• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It seems I will be able to power this thing directly from my TV's USB ports!

Yep, just like the AVS.

I guess if Super NT is jailbroken it should be able to handle these systems?

PC Engine
Megadrive
Amiga
(I suspect expecting Neo Geo would be a bit too much).

What's interesting is if Analogue will allow this, considering that being able to play NES games on Super NT would cannibalise future NT Mini sales.

Yes, the Cyclone V could handle all those systems and even the Neo-Geo if the Super NT had enough ram, but any new cores Kevtris makes will be for future standalone consoles. He gave us all those 8-bit cores for free because he was sitting on them for years and Analogue probably has no interest making standalone hardware for them.

Last edited:

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
So, I can't find this anywhere, but has the original NT Mini been discontinued for good, or will it ever come back?

If I knew that rom-loading was definitely coming along with the support the Mini NT has already I would buy this in a heartbeat, but aesthetically, I really like the look of the original NT Mini.

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest question in my mind lately has stlll been those Retro-Bit compilation carts (Jaleco Brawlers Pack, The Joe & Mac Collection, the upcoming R-Type Returns) I mentioned before, and whether or not they will work with this. I would imagine they would, but I'd love to be sure. Is there somewhere to contact Analogue and ask?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
So, I can't find this anywhere, but has the original NT Mini been discontinued for good, or will it ever come back?

If I knew that rom-loading was definitely coming along with the support the Mini NT has already I would buy this in a heartbeat, but aesthetically, I really like the look of the original NT Mini.

The Super NT might be the replacement for the NT Mini. If kevtris releases a jailbreak that includes all the systems the Mini supported then the Mini instantly becomes obsolete. He most likely has plans for reasonably priced pin adapters for all the hardware those systems supported if you still want to use the original carts and controllers like he did for the Mini.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I can't wait for this. I hope everyone actually gets their systems next month. Not feeling too confident with the radio silence from them. You'd think they'd be showing these off everywhere if they were shipping soon.

I asked them yesterday, and I was told they are shipping the first 2 weeks of Feb.

Anyone else ordered an Everdrive to go with this?

Yep, got hold of a Krikzz one.

idc

Jan 20, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
I can't understand why Analogue would prevent the release of a jailbroken firmware when the console for which it could "cannibalise" the sales isn't even available to buy.

If I was in Kev's position, basically doing all of the leg-work for the development of the console, I'd perhaps expect to have certain "freedoms" specified in the contract.

But really, is this an Analogue product, for which Kevtris has done the development? Or a Kevtris product for which Analogue are doing the manufacturing and distribution? So who really calls the shots?

It's all just speculation right now anyway. We're unlikely to get an official answer before release, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
How will it connect to the system? (will it be ugly?)
It will connect via the HDMI port. Ugly or not will be subjective. I might like it, you might think it's ugly. Time will tell I guess.

The biggest question in my mind lately has stlll been those Retro-Bit compilation carts (Jaleco Brawlers Pack, The Joe & Mac Collection, the upcoming R-Type Returns) I mentioned before, and whether or not they will work with this. I would imagine they would, but I'd love to be sure. Is there somewhere to contact Analogue and ask?
If it works on the real SNES, it should work on the Super NT.

Anyone want to sell me there nt mini ?
I could only do it for an obscene amount lol.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I can't understand why Analogue would prevent the release of a jailbroken firmware when the console for which it could "cannibalise" the sales isn't even available to buy.

If I was in Kev's position, basically doing all of the leg-work for the development of the console, I'd perhaps expect to have certain "freedoms" specified in the contract.

But really, is this an Analogue product, for which Kevtris has done the development? Or a Kevtris product for which Analogue are doing the manufacturing and distribution? So who really calls the shots?

It's all just speculation right now anyway. We're unlikely to get an official answer before release, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Kevtris seems to be the only person who can turn around a project like this in a year. It's a very niche skillset. So he probably has a lot of power in negotiation. Ideally Analogue is licensing the cores from him and he retains all control. It just depends on what type arrangement they got into. Kevtris seems like a great guy that is really into giving back to the community, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Anyone want to sell me there nt mini ?

They seem to be going for $900+ on ebay, so it's probably not worth it unless you are a collector.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
so like the snes mini this is powered by usb correct?

so I can buy any usb power adapter and that will work?

cacophony

Oct 27, 2017
The Super NT might be the replacement for the NT Mini. If kevtris releases a jailbreak that includes all the systems the Mini supported then the Mini instantly becomes obsolete. He most likely has plans for reasonably priced pin adapters for all the hardware those systems supported if you still want to use the original carts and controllers like he did for the Mini.

I think it's far more likely that they'll release a lower cost version of the NES console, which has a plastic shell and only hdmi output. Cartridge adapters were never actually released for the Nt Mini. They might eventually come out but it's hard for me to believe Analogue's core product lineup will be dependent on them.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's far more likely that they'll release a lower cost version of the NES console, which has a plastic shell and only hdmi output. Cartridge adapters were never actually released for the Nt Mini. They might eventually come out but it's hard for me to believe Analogue's core product lineup will be dependent on them.

I'd get one if they do that.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
For anybody who already owns an 8bitdo SN/SF 30 2.4G controller and is hoping to use it on a Super Nt, I don't think it's going to be compatible.

This is what you'll own at the moment, it says 2.4G Wireless Controller on the front.

iu

To use a 8bitdo controller with a real SNES you'll need the 8bitdo Retro Receiver but on the Retro Receiver page it says that it's not compatible with the above controller.

On the Analogue Super Nt they advertise a controllerwith the same nameand the pre-order page for it on Amazon gives it a launch date of February 1st 2018. Now although this controller has the same name you'll notice that the writing is a different colour and it actually says Bluetooth Controller under the logo, which is compatible with the Retro Receiver.

71zwQnV5nML._AC_.jpg

Although 8bitdo haven't been very clear about the two versions of that controller, it seems that if you already own one and we're hoping to use it on the Super Nt, you're not going to be able to. I have visions of people getting their console at launch unboxing it and they're just not going to be able to use it because they don't have a compatible controller.

Just thought it was worth pointing that out incase somebody here already owns one and thinks that it's going to work.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
For anybody who already owns an 8bitdo SN/SF 30 2.4G controller and is hoping to use it on a Super Nt, I don't think it's going to be compatible.

This is what you'll own at the moment, it says 2.4G Wireless Controller on the front.

Eh, the one I bought well over a year ago for my NT says bluetooth on it, so this is not universally true. If you check on amazon they appear to have both types available for sale. I'm not sure if they are compatible, but all the 2.4G ones on amazon appear to be aimed at the nes/snes classic.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
TSM
Most 8bitdo controllers are bluetooth compatible but not the version that I've posted about, that's a pretty recent release and the bluetooth version is still listed as unreleased by 8bitdo. Amazon state it's launched the same day as the Super Nt.

They have loads of bluetooth controllers that will be compatible with the Analogue consoles via the Retro Receiver.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I read your original comment incorrectly. Yeah, for whatever reason they appear to be aiming their 2.4G devices exclusively at the nes/snes classic. I'm not sure what the rationale is for having two different standards. Basically do not buy the 2.4G versions if you want to use them with anything other then the nes/snes classic. If you already own the controllers you seem to be out of luck.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
That's it.

I've only just noticed it and I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere but I just didn't want people at launch not being able to play it because it hadn't explained very well.

I already own a 8bitdo bluetooth controller and the 2.4G I mentioned I also ordered the newer bluetooth model that launches at the beginning of February too. As far as I was aware they would all be compatible with my Retro Receivers because they just haven't been clear about the whole thing. It wouldn't really matter to me as I already have a bluetooth controller.

The 2.4G controllers seem to be cheaper than the bluetooth ones so they're fine if you do have one of the Nintendo mini consoles. I have visions of people buying the wrong ones.

EMGESP

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Honestly, I'd avoid using any kind of repros as they have questionable quality. Either original carts or something like an SD2SNES is all I would recommend using.

Not really obsolete since many will still want to use original carts and controllers. I see them making a more inexpensive NT Mini with plastic casing over releasing the NES core to Super NT users.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I'm waiting on the 8bitdo controllers because I already have a lot of SNES+ SFC controllers. That and I want to see how reviews of the controller with the console come out.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
That was a real lucky find. My main CRT is a 27" Sharp, have an HD Wega and a 14" PVM. But likely the Super NT will be on the HDTV as I have original SNES hardware on the CRTs. But with the DAC and SNT performance, that may change.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I eagerly await the NDA being lifted on kevtris to see what he has planned if anything. I wonder if My Life In Gaming had an early hands on with this.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Waiting for mine too. I have a pre-order for one of the SN30 controllers for it at Amazon also despite my misgivings about the dpad (wasn't impressed with the NES30 that came with my NT mini).

There's something ironic about running retro games on a cutting edge OLED TV. :)

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know about February 7th.

I really can't wait to get mine, the first game I try will probably will more than likely be my Super Famicom version of Super Mario World 2. It'll be great if they do add more features to the console moving forwards but I will be completely happy if they don't allow to rip ROMs, I'm happy with the feature set as it is although extras would be a hell of a bonus.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
Me too! Between black & transparent it was a really hard choice. Turns out transparent is sold out now.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember which one I got

Anyway I'm debating going for a MiSTer too now

Genesis core is mighty impressive, PCE one seems super advanced and the x68k one makes me giddy af

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went for the boring SNES purple. I was too clouded by nostalgia to consider any of the other colours...

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
50$ shipping to Germany. That makes 240$ without a controller and customs. I don't care for a controller (just use my SFC ones) but I would probably buy a Super NT if the shipping wouldn't be so ridiculously expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.