• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Yo. For real as someone who works in the industry I find the thread title mad offensive. What the fuck are you trying to say? An actor is responsible for the death of another person? If that's not your intention why name drop? If you're gonna name drop name those who were hurt.
For clicks and added outrage. It's pretty unethical reporting.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Headline reads like it was Alec's fault. Wtf, dude probably already feels bad enough, doesn't need you pinning a prop malfunction on him

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
So everyone is saying not to blame Alec as it most likely wasn't his fault, which I totally agree with. But maybe we should extend that courtesy to the prop people on the movie too since we don't actually know the details?

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
With how much completely banal stuff in even micro budget films is digitally manipulated in some way or another, how have we not gotten to the point where sets are just saying "ya know, fuck bothering with blanks, just do it in post". It is NOT worth the risk, no matter how small, for the mildly more realistic smoke/flash/kickback when there's probably 10 other inaccuracies with the gun alone. Unions just need to ban them already.
Yeah, even if we end up with The Walking Dead infinite recoil-less shotgun scene, this would be the way to go.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even understand how this happens.

With the Brandon Lee incident, it was speculated that they had shot close ups with hollowed out real rounds (which is common) but that a piece of it had broken off and become lodged in the chamber and was propelled by the blank firing, functioning essentially the same way a bullet would. There are supposed to be safety checks in place to prevent that kind of thing, and I would have thought they would no longer use the same gun to shoot close ups that they do for firing because of this very possibility.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
What an unfortunate accident to have occurred. Baldwin is going to be shook for a long time after this :(

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow... That's devastating.

Someone with incredibly poor taste posted photos on Twitter of Baldwin (I assume based on how they looked) finding out about the death. Very horrible to take photos of something like that.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Someone on that set should have to pay for their negligence, but I don't think that responsibility lies with the actor.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I thought after the whole Brandon Lee incident the industry setup these new protocols to ensure something like that could not happen again

Last edited:

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
On top of being a tragic event the idea of placing the tragedy on the shoulders of a victim is additionally horrifying. The event hasn't been fully investigated so they just go with the most prominent name.

Why would anyone be whipping out their phones to take a picture in this situation?

The context seems to be learning about the result of the emergency response from police after the fact, and him processing this outside of the police station. It's a callous thing to capture and share.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
He is also a producer. Considering we're in the midst of a serious labor struggle in the film and media industry regarding compensation and safe labor practices, I hope this won't go unnoticed.

I missed that.

You know what, yes, as a producer he has way more responsibility for the safety of his set than a normal actor would.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
How in the fuck does something like this happen in 2021?! My god, senseless tragedy. I feel terrible for everyone involved, especially Alec Baldwin. I can't even imagine how he must be feeling. Awful situation.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The other incident brought up was actor Jon-Eric Hexum. On the set of the TV show "Cover Up", he decided to horse around by putting a prop gun loaded with a blank round up to his head and pulled the trigger. The discharge of material from the blank round into his head killed him.
I learned about this from a YA murder mystery. Never shoot a blank point-blank, especially at the head where the bone is thinner.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Since this is the 2nd death with prop guns, there needs to be better filming safety protocols. Like never point a gun at anybody if it's to be discharged. They can use different angles to get the same effect without actually pointing the gun at somebody.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Since this is the 2nd death with prop guns, there needs to be better filming safety protocols. Like never point a gun at anybody if it's to be discharged. They can use different angles to get the same effect without actually pointing the gun at somebody.
Or just you know check all the props before every take and don't skimp on safety protocols.

May 24, 2019
I remember a few years ago another young female camera person was killed on an indie film because of criminally lax safety.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

A Train, a Narrow Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How ‘Midnight Rider’ Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life

The parents of the young camera assistant killed in the train accident on the Georgia set of "Midnight Rider," as well as an injured hairstylist who survived it, reveal harrowing and graphic new details. "I saw my life, my kids, my family, all of it before me," says the hairstylist. "I was sure...

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of person immediately goes on twitter to type something like this just to farm impressions off the death of 'friend'? What the fuck

jfc

Tragedy all around. RIP

Probably the kind of person hoping that there are people scouring twitter in the wake of events like this, signal boosting any old rando they can find.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Yo. For real as someone who works in the industry I find the thread title mad offensive. What the fuck are you trying to say? An actor is responsible for the death of another person? If that's not your intention why name drop? If you're gonna name drop name those who were hurt.
As someone who doesn't work in the industry, I also think it's fucking disgusting.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The same story everyone else is talking about but we have no details about?

There are enough details to understand that Alec didn't purposefully kill a person and that this was a tragedy. No reason to try and imply anything else. You're not explaining what you need to "wait" to comment on.

Instead of posting a conspiracy-tinged "I'll wait," maybe just... don't say anything at all then.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? It's from the headline. No need to get upset at OP.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
…….But there are details released? A PROP gun was fired resulting in the death of an individual.

And? Why was a prop gun able to kill? Was Alec scripted to point and fire it at a crewmember or was he dicking around? If the prop wasn't supposed to be dangerous, who was responsible for making it dangerous? Were safety procedures followed on set? If not, why not? Is there a history of this behavior with Alex? With the prop department?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
If prop guns are this fucking dangerous maybe we shouldn't be using them. RIP to that poor cinematographer. Awful.

This is what I don't understand. I know it all comes down to the fact that film and television set safety still isn't at the point where it needs to be but something like this happening shouldn't be a possibility in the first place.