HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Will be there Day 1. One of my favorite games of all time and I want to support Remedy.
Game oozes with Twin Peaks, X-Files and Twilight Zone. Comparisons that people love to throw at video games but Alan Wake actually lives up to it.

I just hope they keep the music.

That Poe song hits hard.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
Epic exclusive means I'll probably never play it. At least I still have the original on Steam.

I hope Alan Wake 2 isn't epic exclusive too.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic exclusive means I'll probably never play it. At least I still have the original on Steam.

I hope Alan Wake 2 isn't epic exclusive too.
It's all but confirmed. Epic Publishing is working with Remedy on two games. The remaster is one of them. The sequel is very likely the other. Also, both games on the deal are part of the same franchise. So yeah.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
It would be interesting to see how new players view this game. Lots of people (including myself) absolutely loved it at release. Presentation was great. Gameplay was repetitive. Experiencing it after Control may not be as positive.

Alan Wake is the reason Control exists. Control is a natural evolution of ideas Remedy experimented regarding cinematic storytelling in games for Alan Wake.

I haven't played Alan Wake after initial release. So looking forward to remastered version.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Considering their two-game deal invovle the same IP, it is likely the case. Tim Sweeney basically own these two games.

Not completely true.
One of the key points of Epics publishing is that Developers retain 100% of all intellectual property and full creative control of their work. In theory, the publishing deal can end at some point, or subsequent games / versions could go elsewhere. There is also nothing preventing Epic from publishing on anything, be it Steam, Stadia, XCloud, whatever.
It depends on the specifics of the agreements they've made.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Not completely true.
One of the key points of Epics publishing is that Developers retain 100% of all intellectual property and full creative control of their work. In theory, the publishing deal can end at some point, or subsequent games / versions could go elsewhere. There is also nothing preventing Epic from publishing on anything, be it Steam, Stadia, XCloud, whatever.
Given that Remedy put in the money and effort they did to regain this IP and the rights to the first two games, there's no way they've signed it away again. Whether that means a Steam version ever happens is of course another case altogether and I certainly wouldn't presume one is only a year away while Remedy are still working on other games for Epic.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
A remake really doesn't point to a sequel for me. If anything it tells me the original didn't sell enough for them to justify a sequel but they felt comfortable enough with a remake. I know remakes can often point to a sequel being in the works but I'm not getting my hopes up with this particular niche game.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Not completely true.
Given the fact that they likely fully funded this remaster, plus the sequel, Epic could have just asked for an exclusivity period on PC of arbitrary length, like 100 years.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Given the fact that they likely fully funded this remaster, plus the sequel, Epic could have just asked for an exclusivity period on PC of arbitrary length, like 100 years.

Yeah, entirely between the developers and Epic's publishing team what they've agreed upon.
Epic's publishing specifically gives cover of up to 100% of development costs, from developer salaries to go-to-market expenses such as QA, localization, marketing, and all publishing costs. Then after that cost is re-couped through sales, the developer gets at least 50-50 share of profits

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Pretty strange to not include a trailer or anything, but hey.

I loved the game but haven't played it since it launched. Might be down for another run through for sure.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So we dont even get a trailer or official systems this will be on, it kinda sounds like its going to be a barebones port. Considering the lack of info, this may not have a native port on current gen systems.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyways, Epic is also publishing Team Ico's and Play Dead's games so unless they're sequels to something, I wouldn't put hope for those games to get out of Epic's store.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
A remake really doesn't point to a sequel for me. If anything it tells me the original didn't sell enough for them to justify a sequel but they felt comfortable enough with a remake. I know remakes can often point to a sequel being in the works but I'm not getting my hopes up with this particular niche game.
It's explicitly a remaster, vs a remake. Think Shadow of the Colossus not Resident Evil 2.

So we dont even get a trailer or official systems this will be on, it kinda sounds like its going to be a barebones port. Considering the lack of info, this may not have a native port on current gen systems.
They confirmed all the platforms in the letter announcing the game. They're the same ones in the thread title.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Really happy about this. AW is probably my favorite Remedy game overall, and even if the combat is much simpler than Control's, I actually never got tired or bored with it - warts and all. I'm okay with them not updating the gameplay for this version, and I just caution anyone coming from Control not to go into this anticipating something similar when it comes to its action.

I own Alan Wake digitally on the Xbox, but if this version is priced right I could see it being a day 1 purchase for me. Curious to see how much of a remaster it is. Would have preferred a remake, but I guess their talents and time would be better spent elsewhere.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I always found the game a bit overrated , did enjoy on 360, but was kinda dull at times and pacing wasn't great. But the premise was really interesting.
Let's see what kind of improvements we get with this remaster.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah I just used the wrong word. Point remains. I'd be absolutely stunned if they were actually planning to do a proper sequel.
It's all but announced at this point, between the Epic deal and the way Control: AWE ended I am very confident it's happening.

Edit: Also! Control started out as an Alan Wake sequel and morphed into something else during development. You can get a sense of what was planned from the whole 'This House of Dreams' thing.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I just used the wrong word. Point remains. I'd be absolutely stunned if they were actually planning to do a proper sequel.
Remedy said they had two games in development with Epic on the same franchise. One was smaller scale (the remaster), the other was bigger (the sequel). AWE also basically confirmed it. It's happening.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Brilliant was really feeling it again. Truly one of my all time favourite games.

Bring it!!
Hopefully cut content is put in and such

May 15, 2019
Curious to hear what's actually different about this when the original is already on Steam for $15. Wonder if it's missing the licensed stuff that forced them to delist the original for a while.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First game was alright. Ending was a big let down for me. Couldn't play more of than an hour of American Nightmare though. Got pretty bored.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great news!
But i'm not sure of what a remaster on PC even is. It already looks pretty good and i guess they won't change the engine to something more modern.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
No American Nightmare? GTFO, Remedy. It was the best part of the game.
It's a separate title, not DLC for the original. They came out years apart. Maybe we'll still get it, but I wouldn't expect them to remaster both games at the same time (or hold back the release of the first until both were done).

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It would be interesting to see how new players view this game. Lots of people (including myself) absolutely loved it at release. Presentation was great. Gameplay was repetitive. Experiencing it after Control may not be as positive.

Alan Wake is the reason Control exists. Control is a natural evolution of ideas Remedy experimented regarding cinematic storytelling in games for Alan Wake.

I haven't played Alan Wake after initial release. So looking forward to remastered version.

I think you can change Alan Wake for Max Payne or Quantum Break and the sentence would still be true. Remedy has that identity ever since the original Max Payne. Of mixing games with other types of storytelling. Control feels like the culmination of that effort, and it may be more thematically similar to Alan Wake than the other games, but I feel they are all part of the same trend, the same DNA.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I liked American Nightmare. What I enjoyed about it was that it was more Alan Wake, but I had more issues with it than the original.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
It was in my "need to play it" list for years and I just finished it last week on my Series X so bad timing for me...

I hope we get a sequel now.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Remedy said they had two games in development with Epic on the same franchise. One was smaller scale (the remaster), the other was bigger (the sequel). AWE also basically confirmed it. It's happening.

Watch them be this remaster and a remaster of American Nightmare.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I had always wanted to play Alan Wake but haven't owned an Xbox since the original but I now have a Series X.

After finishing the Control AWE DLC on my PS5 I grabbed a copy of Alan Wake for $10 on mercari last week and now this happens.

Suppose I will just hold out for the remaster.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
have they mentioned the price (PC)?...will it be a free upgrade or discounted pricing for current owners?