• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Arlo writes for NF, he usually makes an article for NF and then a video on it.
He said he wanted to make a video on Pikmin 4 so I'm guessing it's that

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
I think preview scans from magazines are allowed (if not, I will remove):
8NmAatDg_o.jpg
yes!
tumblr_o6pp567ElE1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Is it bad that I want Nintendo to announce the revival of a dead third party franchise that never previously appeared on their systems just to see the meltdowns. I'm talking about a Bayonetta 2 level announcement. Now that would be an entertaining direct. But I wonder what franchise they could possibly do. Devil May Cry? Too similar to Bayonetta. I know. Vaniquished 2.
Never on their consoles? Hmmm, that's a hard one considering most multiplats either debuted or had spin offs later on. I mean, if we're talking strictly never ever, Valkyrie Profile or Star Ocean would do the trick for mass fuckery in the JRPG category for sure, but if we're talking about wider appeal, I guess an exclusive proper Prince of Persia would get the blood boiling.
If we're talking in general? I think Klonoa or Castlevania are gonna be revived on Switch, maybe both, with exclusivity.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Actually Monolith's got a LOT to their name in those 4 years:

Own:

Xenoblade Chronicles X
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Project X Zone 2

Assisted:

Splatoon
Splatoon 2
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
7th Dragon III (Interface work only)
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (was mainly by Monster Games)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

And that's no earlier than Dec 2013!

Yea totally forgot about some of these games. Like I get it, monolith is bigger than Retro but the difference in output is still crazy.

Especially since most interviews Nintendo talks about how important Retro is, or how they actively work with the parent branches.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Pikmin is a weird series to get 4 games. I mean it's good, but I've never gotten the feeling that it's that popular or successful.

We're getting Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4.

It's clear at this point that Nintendo gives no fucks about what is "popular or successful" when green-lighting games.

Now give us a new F-Zero you fuckers.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
Retro continue to be an extremely talented studio but I'm convinced one of the reasons they dominate discussions as much as they do is because they're one of the few internal Nintendo teams that actually has a proper name.
More like people have this weird conception of them as this first party Nintendo studio that one day will come up with this super amazing adventure game tailored to the western audience instead of these "kid" games Nintendo is known for.

Just to put things into perspective.. a lot of people want a new IP from them, right? Even if it was a meaty one, tell me what kind of reaction said IP would get if the game that took 5 years to make had the art style and characters from that artist who posted some freelance work on his Instagram account a few weeks (months?) ago?
I can tell you right now, it'd face a similar fate as Tropical Freeze.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More like people have this weird conception of them as this first party Nintendo studio that one day will come up with this super amazing adventure game tailored to the western audience instead of these "kid" games Nintendo is known for.

It's about time someone said this.

I've thought people have had unrealistic expectations of Retro since after Returns launched.

Old forum had people convinced Retro's next title was a Sheik game and low and behold it was DK.

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
Never on their consoles? Hmmm, that's a hard one considering most multiplats either debuted or had spin offs later on. I mean, if we're talking strictly never ever, Valkyrie Profile or Star Ocean would do the trick for mass fuckery in the JRPG category for sure, but if we're talking about wider appeal, I guess an exclusive proper Prince of Persia would get the blood boiling.
If we're talking in general? I think Klonoa or Castlevania are gonna be revived on Switch, maybe both, with exclusivity.
I've been thinking about a Klonoa revival recently, mainly to coincide with the movie that's supposed to be happening.

Oct 26, 2017

Just to put things into perspective.. a lot of people want a new IP from them, right? Even if it was a meaty one, tell me what kind of reaction said IP would get if the game that took 5 years to make had the art style and characters from that artist who posted some freelance work on his Instagram account a few weeks (months?) ago?

I mean... Many people want more games from Nintendo with the production values and tone of BotW or SMO/SMG.

That's pretty normal.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's about time someone said this.

I've thought people have had unrealistic expectations of Retro since after Returns launched.

The one that made my blood boil was back in 2011 people were throwing the MK team under the bus and saying that the DKCR MK7 track and all the redone old tracks were better than anything the MK team did.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Many people want more games from Nintendo with the production values and tone of BotW or SMO/SMG.

That's pretty normal.

It is pretty normal. I've seen people want some AAA mature western focused title from Retro. Is it likely? Time will tell but I doubt it.

The one that made my blood boil was back in 2011 people were throwing the MK team under the bus and saying that the DKCR MK7 track and all the redone old tracks were better than anything the MK team did.

I remember that! Yikes.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 3, 3D DK game, Super Smash, and Pokemon. I couldn't ask for anymore than that. I'm betting on at least 3 out of those 4 this year.

Oct 26, 2017
It is pretty normal. I've seen people want some AAA mature western focused title from Retro. Is it likely? Time will tell but I doubt it.

I don't think this game has to be more mature than BotW (BotW is actually extremely sexual so Retro's game could be less mature) or more focused on America than BOTW for people to be really excited for it.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see some more SMT V footage, but I know that won't happen, so some Hollow Knight and a release date for it and I'll be happy.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Ah so it's one of those multimedia IPs where it's very unclear who owns which license. Well thanks for that research!

Turok could be a pretty good IP for a monster hunting game to be honest. Just look at his hood in that comic. Very much doubt it's happening though.

You know I totally get that most companies now, would rather just make a new IP rather than buy an old one because of cost and legal issues. But Turok just does things that a Nintendo game probably can't.

It's got the name recognition, has the history, and will definitely be able to attract a different audience the typical Nintendo game cannot the same way Bayonetta does.

I know it's not gonna happen, but if Nintendo really wants to change what they bring and get that widespread appeal they probably should invest in a few franchises like that.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this game has to be more mature than BotW (BotW is actually extremely sexual so Retro's game could be less mature) or more focused on America than BOTW for people to be really excited for it.

It's definitely something that would excite people. I'm just going to continue to wait and see. I could see Retro working on a new IP, or Donkey Kong. I just don't believe it will be a game reflecting what people have built Retro up to be in their heads.

Oct 27, 2017

That's pretty normal.
That's not really realistic. Nintendo's a suprisingly efficient developer, but even their AAA titles take time to make. BotW was in development for 5 years. Oddyssey was in development for 3. Big AAA games take time to make, so you can't keep expecting Nintendo to make Blockbusters all the time. They need smaller projects to balance it out, which is how games like Splatoon and ARMS were born. The original Splatoon IIRC, was developed within a year, maybe less.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The first two Pikmin games were decent sellers. Pikmin 1 sold about 1.60 million, which is pretty good for a new IP on a relatively unpopular console like the GameCube. Pikmin 2, which came out during the GCN's twilight years, sold on par with that, at about 1.12 million.

So really, the only mainline game to not crack those numbers was the third game, which was doomed to oblivion by the virtue of being on a console even more unpopular than the GCN. When you think about it, Pikmin 4 could be the series' time to truly shine, as it's the first real game to be released on an actually sucessful console (not counting the New Play Control ports, which no one bought in general considering that line lasted like five games, lol).

Oct 26, 2017
fwiw, Retro's recent artist hires mostly do cartoony stuff... But then again, they absorbed a lot of people from Junction Point (Epic Mickey) after Disney closed that studio because Junction Point is in Austin and most hirings happen based on proximity. Mia Goodwin and Adam Fenton are their top new concept artists and they have done cartoony feminist comics and Disney stuff respectively.

Most people would be satisfied with art similar to Mario or Steven Universe I believe as long as the graphics and dialog and gameplay looked very good.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm

My favorite Wii U game that was made for the system was probably Smash.

I had most fun with Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really curious about Retro's game if it is more cartoony or tries to have an all ages thing because I'm like 97% certain it has online multiplayer based on them hiring people who have only worked on networking for online multiplayer games.

And it has had a lot more story work put into it than prior Retro games also.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how Nintendo Force would have insider information considering their unofficial nature.

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Exactly.

That's pretty normal.
Mario and Zelda are two of the most critically acclaimed and commercial successful franchises the medium has to offer. Furthermore, they both appeal to a global audience. Nintendo is not going to throw that kind of budget behind a "new IP" from Retro Studios. We are more likely to see an ambitious 3D Donkey Kong platformer with high production values than a "AAA shooter" or whatever the fuck else people are asking them to make these days.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there was more money spent on SMO than Horizon: Zero Dawn and Horizon was made by a previously bad developer that had never released a game that lived up to expectations ;)

EA has approved development of a massive, several hundred million dollar new IP from Motive, a studio that has previously done:

-Mass Effect Andromeda
-Battlefront 2 single player
-Cancelled Star Wars Uncharted game

They do have Kim Swift but she hasn't done a AAA video game in a decade.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I've been thinking about a Klonoa revival recently, mainly to coincide with the movie that's supposed to be happening.
Its that as well, but mostly I am surprised Nintendo never tried to follow through with Namco for continuing the revival after the great remake on the Wii. Its one of the rare franchise that are very Nintendo like, both in terms of game design and presentation, and I feel a full Nintendo/Namco collab for a new entry can alleviate some shortcomings of previous entries(mainly game length). Its the 20th Anniversary, so no time is better for it.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Guys, this isn't a shit post but is there even an announced direct ? Or is this 94 pages of hype train?

Oct 27, 2017

This. I think people are going to be disapointed if they're expecting some gritty western AAA style game from Retro. While I personally would be interested in seeing that if only for curiosity sake. I gaurentee you that whatever Retro's working on is going to be far more unique and stylized that these "AAA Western Game" fantasies people keep yammering about.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Fates didn't have a title when it was first announced in January 2015. Wouldn't be impossible.

Also, if the name was in the magazine preview, it would ruin the potential name reveal next week.

I don't think there was more money spent on SMO than Horizon: Zero Dawn and Horizon was made by a previously bad developer that had never released a game that lived up to expectations ;)

Off topic, but I wouldn't call Guerilla Games a bad developer. Killzone 2 was ace and sits at 91 on Metacritic, Killzone 3 at 84. They dropped the ball with the original Killzone and Killzone Shadowfall's campaign, but they were far from a bad developer.

People were worried because they've never been great at telling stories, despite nailing the gameplay in all of their games. Horizon delivered beyond expectations in the end.

Last edited:

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Force, a sort of spiritual successor to Nintendo Power magazine (but not in any way affiliated with Nintendo of America like Nintendo Power was).

Weird to know they have more info than anyone else, if they really have.
I hope it's real, but I don't want to get excited and later disappointed.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
The Nintendo Force Patreon page also says this about that next issue:

We'll take an in-depth look at it, evaluate more modern ports to the Switch like DOOM and Bayonetta 2, and then report on . . . well, some things we aren't able to say publicly here quite yet! (But early 2018's going to be pretty exciting for Switch fans . . . )

So it definitely sounds like they know stuff we don't (and also raises my feeling that this direct's just going to cover the first half of 2018).

Status
Not open for further replies.