Status
Not open for further replies.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017

Here are all the variants in this thread.

Black - HERE

Purple - HERE

SFAM - HERE

TP - HERE and HERE

Well I feel dumb now. Missed that completely. Thanks!

Saw someone on twitter say that the new SN series controllers are more clicky than the regular 8bitdo pads. I'd love to hear impressions on them.

Super Everdrive and SD2SNES might be expensive, but at this point it beats buying the carts individually unless you really want to own the original carts (which I don't blame you because I'm one of those types). It's crazy how much SNES games have jumped in the past 2 years. Glad I got in and out when I did.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
I was starting to price out my "must buy" SNES games and it was in the thousands of dollars, so at least for now, SD2SNES is a viable alternative. I definitely want the original carts, but I think i'll have to do it slowly and/or wait for prices to drop.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Well I feel dumb now. Missed that completely. Thanks!

Saw someone on twitter say that the new SN series controllers are more clicky than the regular 8bitdo pads. I'd love to hear impressions on them.

Super Everdrive and SD2SNES might be expensive, but at this point it beats buying the carts individually unless you really want to own the original carts (which I don't blame you because I'm one of those types). It's crazy how much SNES games have jumped in the past 2 years. Glad I got in and out when I did.

Haha yeah, a friend of mine has just spend £70,000 on all Snes (ignoring all the weird horse racing/puzzle games) and all Megadrive! It's a crazy collection to behold.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. That's a crazy amount of money to spend. I cobbled a fairly nice loose collection together over two or three years starting in 2013, and with smart purchases, reselling yardsale doubles, and getting in before everything went crazy I probably only have about $1000-1500 of my actual money put into it.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Hoping this will just get custom firmware or whatever so we can just load NES roms. I've seen others guess, and agree, that we'll see a new cheaper NES version in the future. Seems crazy to bring back a way more expensive NES now that they have this cheap(er) SNES console. The idea of a new NES model obviously might make them be very against allowing the SNES to run NES roms, though.

I actually want that more expensive NES console, but really I just want an NES reference quality console without the awful pins of my front loader, and without the awful video of the top loader....and without having to mod.

Oct 27, 2017
Me and one of the worst collection of SNES games are halfway ready.

SpNSSPi.jpg

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I actually want that more expensive NES console, but really I just want an NES reference quality console without the awful pins of my front loader, and without the awful video of the top loader....and without having to mod.

Have you looked into the Retrousb AVS? I went that route and like it a lot. It's doesn't have all the fancy scaling options that the nt has, but the image still looks fantastic, and since it's 720p it'll scale to 4K at a regular integer.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I didn't collect them, I was old enough to buy them when they were new. I just had the good habit of keeping the boxes in good condition. I think I even have the receipts for some of them.

I will say Aero the Acrobat was probably a mistake though. That and Paladin's quest.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I think you could do much worse than Aero and Paladin's Quest. Death Valley Rally and Secret of the Stars, for example.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
Have you looked into the Retrousb AVS? I went that route and like it a lot. It's doesn't have all the fancy scaling options that the nt has, but the image still looks fantastic, and since it's 720p it'll scale to 4K at a regular integer.

I do like the AVS, but FWIW the Nt Mini does support 5x by 6x integer scaling which looks great on a 4k tv. It provides a more authentic pixel aspect ratio then the 4:3 or 1:1 options provided in 720p. Plus you get a bigger image with overscan cropping virtually identical to what you'd see on a CRT.

Seraphic

Oct 29, 2017
I ordered a Black Super NT (Analogue ships these 2/7/18 btw) and my Black 8Bitdo controller arrived today.

Does stuff like this bother anyone else? Companies (not just Analogue) give free review games/consoles/etc weeks in advance to YouTube "Influencers" because they like to think of us as nothing more then sheep with money?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I do like the AVS, but FWIW the Nt Mini does support 5x by 6x integer scaling which looks great on a 4k tv. It provides a more authentic pixel aspect ratio then the 4:3 or 1:1 options provided in 720p. Plus you get a bigger image with overscan cropping virtually identical to what you'd see on a CRT.

Yeah, I have the AVS as well. AVS vs NT Mini:

-720p only which means the image will be stretched on pretty much all non 4k dispays
-Aspect ratios are limited to either too wide or too narrow
-No rom loading without an everdrive or similar
-Only supports the NES

+Built in game genie support
+Online scoreboard support

Can you and anyone else that is getting a controller giver their impressions on it? I'm curious if it's worth it. Thanks.

I received mine and the controllers are exactly the same as the old SF30/SN30 controllers. You can just check out some reviews. The only real difference is that they were packed in with the SNES receivers.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
Does stuff like this bother anyone else? Companies (not just Analogue) give free review games/consoles/etc weeks in advance to YouTube "Influencers" because they like to think of us as nothing more then sheep with money?

Well, considering, all Super NT models are sold out, the act of giving away review units and forcing an embargo until the 7th, from a commercial point of view makes no difference at all.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

As long as they are upfront, doesn't bother me. I mean, it isn't much different than companies sending review copies of games to IGN or Game Informer. Or studios letting critics see movies early and for free. Or any tech company sending out their phones/tablets/whatever out to reviewers. They are all doing it for their own gains, obviously.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I received mine and the controllers are exactly the same as the old SF30/SN30 controllers. You can just check out some reviews. The only real difference is that they were packed in with the SNES receivers.

Someone mentioned the d-pad is more clicky on the new controllers. Any truth to that?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
hey, does anyone have any time with the SN30 Pro controllers? I want to get one that will work with the Super NT mini, the SNES Classic, and my Switch. I like the Pro because of the sticks but I'm not sure.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Someone mentioned the d-pad is more clicky on the new controllers. Any truth to that?

I compared one to my old SF30 controller and they were functionally identical in every way. Compared to an actual SNES controller they are both just as clicky. A real SNES controller feels mushy by comparison.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I compared one to my old SF30 controller and they were functionally identical in every way. Compared to an actual SNES controller they are both just as clicky. A real SNES controller feels mushy by comparison.

Cool. Thanks for the info! One less thing to worry about but now it makes the decision harder.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth $20 to have the controller look more authentic by going with the older version over the new one....

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Here it is, in all its glory...

It feels gooood to me. I'll get some play time on it in just a little bit.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered a Black Super NT (Analogue ships these 2/7/18 btw) and my Black 8Bitdo controller arrived today.

As a gut reaction, a bit. But the reality is, like every other flavor of marketing, these people reach tons of potential buyers, and sending them a review unit (you're basically losing cost + shipping) is cheaper than traditional forms of advertising. I absolutely want disclosure, though. Are they being paid for this review? Did they pay for the unit and just had it sent early? Is it a review unit or is it theirs to keep? That kinda stuff is important to me because it does influence the review.

That might be good. Is the hardware emulation reference quality like the NT mini?

Yes.

Yeah, I have the AVS as well. AVS vs NT Mini:

-720p only which means the image will be stretched on pretty much all non 4k dispays
-Aspect ratios are limited to either too wide or too narrow
-No rom loading without an everdrive or similar
-Only supports the NES

+Built in game genie support
+Online scoreboard support

Stretched isn't the right word. On 1080p TVs the image will be scaled. Only the purist of the pure enthusiasts will have a real issue with this, and if they do, they're better off with the NT.

As for the stretching, you're half right. Set your aspect ratio to the far right (5:3), put your TV in 4:3 mode, and bam, looks fine. Here's a quick and dirty photo from my 6S on a 51" Samsung Plasma (768p if ya wanna get nasty). You can't really tell, but there's about a 1.5 inch black border around the top and bottom (the AVS is at default cropping), so yes, the mini fills the screen a bit more. The downside is that in 1080p mode, I've heard scan lines aren't quite perfect. It's a trade off.

IkKMc.jpg

You're right on the other points, though. It can't be jailbroken and it on supports NES and Famicom (also the disk drive). It's a trade off of saving $250.

Cool. Thanks for the info! One less thing to worry about but now it makes the decision harder.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth $20 to have the controller look more authentic by going with the older version over the new one....

Same. I really don't want to get the matching controller, but the idea of spending an extra $20 on something entirely cosmetic is just... frustrating. Maybe I'll just stick with my OEM's and wait for a sale.

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
On 1080p TVs the image will be scaled. Only the purist of the pure enthusiasts will have a real issue with this, and if they do, they're better off with the NT.

Nah, you don't have to be a purist. 720p to 1080p looks like ass if you use a scanline effect. The ratio is too close and some of the simulated rasters will be noticeably thicker than others regardless of the algorithm used. Nasty.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Same. I really don't want to get the matching controller, but the idea of spending an extra $20 on something entirely cosmetic is just... frustrating. Maybe I'll just stick with my OEM's and wait for a sale.

Heh, if it helps, I realized it's only about a $16 difference since the new one has tax on it while the older one doesn't =)

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, you don't have to be a purist. 720p to 1080p looks like ass if you use a scanline effect. The ratio is too close and some of the simulated rasters will be noticeably thicker than others regardless of the algorithm used. Nasty.

Good to know. My 720p plasma is still my main TV (that color saturation/contrast) so the scan lines look mostly great for me.

It's all a trade off though. You're paying $250 more, so you get more options. Personally speaking, I'm going to go from 720p to 4k, so having that 1080p option is a big ask when it's that much more of a price hike. The cores are definitely a nice touch, but I'd rather play most of those games on original hardware. I think the AVS is probably the best option for most people. It looks great when you set it up right, and it's very affordable.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
^ man, I wish I had the money to collect CIB stuff. I'm a cartridge chump. Good cartridges, tho :3
I don't know, I feel like CiB games are way too expensive nowadays. Even if I had the money, spending 100-300+ on cardboard and manuals feels like a waste of money (for me). I am fine with cartridge only. Way more affordable and you need less space. I mean those boxes look really nice especially that japanese art), but not for those prices they go for. Even games that you would consider "hidden gems" aren't so hidden anymore and cost a ridiculous amount of money in some cases.

Hope SNES prices will fall some day again but I doubt it. And I am not a fan of Everdrives.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Alright I'll look into AVS then. As for Super NES, I already have a RGB compatible Super Famicom, and I plan on getting those component cables for it.

I still just liked the design of the NT and NT Mini though. :/

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I feel like CiB games are way too expensive nowadays. Even if I had the money, spending 100-300+ on cardboard and manuals feels like a waste of money (for me). I am fine with cartridge only. Way more affordable and you need less space. I mean those boxes look really nice especially that japanese art), but not for those prices they go for. Even games that you would consider "hidden gems" aren't so hidden anymore and cost a ridiculous amount of money in some cases.

Hope SNES prices will fall some day again but I doubt it. And I am not a fan of Everdrives.

You're not kidding. Earlier this week I scored a box of cases for Genesis games for a song. Unfortunately no manuals, but there was a Musha case in there. Just that stupid art insert (because the case isn't special) is worth $75-100. It's insanity.

Alright I'll look into AVS then. As for Super NES, I already have a RGB compatible Super Famicom, and I plan on getting those component cables for it.

I still just liked the design of the NT and NT Mini though. :/

Yeah, I have my 1Chip Snes hooked up with HD Retrovision's cables and it looks pretty nice, even though my tv that supports 240p stretches the image vertically a bit. If the Super Nt wasn't announced, I'd probably be buying an OSSC right now. Hell, I'm still probably going to buy one anyway for TG16, Genesis, Saturn, and PS1 support (and maybe NEO GEO if I ever buy a modded MVS or find an AES for a reasonable price), because I'm fairly confident that PS1/64/Neo Geo FPGAs are years off.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
So what's the likelihood they restock these things? I have two snes consoles and am framemeister....but I still think I want this thing and skipped the initial batch.

Skywalker

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is there any downside at all to using the Super Nt with roms or flashcarts as opposed to using the original carts as far as sound/video quality etc?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any downside at all to using the Super Nt with roms or flashcarts as opposed to using the original carts as far as sound/video quality etc?

No one knows how ROMs will go, or if they will. We kind of assume, but who knows for sure.

There would be no drop in quality from a real cart versus a room or flashcart. If you have an SD2SNES you can get into MSU1 mods, which add CD-quality audio to games. It is fucking awesome, but there aren't many games out there.

So what's the likelihood they restock these things? I have two snes consoles and am framemeister....but I still think I want this thing and skipped the initial batch.

They have said they are making more and can get them done far quicker and easier than the NES.

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know. My 720p plasma is still my main TV (that color saturation/contrast) so the scan lines look mostly great for me.

It's all a trade off though. You're paying $250 more, so you get more options. Personally speaking, I'm going to go from 720p to 4k, so having that 1080p option is a big ask when it's that much more of a price hike. The cores are definitely a nice touch, but I'd rather play most of those games on original hardware. I think the AVS is probably the best option for most people. It looks great when you set it up right, and it's very affordable.

idk. Having owned both I feel that the Nt Mini offers significantly more value for most people. For the extra $265 you're getting 1080p HDMI + RGB/Component/S-Video/Composite + rom support with better compability
than the $140 Everdrive + simulation of 17 (!) additional consoles including Master System, Game Gear, Colecovision, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, 2600, 7800, etc + in game menu customizability + a ton more menu options like custom palettes off the sd card + other stuff I'm forgetting

Status
Not open for further replies.