• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

All things considered, do you think console-exclusivity in games is an overall good or bad thing?

• Overall Good - Less choice for consumers, more revenue for developers

Votes: 422 28.9%
  • Overall Bad - More choice for consumers, less distinctiveness per console

Votes: 733 50.1%
  • Mixed - Too conflicted on the issue to make a definitive judgment call

Votes: 307 21.0%

• Total voters

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest. I know that the topic of console exclusivity is something of a lightning rod these days as it can very easily bleed into console war-style rhetoric. I really hope that doesn't happen in this thread, but I've been thinking about the topic a lot lately and would like to discuss it reasonably if possible.

I feel like I've witnessed a shift in sentiment when it comes to console-exclusive game releases in the last generation or two. While first-party or exclusive second/third-party games have historically played a considerable role in establishing their respective platforms' foothold in the market compared to their peers, we've seen exclusivity give way to multi-platform releases more and more with each generation. Rising development costs have a lot to do with this shift, naturally, as many games are more likely to recoup their dev investments if they release on as many platforms (and to as many potential players) as possible. Even Sony has more recently begun to loosen its grip on its first-party releases, bringing them to PC as a second avenue without ceding them to competing console platforms. And we all know how much Microsoft has been pushing to extend its games to other platforms as it seemingly transitions into a third-party developer role within the industry, although they're the most inclined to do so since their Xbox install base is the smallest.

screenshot.returnal.2048x1152.2021-02-26.16.jpg

Sony has been able to expand its reach to more consumers with its PC releases of first/second-party games

So that's where we are now, and I tend to see a lot of anti-exclusivity commentary online these days on enthusiast forums like this one. It makes sense to me that people don't like being locked out of playing certain quality games on platforms they don't own, and I understand that not everyone can afford to buy multiple consoles to cover their bases.

Buuuuut... and please hear me out here. I kind of miss the old model for various reasons.

Modern market realities aside, I think I did actually prefer when all three console manufacturers had their own distinct stable of exclusive games on their respective platforms. It gave them all their own personality and flavor that I feel has eroded slowly over the years as more games have moved toward multi-platform releases as a standard practice. Also, games developed for one specific console have always tended to reflect a noticeable added level of polish and ambition since the developers are able to concentrate on just one version built for a very specific, controlled hardware spec.

hi-fi-rush-ps5-1.webp

Gems like Hi-Fi rush seeing releases on other platforms gives them a second lease on life after their initial release

These days, Nintendo is the only one of the big three that seems to be comfortably operating under the old paradigm, for better or worse. Since I'm fortunate enough to be able to own both a Nintendo console and others, I personally appreciate that Nintendo's approach is old-school in this way. The success of the Switch owes a lot to the dense catalog of exclusive games on the platform, and taken altogether they paint a clear picture of what Nintendo's platform stands for and specializes in compared to other options in the market. I like that, overall. Does that make me a scumbag by today's standards? I'd genuinely like to know. I hope not.

large.jpg

I can't imagine playing a mainline Mario game on non-Nintendo hardware, and I think that's not necessarily a bad thing

Long story short, I recognize the financial incentives for moving away from console exclusives as well as the benefits in terms of consumer choice, but I also miss the old paradigm because it justified the existence of different competing platforms in the first place and gave them all a more distinctive feel.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, jeez. I just realized I completely borked the poll options and essentially worded them the opposite of how I meant. Can I have a mod/admin help me fix that somehow?

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Third party: bad
First party: necessary

First party exclusives and unique services/OS features/hardware functionality should be what separates each platform.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not certain if it's good or bad, but I do know one thing, it certainly makes it more entertaining for me.
I like having exclusives for each platform. Gives me a reason to own each of them, and give each a distinct style.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Edit:

Not actually trolling, my bad haha

More revenue for developers is a really really tiny factor when that only affects first party games.

I don't think an ideal world would have multiple consoles for starters. You can argue that Nintendo consoles has value by presenting new ways of playing videogames but if that's so important, Nintendo would still sell as many Switches as it does with their games on PC, and that's clearly not what would happen lol

Not that Nintendo is wrong in doing that, mind you. It's all on gamers being weird fanboys and normalizing stuff that would be unthinkable in other medias.

Edit 2: Also, doesn't mean it's only about Nintendo, it's more of an example. Playstation consoles have like zero value outside of exclusives and the overall ecosystem, and Xbox is just opening the gates because they can't sell as much as the other 2. They all play the same game.

Last edited:

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I think "overall good" even though I don't necessarily agree with the specific language used in the poll.

First party exclusivity has the unique benefit of being designed for one SKU: that is a big reason why first-party exclusives are often the best looking and most stable games you can play, often well into the subsequent generation of games. There's also the factor that first-party exclusives have a different "goal" than your average multiplatform releases. Big multiplatform games exist to sell copies, but--generally speaking--first-party exlclusives exist to move hardware. The result is that they often have more latitude to do daring and creative things that wouldn't fly in contexts where selling the most copies matters.

Something like Death Stranding would've been a financial boondoggle on its own, but as a hardware pushing product, I expect it did the job quite well.

In case of third party stuff, my position is that when the exclusivity goes beyond money (i.e. "we bought an exclusivity period, see you when the game is done") and includes direct collaboration, it results in a much stronger product.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
I think any platform holder or service provider has a natural business interest in providing a unique differentiator to stand out in the competitive market. Hence the creation of original IP to help the brand shine.

As a consumer, I can recognize that it benefits me more if more games are playable on multiple platforms. But I can also see that Nintendo and Sony aren't investing in expensive R&D and pricey hardware gambles just to make their IP playable on other direct competitors' platforms.

It has been interesting to observe how market conditions have pushed Microsoft and Sony to break the traditional model and turn to PC as an 'agnostic' platform and additional source or income. With how expensive games development has become, it isn't surprising that the rules are changing. But I think expectations around exclusives still need to be kept in check. These brands need unique offerings at the end of the day to entice more customers, hence the hefty investment in first-party studios. I don't believe services or digital ownership alone are enough to keep a console enticing.

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
Console exclusives are terrible and bad for the environment while also fostering classism. Government should legally ban them

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Exclusives are only good for the people who can only afford one plastic box.

In general it's best for any consumer and the company behind the games if a game is available on as many devices as possible.

struggler

Mar 2, 2022
"Overall Good - Less choice for consumers, more revenue for developers"????

I thought that the good thing about exclusives is trying to make a good game so people go to buy your box but whatever lol

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm in the weird middle of this.

They obviously have value but at the end of the day, I care more about the most amount of people being able to play whatever.

If there's any real criticism to the practice, it's that by nature it'll never be "equal", especially when stuff like third party titles are bought that were originally going to be multi-platform (Such as FF16 as we saw from the ActiBlizz Xbox leak)

While not quite the same thing, people aren't exactly happy they have to bounce between all of these streaming services (especially when most don't offer a physical alternative)

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. The poll makes no sense.

This poll is 100% trolling with Era lol

Some kind admin has mostly corrected my originally inverted poll options, so thank you to whomever did that. They're still not worded ideally, but at least now they reflect what they're supposed to. That was my bad.

I think "overall good" even though I don't necessarily agree with the specific language used in the poll.

First party exclusivity has the unique benefit of being designed for one SKU: that is a big reason why first-party exclusives are often the best looking and most stable games you can play, often well into the subsequent generation of games. There's also the factor that first-party exclusives have a different "goal" than your average multiplatform releases. Big multiplatform games exist to sell copies, but--generally speaking--first-party exlclusives exist to move hardware. The result is that they often have more latitude to do daring and creative things that wouldn't fly in contexts where selling the most copies matters.

Something like Death Stranding would've been a financial boondoggle on its own, but as a hardware pushing product, I expect it did the job quite well.

In case of third party stuff, my position is that when the exclusivity goes beyond money (i.e. "we bought an exclusivity period, see you when the game is done") and includes direct collaboration, it results in a much stronger product.

I agree on all points. Well said.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
"Overall Good - Less choice for consumers, more revenue for developers"????

I thought that the good thing about exclusives is trying to make a good game so people go to buy your box but whatever lol

It's still "Less Choice" for the consumer as they are playing the title on the only platform available.
It being an incentive to buy something is just a benefit to the Console Maker.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
They are terrible and I hate them. Sony and MS adding PC to their mix has been a godsend. It's been nice only having to own a Switch this gen.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Some kind admin has mostly corrected my originally inverted poll options, so thank you to whomever did that. They're still not worded ideally, but at least now they reflect what they're supposed to. That was my bad.

I agree on all points. Well said.

In all fairness you just said "Please help me fix this" with no insight into what you meant so I did my best going off your OP lol

oty

Feb 28, 2023
i think some games just...wouldnt be made if they weren't exclusives. that doesnt mean its good or bad, its a matter of simply being real or not

but in an ideal world, everything that could be multiplatform...should be multiplatform.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Another day, another poll with options that make no sense. Never change Era.

On topic: Exclusives are ridiculous.

Imagine Sony Pictures Entertainment made TV shows that could only be watched on Bravias, or movies that could only be projected in Sony owned cinemas, or music that could only be played on Walkmans. Madness.

Like, imagine if The Last of Us tv show could only be streamed via the PS5 and only if that PS5 was hooked up to a Bravia. It's unthinkable, yet in videogames people just accept it.

I guess Netflix shows are only available via Netflix... but Netflix is available on everything.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they're good. A lot of games wouldn't be made if they weren't backed by major first party publishers.

The problem is that they're not that sustainable anymore, because the industry is in a nuclear state and every sold copy they can squeeze helps.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I always err on the side of developers. Whatever makes them the most money and makes it an easier job for them. If that means being exclusive, so be it. If that means being everywhere, then awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a third party game developer's world and we're just living in it.

I think it (it being the main issue(s) people have here) has only been replaced by the handful of mega IP's that are controlled by the most powerful software houses and that's apparently " a win for the little guy".

That poll is the Dark Souls of polls.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It's overall bad. You shouldn't need to buy specific hardware to play specific games especially when all the hardware these days for the most part is so similar.

It's why I'm so happy most Sony exclusives are finally coming to PC as well. I can't afford a PS5 but it still means if I wanted to I could still experience the games.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If there's any aspect of exclusivity that's probably the worst part of it all, it would be preservation.

There are plenty of exclusives that never see a re-release again and that just means you have less options in playing something as time goes on (Especially at certain settings).

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
If there's any aspect of exclusivity that's probably the worst part of it all, it would be preservation.

There are plenty of exclusives that never see a re-release again and that just means you have less options in playing something as time goes on (Especially at certain settings).

Good point. I guess then in this case a PC release (which is kind of platform agnostic, really) is the best for preservation as long as its an actually good port.

RubberStamp

Oct 27, 2017
They're terrible and I hope one day we don't get console exclusives anymore. I'd rather the platforms compete based on hardware based features and unique software ecosystems rather than software content e.g if someone prefers Sonys trophies, controller, etc. they go with a PlayStation rather than just for exclusives.

I understand people have a tribalistic view of exclusives and how they must exist for a platforms survival but it doesn't need to be that way. It's very clear that the market for console hardware has been stagnant for a while. If game development budgets continue to increase then multiplatform games are an easy solution to expand a games revenue stream.

So yeah, to me, multi platform games should be the future where everything goes everywhere.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
"More revenue for developers" is that even true? Being exclusive by itself means less revenue, it all depends on how much the platform holder paid for that exclusivity. And even then, the damage long term to the brand also means less revenue for the developer.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
They're terrible and I hope one day we don't get console exclusives anymore. I'd rather the platforms compete based on hardware based features and unique software ecosystems rather than software content e.g if someone prefers Sonys trophies, controller, etc. they go with a PlayStation rather than just for exclusives.

I understand people have a tribalistic view of exclusives and how they must exist for a platforms survival but it doesn't need to be that way. It's very clear that the market for console hardware has been stagnant for a while. If game development budgets continue to increase then multiplatform games are an easy solution to expand a games revenue stream.

So yeah, to me, multi platform games should be the future where everything goes everywhere.

For sure from a consumer perspective that would be great. But the real world isn't like that. those big budget single player games form Sony would not exist if it weren't for some form of console exclusivity. Nintendo would not be doing what they are doing without some form of console exclusivity. When a company has to push hardware by using software, they out a lot of money and budget and marketing and whatnot behind it.

"More revenue for developers" is that even true? Being exclusive by itself means less revenue, it all depends on how much the platform holder paid for that exclusivity. And even then, the damage long term to the brand also means less revenue for the developer.

There has to be a reason why third party sign up to be exclusive to begin with. If it wasn't a good deal, they wouldn't take it.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's good but not for the reason you listed. in the pool

It allows for more diversity while also pushing the boundaries of the medium when it comes to gameplay, story or presentation.

Apr 20, 2022
Good mostly. If a specific studio makes a game then the have every right to make it exclusive. Nintendo and it's partners games on Nintendo systems, Sony and it's partners on PS, MS and partners on Xbox. Exclusives are the main reason you buy consoles.

The only time exclusives are bad is when normally 3rd party games are locked into a system permanently or though timed deals.

I don't agree with poll options though, I don't really care for dev POV, it's their choice and it's not I like cash change their mind. I'm speaking from a customer POV that sees 3 consoles and has to decide which to buy

Last edited:

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Impossible to say because we've never seen a world without it. There are so many layers of human behavior and reactions involved that it's silly to even try to speculate

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why first-party exclusives are a thing business wise, but the only game in recent memory that I've played where I thought this would only work on this hardware is Ring Fit Adventure.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It is neutral. It allows there to be more games than there would be without it but it's annoying when a third party is exclusive.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Consoles aren't "distinct" anymore really and that is kind of a silly angle to argue for exclusivity considering all the other downsides.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Exclusivity is bad? But people troll PS5/XSX have no games. And when they have exclusivity, people get mad.

So "Console have no games / I'm not picking it just for 1 game" or "Exclusivity is bad" ? you can't pick both

Exclusvity is good. And PS4 / Switch shine for this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles aren't "distinct" anymore really and that is kind of a silly angle to argue for exclusivity considering all the other downsides.

I can understand why it would seem like a weak argument to some, but to me it does matter. Otherwise why even have three competing console platforms in the first place?

Apr 9, 2018
They're just PC boxes at the end of the day, there's no sensible reason (other than capitalism) that the software shouldn't be available on both.

The one big argument against this from my POV, is that console exclusivity allows the platform holders to take big swings on weird expensive games that otherwise may not have been made like:
  • Death Stranding
  • The Last Guardian
  • Shadow of the Colossus
Admittedly, examples like this are fewer and fewer these days, but the tools have gotten better than games with the spirit of these can be made for a smaller budget so it may not be any different nowadays without console exclusives