• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Having grown up in the 90's, I witnessed game publishers falling all over themselves throughout the decade trying to mimic the success of Sonic and Mario with their very own mascot-style main characters. More often than not these characters would be the stars of highly derivative and unpolished 2D platformers, and they tended to be anthropomorphic animals with some degree of 90's 'tude running through their veins.

Even as a kid I always found these misguided attempts at character design to be pretty funny, and all these later I think I find them even funnier now. There are so many obscure or otherwise failed 90's game mascot characters, and I think it's high time we determine who the overall worst one was. You can come at this one of two ways: either you pick the actual worst character from creativity and appeal standpoints, or you go with a character that is so bad that it loops around to being unintentionally awesome.

I looked over a bunch of them via Google Search before making this thread, and my nomination is going to this soulless creation right here:

Awesome Possum

121696-awesome-possum-kicks-dr-machino-s-butt-genesis-front-cover.png

He's awesome! Right, guys?

Sheezus Christ, can a 90's mascot platformer character get any more generic than this piece of work? The way he says, "I'm awesome!" in that title screen slays me every time I watch it. He's... what? Just a possum in a spacesuit or something? And look at everything else. Fuckin' Dr. Machino is his nemesis? Dr. Machino?

Every single aspect of this character and the game he stars in comes across as if someone took a bunch of cringe-inducing 90's television advertising and threw it all into a blender. It's so awful that I kinda love it, frankly.

Let's see if you hot shots have what it takes to knock this super awesome mascot off of the pedestal as the all-time worst of the 90's gaming mascot craze.

Last edited:

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
There is something to be said about most of these being pretty much unknown today, even among those of us who grew up during the time.

There is something else entirely to still be remembered to this day for just how terrible your games were.

The winner is Bubsy.

Oct 27, 2017
Gex was hardly a failure.

it was the Duke Nukem of platformers in that it's main character was famous largely for just spouting movie quotes but the games were known and sold a lot of copies.

Jersey Devil always struck me as a marketing department project more than anything.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
These are great. Wild Woody looks like something that was killed in an episode of Rick and Morty. Jersey Devil is like Sonic on coke. Cool spot is someone made a popsicle out of the Kool Aid guy.

But Croc and Gex have no business being in this thread!!

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Gex was hardly a failure.

it was the Duke Nukem of platformers in that it's main character was famous largely for just spouting movie quotes but the games were known.

Jersey Devil always struck me as a marketing department project more than anything.

Ristar doesn't deserve this.

Oh, sorry. That image in the OP was just supposed to help remind people of 90's mascot platformers, both good and bad. Since I don't want people using the characters in that image as the pool of shitty mascots to pull from for this thread, I've removed it from my post.

I actually just cribbed it from an older thread of mine about mascot characters that people wanted to make a comeback. In case anyone's curious, this is the picture that was originally in the OP.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, sorry. That image in the OP was just supposed to help remind people of 90's mascot platformers, both good and bad. Since I don't want people using the characters in that image as the pool of shitty mascots to pull from for this thread, I've removed it from my post.
Oh gosh, you didn't have to do that. I was actually looking back at it for reference only to find it was gone. XD

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Bubsy is an irreversible stain on human achievement.

Pull up a Bubsy 3D playthrough on YouTube and see how long you can last before you lose the will to live.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I could pick just one but this came to mind:

www.lemonamiga.com

Kang Fu

Kang Fu is an Amiga scrolling screen platformer game released in 1996 by Alter Interservice.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
On the metric of what they were supposed to accomplish and what they actually accomplished the answer has to be Bonk. Bonk was supposed to be THE mascot platformer for the PCE/TG16 to be that character to rival Mario and Alex Kidd (and later Sonic) as the reason you'd buy the system. Yet the PCE/TG16 did so poorly that Bonk was already appearing on his riva'ls platform the same year the system he was supposed to be the mascot of was discontinued in most of the world.

Sure the Bonk series would continue to get games and generally did well review and sales wise, but I can't think of any other mascot platformer who failed harder in their task of helping to launch a worldwide gaming device.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
On the metric of what they were supposed to accomplish and what they actually accomplished the answer has to be Bonk. Bonk was supposed to be THE mascot platformer for the PCE/TG16 to be that character to rival Mario and Alex Kidd (and later Sonic) as the reason you'd buy the system. Yet the PCE/TG16 did so poorly that Bonk was already appearing on his riva'ls platform the same year the system he was supposed to be the mascot of was discontinued in most of the world.

Sure the Bonk series would continue to get games and generally did well review and sales wise, but I can't think of any other mascot platformer who failed harder in their task of helping to launch a worldwide gaming device.
Hey, the TG16 did good in Japan!

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Many of the examples people posted I can actually remember the names of, mainly because they keep being brought up in bad mascot threads everywhere. I then had to think very fucking hard at remembering a really bad mascot that is so bad I don't ever recall it being brought up anywhere else. I actually had to type the description of the character to find traces of it. Then I finally did and I was like "Oh GOD IT'S LIKE OPENING A COFFIN"

Behold:

RockyRodentJPBoxArtSNES.jpg

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
There is something to be said about most of these being pretty much unknown today, even among those of us who grew up during the time.

There is something else entirely to still be remembered to this day for just how terrible your games were.

The winner is Bubsy.
I can't help but feel the opposite. That fact that people know Bubsy means he can't truly be the biggest failure in my mind.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I can't help but feel the opposite. That fact that people know Bubsy means he can't truly be the biggest failure in my mind.

I think it's worse because people remember Bubsy, yet if a new one was announced tomorrow no one would care. They achieved some level of recognition, but it was like... negative recognition.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Boogeyman is memorable. Gotta give him that.

I know the 90's was all about grossness and extremism but Boogerman was truly an all-in play. I respect Interplay for going there.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Every once in a while, someone tries to pull off the "sentient egg" act. Even ATLUS isn't above it.

146515-eggs-of-steel-playstation-front-cover.jpg

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
even though it may be bad, I can't vote Busby because he was created by Mike Berlyn. He wrote 3 text adventures for Infocom back in the 80s

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose by logical standards, the worst one is one you've never heard of. But that's no fun.

I'm going to jump in with the Bubsy crowd. Bubsy sold better than most Mario or Sonic wanna-bes. But the games are so utterly bland that he gained no traction, not through positive reception, nor even a "so bad it's good" reputation (until Bubsy 3D...sort of).

I think it's worse because people remember Bubsy, yet if a new one was announced tomorrow no one would care. They achieved some level of recognition, but it was like... negative recognition.

Yeah. That's not a bad way to put it. LOL

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
In Europe, both Zool and James Pond were well regarded at the time, Croc/Gex/Ristar are great, my vote would be for Possum as well. Bubsy was lousy, but had a franchise and 2 decent-ish games.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
bug, from bug:

Bug-cover.jpg

i'm not even sure where to start with this.

he was the stand-in sega mascot to placate sega saturn fans until sonic games finally started coming out on that system.

i'd also nominate his fellow sega saturn mascot brethren that released around the same time for the same purpose. they helped sega survive until it threw em in the bin to be forgotten forever.

sega literally set them all up to fail no matter what

rest in pizza

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I love Mario games but if you went to an alternate Mario-less dimension and tried to pitch them a Mario game you'd sound like a madman.

skobuffs

Mar 21, 2021
idk, probably Glover.

I was just about to nominate Glover myself. The character itself is just ridiculous. It's like the Wish version of Master Hand starring in an entire game. He looks like he's about to go cook some Hamburger Helper.

The game itself was actually decent on N64, but absolute trash on PSX. There was also an almost completed sequel, but it got cancelled when there was a cartridge ordering snafu. They were going to order 150,000 cartridges for Glover 2, but the Hasbro employee in charge of ordering decided to get 300,000 instead because Nintendo had a deal going. But retailers didn't want their orders to be effectively doubled and Hasbro didn't want to sit on 150,000 cartridges. A prototype cartridge leaked so the ROM is floating around. Side note: I'm so glad we don't have to deal with cartridge manufacturing BS anymore.

Another funny Glover story is from 2018, when an indie developer applied for the trademark and said they would be making a sequel for Switch. They thought they had the rights to the IP including the character and OG game content. But another company actually bought the copyright.

They just released a PC port based on the source code with some improvements on Steam, and are planning on releasing the sequel later.