Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a breadcrumb hinting at the secret upside down castle. There's a major theme of reverse direction throughout SOTN.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie

The bear plays a banjo and the bird plays a kazoo. GO FIGURE.
exjz7.jpg

I'm not so sure

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix DOWN, like down feathers.
Phoenix down. As in the feathers of a phoenix.
A lot of items in FF were probably confusing to a lot of kids (Gold Needle, Echo Grass etc.) so they just rolled with whatever explanation their brain came up with

I think the common interpretation was that people read "Phoenix" as a verb. So they'd "Phoenix" a "downed" party member. A lot of people don't really know what down feathers are, and that they can simply be called "down".
I guess that's a reasonable explanation. I did not know what to expect. I don't recall not knowing what it meant though.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
NASCAR is RACECAR spelled backwards and if you drive a lap in reverse in a nascar race without wrecking and without going outside the lines you automatically win the race.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I get it because Pokemon games can be pretty goofy but it's super surprising to me than so many people didn't figure out Ekans

it's just such a weird name

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
For the movies in non-English speaking countries, the name had to be different to accomodate this language change.

In French, it's "Je suis Voldemort" so the name is Tom Elvis Jedusor
I like how idiotic is to pick a new name, but choosing one that it's almost an anagram, adding the first person present of the verb "to be".

You pick a new name or you don't. You don't pick something related.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Friday The 13th Part 2 takes place on friday the 13th. Part 3 takes place on saturday the 14th. Part 4 takes place on sunday the 15th.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
The Bravely Default Japanese boxart contains a pretty sneaky hidden spoiler.
(that I'm going to hide because I was spoiled myself by visiting online boards)
large.jpg

Remove the 2 Fs from the subtitle
Pretty cool honestly.