• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It's Wednesday Night and you know what that means! ;)

Hello and welcome to the AEW Dynamite OT in its new location (for better or worse). Here we talk about all things All Elite Wrestling with matches from Dynamite, Dark and Elevatiion as well as other content related to the brand. Due to the move, we'll try something different. This thread will be created in the aftermath of every PPV. Now let's do this recap!

First and foremost, Nick Khan its turning out to be the most shrewd member of the other company. Reports were out about an attempt by him to get exclusive American rights to wrestlers in New Japan with negotiations happening in March to early April. My guess is that things fell through. It was likely an attempt to shut down the Forbidden Door but also a means to try and keep the man formerly known as Daniel Bryan into the fold. Since he had left the company, I can only assume those efforts have failed. And to put those fears in doubt. Tony Khan responded with the wrestling shoot of the decade:

The guy even got New Japan's permission. So those rumors have been squashed. Now on to the actual wrasslin':

Let's get this one out of the way first: Miro finally graduated out of that feud with the Best Friends and moved on to bigger and better things, breaking Kip Sapian's hand to get rid of that deadweight in pursuit of title gold. And yes, he has finally succeeded in that goal, defeating that skateboarding punk Darby Allin to become the next TNT Championship.

tenor.gif

And by the looks of it, it was just the right amount of heat he needed to get him connected with the fans. He tossed aside Dante Martin before vanquishing the Murderhawk Monster Lance Archer and his manager Jake Roberts. Not even pythons will get in the way of his desire to keep the title.

6d57ed467766bf5a-600x338.gif

Now let's not devalue Darby Allin here. After defeating Team Taz, Darby Allin played a more active role in his defense of the TNT title, win wins over Johnny Hungie, Dark Order #10, Joey Janela and Jungle Boy. Of course, part of the reason that he lost the title was due to the actions of one of his title contenders: Scorpio Sky. After distancing himself from SCU, he found a kindred spirit in Ethan Page, another narcissist who felt that he deserved more recognition. Together, they've become an unlikely duo, harassing everyone they felt didn't deserve the spotlight, including old man Sting. Their issues were resolved at Double or Nothing where the Stinger proved that his feeble stunt in Vincentland was but a mere fluke, no selling offense and placing arrogant heels in Scorpion Death Locks. It was a heartwarming moment for those who remember the days of WCW when the Icon was the top babyface of the company.

tenor.gif

Meanwhile in the women's division, Hikaru Shida's dream of showcasing talent in the women's division was slowly coming to fruition. The Women's tournament provided some of the best singles matches in the show's history as well as elevating everyone involved (unfortunate Anna Jay injury aside). In the end, Shida took on an old foe in Ryo Mizunami and got her first win against the tough competitor.

0940a7006c56200722fd4da5578bb60c0024a7f7.gif

And yet while Shida was enjoying her fame, another woman was planning for the perfect opportunity. You see, Britt Baker has always seen herself as the role model of AEW and winning the title prove all the doubters wrong. She only needed to let the other dominos fall around her. Red Velvet tried to take on Jade in singles competition this time around only to come up short. Nyla's overconfidence cost her against Tay Conti, who put up a valiant but losing effort to Shida in the title match. All while she played it safe against lesser foes. Thus she played her cards right to get a title spot. And indeed she overcame the odds and became the next AEW Women's champion. It was an incredulous journey for the dentist from being frowned upon by Tony to getting a standing ovation from the crowd even as the heel. Credit goes to Shida though for holding down the fort for longer than any other champion around.

2783927356c59b4c18fb6d43e2543311b98a3338.gifv

Slowly but surely, the women's division is coming around thanks to great booking and some much needed returns. Jade has already shown to be an intimidating new presence in the division. Kris Statlander is back from an injury. Big Swole has been medically cleared to compete again. Allie has regained her confidence to return to the ring. Even Riho is expected to have a greater presence in the scene with her move. Yet it is Thunder Rosa, a woman still signed to NWA, who has blossomed the greatest in this time. Despite failing to beat Britt Baker in 2 separate occasions, she got her revenge in one of the best matches of the time frame in an unsanctioned match that was the first women's match to main event. You can expect her to bring that up as she strives to become the next challenger for the belt (and a much better one at that).

10db6f5e992e7305c72b1db346e08377ee8670ed.gifv

Going back to Jade and Red Velvet, they were part of a feud with Cody Rhodes and Shaq. Yet it seems that that was only the beginning of the cracks forming in the Nightmare Family. After seeing the likes of Red Velvet and Lee Johnson overtake him as legit stars, QT Marshall has grown restless. After breaking up the tag team with Dustin Rhodes, those acts of insubordination has evolved into full-blown rebellion, forming a Factory of his own with fellow disgruntled wrestlers Aaron Solow, Nick Comorato and former boxer Anthony Ogogo, the later going about on how America hasn't been living up its ideals as a great nation and all that... I mean he does have a point there. Anyways, Cody won because Memorial Day and 'Murica but this won't be the end of the feud just yet.

b8bc5f6320bdc6bf2b8d79aa5228a7bb491d40bd.gifv

Maxwell Jacob Friedman's plan to bring chaos to the Inner Circle became much more apparent, with his toxic influence causing Sammy Guevara to leave the group (some say he went of a stinct at Impact Wrestling, but those rumors were unfounded). Yet the bond between them was more than enough to root out the problem. What we didn't expect was MJF revealing a team of his own. The Pinnacle, consisting of FTR, Tully Blanchard, a returning Shawn Spears, Wardlow and that rich asshole himself, was a plan months in the making. It's honestly something everyone should have seen coming. Of course he would try and create a group to outshine the original top ranked heel faction. The two groups have been feuding ever since, trading victories in WarGames Blood and Guts as well as the second ever Stadium Stampede. We can expect his feud to continue in the coming months.

giphy.gif

The biggest news of AEW is the continued reign of the Elite, led by Kenny Omega, the Good Brothers and the conniving Don Callis. He managed to retain the title against Jon Moxley in a rematch that... left a lot to be desired. But it did gain new respect for Eddie Kingston. Sure he had issues with his friend, but trying to get him killed was a step too far. Together, they have been the biggest thorn to the Elite over the months. And it seemed like the Young Bucks would join their side... that is until they teamed up in a match. That Don put in words into their ears that made them sympathetic to Kenny's attempts of proving to be the best there is when the Young Bucks already have in the tag team department. The heel turn may have been abrupt, but there are very few people who would say that it isn't a better look for them. Ever since the turn, they have turned this up to levels not seen before. They mocked hot tags, performed low blows, removed masks from luchadors, sprayed innocent cheerleaders. Hell, they even put down the beloved SCU team by desecrating one of the most heartbreaking retirements in the history of wrestling. And by dispatching Moxley and Kingston for now, they remain at the top of the tag team division.

07a4232c3d9477853ee43639f0aff73200363125.gifv

It has only caused Omega to turn to more despicable acts. Besides trying to explode Moxley, he also had Eddie Kingston' leg broken and tried to manipulate a concussed man out of a title shot. While PAC and Orange Cassidy came close in the first ever triple-threat match for the title, Kenny Omega gas come out on top. Now, he also has both the TNA and Impact titles. There is no telling where he will set his eyes on next.

i166LIE.gif

The main thing happening is that the landscape is changing, with people forming factions in order to compete. Matt Hardy has created the Hardy Family Office, adding the Butcher and the Blade to the mix in order to win gold and combat the Dark Order. Hangman Adam Page has finally accepted the later into his family as he tries to rehabilitate his chance of another title shot. Team Taz has had a rougher time, with Ricky Starks getting injured and Brian Cage having enough of needing to cheat in order to get ahead in life. Best Friends is back to full strength and has added resident alien Statlander into the fold. They are likely to feud with the return of the Death Triangle as the trios titles are likely soon. Jurassic Express gained a new theme song and have been switching between tag competition and building up Jungle Boy as a singles competitor, including an upcoming title shot against Kenny Omega himself. Even Big Swole and Red Velvet have a group going on with Kylinn King. On and Ryan Nemeth actually became a thing... with some help of course. Good job.

c73add2a4aad458163c09a2d3a500964411fb13a.gifv

As for the Forbidden Door itself... it's more of a slightly ajar door. This is mostly due to the relentless wrath of the 'rona which has not set its sites on Japan. But there is hope that the coming months will signal the end of those harsh times and with that the opportunity for more talent from multiple promotions to wrestle in AEW. Time will tell on how that will go, but we can only hope that things will go well. Revolution had some bumps along the way, but with the way Double or Nothing went, it's safe to say the show is in good hands.

That doesn't mean that there aren't any lone wolves out there. The biggest one at the moment being the biggest signing of an active wrestler so far: Christian Cage. Seeing how he would likely be booked in the competition alongside edge, he hooved it to AEW, where he's been earning wins the hard way with all sorts of tough competition. It's only a matter of time before he gets a title shot. While it may not be the signing people were expecting, here's a ton of interesting prospects out there. It's truly one of the most exciting times for free agents in a long time. Who knows who may enter an AEW ring in the near future?

6191e0a0a59b4f91787fe811a7bb152885fb6cfc.gifv

Oh and Booty Buttcheecks. That is all.

tenor.gif

And be on the lookout for Sonny Kiss and Joey Janela as the possible grudge match between the two will likely be the sleeper hit of the next PPV which is All Out.

Now for the Primer from Rivenblade

Just going back around to this.

An AEW Primer

Where can I find out more about AEW?

Where can I watch AEW television and PPVs?

What if I want to catch up on EVERY episode of Dynamite?
You can! They're all available for free on BR Live.

Are there other AEW shows in addition to Dynamite?
Yes!
  • AEW Dark: Elevation airs on Mondays at 7PM EST, and AEW Dark airs on Tuesdays at 7PM EST on the official AEW YouTube page. These shows largely feature unsigned and/or younger talent wrestling against main roster performers. Elevation has more of a focus on story and character moments, while Dark is usually just matches.

Is there any other ancillary content I should be aware of?
While not 100% necessary, if you want to go beyond official AEW shows, you can also check out:
  • Being the Elite YT page (the most essential of all of these. It's a skit show that often has important story morsels and lots of roster cameos. Highly recommended)
  • The Sammy Guevara vlog (lots of cameos from AEW talent, and backstage videos. Sometimes crosses over with Being the Elite)
  • Nightmare Family YT page (lots of early AEW history in the oldest videos going back to the All In show)
  • Plenty of wrestlers have their own YT pages too, such as Ethan Page and Matt Hardy. Explore on your own. :)

List of AEW PPV events

VIEWING GUIDE (links provided when available)

Double or Nothing PPV (Watch all of it. Best wrestling show of 2019)

Road To Double or Nothing (sixteen 5-10 minute episodes. The "Road To" series is can't-miss in general)
PRE-SHOW
FULL SHOW ($14.99)
MUST WATCH: Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes
Cody's throne breaker entrance (in Alucard gear and sending the first message to Vince and Triple H)
Cody's now-infamous "I need my older brother" post-match promo
Jon Moxley's now-infamous debut backstage promo after the event
Post-show footage

Fyter Fest PPV (Free on BRLive.com. A fun show top to bottom. Worth the time)
Road To Fyter Fest Ep.1
Road To Fyter Fest Ep.2
Road To Fyter Fest Ep.3
PRE-SHOW
FULL SHOW (free)
MUST-WATCH: Cody vs. Darby Allin, Bucks and Kenny vs. Lucha Bros. and Laredo Kid, Jon Moxley vs. Joey Janela lights out match
Also fun: Christopher Daniels vs. CIMA, Riho vs. Yuka Sakazaki vs. Nyla Rose

Fight for the Fallen PPV (Free on BRLive.com. A mixed bag of a show)
Road To Fight for the Fallen Ep.1
Road To Fight for the Fallen Ep.2
Road To Fight for the Fallen Ep.3
PRE-SHOW
FULL SHOW (free)
MUST-WATCH: Kenny Omega vs. CIMA
Also fun: SCU vs. Lucha Bros
Optional: main event between The Young Bucks and Cody/Dustin
Cody's post-show promo ("When this group goes to TNT this fall...are you coming with us?")

All Out PPV (Worth watching the entire thing. FIRST AEW CHAMPION IS CROWNED)
Road To All Out Ep.1 (these are ALL MUST-WATCH)
Road To All Out Ep.2
Road To All Out Ep.3
Road To All Out Ep.4
Road To All Out Ep.5
Road To All Out Ep.6
Road To All Out Ep.7
Countdown to All Out
PRE-SHOW
FULL SHOW (free): PART 1 and PART 2
MUST WATCH: Kenny Omega vs. PAC, The Young Bucks vs. The Lucha Bros, Hangman (on a horse!) vs. Chris Jericho
Post-show interviews (the birth of Jericho's early catchphrase, "A little bit of the bubbly!")
Jericho lost the title at a Longhorn Steakhouse. This was his video covering for it

-----
Road To AEW on TNT Ep.1
Road To AEW on TNT Ep.2
Road To AEW on TNT Ep.3
Road To AEW on TNT Ep.4
Countdown to AEW Dynamite special

AEW DYNAMITE STARTS!

Dynamite Episode 1, 2019-10-02
Cody vs. Sammy Guevara, Hangman Page vs. PAC, Riho vs. Nyla to crown first women's champion, Young Bucks/Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho(c)/Santana/Ortiz, formation of the Inner Circle, Moxley Paradigm Shifts Kenny through a glass table

Dynamite Episode 2, 2019-10-09
Hangman Page/Dustin Rhodes vs. Chris Jericho(c)/Sammy Guevara, Emi Sakura/Bea Priestley vs. Riho/Britt Baker, Jimmy Havoc vs. Darby Allin (#1 contender's match to face Chris Jericho), Jon Moxley vs. Shawn Spears, Tag Team Tournament (TTT) begins, TTT round 1: Young Bucks vs. Private Party

...that's all I've got for now

One more thing, we have the debut of AEW Rampage coming up, an hour-long showcase of more of that wrestling goodness. It starts at August 13th 10/9c and will air every Friday. The first episode is set to take place live in Pittsburg, PA. Confirmed matches are Miro vs Fuego del Sol for the TNT Championship, Kenny Omega vs Christian Cage for the Impact World Championship and hometown hero Britt Baker vs Red Velvet for the AEW Women's Championship.

Trailer:

Where to watch:
USA: TNT
Canada: TSN Direct, with certain episodes airing on the network proper. For example, The First Dance is scheduled to air at 11 ET on TSN2.
Everywhere else: Fite.tv

Last edited:

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
The funny thing is AEW had that rating on the go-home show Friday then followed it up with their most purchased PPV in company history on Sunday.

I'd imagine next week is going up some just based off of people not travelling for a holiday. This past weekend was the first time I travelled in over a year to see family and didn't watch the show until Sunday. I'd assume others were in a similar situation but that's a rough timeslot regardless.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
New thread? :D Yaaaay. I'm just not going to think about ratings until we are past this Friday night nonsense. A shame they had their momentum cut off just like that. I imagine it will take a while for them to get back all the Wednesday fans when they do eventually go back, but I'm hoping hot crowds will help draw eyeballs when they do go back to Wednesday in one or two weeks.

Last edited:

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The funny thing is AEW had that rating on the go-home show Friday then followed it up with their most purchased PPV in company history on Sunday.

I'd imagine next week is going up some just based off of people not travelling for a holiday. This past weekend was the first time I travelled in over a year to see family and didn't watch the show until Sunday. I'd assume others were in a similar situation but that's a rough timeslot regardless.

It's a 9pm Friday show and they are rightly booking a bunch of c tier throwaway matches.

They'll do similar or worse.

The move to TBS is likely a good one

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Ratings this month will be shit. It doesn't matter. AEW just got an updated TV deal that's going to make them a lot more money.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
It's Wednesday. You know what that means. ❤️

THE THEME! 💀

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Gotta say, the Moxley/Kingston v Young Bucks match was probably my favourite match of the year so far. The ENERGY was off the charts thanks to crowds being back. The love for Eddie too.

One of the most feel-good matches I can remember in some time because of everything else complimenting the match quality itself. What a group of absolute legends.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
How awesome has AEW been at building their young and homegrown talent?

I can now buy Orange Cassidy one day being AEW champion. Credit to Jericho for elevating him to this level and to TK for booking him in a title match where he felt like he belonged.

Jungle Boy feels like he could be the one to take the TNT title off Miro later this year, and it would be believable.

Darby is made, and I have to give a lot of the credit for that to TK pairing him with Sting. It felt a little forced at the start, but it now just feels right.

MJF is such a great shitheel. Jericho, Cody, and Moxley did the work of helping him to get to this level.

Britt Baker is only 30 years old and she feels like THE face of her division, and like she just belongs at the top. Credit to her and to the booking.

The only thing I can criticize about all of these great talents is that they're all white, and it would be nice if AEW could start positioning some POC talent in prominent roles too. Looks like they're getting ready to do that with Jade and hopefully Santana and Ortiz.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
LOL @ Excalibur ribbing Taz by saying the Gunn Club is his favourite father and son duo in AEW. Taz: "That's just...dirty. That's not nice."

And Taz's email address being goftwyourself.microsoft.13...com (or something). "There you have it folks. Taz loves your correspondence."

These two guys are magical together.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Hopes for the next three months.

It should go without saying at this point, more TV time for the women, I want (at least) 3 matches per week across Dynamite and Rampage + one non-title based storyline for TV too

With Butcher and Blade injured, it's time to put some focus back on Private Party, either as a trio with Matt or as a tag team.

Similarly, assuming the IC-Pinnacle feud ends before the next PPV, more focus and building up PnP as a big face team for the Bucks.

Anthony Ogogo to get to work a whole bunch of matches, just have him on Dark every week against some vets he can learn a lot from. And lose him from the Factory, he's bigger than that.

Start building up John Silver once he's fit to go and get Sonny Kiss on TV.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Nice thread

Excited to see crowds on a regular basis again

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad Dynamite isn't on tonight. I've made a habit about going to the local ice cream shop getting two scoops and coming home and watching Dynamite. There is something comforting about that. If I make it up until 10 I'll watch on Friday but usually that never happens.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sad Dynamite isn't on tonight. I've made a habit about going to the local ice cream shop getting two scoops and coming home and watching Dynamite. There is something comforting about that. If I make it up until 10 I'll watch on Friday but usually that never happens.

Yeah, it's been a weird break of routine for me too, but at least it's only temporary and won't be an issue at all once they're on TBS.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a huge bummer we're not getting Dynamite tonight. I also hate the 10pm slot - it's so hard to stay awake after 11 for me

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I know I'm probably very alone on this but I am peeved that they didn't put up the rankings last week. lol. I like the glimpse into the booking plans that they offer, especially now that we're post-PPV. One that came out from one of the Dark shows is that Leyla Hirsch is now ranked #5 so hopefully that means she's going to get built up for a title shot against Britt.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TONY, HIRE ALEISTER BLACK

I think of that list, he's the one AEW scoops up. Ruby's probably going to pop up at some point in the future for a short run, and Buddy Murphy might be around if AEW and NJPW have some talent exchanges (because I think Murphy goes to New Japan). Lana might appear in AEW with Miro here, but not in the context of her role in WWE where she was his manager because the man doesn't need one.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Fake edit: Just saw those releases and MY FUCKING GOD SIGN BLACK, RUBY, AND MURPHY
-----------------

I've been waffling on this for a few weeks but maybe you folks have better insight...
So over the last ~10 months the women's division has gone from an afterthought to a highlight of the night.

IF it meant more screen time for the division would folks be interested in seeing more women join in on the factions that have formed in AEW?

Currently we have Allie with HFO, Anna Jay with Dark Order, and Statlander with the Best Friends. I could see Diamante joining up with either Death Triangle or the Inner Circle (or head out of the IC with PnP). Tay should join Dark Order especially once Anna's cleared. Layla could join up with Team Taz, etc.

There's a group that any of the frequently featured women could logically team up with and if it means pulling the women into the existing feuds to get more story behind the matches I'd be down for it.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I think of that list, he's the one AEW scoops up. Ruby's probably going to pop up at some point in the future for a short run, and Buddy Murphy might be around if AEW and NJPW have some talent exchanges (because I think Murphy goes to New Japan). Lana might appear in AEW with Miro here, but not in the context of her role in WWE where she was his manager because the man doesn't need one.
agree. i'm sad because braun was the quintessential Vince top guy from the 80s, but completely mismanaged, and i don't see places like AEW hiring him. maybe NWA

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
So Black re-debuted, cost Big E the IC title then vanished into the shadow realm. wtf.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I'd be on board with Black and Murphy for sure.

I haven't seen enough of Ruby to know how much she'd bring to the table, but they should certainly be expanding their women's roster so any available, established women's talent needs to be considered.

I feel pretty confident we'll see Lana re-united on-screen with Miro.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I've been waffling on this for a few weeks but maybe you folks have better insight...
So over the last ~10 months the women's division has gone from an afterthought to a highlight of the night.

IF it meant more screen time for the division would folks be interested in seeing more women join in on the factions that have formed in AEW?

Currently we have Allie with HFO, Anna Jay with Dark Order, and Statlander with the Best Friends. I could see Diamante joining up with either Death Triangle or the Inner Circle (or head out of the IC with PnP). Tay should join Dark Order especially once Anna's cleared. Layla could join up with Team Taz, etc.

There's a group that any of the frequently featured women could logically team up with and if it means pulling the women into the existing feuds to get more story behind the matches I'd be down for it.

I'm in favor of it. Put more women in the existing men's stables, and create some women's stables- they've already got the starts of that with Swole/Velvet/King's group, and Vicki/Nyla and Britt/Reba can easily be expanded. IMO, stables are a great booking foundation and it would help the women to have the same foundation that the men's booking has.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Aleister's tweet that it was left field from him is wild. The dude had no idea it was coming

I'd like to see Aleister black lead the dark order. I'd be cool with that

Status
Not open for further replies.