Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why y'all keep hyping the January 2013 Direct. It wasn't that exciting.

No Smash, No 3D Mario, No 3D Zelda, No Metroid, No Mario Kart, No Animal Crossing, No Retro Studios. Like, where were the big Nintendo games? Was SMTxFE that huge?
Smash, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart were mentioned (and yes, it was acknowledged that they were expected)
Wind Waker HD was announced
The first idea that BotW would be an open world game
We got updates on games like Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2
SMTxFE wasn't "huge" but it was a huge surprise for the two franchises to be crossing over
Yoshi's Wooly World being the first console Yoshi in over 15 years and a surprising spiritual followup to Kirby's Epic Yarn
The first trailer for Xenoblade X was a big surprise, and the sight of a hardcore open world JRPG with beautiful vistas was a sight for sore eyes for people and a shot in the arm for system wars regarding the Wii U's power (it's impossible to overstate how many times the Skell taking off and Skell transforming gifs were posted)
Wii U Virtual Console info

It's not that much looking back, but at the time it was a series of 4 major first party(ish) retail games in a single presentation, right after the system had come out, with multiple promises and updates about a half dozen major upcoming titles.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean by Japanese companies being in a bind?

the handheld market is going to condense into the switch from the vita and 3ds. and then if you were one of the ones who did psv/ps4, your ecosystem is about to get a lot smaller. so switch support kinda has to happen. the switch being successful worldwide makes the decision a lot easier.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Red Dead has never even released for anything other the PS3 and 360 so that's how I know you're just winding people up for no reason here
Excuse me?

51J2CCX1TTL._AC_SX215_.jpg

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a Switch Animal Crossing might distract people away from the mobile game. I suspect they are saving AC for next year.
That is the opposite of their mobile strategy, they use their phone games to get people interested in their console offerings. Also, console versions of their apps have all appeared within 12 months of the app's release so I'd be very surprised if 2018 ends without an Animal Crossing game of some kind on Switch (though it better be a god damned mainline title!!!)

It does seem like it's time for a new Animal Crossing.
If it is at this direct I could see it just being a little thing showing it exists and getting more info later in the year.
That's totally true, Animal Crossing has gotten a couple of its own mini directs before so I could totally imagine them announcing it with a trailer and saying "Stay tuned for more information later this year".

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
among the niche:

5: disgaea tier
4: nonary games tier
3: hyperdimension neptunia tier
2: hakuoki tier
1: langrisser 3ds tier

between now and february, I know of one title that would fit each 2-5. no exclusives. one is a late port and one has already been announced for other platforms. later in the year, you can expect a few more in the 3-5 tier range.

Wow doesn't seem bad, like at all

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Everyone is going crazy with predictions, it's not like they are going to show off or mention everything in a January direct.

They for sure will mention:
-Bayonneta 1+2 Wet climax Ultra
-Release date for Kirby on Q1
-Release date for Yoshi on Q2
-Release date for Wolfenstein 2 on Q1
-Teaser for FE and launch window
-Teaser of M&R DLC
-Smaller Teaser about MP4
-Maybe 2-3 3rd parties (Injustice 2 Maybe)

And that's it, the Pokémon, MP4 Teaser are being held for E3 or the August/September Direct, they need to make hype for holidays 2018.

Pokémon is no way launching this year, that's a 2019 game, and MP4 could be the holiday 2018 game or maybe bumped for Q1/19.

MK9 (or Nintendo Kart) will be released along the Switch XL around 2020, and Smash will be a new entry for 2019 too.

2018 is already stacked and we should be grateful that they are supporting the console with big games.

So you think we will not have single one new 1st or 2nd party announcement in next Direct!?
I mean, I agree that people dont need to have crazy expectations from this Direct, but you doing opposite thing, it's realistic that we can expect few new 1st/2nd party announcements, especially because Nintendo yet need to start showing of majority of their 2018. lineup.

What kind of diversity? Do you guys really believe that games like GTAV, Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty, Destiny has a chance to appear on Switch? Well, I don't think so.

Remember 3DS? It got pretty amazing 3rd party in its first year, from Resident Evil to Kingdom Hearts. But its subsequent years were nothing like its first, 3DS never got stuff like in its first year. First years always are the best years on Nintendo consoles in terms of third party support. The same thing will happen to switch too. Call me a pessimist, but I really don't think we'll get anything as big as Skyrim or Doom.

GTAV was on PS3/360 also, its one of best selling games ever, and could sell great on Switch also because full portable GTAV, also we alredy had few hints from Vern that GTAV is probably coming to Switch.
We had couple of CoD games on Wii and on Wii U, so high chances are that Switch will also have some CoD games.
Chanches for RDR or Destiny on Switch are minimal, but never say never.

Switch is quite opposite to 3DS:
-first Switch has very modern tech/architecture, engine/tool suport, APIs...and power gap is much closer to current consoles not compared just to 3DS but to Wii also
-second after Wii U fail, plenty of 3rd party takes wait and see approach with Switch, that's why some of them released only maybe one smaller of game, other did not release not single one, and with point that Switch have phenomenal sales and popularity, already respectable instal base (more than 10m in less than a year), and point that Switch install base will keep growing, we will have much more 3rd party announcements in 2018. than we had in 2017. I mean we already had plenty of 3rd parties said they will support Switch stronger.

Yes you are very pessimistic if you think that Switch will not receive anymore anything big like Skyrim or Doom, hopefully already next week you will be proven wrong.

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
The question now is: Are we expecting the announcement on Monday or Tuesday? I know for a fact if it isn't announced on Monday some people will start calling fake on everything, even our own trustworthy folks.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
among the niche:

5: disgaea tier
4: nonary games tier
3: hyperdimension neptunia tier
2: hakuoki tier
1: langrisser 3ds tier

between now and february, I know of one title that would fit each 2-5. no exclusives. one is a late port and one has already been announced for other platforms. later in the year, you can expect a few more in the 3-5 tier range.

I do hope that the tier 3 game is just something on the scale of Neptunia and not Neptunia itself.

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have a list of all the Nintendo Devs and partners and how long it has been since they released a game

Form example
Retro - Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, co developed with Monster Games - February 2014
4 years since last game released

Next Level Games
Metroid Federation Force - August 2016
1 and a half years since last game released

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Next Level Games has an exclusive contract with Nintendo since 2014 and they have only done Federation Force since then.

I think they can have a game ready by the end of 2018

Oct 30, 2017
Next Level Games has an exclusive contract with Nintendo since 2014 and they have only done Federation Force since then.

I think they can have a game ready by the end of 2018

I was hoping for Mario Strikers in June, in time.for the World Cup, but that would only give them just less than 2 years of Dev time

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't checked this thread in about forty pages, so if someone could just round up all the rock-solid Wonderful 102 leaks that I'm sure have been posted in my absence I'd really appreciate it.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'll be disappointed if Pikmin 4:
- isn't one seamless open-world with multiple fast travel points to drop down at the start of each day, as I theorised before
- doesn't feature prominent online co-op exploration, positioning Pikmin as a surprise Monster Hunter competitor and creating greater mass appeal
- doesn't feature the return of caves
- doesn't feature purple Pikmin
- isn't out in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.