dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Does anyone know if Dell charges when the order is placed or when it ships?
Shipped. It's just an auth charge until then.

• How and when will Dell charge my credit card?
  • After your order is placed an authorization hold will be placed on your credit card equaling the amount that will be charged for your order.
  • Depending on your banking institution, the authorization hold may remain on your credit card for up to 5 business days.
  • NOTE: The authorization hold may disappear from your credit card depending on how long it takes to build and ship your system, however, this does not mean the order has been cancelled.
  • Dell charges your credit card when your order is shipped.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Shipped. It's just an auth charge until then.

• How and when will Dell charge my credit card?
  • After your order is placed an authorization hold will be placed on your credit card equaling the amount that will be charged for your order.
  • Depending on your banking institution, the authorization hold may remain on your credit card for up to 5 business days.
  • NOTE: The authorization hold may disappear from your credit card depending on how long it takes to build and ship your system, however, this does not mean the order has been cancelled.
  • Dell charges your credit card when your order is shipped.
You are the GOAT! Thank you!

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I set my monitor to HDR1000 the windows desktop appears dimmer than with 400, is that expected? I have HDR color on in windows.

Move down your "SDR Content Brightness" slider (in the Windows HDR settings), by default it's way too high, makes SDR look washed out and artificially bright when it's forced to run in HDR. Plus since it's telling Windows to use full HDR brightness it's going to kick in the monitor's ABL more aggressively and dim the screen. Since Windows desktop isn't actually HDR, you're just forcing it's SDR desktop and apps into an HDR wrapper so to speak. The trick is to move that slider down until things still look like normal SDR at normal SDR brightness levels, so actual SDR content can still look correct and like SDR. Actual HDR content wont be affected by that slider and you'll get the full peak brightness regardless of what you set that slider to.

If you set it too high, your monitor is going to keep kicking in the ABL and dim the screen the more area of the screen gets covered with peak brightness. If you set it correct and not radioactively bright, it shouldn't be an issue. Or if you do plan on running forced SDR desktop into HDR 24/7 AND you want to run your desktop super dang bright (basically anything over 200+ nits) then just stick with TB400. It's HDR peak brightness wont reach as high as HDR1000 but because it doesn't get as bright as HDR1000 it also won't kick in the monitor's ABL as aggressively and dim the screen.

Last edited:

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing delivery for June timeline, is that correct? :(

Yeah I'm seeing the same. Honestly, this would have been a bit of an impulse buy, since I do most of my gaming (PC included) on the couch. I'm just going to wait and see what else pops up in the next few months/year. Other companies, including Samsung themselves will come out with competing monitors with the same/similar panel. Maybe this model will still be the best of the lot, but I might as well wait and see if I'm going to have to wait until June to receive it anyway.

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Yeah I'm seeing the same. Honestly, this would have been a bit of an impulse buy, since I do most of my gaming (PC included) on the couch. I'm just going to wait and see what else pops up in the next few months/year. Other companies, including Samsung themselves will come out with competing monitors with the same/similar panel. Maybe this model will still be the best of the lot, but I might as well wait and see if I'm going to have to wait until June to receive it anyway.

Good point, this looks excellent but if i can't even get it for several months I may as well wait and see what happens.

OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
It still boggles my mind when I read reviews, albiet with high scores, complaining about the pixel density of this montior, while also praising 40+ inch 4K monitors. This monitor is more pixel dense than those lol.

Oct 27, 2017
It still boggles my mind when I read reviews, albiet with high scores, complaining about the pixel density of this montior, while also praising 40+ inch 4K monitors. This monitor is more pixel dense than those lol.

The pixel density is fine for the screen size, ramping it up to 4K would cost way too much as far as compute power goes. It probably would have pushed me away from it.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
The pixel density is fine for the screen size, ramping it up to 4K would cost way too much as far as compute power goes. It probably would have pushed me away from it.
I know I wouldn't have bought it if it was 4K. Monitor would have cost even more and the GPU performance at 4k ultrawide is an issue. I have a 3080ti, I can get away with 4K60 (16x9) in most games but I just don't want to struggle at ultrawide 4K. I can't even get 144fps in many games at 1440p unless they're lightweight games tbh, let alone 175. I also like how cool and quiet my GPU is at 1440p vs 4K where its at a constant 99-100% GPU load heh.

This was just the absolute best case scenario for me, sweet spot resolution and cost. If I have the overhead in a game, Nvidia's new DLDSR works WONDERS to downsample and create a pristine image. Seriously, it almost makes it look like my monitor is 4K with all the perfect pixels and added detail.

OP
OP
Vanta Aurelius
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I know I wouldn't have bought it if it was 4K. Monitor would have cost even more and the GPU performance at 4k ultrawide is an issue. I have a 3080ti, I can get away with 4K60 (16x9) in most games but I just don't want to struggle at ultrawide 4K. I can't even get 144fps in many games at 1440p unless they're lightweight games tbh, let alone 175. I also like how cool and quiet my GPU is at 1440p vs 4K where its at a constant 99-100% GPU load heh.

This was just the absolute best case scenario for me, sweet spot resolution and cost. If I have the overhead in a game, Nvidia's new DLDSR works WONDERS to downsample and create a pristine image. Seriously, it almost makes it look like my monitor is 4K with all the perfect pixels and added detail.

I 100% agree! This montior allows for pristine visual quality while extending the life of your high end GPU.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Can you point to some of those reviews? Just so I know which ones to not take that seriously in the future. lol

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Seems like color fringing will be the main downside of this technology. So it's not just a pixel density but also a pixel structure issue.

www.heise.de

Alienware-Monitor mit QD-OLED im Test: Samsungs Display-Technik ist verkorkst

Der erste QD-OLED-Monitor, Alienwares AW3423DW, deckt ein grundlegendes Problem von Samsungs neuer Panel-Technik auf: Kontraststarke Kanten sind nervig bunt.

Bunte_Kanten-38453fbcebf9e4d9.jpg

It's like a slight chromatic aberration effect on any lines with sharp contrast. Especially noticeable on text. Higher ppi should alleviate this so I am hoping for advancements in that direction.

Here are some more examples by a person on Reddit:

Ca4BF2M.jpg

Last edited:

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Just my 2 cents on the matter…

That color fringing is so overblown imo, all these pics of it are from so close you can see the pixels of the screen. That image for example, look how zoomed in and cropped it is in order to point out the thing heh.

It's what I was most worried about while waiting on my monitor to arrive and after using the monitor for a week it's such a complete non issue (for me). You seriously have to be like within face distance to begin to notice it.

I don't know how close these people are sitting to the monitor but my eyes are closer than arm distance from the screen (and I have short arms) and it's not an issue. Like seriously.

If I move in much closer, then I start to notice it in very specific scenarios only, and def will never notice it in gaming.

I honestly think it's a going it be a non issue for the vast majority of people getting it. Unless I'm in the minority and most of you guys sit like a foot away from the screen, I dunno.

That's all I'll add on the subject.

EDIT: Holy crap I just saw that notepad example and recreated it on my end. That photo is SOOOOOO over-exaggerating the fringing lol. It does not look even half that bad in person cmon now. That photo is zoomed in and the camera is blurring everything and distorting the fringing.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After getting my order cancelled, and just being so busy. I decided to cancel my order as it wasn't supposed to come until June. I'll just wait and see what kind of offers pop up or what Samsung comes out with as I'm not really in a rush.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
WOLED also has some fringing but it seems to be horizontal rather than vertical. Only the JOLED panel monitors with traditional RGB pixel structure don't have this issue as far as I can see.
Unfortunately, the 32" LG using the JOLED panel is $4K and only 60hz. Fine for the audience it's aimed at, but not for gamers. I wonder if this is why Samsung hasn't even announced any QD-OLED monitors yet. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Just my 2 cents on the matter…

That color fringing is so overblown imo, all these pics of it are from so close you can see the pixels of the screen. That image for example, look how zoomed in and cropped it is in order to point out the thing heh.

It's what I was most worried about while waiting on my monitor to arrive and after using the monitor for a week it's such a complete non issue (for me). You seriously have to be like within face distance to begin to notice it.

I don't know how close these people are sitting to the monitor but my eyes are closer than arm distance from the screen (and I have short arms) and it's not an issue. Like seriously.

If I move in much closer, then I start to notice it in very specific scenarios only, and def will never notice it in gaming.

I honestly think it's a going it be a non issue for the vast majority of people getting it. Unless I'm in the minority and most of you guys sit like a foot away from the screen, I dunno.

That's all I'll add on the subject.

EDIT: Holy crap I just saw that notepad example and recreated it on my end. That photo is SOOOOOO over-exaggerating the fringing lol. It does not look even half that bad in person cmon now. That photo is zoomed in and the camera is blurring everything and distorting the fringing.
Does disabling cleartype or using the Mactype software mitigate the issue (however small it may be)?

CNSBarry

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone with this monitor measure it from Left to Right please - need to know if it'll fit on my existing desk.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Seems like color fringing will be the main downside of this technology. So it's not just a pixel density but also a pixel structure issue.

www.heise.de

Der erste QD-OLED-Monitor, Alienwares AW3423DW, deckt ein grundlegendes Problem von Samsungs neuer Panel-Technik auf: Kontraststarke Kanten sind nervig bunt.

It's like a slight chromatic aberration effect on any lines with sharp contrast. Especially noticeable on text. Higher ppi should alleviate this so I am hoping for advancements in that direction.

Ca4BF2M.jpg
Disabling cleartype should help with text - that makes assumptions about the pixel structure and whether it's RGB or BGR: these don't use this standard structure.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Unfortunately, the 32" LG using the JOLED panel is $4K and only 60hz. Fine for the audience it's aimed at, but not for gamers. I wonder if this is why Samsung hasn't even announced any QD-OLED monitors yet. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do.
Yeah, they're not great for gaming but prices are actually coming down, at least here in Europe. I've been thinking about maybe getting the 32EP950 if it crosses the 2000€ barrier.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Imagine for a second that the monitor was 6880x2880.

You could still run games with 3440x1440 internal resolution using 2X integer scaling. You would get the exact same performance and image quality you are getting with the current monitor. For desktop applications you could run at native resolution, and it is theoretically possible to run that resolution at up to 240 Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, 10-bit color using HDMI 2.1 with DSC. That's really the ideal design point, all other things being equal. You can hit a good balance of image quality and framerate in games with 2X scaling, while also having superior text and image rendering in desktop applications. It's the best of both worlds.

The unknown part is how difficult it would be to manufacture such a display, but all the other technology you need already exists.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Does disabling cleartype or using the Mactype software mitigate the issue (however small it may be)?

Disabling cleartype makes text nice and sharp again yes, but it doesn't change the fringing (which again you can't notice unless you're close to the monitor).

EDIT: I mean resetting cleartype to default using BetterClearType tool. MacType looks too complicated and I don't think I need it

Last edited:

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have any problems with the text. I see the color fringing others have talked about, but it's a minor nuisance to me. I actually see chromatic aberration on the edges of high contrast elements across all displays due to my glasses as well. So maybe I'm just used to it.

IPS BLB, VA smearing, or FALD haloing are all issues I'd consider much worse, not that I don't think this isn't a serious issue for some, but that's just my opinion on it.

Uniformity of this panel is very good also, at least on my unit. I've had past LCDs like the PG297Q where a full white screen would show variation in brightness across the entire panel. It is uniform here. Completely white too, no tinting. My LG OLED TV has a slight pink tint on a white screen.

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

www.heise.de

Ca4BF2M.jpg

This honestly seems like a dealbreaker to me.. I know people are really zooming in to highlight the issue and make it look worse than it probably is in person, but chromatic aberration type effects give me a headache. And even if you can't see these without really zooming it, the fact that they'll always be there even if not noticeable in the overall zoomed out image makes me worry that it'll lead to eye fatigue like regular CA does. Text might just be the most obvious place that this effect is, but it's likely on any edge that has a large contrast between colors.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
This honestly seems like a dealbreaker to me.. I know people are really zooming in to highlight the issue and make it look worse than it probably is in person, but chromatic aberration type effects give me a headache. And even if you can't see these without really zooming it, the fact that they'll always be there even if not noticeable in the overall zoomed out image makes me worry that it'll lead to eye fatigue like regular CA does. Text might just be the most obvious place that this effect is, but it's likely on any edge that has a large contrast between colors.

Yeah you know your eyes and body the best so you do you, but I can't stress enough how badly over exaggerated those photos are. The camera is over exposing and smearing the fringing to make it look like it's several pixels worth of smearing tall. Every photo I've seen makes it look about 10x worse than it is in person.

I would not be using the monitor if it was even 1/4 as bad as those images make it seem.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
CA effects are typically laid on pretty heavy and combined with a high amount of blur to exaggerate or create the certain type of CA we're used to. With this sort of fringing, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people have used displays with a similar effect in the past but either just haven't noticed it or just thought it looked funny before getting used to it. If there were significant ghosting or smearing I'd be worried but doesn't seem to be an issue at all due to the tech.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
The reviewer from that German site posted an update on Reddit:

Follow-up: I've played around with the monitor in the afternoon today. Simply put: Adjusted ClearType makes things better for black on white font to a degree where it is barely noticable after getting used to it. Dark font on light backgrounds though make my eyes bleed every time I look at the screen.

This issue is highly subjective. Some colleagues I've asked to look at the screen and tell, if there's something up with it, barely noticed it, others freaked out (like me). I'm preparing a follow-up article and will probably make and own post about it here.

Oct 30, 2017
i'm sure the issue is minor in regular use, but it does seem that this monitor would be unusable for critical photo editing work, which i'd want to use it for as well as gaming. that's unfortunate

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
The issue is indeed subjective. I've used the monitor exclusively for text based work and I find the text clarity to be fine. The combination of the higher resolution and the screen distance to where I sit make it manageable. I see what people might be complaining about if I take a literal magnifying glass to the monitor.

What I'll do later time permitting is take both my previous monitor and this new one, mirror the desktop on both and take photos of text to show what I'm talking about.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I don't have the funds to buy this right now but I was really hoping to make this my new display, despite not being 1600p 38 inch. The color fringing is something that will bother me all the time so I guess the wait for OLED monitors continues.

growler

Oct 26, 2017
the 3 month wait on this monitor is bonkers. are any other retailers getting these, or is ordering direct from dell the only option?