Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Aren't they like, trying to hand assemble units in their California warehouse to try to get some to backers before the end of the year? I wonder how that's going.
I think that's just speculation on our end. Also, that once they get the backer units out, they'll just dust their hands and call it a day.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't they like, trying to hand assemble units in their California warehouse to try to get some to backers before the end of the year? I wonder how that's going.
Tallarico has suggested that something like that is possible, but that'd be extremely expensive and also isn't a process that can be started without FCC approval unless they want to risk building high-cost boxes that they legally can't sell.

I suspect this was only ever mentioned to keep people thinking that a 2021 release might happen for as long as possible.

Maybe they could do a raffle for their demo hardware, if it actually is Amico hardware. That'd technically be a 2021 release I guess.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The djslope "interview" with Tommy is disappointing from following his previous Kickscammer videos.

Yeah, I'm not watching Slopes anymore, the interview videos are super gross. Just Tommy doing his "I'm a real-talkin' east coast guy" shtick as they comiserate over stories of being accused of racism.

It's sad to see proximity to Tommy infect someone who really should know better in real-time.

It's ostensibly an interview about a new videogame console, but Tommy spends half the time complaining about "cancel culture" as Slope just smiles and nods. What a trainwreck.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I mean, I kinda get it, because having a Big Boy Office will probably help them trick Walmart into buying some units or something.

Still super gross, though. It'll look nice in his manchild attic when Intellivision fails.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
Steam deck and playdate delayed because they didn't want to be stomped by the Tellircovision, obviously.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
So Panic faced a 2 year wait for the original CPU they'd chosen? I wonder how difficult it's going to be to get the Amico one.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is it similar to this?

lexluthorcakes.jpg

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I wasn't aware there were more outings. What, are they trying to drum up sales for Black Friday?

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
They released the first in their series of gameplay videos today, the game in question being Battle Tanks.

Within minutes it was noticed that the game contains artwork ripped from elsewhere, lol.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Cutting corners by stealing others' work eh? Seems like they want to throw these few games together as quickly as possible, get enough consoles cobbled together to cover backer pre-orders and then close up shop...by hook or by crook. I'm sure this'll somehow be the fault of "haters" who want to see them fail, etc.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Just absolute clown hours over there.

I could see the Amico maybe being worth the whole fiasco if it at least led to some interesting games being made, but it really looks like they're intent on just pumping out shovelware to inflate the number of games so Tommy can brag about a big number to old people.

Amico: Games Made Without Love.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
They released the first in their series of gameplay videos today, the game in question being Battle Tanks.

Within minutes it was noticed that the game contains artwork ripped from elsewhere, lol.
So watching through this, even if we put aside the fact that they've stolen artwork, this was planned to be the first big gameplay showcase of a game that they presumably thought was ready and, like we all expected, there really isn't much to it. Spacewar! was more complicated than this. Despite this, they've saddled the game with three separate control systems that the player seemingly has to choose each time, two of which require use of the touchscreen to replicate twin-stick shooting, because the Amico controller just doesn't have the controls they need to do this most basic of games properly.

Even worse, despite the total lack of complexity it's not running smoothly. It's something like 40FPS maybe. If Amico is struggling with this then it'll struggle with virtually everything.

Oct 25, 2017
The German site heise had a hands-on preview last week:
www.heise.de

Intellivision Amico ausprobiert: Die Konsole mit dem Wollmilchsau-Controller

Die Intellivision Amico ist eine US-Konsole mit Videospielen aus Deutschland und einem Controller, der alles können soll. Heise online konnte probespielen.
Nothing special about it, they like the idea of a family console but call it too expensive and say the controller is trying too many things at once.

But there's this little nugget in there (DeepL translation):
Intellivision is a US company, but the German influence is huge: 17 of the family console's roughly 25 launch games were developed by German studios, including "Space Strikers" by Couch in the Woods and "Intellivision Skiing" by Aesir Interactive. The main person responsible for this is European Managing Director Hans Ippisch, who used to work as a games journalist and managed the Computec publishing house. Now Ippisch has coordinated the game development for Amico, which was also partly supported by funding from the federal and state governments.

Maybe that's mean, but honestly, that whole part made me think of Uwe Boll and how he tricked the German film fund to pay for his garbage movies.

Last edited:
Stolen art used in official demo

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Links for anyone that doesn't know what we're talking about.

There are some more examples uncovered in the comments, too.

So watching through this, even if we put aside the fact that they've stolen artwork, this was planned to be the first big gameplay showcase of a game that they presumably thought was ready and, like we all expected, there really isn't much to it. Spacewar! was more complicated than this. Despite this, they've saddled the game with three separate control systems that the player seemingly has to choose each time, two of which require use of the touchscreen to replicate twin-stick shooting, because the Amico controller just doesn't have the controls they need to do this most basic of games properly.

Even worse, despite the total lack of complexity it's not running smoothly. It's something like 40FPS maybe. If Amico is struggling with this then it'll struggle with virtually everything.
Yeah. I didn't watch all of it for obvious reasons, but the bits I skipped to didn't look particularly appealing. The shockwave or whatever it's supposed to be looks very weird. It all looks like various parts thrown together as one rushed thing, it doesn't look cohesive with a dedicated vision or anything.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
The tank game is yet another example of something that will get old incredibly quickly, and I can't think of a way of controlling it well with that controller.

You'll probably be fighting the controller as much as you are the other players.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It blows my mind that the weird shills are all "it looks like FUN has returned to gaming!"

I guess none of them have had Steam or Android. Extremely low-effort asset flips and rips have been there all along! You could have been having this kind of fun for years!

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK
It blows my mind that the weird shills are all "it looks like FUN has returned to gaming!"

I guess none of them have had Steam or Android. Extremely low-effort asset flips and rips have been there all along! You could have been having this kind of fun for years!

Yeah, I just watched a ridiculously enthusiastic reaction video to see some footage of the tank game.

What are these people on.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
This is such an ugly game. Everything from its UI to its graphics is just so basic and nothing really meshes well together.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

Yeah, but do either of those have the word 'Intellivision' plastered onto them, as a nostalgia bait cash grab? I think not.
Yeah, I just watched a ridiculously enthusiastic reaction video to see some footage of the tank game.

What are these people on.
Yeah, beyond Tommy's clownish behavior, the army of YouTuber shills are also quite amusing, simply for these kind reactions.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
is battletanks with the stolen assets an in-house intellivision developed product?

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
On AA Tommy has claimed that he developed/named many of the launch games or their modes and also "redone" the music in most of them in his constant efforts to pad his paid Guinness World Record.

Last edited:

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Amico fanboys are really pretending to be impressed by something that's 20-odd years behind what indie devs have been putting out on various platforms? Some of the worst Wii shovelware had more involved gameplay than that tank game. It's basically a less charming version of that Wii Play tank mini-game.
Then again, these are the people claiming to be excited by fucking Cornhole, so I suppose this is like a AAA release in comparison.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I love that they went for a "realistic" visual style for their tank game on an ostensibly non-violent system for families.

Coulda went cartoony, but presumably there were more realistic tank assets out there to rip off.

teletrong1

Jul 7, 2021
Amico fanboys are really pretending to be impressed by something that's 20-odd years behind what indie devs have been putting out on various platforms? Some of the worst Wii shovelware had more involved gameplay than that tank game. It's basically a less charming version of that Wii Play tank mini-game.
Then again, these are the people claiming to be excited by fucking Cornhole, so I suppose this is like a AAA release in comparison.

I have a hard time believing how those people can be so willfully stupid.