• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
o9Znajt.png

Edit 12/4/19:

Last edited:

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Rand looks brutal and hard, just as he should. I'm liking the casting so far.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like that Prison Break actor when he was younger.
Good look though, where's Matt tho? The best character.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh, perrin and nynaeve are great.

I still think the show will be a trainwreck, but I would love to be wrong.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
i don't know what to expect of this...I am bigger fan of WoT than the Sword of Fire and Ice, but I think it will be even tougher to bring to TV, considering it is longer and has larger scale content with a lot more spectacle

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Yooo best character Mat is here now! Really like the quote they're using to reveal them all.

anamika

May 18, 2018
They all look great. I am liking that we are having POC among the Emond's field characters - Nynaeve and Perrin!

Hopefully they can all act well.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All no names as it should be. Young actors for a years long commitment. This show might end up having a better looking cast then a cw show at this rate. Sean Bean for Ishamael please.

remiri

Nov 1, 2017
I just finished reading A Memory of Light, looking forward to the adaptation of one of my new favorite book series!

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Man I love this quote now that I remember it. I got the chills. Also Egwene looks great, the best

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
okay, i am fine with these. Ethnicity / colour is something which is fairly harmless to tweak in the series. There is quite a lot of cultural diversity anyway...much more central than in Martin's books at least.

i am hoping they don't mess with core aspects of the story, however. there is a lot you can chop, but not much that is in should be changed in terms of character development and overall story beats.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They all look great. I am liking that we are having POC among the Emond's field characters - Nynaeve and Perrin!

Hopefully they can all act well.

You know normally when these swaps happen, generally in a modern setting, I dont even blink. Or even if they were characters from more metropolitan areas of the world, no issues. But the Two Rivers is supposed to be largely isolated for like... generations. I'd expect a rural community in a medieval setting with little to no cultural exchange outside of the region to not be terribly diverse.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This should really have been animated.

There is no way they will be able to do this justice. Even the battle in just the first book is probably crazier than the biggest battle in Thrones and that was ridiculously expensive. And that is just the first book and things explode from there.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to finally get around to this series once I finish the Stormlight Archive

anamika

May 18, 2018
You know normally when these swaps happen, generally in a modern setting, I dont even blink. Or even if they were characters from more metropolitan areas of the world, no issues. But the Two Rivers is supposed to be largely isolated for like... generations. I'd expect a rural community in a medieval setting with little to no cultural exchange outside of the region to not be terribly diverse.

I get that. But I don't think Nynaeve, Perrin and Egwene's ethnicity matters as much in terms of story as say Rand's. We could just assume that their parents migrated to the Two Rivers a long, long time ago and leave it at that. It's not going to change the story in any way...

If this was not done, then all the main characters would once again be all white like GOT. I think a little diversity is needed in the fantasy genre and these are the characters where the changes could be made without it affecting the story all that much.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

There is no way they will be able to do this justice. Even the battle in just the first book is probably crazier than the biggest battle in Thrones and that was ridiculously expensive. And that is just the first book and things explode from there.

i agree, not sure how they are going to do this. Maybe bezos personal shilling?

as for ethnicity in the two rivers. why not just make their colour related to Manetharen or whatever. Still it certainly makes Rand stand out even more...but it is not like he looked like two rivers folk at all anyway.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

I do wonder how it will look. Gonna have to trust in prime

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit these all look like pretty great choices just visually speaking.

I agree, but I'll be happy with whatever they do. The dream would be the Avatar Last Airbender studio doing an animated series, but I'm happy the stories are getting told at all. I think the books need the mother of all edits anyways, so I'm happy to see how they cut the fat with live action instead of going with another format known for filler and fluff like animated series.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get that. But I don't think Nynaeve, Perrin and Egwene's ethnicity matters as much in terms of story as say Rand's. We could just assume that their parents migrated to the Two Rivers a long, long time ago and leave it at that. It's not going to change the story in any way...

If this was not done, then all the main characters would once again be all white like GOT. I think a little diversity is needed in the fantasy genre and these are the characters where the changes could be made without it affecting the story all that much.

I don't disagree with diversity being needed in the fantasy genre and would never argue against it. I'm hopeful if Stormlight Archive gets on the ground they don't white wash it. But given that Rand's heritage is openly supposed to be partially foreign and the difference in his appearance from the rest of the Two Rivers folk says to me they should have gone harder on skin tone with Rand, not everyone else.

The degree to which the Two Rivers has been isolated does play heavily into the story.

Edit: hold up, Madeleine Madden is indigenous Australian? I honestly didn't get that from the b&w photo. I think I misinterpreted what was happening here. The Two Rivers in general looks to be darker skinned. This makes a LOT more sense. A bit confused on Mat, tho. Can't find info on the actor.

Last edited:

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I don't disagree with diversity being needed in the fantasy genre and would never argue against it. I'm hopeful if Stormlight Archive gets on the ground they don't white wash it. But given that Rand's heritage is openly supposed to be partially foreign and the difference in his appearance from the rest of the Two Rivers folk says to me they should have gone harder on skin tone with Rand, not everyone else.

The degree to which the Two Rivers has been isolated does play heavily into the story.

If you wanted for them to go with isolated, effectively only marrying withing their area, you'd be looking at very brown people then. The Two Rivers is based around the idea of Charleston, SC which is a pretty heavy mix of black and white. The books imply that the first age is now. Take into it that the area was isolated only after the age of legends, which was far from isolationist, and you'd have either a reasonably diverse group or some very brown people.