• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyingorion

Dec 4, 2017
Here's the thing: It its original context, it was alternative rock. That was when shitty hair metal bands dominated the charts. REM and The Pixies were an alternative to Def Leppard or Bon Jovi. The name just stuck.

Ten years later, smaller rock bands signed to independent labels were termed "indie" bands. Then in the '00s, as bands like The White Stripes and The Strokes blew up as an alternative to shitty nu metal and butt rock bands, the indie name stuck even as some became global superstars.

Yeah this pretty much. It's kind of happening right now with hyperpop genre with 100 Gecs, Dorian Electra, Sophie, Charli XCX, etc... It's an alternative to the mainstream of the last 10 years. Watch it be the equivalent for the 2020s decade

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have to thank my sister for this. I was born in 89 but was exposed to tons of 90s alt rock and it is my favorite genre.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those things to look back on now and wonder how there managed to be so many great bands in such a brief number of years. After the '90's nothing really captured that spirit except for Coheed and Cambria in the mid 2000's and At The Drive In/The Mars Volta in the late '00's early '10's.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Incredible decade for alt music

That applies to every single decade starting with the 60s, though. But yeah, the 90s were pretty great, I had a blast with music back in those days but surprisingly I find that the stuff I really, REALLY loved back then wasn't really anywhere near the best of what was being done at the time (I too was a massive Bush fan but they're something I mostly roll my eyes at these days, Razorblade Suitcase especially...) but for some reason as a teen I was completely unaware of stuff like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Pavement, Stone Roses Modest Mouse so I suppose "You could hear these song by just waking on the streets, going to the mall. These songs were all over MTV and the radios. It was glorious." isn't really surprising when one considers the stuff getting heavy airplay was mostly B tier single oriented stuff and as such not much has changed since then.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
This was great alt rock in New Zealand in the 90s.
Then he hung himself a month before he was supposed to play at a suicide prevention music festival :(

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That applies to every single decade starting with the 60s, though. But yeah, the 90s were pretty great, I had a blast with music back in those days but surprisingly I find that the stuff I really, REALLY loved back then wasn't really anywhere near the best of what was being done at the time (I too was a massive Bush fan but they're something I mostly roll my eyes at these days, Razorblade Suitcase especially...) but for some reason as a teen I was completely unaware of stuff like My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Pavement, Stone Roses Modest Mouse so I suppose "You could hear these song by just waking on the streets, going to the mall. These songs were all over MTV and the radios. It was glorious." isn't really surprising when one considers the stuff getting heavy airplay was mostly B tier single oriented stuff and as such not much has changed since then.
I'm in a similar boat. Bands like Massive Attack and Belle and Sebastian were completely off my radar until the mid-'00s, when I caught them on internet radio. Unfinished Sympathy blew my mind the first time I heard it.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The 90's were amazing for rock in general. Actually they were just amazing for music full stop.

I'm very greatful that here in Australia the spirit of the 90s is alive and well with many great local rock bands like King Gizzard, The Chats, Courtney Barnett etc. Rock is still popular here.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
It may not be true, but my favorite story I heard from back then is how some guy from a famous hair metal band saw the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit and basically said "Whelp, that's the end of us."

Anyone hear this story/know if it is actually true?

That's basically what happened to Warrant.

College rock was arguably better in the 80s, but there was so much musical diversity in the 90s. I have a soft spot for the pre-grunge jangle of the very early 90s.

JFunky

Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm definitely biased as I was a teenager in the 90's , but yeah that was a great decade of music. It's mostly what I still listen to today. Not just the alt rock stuff but the hip hop and rap genres really hit a nice stride that decade.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I can basically live off Spotify 90s rock and 80s pop playlists. It's not even funny.

As far as revival bands go, there's a bunch of great ones mentioned in this thread already. I'm always partial to Skating Polly, they have a very cool vibe that feels at the same time retro and fresh to me. Don't sleep on it.

Jan 11, 2018
90's was possibly the greatest decade for music ever... NIN, TOOL, Alice, The Offspring, Chilli Pepps, and hundreds of others.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
We are actually seeing in real time people reach the age and becoming nostalgic for content that was just OK. I really hope Era is around in the 2040s so I can see the threads about classic 2010's music.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Op, of all the alternativr choices, you post...Bush? I prefer early nineties alternative, Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I love an era where a song like Closer could be a huge radio hit. I mean, that was a real piece of art. I couldn't see it being a big hit these days, but then again we're so fragmented that only the huge stuff can be "hits" now.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
A couple songs I'd like to highlight:

Technically this is from 1989 but close enough and Nirvana is basically the band of the 90s so it fits.

Then there's Mayonaise which is probably my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song.

flyingorion

Dec 4, 2017
We are actually seeing in real time people reach the age and becoming nostalgic for content that was just OK. I really hope Era is around in the 2040s so I can see the threads about classic 2010's music.

Lets see. Vaporwave, future bass, brostep, bass house, deconstructed club, hyperpop, kawaii bass, mallsoft, synthwave, epic/trailer music, edm trap, space bass, halftime, midtempo, future house, future funk, riddim, tropical house, complextro, kawaii metal, chillstep, tearout, minatory, uk drill, neoperreo, berite club, hard drum, and I could name more. All of these emerged in the 2010s. Some of them did in the 00s, but didn't have a creative peak till 2010s. For a whole lot of people it was a decade of amazing new and unique music that will become classics.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
way too much stuff to list. glad i was there to experience it but I've always wondered if it had a hand in shaping my overall melancholic disposition but whatever here you go

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some revival stuff (90s sounding music not made in the 90s):

www.youtube.com

Broken Social Scene - Ibi Dreams of Pavement (A Better Day) (HQ)

High Quality version of the video for the single taken from 2005's "Broken Social Scene" Produced by David Newfeld, Directed by George Vale.

www.youtube.com

Courtney Barnett - Charity

'Charity' is taken from Courtney Barnett's album 'Tell Me How You Really Feel' out now! https://courtney-barnett.lnk.to/tmhyrfOut on Milk! Records, Marathon ...

www.youtube.com

Meg Myers - Numb [Official Video]

‘Numb’ available now. New album ‘Take Me To The Disco’ Out Now: https://ffm.to/tmttd.OYDhttp://www.megmyers.com/►Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/megmyer...

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I still go to Pearl Jam concerts whenever they visit the tristate area. I was really into early/mid 90s music, especially Grunge. The late 90s was a mixed bag.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The 90's were amazing for rock in general. Actually they were just amazing for music full stop.

I'm very greatful that here in Australia the spirit of the 90s is alive and well with many great local rock bands like King Gizzard, The Chats, Courtney Barnett etc. Rock is still popular here.
I listen to Triple J sometimes, and yes, there are good Aussie bands that pickup on that alternative vibe. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever kinda fits with that too.

There's a bit of a revival here in Canada, too. A couple of local bands come to mind.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I listen to Triple J sometimes, and yes, there are good Aussie bands that pickup on that alternative vibe. Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever kinda fits with that too.

There's a bit of a revival here in Canada, too. A couple of local bands come to mind.

If you are listening to digital radio you should actually hit up Double J. They play a lot more rock than JJJ and less... Autotuned indie dream pop? Fucks me what the genre is but it's not inspiring.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
The 90's was a great period for music. Period. No matter what genre you enjoyed, the quality was off the charts. To me, the 70's and the 90's will always be the best periods for music.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok this actually came out in 2000 but whatever, there was no year 0

Lead singer has a PHD, kinda cool

And this came out in 1990....anyway

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If you are listening to digital radio you should actually hit up Double J. They play a lot more rock than JJJ and less... Autotuned indie dream pop? Fucks me what the genre is but it's not inspiring.
I'm in Canada listening over the net. It's all digital. ;)

I know about Double J. I tune into Triple J sometimes for what's new, because even at age 41, I'm always on the search for new sounds. (Even if most doesn't appeal to me.)

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I grew up with it, it was a great time for music, no doubt. Though I can't really take some of those bands like Collective Soul. I don't really know where Tool fits in genres, I'm not sure anyone does but they were my favorite band from that era. They were almost a heavier grunge sound with the Opiate and Undertow but became more of a progressive rock outfit later. I like what Rick Beato has to say about the era, it was a return of rock music to its blues roots and that's generally when rock music has been at its best and he thinks part of the reason rock music lost its popularity was because again in the 2000s there were a lot of generic bands, emo was on the rise it had lost its origin so to speak.
Tool is progressive metal. I loved Tool as well.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
I still listen to a lot of 90s rock and alternative. Here is one that was pretty popular when it came out. I remember watching the video all the time on MTV.

edit: I just realized flyingorion already posted this one. Here is a more poppy hit but I would still call it alternative:

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I saw Ween mentioned at some point but y'all need to listen!

Talent, variety, humor. Can't be beat.

born in 83 really "discovered" music in the early 90's. I still listen to more 90's stuff than anything else. I remember in MS we would make mixtapes (cassette tapes kids not CD's) by listening to the radio and hitting record before songs came on. We would do this for hours at a time to get a great tape.

I too was born in the great year of 1983. My car, an '01 Crown Vic, still has a tape deck so I'm always on the look-out for sweet cassettes.

Last edited: