GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
I mean have been wanting an ultrawide with better colours... How much of a difference would 4k make instead, in you people's experience?

Jul 1, 2020
As far as I know the PS5 only supports 1080 and 4k.
If you set it to 4K most monitors will lock the refresh rate to 60Hz.

Xbox supports intermediate resolutions.
Xbox used to be even better at supporting resolutions.
Heck the X360 supported 1440x900 and 1680x1050.
I played a lot of my early 360 games on a 1280x1024 PC monitor connected with a VGA cable. The 360 was far more flexable with output options than most people think.

OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
This had an added quantum dot layer over a blue OLED backlight, I'm not sure if they will react quite as fast as the color-emissive pixels? Should still feel perceptibly fast, though.

Not sure if you were aware, but normal WRGB OLED TVs still use a color filter over the OLEDs. In this case, the Color filter is replaced with a layer of QDs to transform the blue light into Red and green light. Color conversion via QDs is extremely fast as far as I'm aware, so I wouldn't be surprised if the pixel response time is just as fast, if not faster..but either way, the differences would be imperceptible to humans.

Jul 7, 2021
My Predator 34x is the same size, aspect ratio and resolution and it supports HDR but doesn't have local dimming and is not OLED so contrast ratios aren't great.

I think I'll hold out for something like this, but with higher brightness. I think 600 for a monitor would be pretty great.

Edit: Wait this thing hits 1000 nits?

OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
My Predator 34x is the same size, aspect ratio and resolution and it support sHDR but doesn't have local dimming and is not OLED so contrast ratios aren't great.

I think I'll hold out for something like this, but with higher brightness. I think 600 for a monitor would be pretty great.

This monitor can hit up to 1000 nits...

Do you mean you want it to have an HDR 600 certification? HDR 600 on an LCD television isn't much to write home about. You'll want an HDR1000 cert with mini-led local dimming for HDR to have much of a drastic benefit with a standard LCD.

OLEDs have insane contrast at just about all black levels, so specular highlights pop even at lower nits. My LG CX does 800nits peak brightness at best, and likely wouldn't fully qualify for Display HDR 600 in all testing scenarios, but still produces amazing HDR images due to being a self-emissive display. Controlling highlights at the pixel level is just too good.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
I mean have been wanting an ultrawide with better colours... How much of a difference would 4k make instead, in you people's experience?
4K would most likely be a 16:9 picture versus the wider aspect ratio of this 21:9 display. 3440x1440 is easier to drive than 4k for your GPU. The sharpness of native 4K isn't really noticeable for me at 27" at my standard viewing range. I prefer the 21:9 aspect overall for the higher immersion in games that support it well.

Jul 7, 2021
This monitor can hit up to 1000 nits...

Ok, that's a game-changer for HDR on a monitor, right? When I was in the market for my monitor earlier this year My Predator 34X was one of the best at HDR at that~2k price point, and it's pretty crappy at HDR - good colors but no local dimming so contrast and brightness isn't very good.

Ugh... Unloading a monitor is such a hassle though. It's hard to sell them on Ebay. But I really want this.

Jul 26, 2018
I have a 2018 MSI ultrawide monitor and a LG CX. This thing is probably gonna be my next ultrawide upgrade. OLED panels have spoiled me so much now hahaha.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I played a lot of my early 360 games on a 1280x1024 PC monitor connected with a VGA cable. The 360 was far more flexable with output options than most people think.

That was exactly my experience.
I was in boarding school and could only fit a relatively small 1280x1024 monitor in my dorm.
I was worried the image was gonna be squished and id need to do a bunch of tinkering to get it to look even a bit decent.

Nope; you can select 1280x1024 no problemo.

When I upgraded my computer I went to a 1440x900.....X360 spat that out no worries.
Upgraded again to a "colossal" 1680x1050 monitor....X360 didnt even blink.
Then 16:9 took over the world.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds great. As someone who just got a 34" LG IPS ultrawide and a 65" LG C1 this year, I definitely want the best of both worlds for my next monitor purchase. I'm perfectly happy with my IPS for now, but if this Quantum Dot technology proves to be a great fit for PCs and prices come down in the future, then I could see myself getting an 38" or 40+" variant in two or three years. Exciting times

Jul 1, 2020
That was exactly my experience.
I was in boarding school and could only fit a relatively small 1280x1024 monitor in my dorm.
I was worried the image was gonna be squished and id need to do a bunch of tinkering to get it to look even a bit decent.

Nope; you can select 1280x1024 no problemo.

When I upgraded my computer I went to a 1440x900.....X360 spat that out no worries.
Upgraded again to a "colossal" 1680x1050 monitor....X360 didnt even blink.
Then 16:9 took over the world.
My only complaint about that was when games like Gears of War would force themselves into 16:9 on the 5:4 panel and it was pretty small.

Jose Cintron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are samsung panels not ridden with QC issues? I understand this QD-Oled is new tech but like the last few years have not been that great when it comes to buying a samsung monitor/tv

OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
EvilBoris , Do you work with the HDTVTest youtube channel along with Vincent Teoh? If so, would y'all happen to have a video about how the self-emissive properties of OLED effect the HDR viewing experience?

Edit: I would love to link that because I think people are overly concerned with the DisplayHDR400 True Black certification.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't you use the superior display port connection with a monitor anyway, over HDMI?
Yes, but hdmi 2.1 is just as good for what it does, not that it matters for this monitor
My CX is hooked up via a really long and good HDMI 2.1 cable and I have no latency etc. just feels the same

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I'm upgrading my aging 1080P Asus VG248 144 Hz monitor with the LG C2 42". The CX I have has been absolutely amazing, and I'm just not willing to pay the extreme prices monitor manufacturers charge. Maybe if I did color accurate work it would be advantageous, but a 4K display at 42" should have nice pixel density and it should be relatively affordable.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Are samsung panels not ridden with QC issues? I understand this QD-Oled is new tech but like the last few years have not been that great when it comes to buying a samsung monitor/tv
I've read about several bad experiences with the odyssey line, but it's the internet, so who knows what the affected yield actually looks like
Mainly bad smells/burning

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It's a lottery like anything else.

I got a gigabyte M28U which had horrible bleed and returned it for a Samsung G70A which uses the same 28" panel, but the Samsung I got has almost no backlight bleed.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Typical Linus hyperbole.

Everything else is obsolete? LOL. It's slightly better than LG OLED. Obviously. But it's not massively better. And more importantly it's not affordable. So for everyone who's not rich, it's a terrible value proposition that hasn't made anything obsolete. Linus probably makes 8 figures a year, though. So for him, sure.

OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I've read about several bad experiences with the odyssey line, but it's the internet, so who knows what the affected yield actually looks like
Mainly bad smells/burning

For monitors, it's specifically their VA panels that have pretty extreme QC issues. It's likely due to how their VA panels work (at least for the C7 series). I ordered their 32" 1440p VA panel last month and had to return it due to it exhibiting all of the reported issues people were talking about.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
C1/C2 > > > Neo

I have both. C1 is a superior monitor experience.

I have a 65in A1 and I guess the model before the G9 odessey. I really like the ultrawide but use the A1 for titles that don't support ultrawide. I like the set up alot. Also I work from home so the ultrawide screen has been great for that. I do want better HDR and colors which I think the Neo offers. Plus 240 hz isnt bad. Mine is 120Hz.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
EvilBoris , Do you work with the HDTVTest youtube channel along with Vincent Teoh? If so, would y'all happen to have a video about how the self-emissive properties of OLED effect the HDR viewing experience?

Edit: I would love to link that because I think people are overly concerned with the DisplayHDR400 True Black certification.

Vincent has lots of videos, but I'm not sure where I would start looking.

OLEDs are limited by only being able to get so bright when in a large TV format : the current ones hit around 500nits with their RGB pixels.
To try and help make these sets seem more competitive and delivery a punchier HDR experience, the TVs also introduced a 4th pixel a white one.
Because of how limited the colour pixels are, they cover around 35% of what the HDR colourspaces allow for.
By having native RGB pixels that can become brighter, then the displays can display more saturated bright colors , just as an LCD can.
This will give a puncher more natural image.

OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
When it comes to panel technology in general, I wonder how long QD-OLED will be a thing? Using the blue OLEDs as the subpixels looks to be a stop gap until Samsung's nanorod LED tech becomes viable.

I think the holy grail of panel tech, at least imo, is EL-QD (Electroluminescent Quantum Dots). I wonder if that tech will become economically viable before microLED?

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Typical Linus hyperbole.

Everything else is obsolete? LOL. It's slightly better than LG OLED. Obviously. But it's not massively better. And more importantly it's not affordable. So for everyone who's not rich, it's a terrible value proposition that hasn't made anything obsolete. Linus probably makes 8 figures a year, though. So for him, sure.
Well... yeah, of course? Nearly every display improvement that's now standard launched at a premium. "It's not massively better, and more importantly not affordable, and my current display is good enough" has been said about nearly every feature found in whatever display you currently find affordable. Normal cycle of tech.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Typical Linus hyperbole.

Are we expecting those to cost more than other OLEDs?

QD OLED? Is this a Samsung panel?
it is a Samsung panel.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
When it comes to panel technology in general, I wonder how long QD-OLED will be a thing? Using the blue OLEDs as the subpixels looks to be a stop gap until Samsung's nanorod LED tech becomes viable.

I think the holy grail of panel tech, at least imo, is EL-QD (Electroluminescent Quantum Dots). I wonder if that tech will become economically viable before microLED?

The reason that the blue ones are used is because they are the the ones that are brightest and output the most energy. Also, I presume it's easier to use the QDs to change from a short wavelength blue to the longer wavelength red and green colours than to go the other way round.
Especially as BLUE oled is the one that has the shortest lifespan, their must be reasons they have to use that.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I have a 65in A1 and I guess the model before the G9 odessey. I really like the ultrawide but use the A1 for titles that don't support ultrawide. I like the set up alot. Also I work from home so the ultrawide screen has been great for that. I do want better HDR and colors which I think the Neo offers. Plus 240 hz isnt bad. Mine is 120Hz.
240Hz is a mirage on the Neo. There's so much blur you can't appreciate it over 120Hz. It's not even a selling point.

That said, it looks like this Alienware is doing true 175Hz (with on-off pixel speeds that avoid blur) so this should be a nice upgrade for those who are okay staying at 1440p.

That said, if the Neo Neo G9 gets QD OLED and 1600 vertical pixels, all bets are off and I'd go back to monitors. It needs it and would be a perfect candidate.

any reason to pick the G2 over the C2?
G2 will be brighter.

Interesting l guess this is Samsung's competition for LG OLED !
More than competition: It looks like it's going to be simply better and may significantly reduce burn-in potential as well.

Software performance, unforseen issues, and a big price delta would be the only reasons to not go with one of these Sammys if early reports are accurate.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Are we expecting those to cost more than other OLEDs?

I would expect so, they will be made in smaller numbers.
It's interesting that Samsung have come straight out of the door with some 34inch PC monitor sizes, which hopefully means they have got mass production geared up for this and the prices won't be ridiculous.
I'd still brace for an OLED tv like price tho.

Interesting l guess this is Samsung's competition for LG OLED !
It's been on the cards for a while, we've all been waiting patiently.
It's exciting as Samsung and Sony also have shown TVs for this year utilising this, so there is going to be more choice than just going to LG now.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I would expect so, they will be made in smaller numbers.
It's interesting that Samsung have come straight out of the door with some 34inch PC monitor sizes, which hopefully means they have got mass production geared up for this and the prices won't be ridiculous.
I'd still brace for an OLED tv like price tho.
I mean I only paid about $1000 for my LG C1, so I'm very interested in seeing where a TV with this comes in on price. I have no objections to returning the C1 or selling the C1 later if it's as good as suggested.

As for the monitor, can't do it. Specs look great but it probably can't downsample to 4K and that's a show-stopper for me now. My monitor pulls double duty for TV/Netflix and such and 4K on the LG OLED TV has spoiled me in unexpected ways after using a 3440x1440 ultra-wide for the last several years (all Alienwares).

LG say it is brighter than the C2 through new processing and better thermal control - what this translates into in something you can see is another question.
If the Sammy tech here is really giving them as much as a 25% brightness advantage, I'm definitely picking one up to replace my C1. I just need to know when they're expected to arrive. I can suck it up and go back to my AW34DW for a couple of months if arrival is not too much farther out than that.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
price? probably 2k lol. i can just get a double sized oled tv for half the price

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I mean I only paid about $1000 for my LG C1, so I'm very interested in seeing where a TV with this comes in on price. I have no objections to returning the C1 or selling the C1 later if it's as good as suggested.

As for the monitor, can't do it. Specs look great but it probably can't downsample to 4K and that's a show-stopper for me now. My monitor pulls double duty for TV/Netflix and such and 4K on the LG OLED TV has spoiled me in unexpected ways after using a 3440x1440 ultra-wide for the last several years (all Alienwares).

It think take a look at the other top spec PC monitors out there right now, Samsung's most recent gaming monitor (ultrawide 34inch) is $1,479
Now either Dell choose to compete directly with that, or because they believe theirs is more premium, they introduce it into a higher price bracket.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I managed to convince work to buy me a Dell 34" Ultrawide monitor for Home working last year, though it was only 60Hz.
Wonder if I can convince them I need this.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
This is the first I'm hearing of the new OLED technology. Is there a reason it's 1000 nits but only HDR400? Seems like a typo?

It's cool this is coming out, I have an OLED TV and it really spoils you. I've been planning to build a gaming PC for awhile but I refuse to buy overpriced parts from scalpers or spend hours tracking stuff down. So I'm probably looking at like 2023, maybe even 2024 (knock on wood), hopefully there will be reasonably priced versions of this by then. Reasonably priced meaning $1500 or less, I know they're not going to be cheap.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It think take a look at the other top spec PC monitors out there right now, Samsung's most recent gaming monitor (ultrawide 34inch) is $1,479
Now either Dell choose to compete directly with that, or because they believe theirs is more premium, they introduce it into a higher price bracket.
Ah I see. So we may reach Neo G9 territory (just got one of those for $2k that's going back).

Yea if the monitor is just that much better, it can ask that kind of money. It's really too bad they didn't move up to 1600 vertical pixels for this product line, as my last 2 monitors have been Alienware AW34xx models and I've been happy with all of them. But that's the big jump that I felt they needed to make and it's just tilting me that they didn't. But it may keep the MSRP a little lower than we think it will land at.

For those that will be happy with 1440 vertical, I think this will probably be something of an end-game monitor (in so much as one can exist). True 175Hz refresh with OLED color performance and response times that is reliable enough to avoid burn-in? It's...perfect for what they went for.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
For monitors, it's specifically their VA panels that have pretty extreme QC issues. It's likely due to how their VA panels work (at least for the C7 series). I ordered their 32" 1440p VA panel last month and had to return it due to it exhibiting all of the reported issues people were talking about.

Its true they have issues but I feel they are easy to deal with. For example the scanline issue, it is extremely rare that it occurs. I was able to reproduce it under certain conditions mentioned on the web but I never encountered it while playing any video game, and I tested huge number of games on my system. its pretty negligible, even HU which released a video about Samsung's QC issues, did agree its a small issue thats not gonna affect gameplay experience in anyway. however, I won't get it if I do art/color critical work.

Backlight bleed is there but again, just turn on local dimming and now your screen is completely black with noticeably higher contrast and no bleed.

I think the issues are not deal breaker for gaming use, they are small and can be avoided/improved. In the end you still get a very nice VA panel with amazing performance and amazing picture quality, and high contrast improves games a lot for me, especially games like RE Village. Its still worth it imo but they should improve their QC process for sure.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
2 grand or more is hard to swallow for me personally but this is dope. I think my budget for a monitor is around $1300 max and that's only if I'm ticking every box.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I know TVs are a way better value but it always blows me away that people use 48" TVs as monitors. Even the new 42" LG seems ridiculous to me. 32" is borderline. I use dual 27" monitors at work and never wants anything bigger.