• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
At the cost of frame rates. The 1X is disappointing IMO but it's not like the Pro is perfect.

Yeah, true. Surprised they went ahead with a dynamic implementation on the X and not on Pro. Ideal case scenario would have been the same treatment on Pro as well, even though the bigger drops you see on the video only last a few seconds while the alpha heavy effects remain on the screen.

I would also have liked to see them give a few minutes to mods as well, we know there are both 'lite' and 'heavy' mods available which increase/reduce foliage and other things, some of those might have positive benefits on performance just like others would have negative due to limited console memory.

But I really want to see the nut's reply in that comparison topic, I won't lie :p

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, true. Surprised they went ahead with a dynamic implementation on the X and not on Pro. Ideal case scenario would have been the same treatment on Pro as well, even though the bigger drops you see on the video only last a few seconds while the alpha heavy effects remain on the screen.

I would also have liked to see them give a few minutes to mods as well, we know there are both 'lite' and 'heavy' mods available which increase/reduce foliage and other things, some of those might have positive benefits on performance just like others would have negative due to limited console memory.

But I really want to see the nut's reply in that comparison topic, I won't lie :p

Yeah thankfully, while puzzling, the drawbacks aren't severe. I also would've liked to see them test out some mods, especially since it could have highlighted potential performance issues. I'm sure they are swamped as is though.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
It really is bizarre that XB1 X has dynamic res and Pro doesn't. One could almost be mistaken in thinking they swapped the builds by accident :P

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
This is why options are good. I'm not as concerned with framerates on SP games but in MP I really don't want to compromise performance for visuals if possible. It would be nice to at least have the option to choose between the two.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It really is bizarre that XB1 X has dynamic res and Pro doesn't. One could almost be mistaken in thinking they swapped the builds by accident :P
Bethesda have always treated their builds bizarrely. The 360 versions of their games had tearing, the PS3 versions were v-sync'd and dropped frames instead. That's a nonsensical decision. Either you favour slow down, tearing, or skipping frames, there's no reason to favour one for one machine and another for another.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Playing quite a bit of Gravity Rush 2 on the Pro right now. Is down sampling automatic, or is there a hidden option somewhere? Draw distance does seem improved, as does texture pop in, but that could be attributed to the improved hard drive.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nice. It does seem sharper with some areas looking straight up cell animation. I just haven't played on a vanilla PS4 in so long that I wasn't sure if it was just a placebo effect.

I encourage anyone with Borderlands: The Handsome Collection to revisit it with Boost Mode enabled. It really smooths out the performance in some of the more complex areas with the FOV set high. It isn't perfect, but definitely no longer nausea inducing.

the pro still warms up my room while visiting the blacksmith in nioh. that's an enhancement to me
"It only replaces space heaters."

Mine is warm too, but still whisper quiet when compared to my old standard PS4. That thing sounded like a jet engine for the 3 years that I had it.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
So I just got the pro and when I play the Witness it has a constant very loud buzz noise. It sounds like something is vibrating like crazy. Does it seem like I got a bad ps4 pro that needs to be replaced? This can't be normal.

When I played Knack 2 the console was kind of loud but it was just fan noise, zero buzz sound.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So I just got the pro and when I play the Witness it has a constant very loud buzz noise. It sounds like something is vibrating like crazy. Does it seem like I got a bad ps4 pro that needs to be replaced? This can't be normal.

When I played Knack 2 the console was kind of loud but it was just fan noise, zero buzz sound.

There shouldn't be any 'buzz' noise, at most you should hear the fans kicking in but that should be a very familiar sound. Also you can hear the disc drive whirring too when the game's installing but buzzing shouldn't be there.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sounds like coil whine. Does the noise happen only as soon as a Pro patched game starts? Because that's when the second half of the GPU gets activated and any coil whine will become apparent. If it's the fan then the noise will come and go throughout the game, the coil whine will be consistent.

Coil whine really annoys me on my PS4, perhaps more than the fans. Strangely my X has no audible coil whine whatsoever.

Coil whine explained here: https://lifehacker.com/this-video-explains-what-coil-whine-is-and-how-to-avoid-1669522880

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like coil whine. Does the noise happen only as soon as a Pro patched game starts? Because that's when the second half of the GPU gets activated and any coil whine will become apparent. If it's the fan then the noise will come and go throughout the game, the coil whine will be consistent.

Coil whine really annoys me on my PS4, perhaps more than the fans. Strangely my X has no audible coil whine whatsoever.

Coil whine explained here: https://lifehacker.com/this-video-explains-what-coil-whine-is-and-how-to-avoid-1669522880

Yeah it sounds like it's coil whine. It happened when I played The Witness. The 2nd time I played it was a little less noticeable. I'll have to try other games, hopefully it doesn't get too annoying. Battlefield 2 and Knack 2 don't have the issue.

TrollToll

Nov 5, 2017
So when is Bloodborne getting a Pro update? I know 4K 60fps is a stretch but I'd be happy with 4Kcb 30fps! Cmon Sony/From! This is not only one of the best exclusives on PS4 but my GOAT!

slashf

Oct 28, 2017
One game that gonna push the limits of the console is the new God Of War.
Santa Monica always create beatiful games, maybe the pro have same enhancements.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
One game that gonna push the limits of the console is the new God Of War.
Santa Monica always create beatiful games, maybe the pro have same enhancements.

At this point, following Horizon's lead, I fully expect all first party games to utilize CB or other rendering techniques to reach as close to 2160p as possible.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated the thread, but barely. I've only added one game, Star Ocean. My apologies that more is not forthcoming even after the delay, but surface research hasn't turned up any good material to check the other games that have come out in the interim. I'm busy with my other project, so I haven't been able to dig more deeply. If anyone can post 4K shots of unlisted games (or point me to some), I'd be more than happy to take a look.

Due to all the individual graphics settings Star Ocean has, it's difficult to precisely define how it runs. I've decided to use the fields normally used for resolution and framerate, and show both pieces of information in each. Instead, one column is the lowest performance at a given res (if all effects are turned to maximum), and the other column is the highest performance, which you'll reach as you turn effects down. (Note that you don't necessarily have to turn everything all the way down to get max framerate; on the lower resolution settings, you can hit the ceiling with more modest dialing back.) Hopefully this changed layout is clear to people.

(I also secretly hope not many games use this approach so my job is easier, though it's probably better if they do since it gives players more options.)

At this point, following Horizon's lead, I fully expect all first party games to utilize CB or other rendering techniques to reach as close to 2160p as possible.
The existing material for God of War is promotional shots, so not necessarily indicative of the real output of the finished game. But in them at least, the game is most definitely not using the specific Decima approach. It's much sharper than that, and doesn't seem to use any reconstruction method I know. Might not be the case in the final build, of course.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
So is it confirmed that the Pro without boost mode is operating 100% identically to a regular PS4?

Has there been some testing done?

Obviously talking about unpatched games here. Seems to me that it would be quite difficult to get completly identical performance with not identical hardware.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Shame, I thought there was talk of some sort of Pro enhancements for the lot.

If Sony were sensible and actually enabled proper Pro support in the PS2 emulator, there wouldn't need to be individual patches either. All of the resolution improvements are handled independently from the games themselves.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm curious what looks better, games running at higher than 1080p but not native 4K on a 4K tv or downsampling to 1080p on a 4K tv. I have a 4K tv (a pretty cheap one that I know is rubbish in the grand scheme of things) but I've yet to see proper 4K content on it besides the screensaver images. Playing GT Sport still looks great in 1080p to me on it, wondering if a game like that looks better staying at 1080p on a Pro, or using the faux K?

I will be getting a Pro early next year and can't wait, and while I'm not expecting miracles I am curious to see how much better my games looks. (GT Sport and Rocket League in endless rotation atm!).

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious what looks better, games running at higher than 1080p but not native 4K on a 4K tv or downsampling to 1080p on a 4K tv. I have a 4K tv (a pretty cheap one that I know is rubbish in the grand scheme of things) but I've yet to see proper 4K content on it besides the screensaver images. Playing GT Sport still looks great in 1080p to me on it, wondering if a game like that looks better staying at 1080p on a Pro, or using the faux K?

I will be getting a Pro early next year and can't wait, and while I'm not expecting miracles I am curious to see how much better my games looks. (GT Sport and Rocket League in endless rotation atm!).

The higher resolution will be better regardless of downsampling.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
Probably upgrading from a launch PS4 to a Pro to go with my new 4K/HDR TV when the sale starts on Sunday.

Would you all say the upgrade's been worth it? I've been reading up on reviews, but they're all a year old and talk about the limited library of 4K games at the time. How's the state of the PS4 Pro nowadays?

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Probably upgrading from a launch PS4 to a Pro to go with my new 4K/HDR TV when the sale starts on Sunday.

Would you all say the upgrade's been worth it? I've been reading up on reviews, but they're all a year old and talk about the limited library of 4K games at the time. How's the state of the PS4 Pro nowadays?

Couldn't be more happy with it, a great console to go with my 4K TV.

AndersK

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark

It's honestly really nice. If nothing else you're getting better ports*, and a decent 4K TV w/HDR is gonna be significantly better.

Playing the Horizon dlc right now and it's like Holy shit

*in some cases actual playable ports without sub 25 fps

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on Dead Rising 4 Pro enhancements?

Back of the box has the Pro enhanced label (not my image). But that label doesn't exactly guarantee any extra enhancements these days either.

capturej2rj5.jpg

Also this article:

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/feat...box-one-ps4-pro-xbox-one-x-comparison-1783729

Dead Rising 4 graphics PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One X
Fortunately, we were able to check out Dead Rising 4 on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. If you were expecting a massive boost over the game's Xbox One or PS4 versions, think again. Barring slightly sharper looking textures, lighting, and shadows thanks to a bump in resolution on the Xbox One X, it looks a bit better versus the PS4 Pro, but not as much as to warrant an upgrade to the Xbox One X. This is after a 4GB patch on the PS4 Pro and a 30GB update to the Xbox One X version of the game.

Dead Rising 4 frame rate PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One X
Unlike other games enhanced for the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, there's no option to choose a higher frame rate or better resolution, leaving you stuck with whatever Capcom has ascertained to be fit for your TV. This is disappointing considering the sheer number of zombies that populate the screen - the carnage that ensues would benefit from a smoother frame rate. If a 60fps experience is what you're looking for, the PC version is best for you, with this being achievable on a modest rig.

Last edited:

WilltheFo

Nov 11, 2017
A Hat in Time - PS4 Pro - 4K PNG
Overall, the aliasing is pretty noticeable in parts when viewed on my 4K TV.

Last edited:

WilltheFo

Nov 11, 2017
Can also confirm that the Monster Hunter World beta has HDR, as well as 3 graphical models available to PS4 Pro users.
Pro users may choose to prioritise frame rate, resolution, or graphics.
Can post comparison screenshots as soon as the beta is officially live.

Oct 27, 2017
Really debating upgrading to Pro from slim this week. Idk, I'm using a 1080p TV for the foreseeable future but my main platform is ps4. When I look into Pro enhancements for 1080p sets I just get confused lol.

I just really want to play MHW, SotC and RDR2 in the best way possible but paying for an upgrade? Idk.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Really debating upgrading to Pro from slim this week. Idk, I'm using a 1080p TV for the foreseeable future but my main platform is ps4. When I look into Pro enhancements for 1080p sets I just get confused lol.

I just really want to play MHW, SotC and RDR2 in the best way possible but paying for an upgrade? Idk.

MHW and SoTC will both have great benefits on the Pro.

Both offer 1080p/60 FPS modes or higher resolutions (Both would/should down sample too if that's your ideal solution).

RDR2 .. not sure because that's R*'s first game with these mid-gen consoles in market. But if you're getting a good deal with trade or something, no reason not to get a Pro. It's a better version of the OG/Slim PS4 in every way (technologically). The number of games that don't downsample are only in a handful and even in most cases there, you get other 1080p benefits (eg Outlast 2 doesn't downsample but for 1080p TV's it has better AA and draw distance as just 1 example)

Oct 27, 2017
MHW and SoTC will both have great benefits on the Pro.

Both offer 1080p/60 FPS modes or higher resolutions (Both would/should down sample too if that's your ideal solution).

RDR2 .. not sure because that's R*'s first game with these mid-gen consoles in market. But if you're getting a good deal with trade or something, no reason not to get a Pro. It's a better version of the OG/Slim PS4 in every way (technologically). The number of games that don't downsample are only in a handful and even in most cases there, you get other 1080p benefits (eg Outlast 2 doesn't downsample but for 1080p TV's it has better AA and draw distance as just 1 example)
Thanks! I have about a week from Sunday to decide lol

WilltheFo

Nov 11, 2017
Thanks! I have about a week from Sunday to decide lol
Where I live it is possible to get a Pro for roughly 15% more than a slim in terms of price. I think that amount of money is worth it (if you can afford it). I feel as though, if you are going to spend a few hundred dollars, you might as well get the option that will offer you the best experience. Good luck deciding!
But, it seems Monster Hunter is going to have some great customisation for Pro users!