespassing.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, if you're renting out a place for than 30 days, they're kinda living there. I'm not surprised it's what the law says because it makes complete sense and I bet actual hotels don't allow you to rent them for that long for that exact reason. It was a plot point in The Florida Project with the scumbag motel landlords.

If anything, I think this is another example of why AirBNB involves a lot of industrial scale regulation subversion. What kind of legal property exploiter doesn't know the laws well enough to call the cops on a trespasser?

It should be noted that the "squatter's rights" in the US people refer to isn't w/e this law is, it usually takes like a decade of continually living on someone else's property.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think in cases where a party was "squatting" and essentially trying to usurp ownership via antiquated laws should result in the true owner being compensated for legal fees and probably some other recompense as well. Like, imagine you travel to Europe for a month and you come back and can't get into your house because a random person started squatting there. The home owner shouldn't haven't to shoulder thousands of dollars in legal fees on top of the mental and emotional stress.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I hope that tenant/squatter paid for that food she got in the kitchen.

I love your optimism.

I think in cases where a party was "squatting" and essentially trying to usurp ownership via antiquated laws should result in the true owner being compensated for legal fees and probably some other recompense as well. Like, imagine you travel to Europe for a month and you come back and can't get into your house because a random person started squatting there. The home owner shouldn't haven't to shoulder thousands of dollars in legal fees on top of the mental and emotional stress.

This is all well and good - but you can't get blood from a stone.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
You don't obtain squatters rights by living somewhere for a month. It takes literal years, and in the case of CA, the squatter would need to have paid property taxes on the property (which would only happen if you hadn't paid them yourself!)

If someone breaks into your home without permission and lives there 30 days, the cops would be able to kick them out instantly. The situation in this video is different because the person had permission to stay… then simply stayed long enough to require an eviction. It does not require a lawyer, and the fees are not thousands of dollars. These laws exist to protect people from being put out on the street when they have been living somewhere legitimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.