• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people find it so odd you can rent an Airbnb for 30 days...do some of you not live in cities?

For instance different neighborhoods/properties can have different move out and move in days. One time I had a gap of a month before I could move into a new place and got an Airbnb for a month. They give you a pretty significant discount so it costs the same as normally renting a random spot for a month.

And it had other rooms with other people also only here temporarily for programs. It's not that odd

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Isn't it like rule 1 of renting your house out on AirBnB, to not let someone stay for 30 days.

Anything past like 14 days feels like tempting fate

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
how do hotels deal with this? Or do they have protection from this sort of thing?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
how do hotels deal with this? Or do they have protection from this sort of thing?
pretty sure hotels and hostels have a 14-day or so limit to avoid shit like this

from my understanding, it has to be 30 consecutive days so even leaving for a few days the rebooking resets you?

can anyone more knowledgeable clarify?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, they'd leave.

People in these situations don't seem to get creative enough when getting people to want to leave.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
good-for-her-arrested-development.gif

She like "Don't come to my door, that's all I know" and

uJ9OUQT.gif

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
If this was a white person's house, they would have already been removed by the cops.

You'd be surprised. We have two houses on our block that have become major issues with drugs, crime, fires ect but the squatters have yet to be removed and the owner is a white guy. This is in Los Angeles.

One of them which is partly burned out husk that has become where people go to do drugs and leave garbage and use the bathroom, everyone in the neighborhood has been trying to get rid of them. it was meant to be condemned but the squatting has put a hold on that its been years at this point.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why people find it so odd you can rent an Airbnb for 30 days...do some of you not live in cities?

For instance different neighborhoods/properties can have different move out and move in days. One time I had a gap of a month before I could move into a new place and got an Airbnb for a month. They give you a pretty significant discount so it costs the same as normally renting a random spot for a month.

And it had other rooms with other people also only here temporarily for programs. It's not that odd
Well yeah it's cheaper, it's a service entirely based on dodging existing regulations that normally exist for hotels and spots you can rent for a month.

The only issue here is that the AirBNB owner didn't bother checking the regulations they've been trying to dodge.

pretty sure hotels and hostels have a 14-day or so limit to avoid shit like this

from my understanding, it has to be 30 consecutive days so even leaving for a few days the rebooking resets you?

This is exactly how it worked in a movie at least. In The Florida Project, Willem Dafoe was running a black market long term rental business out of a motel and he would force everyone to live in a hotel across the street for a few days every month so they couldn't legally establish residency.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You'd be surprised. We have two houses on our block that have become major issues with drugs, crime, fires ect but the squatters have yet to be removed and the owner is a white guy. This is in Los Angeles.

One of them which is partly burned out husk that has become where people go to do drugs and leave garbage and use the bathroom, everyone in the neighborhood has been trying to get rid of them. it was meant to be condemned but the squatting has put a hold on that its been years at this point.
I think it tips over into the territory of cops not wanting to have anything to do with homeless people. They actively avoid any homeless situation if they can.

So yeah there are limits to white privilege on that end.

Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah it's cheaper, it's a service entirely based on dodging existing regulations that normally exist for hotels and spots you can rent for a month.

The only issue here is that the AirBNB owner didn't bother checking the regulations they've been trying to dodge.
if you need to rent something for a month short notice, then what? are you supposed to just bum around? rent like 5 different places? it's a service that isn't served normally

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I think it tips over into the territory of cops not wanting to have anything to do with homeless people. They actively avoid any homeless situation if they can.

So yeah there are limits to white privilege on that end.

My point is more that the laws around occupying someones home can be beyond unreasonable, it's become a real safety issue with assaults and fires here now and yet nothing seems to get done about these houses which are burned out and destroyed need to be leveled but the city wont do fuck all. This woman is going to be dealing with this for a very long time.

That being said if people want to start destroying Air BnB by squatting I guess maybe there's a silver lining/

Oct 25, 2017
My subwoofer would be at 11 right next to their door all day long.
All the food would be gone.
If you have food delivers so you don't leave the house I am eating it

OP
OP
Funkelpop

Funkelpop

Banned
Sep 2, 2022
Can the owner for example strip nude and walk around naked all day if they wanted to? It's in the privacy of their home after all right? Shit, how about bringing a nudist colony over for game night and sitting on all the couches. 😊

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit my 1000 pet Scorpions all broke out of their enclosure and into your room.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Can the owner for example strip nude and walk around naked all day if they wanted to? It's in the privacy of their home after all right? Shit, how about bringing a nudist colony over for game night and sitting on all the couches. 😊

In her scenario where the woman is basically just living with her I would get some kind of fumigation going, let her breathe poison if she chooses not to vacate.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
if you need to rent something for a month short notice, then what? are you supposed to just bum around? rent like 5 different places? it's a service that isn't served normally
If it's exactly 30 days and you desperately wanted to avoid a month-to-month lease, you wouldn't need more than two hotels. AFAIK hotels are regulated separately from normal rentals and I have no clue how CA rental laws apply to them; it's possible there's no limit on stay length in a real hotel because as legit business they have other ways of dealing with this issue that has surely come up before. Quick Googling indicates that they'll charge super expensive real rent to anyone there over a month and I'm sure they're making sure you're good for days 1-29 beforehand.

But for that to apply here, the AirBNB owner would need to not be dodging hotel regulations. As it stands, they're trying to get the best of both worlds between hotels and rentals by pretending that neither is what's actually going on. The only way I can see this situation happening is if the homeowner was letting just anyone rent for up to 29 days and then never actually checking on their property themselves.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Why is everyone sudenly advocating for harassment.

Laws like this exist to protect tenants from landlords, the solution is to start the process of a legal eviction or, just simply don't let someone stay in your house for a month.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Laws like this exist to protect tenants from landlords, the solution is to start the process of a legal eviction or, just simply don't let someone stay in your house for a month.

Yup. Friend of mine was kinda the super for a brownstone split up into multiple apartment with roommates for a steep discount on her rent. One roommate moved a person in to rent the room who promised to pay her deposit/first month rent after the 30 days and immediately had mail sent to the house within the first week. My friend peeped game and they had a 'conversation' and she moved out the next day.

Oct 28, 2017

Depends on the local law however:
Most Hotels and Hostels can't be a residency for ANYONE so those laws don't apply. They are not zoned for such a thing when they get their permits. I can't sleep in the 24 hour post office for 30 days and now it's my home. Also there are long term rentals that exceed 30 days at commercial property. Students, Travel nurses and other road jobs use these places all the time.

Most people are not scum bags, however for those that abuse the system, it can take years to evict a person. Do you think it is reasonable for someone to be able to live in a place rent free for months because they paid 31 days of fees?

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
absolute hero, all the people calling for harrassment are just advocating for landlords

down with airbnb

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the local law however:
Most Hotels and Hostels can't be a residency for ANYONE so those laws don't apply. They are not zoned for such a thing when they get their permits. I can't sleep in the 24 hour post office for 30 days and now it's my home. Also there are long term rentals that exceed 30 days at commercial property. Students, Travel nurses and other road jobs use these places all the time.

Most people are not scum bags, however for those that abuse the system, it can take years to evict a person. Do you think it is reasonable for someone to be able to live in a place rent free for months because they paid 31 days of fees?

It does not take years to evict a person. Jesus Christ the hysteria in this thread. All it takes is one landlord telling their slanted facts for over half this forum to nod approvingly that landlords should be able to beat the shit out of their tenants.

Bunch of fucking wannabe slum lords in here

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Owner didn't know her rights, squatter did. Sometimes you just get outsmarted.

It's a bad idea to rent out your place of primary residence in any situation, but if you have to, make sure you do your research first. The laws are stacked in favor of property owners regardless, least they can do is read the fine print.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on the situation and how often these types of things occur. It for every one person who abuses the system there are countless who are protected by these rights, is that a fair trade off? Do we just not get news articles every time a tenant is able to avoid exploitation or harassment from their landlords?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty shitty situation. I feel bad for the owner. My mom had a similar situation with a roommate in Delaware and it turned into a nightmare for her.

SevKnight

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
City of Apples
You don't kick out the squatter, you out-squat the squatter. I'd be in there tooting obnoxious farts, hogging the bathroom and eating all the food.

Oct 28, 2017
It does not take years to evict a person. Jesus Christ the hysteria in this thread. All it takes is one landlord telling their slanted facts for over half this forum to nod approvingly that landlords should be able to beat the shit out of their tenants.

Bunch of fucking wannabe slum lords in here

If you know the laws and know tenats rights in your area you can drag out the process for 12 months easily. I'm not sure what you may have read in this thread but I have seen it multiple times. Might be different where you are from

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well, she's clearly abusing these laws to occupy the residence of someone who doesn't want her there, she's being a complete asshole if the story is how it seems.

Situations like these could end up negatively affecting people who need actual protection as it could force laws to change, so it's pretty clear why people would have less empathy towards the "squatter". I don't advocate for harassment either, even if the squatter is essentially doing that herself, but she doesn't deserve any pity either.

Ultimately this is on the homeowner and AirBnb, she should have known the local laws in her area and AirBnb should under no circumstance allow stay lengths that long without the property owner signing a waiver. Everyone is in the wrong in this case, but the "squatter" is extra shit for abusing a loophole to occupy this property.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

This tenant doesn't deserve protection. She's abusing the law for personal gain, so I really wouldn't have sympathy if the owner decided to make the "tenant" uncomfortable … within the law, of course.

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the situation and how often these types of things occur. It for every one person who abuses the system there are countless who are protected by these rights, is that a fair trade off? Do we just not get news articles every time a tenant is able to avoid exploitation or harassment from their landlords?

I'm not against tenants rights at all. I'm against people housejacking.

Well in the case of the OP video the person is just a lodger so it's a mere 30 day notice to vacate.

Laws move to slow for the times and there should be something in places for this type of situation as it reads in the OP. What happens (And I don't know in California) if the tenant files an appeal on day 29? Probably needs to appear before a judge or magistrate and what happens then if the plaintiff cant make court? I know there is a lot of "if" coming off what I'm saying but the more knowledge folks have the more they get away with .

Status
Not open for further replies.