• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never owned an AMD processor. If this holds up going forward, I'll get one for my Cyberpunk build next year for sure.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So 18% IPC improvement when compared to CPUs from 2015. That is not very exciting to me. What is that compared to coffee lake, a 5% improvement maybe?

Intel has had the same ipc since skylake. Coffee lake is the exact same tech

And that's why i still have an i7 4770k and until recently i had no bottleneck issues with it even with my RTX 2060, i mean i'm glad AMD is doing a great product and i want to upgrade to them, but i also want to keep it for a few years without needing to replace it too often

Things are likely to change radically when new consoles launch. 8/16 zen 2 cpus will be utilized fully for only 30 fps. Add in the overhead and worse optimization on PCs and high framerate gaming may be a thing of the past

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using an i5-4600k for four and a half years now, and the only two games that have made it choke are Arma 3 and Kingdom Come. Haven't OC'd it. Plan to probably replace it next year.

What has even happened in that time period for AMD and Intel CPUs? When I bought my last one people were talking about still being able to game with 2500ks (albiet overclocked).

Nov 8, 2017
Things are likely to change radically when new consoles launch. 8/16 zen 2 cpus will be utilized fully for only 30 fps. Add in the overhead and worse optimization on PCs and high framerate gaming may be a thing of the past

Crossgen multiplats should prevent games that have pc versions from being "8c16t 3.4gz fully utilised for 30fps" at least for the first year or two. And I do expect that 60fps gaming on console will be as common as now or more except for next gen only open world games.

It's also conceivable that while using a lot more CPU power, a fair few 30fps games will be mainly graphics bottlenecked, and not really fully utilised. But it's gonna be a far cry from 2013 consoles launching with far less power than 2011 i5 cpus.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've been using an i5-4600k for four and a half years now, and the only two games that have made it choke are Arma 3 and Kingdom Come. Haven't OC'd it. Plan to probably replace it next year.

What has even happened in that time period for AMD and Intel CPUs? When I bought my last one people were talking about still being able to game with 2500ks (albiet overclocked).

My i7 3770k is seven years old.

Apr 9, 2018
Take this performance for the lower end SKU and:

- Add 6 more cores
- Bump the boost clock by 400Mhz (4.6ghz from 4.2)
- Use an X570 mobo
- Stick in 3600Mhz memory

And we'll likely have the king of desktop CPUs (12-core 3900X).

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

Can you play any new Ubisoft game above or at 60?

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Crossgen multiplats should prevent games that have pc versions from being "8c16t 3.4gz fully utilised for 30fps" at least for the first year or two. And I do expect that 60fps gaming on console will be as common as now or more except for next gen only open world games.

It's also conceivable that while using a lot more CPU power, a fair few 30fps games will be mainly graphics bottlenecked, and not really fully utilised. But it's gonna be a far cry from 2013 consoles launching with far less power than 2011 i5 cpus.
I agree that early cross gen games that are likely to run at 60 fps on new consoles wont be anything different than today, but i dont expect 60 fps to become much more common once devs abandon the current consoles. I think devs will just utilize the extra grunt to dial other areas up. They will also not just leave the cpu idle while gpu limited. They will find ways to use the resources available. Coding to a single spec benefit

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
Well this 3600 does seem like the new price/performance king (like the 8400 when it launched), but the thread title is pushing it a bit. Intel is not going anywhere. I do expect even better results from Ryzen 3xxx, when paired with better mobo and faster memory, and that's great, because now AMD are truly competative in the desktop market and it will be interesting to see what Intel will come up with their next series of CPUs.

Apr 9, 2018
Will hold off til next year. Sunny Cove is supposed to bring ~18% average IPC gains over Skylake

That really is not coming any time soon. Ice Lake (mobile 10nm) has a 18% ipc gain using dubious methods by Intel. But let's take 18% at face value.

They've gained there that but with these 2 and 4-core Ice Lake mobile processors it appears they've lost 10-15% clockspeed compared to Intel's current 15W and 35W processors.

Regardless, I believe the next two desktop processor launches from Intel will actually still be on 14nm++++, which is bonkers. The last will have to fight Ryzen 4000.

Last edited:

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, AMD is now on another level. Kudos to them for bringing the competition back!
AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-X470-Juegos-2-410x216.jpg

AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-X470-Juegos-4-410x216.jpg

AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-X470-Juegos-3-410x216.jpg
AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-X470-Tests-1-410x324.jpg

This is a 200usd processor, btw https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-5-3600-zen-2-7nm-cpu-review-published-online/
9900K still beats it though.

Nov 8, 2017
That really is not coming any time soon. Ice Lake (mobile 10nm) has a 18% ipc gain using dubious methods by Intel. But let's take 18% at face value.

They've gained there that but with these 2 and 4-core Ice Lake mobile processors it appears they've lost 10-15% clockspeed compared to Intel's current 15W and 35W processors.

Regardless, I believe the next two desktop processor launches from Intel will actually still be on 14nm++++, which is bonkers. The last will have to fight Ryzen 4000.
Desktop Sunny Cove is 2022 afaik. Until then Skylake+++++++++++ 14+++++++++++nm
Wow still this far off?

We have no good info suggesting it's 2022+ before we move to Sunny Cove on desktop (whether that's 14nm, 10nm, or revised 10nm). We're getting 15w laptops this year and servers 1H next year. Desktop could be 2H 2020, or any time 2021. The roadmap that made people freak out was labelled as "SIPP" which is a separate release schedule from normal parts, and not all parts make it into that program (assuming it's even real).

Apr 9, 2018
We have no good info suggesting it's 2022+ before we move to Sunny Cove on desktop (whether that's 14nm, 10nm, or revised 10nm). We're getting 15w laptops this year and servers 1H next year. Desktop could be 2H 2020, or any time 2021. The roadmap that made people freak out was labelled as "SIPP" which is a separate release schedule from normal parts, and not all parts make it into that program (assuming it's even real).

I think 2H 2020 is more realistic than 2022, but would be best case scenario. That will mean Intel's desktop 10nm having to fight 7nm+ Ryzen 4000 with +4-6% IPC and +5% clockspeed over what's coming July 7. Intel will only be able to come out of that battle not on life support if they can get 8-core and 10-core 10nm CPUs clocked higher than 4.3Ghz and closer to 5Ghz. All evidence suggests they are struggling with this feat and then some. Like I said, 2-core 10nm processors from them max out at only 4.3Ghz boost so it doesn't look promising.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Buildzoid has just published his breakdown of sub-$200 MSI X570 board [MSI X570 Gaming Plus, there's even one cheaper than it with worse VRMs].

According to him, this board has more than good VRMs and cooling to "max out" 12c R9 3900X. For 16c, bottleneck is VRM heatsink, he reccomends custom cooler to manage the heat. For memory support, he thinks 2x8GB support will be excellent, but for 2x16GB he thinks only select models will be properly overclockable.

Damn; Gotta build a pc soon. When are these supposed to it ?
July 7th.

Hm, might finally be time to upgrade my 2500K. RAM is still pricey as hell, yes?
RAM prices are falling down, and there is no sign this will stop. Retailers will maybe hold the current prices when Ryzen 3000 launch, but industry analysts are predicting prices to continue going down.

2019-06-2510_15_17-co2dkmq.jpg

]https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gm...b-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-cmw16gx4m2d3000c16

edit - here's one 3600MHz for propper Ryzen 3000 usage :)
]https://pcpartpicker.com/product/d8...b-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c17d-16gtzr

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the rumors are true, it is either late 2020 or it falls into 2021 because of the issues they have been having but we will see.
Then they would be against Zen 3, not Zen 2. And Zen 4 is coming already in 2021, with 5nm.
Intel will have a though few years in the desktop market.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
However, most engines used in such high-end games scale decently these days, and by the time that games are no longer cross-gen, and given AMDs current trajectory, there will be PC CPUs available with twice as many cores (and with each core being significantly faster than in consoles). There might still be problems with specific games which don't scale well, but the general performance should easily be there.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the hyperbole is largely due to AMD being so behind in CPU for so long combined with Intel stagnation and constantly changing sockets and chipsets to an excessive degree. It was especially irritating how they used process nodes to massively improve the IGP instead of spending more than token efforts on improving the actual CPU cores. Sure, if you use integrated graphics it's okayish, but let's be honest, even the best Intel IGP went from terrible to moderately less terrible, yet on your typical Intel s115x die, the damn IGP uses half the space and transistor count, utterly worthless for dGPU users unless they've got a major use case for quicksync.

The truth is that AMD has bumped up from second rate to competent (1000 series) to very good (2000 series) to a full rough equal (but with more cores for the $) in pretty short order (3000 series). All on one socket :)

For gamers with recent Intel builds, it's a big meh. But for new builds or upgrades to 1000/2000 series, it's stellar.

At least that's the way I parse the hyperbole. Intel is of course fine, and making stacks of cash.
I'm still on Sandy Bridge. But yeah...those 16 cores are looking tempting. Actually anticipating when those benchmarks are released.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
However, most engines used in such high-end games scale decently these days, and by the time that games are no longer cross-gen, and given AMDs current trajectory, there will be PC CPUs available with twice as many cores (and with each core being significantly faster than in consoles). There might still be problems with specific games which don't scale well, but the general performance should easily be there.
I hope so. I dont recall many games that scale particularly well passed 4 cores. Performance improves but returns get very diminished with each additional core. Also just in case i didnt word it clearly, when i say high framerate im referring to framerates well above 60

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
RAM prices are falling down, and there is no sign this will stop. Retailers will maybe hold the current prices when Ryzen 3000 launch, but industry analysts are predicting prices to continue going down.

2019-06-2510_15_17-co2dkmq.jpg

]https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gm...b-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-cmw16gx4m2d3000c16

edit - here's one 3600MHz for propper Ryzen 3000 usage :)
]https://pcpartpicker.com/product/d8...b-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c17d-16gtzr
Holy shit, dropped to half price in the last 12 months? That's goddamned glorious. Hopefully those drops are reflected here in Australia too.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people do like to downplay AMD, people forget that they came from the horrible bulldozer with a tenth of the RD from Intel and even then they came with a very competitive product without dispute on a price to performance ratio and core count.

If Zen arch didn't exist (or if it was a Bulldozer 2.0) we would still be rocking an Intel 4c/8t CPU with premium prices.

Oct 27, 2017
Some people do like to downplay AMD, people forget that they came from the horrible bulldozer with a tenth of the RD from Intel and even then they came with a very competitive product without dispute on a price to performance ratio and core count.

If Zen arch didn't exist (or if it was a Bulldozer 2.0) we would still be rocking an Intel 4c/8t CPU with premium prices.

hoh7kg7chj431.jpg

Bless AMD for unlocking the workstation tier equipment (8-16 cores) for the mainstream prices and high single-core clocks.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when Intel refreshes everything they'll still likely beat them out if their processor that's based on pretty old generation stuff beats AMD's newer stuff.
What?

In AMDs lineup the 6 core Ryzen 5 3600 is equivalent to Intels i5 9600K that is £50 more.

The fact that its beating a current gen i7 9700K that has 2 more cores and is £180~ more expensive is staggering. I imagine the 3700X will be close to 9900K for at least £150 less and the 12 core 3900X for around the same price will destroy it.

Nov 8, 2017

Intel was going to have to release 6c mainstream not long after it historically did, because the marginal year on year increases in clock speed were not going to sustain an annual upgrade cycles for much longer. Without Zen, they would have released it ~3-5 months later than they actually did (Coffee Lake was clearly rushed), and it would have been priced higher, and they wouldn't have released the 8c part so soon after most likely or if they did, it would have been 8 cores = i9 across the board.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
The Far Cry 5 test makes me wonder how it compares to a 9600k or 8700k in gaming.

From what i've read the issue is engine specific. And memory latency is something that needs to be addressed according to those charts. Still a little early and x570 could change those scores with proper Bios/Memory support.

Also this was not overclocked. IT ran at stock 3.6ghz with a turbo boost of 4.2.

Imagine a OC'ed ryzen with proper Memory support.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
What does this mean for next gen consoles? Nothing? Alright then!

It means prepare for a wild ride in huge performance boost on consoles.

so it's still slower than a 9900k, a 9 month old processor. good job AMD?

You're joking right?

It's a non overclocked cpu that has 65w tdp, is only 6 core compared to i9's 8core/16 thread chip that is overclocked. Plus it's on a board with a early bios for support, and not a x570 board which handles memory a lot better.

6 core is $200, i9 9900 is $500.

This is huge.

Being able to build a more cost efficient gaming PC that won't be obsolete in a year is now possible again.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Wow, real mature guys!

We should still wait to see how Intel's 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++ compares.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Intel has had the same ipc since skylake. Coffee lake is the exact same tech

Just after the inevitable 2 years with cross gen games. So an upgrade now will be good until 2022.

Dec 25, 2018
Problem is that as much as I would love to upgrade from my i5 6500, I don't think I can justify spending likely $300 on a new processor and board. I play VR and sometimes notice FPS drops. Probably should get a 1440p monitor since I have a gtx 1080.

Any news on board prices?

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I think 2H 2020 is more realistic than 2022, but would be best case scenario. That will mean Intel's desktop 10nm having to fight 7nm+ Ryzen 4000 with +4-6% IPC and +5% clockspeed over what's coming July 7. Intel will only be able to come out of that battle not on life support if they can get 8-core and 10-core 10nm CPUs clocked higher than 4.3Ghz and closer to 5Ghz. All evidence suggests they are struggling with this feat and then some. Like I said, 2-core 10nm processors from them max out at only 4.3Ghz boost so it doesn't look promising.
Remember that amd 7nm is equivalent to Intel's 10nm process.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're joking right?

It's a non overclocked cpu that has 65w tdp, is only 6 core compared to i9's 8core/16 thread chip that is overclocked. Plus it's on a board with a early bios for support, and not a x570 board which handles memory a lot better.

6 core is $200, i9 9900 is $500.

This is huge.

Being able to build a more cost efficient gaming PC that won't be obsolete in a year is now possible again.
Yes yes, and why isn't intel 9600K in these leaked benchmarks? Because maybe these leaked benchmarks are heavily GPU dependant (such as superposition 4K) and if it was compared to lower end intel CPUs then AMD's 200$ CPU wouldn't look as impressive? I mean look at what's happening with FC5.

Let's check TPU review for 9600K, in pretty much all games at 1440p 9600K is equal to 9900K. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-9600k/14.html

Perspective, man, it's all about perspective. You can easily make 9900K look bad if you try hard enough.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember that amd 7nm is equivalent to Intel's 10nm process.

There was a time that i thought that AMD selling its foundries was one mistake that they would not recover from, seeing it now it was the best decision they have done (also it was good that they moved from GloFo to TSMC), seeing Intel struggling to get 10nm out for so long i dont know how AMD would fare if they weren't fabless.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean AMD is forcing Intel to react and to lower prices across the board on their CPUs. In the context of that, how can anyone NOT be excited? THAT is what AMD is bringing! They are bringing in competition, and they are doing it real good. Downplaying that is just pure ignorance, and moving the goalposts so they can downplay AMD in the usual fashion, imo.